Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SEASON TWO CHAT STARTS HERE!

A murder mystery starring Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez. As it's a mystery I don't want to talk plot in this post (which means it gets to be low effort, yay) but there will naturally be spoilers from the next post onwards as Episode 4 dropped yesterday and it was great.

So if the cast alone isn't enough to tempt you, here's a few other tidbits

* as well as the main cast, the supporting cast and guests have been pretty great. Episodes 3 and 4 brought in some new faces and all of them were cool and good if you ask me.
* 30 minute episodes! Always a relief when a new show comes out that doesn't hog too much time.
* show seems to know when to resolve issues between characters rather than dragging them out too long

So join us for another episode of Only Murders in the Building, where we ask who is was Tim Kono.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show’s real good so far, and ep 4 had some extremely interesting developments.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes! Relief that Sting didn't try to murder a dog, he played himself as an rear end in a top hat superbly in Episode 3 so the turnaround was very enjoyable. Having Steve M/Martin S find out that Selena did know Tim was a relief as that's what I was a little worried about dragging out. Every episode has done a great job with the cliffhangers, and... Tina!

(just realised I spoilered out stuff that's aired and is fair game)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm enjoying it overall, but I do think that Selena Gomez can't act well. Surprisingly for me I think Martin Short, who I've never really enjoyed before, is the standout of the cast.

I do think it's funny that we're getting a Serial parody seven years after Serial came out, six years after the second season tanked, and four years after American Vandal absolutely nailed doing a Serial parody.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Completely missed that this had started already.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like Martin Short, but he always plays some cringy loser that other characters don't like.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really like the show so far. I wonder how much Sting stuff there is. I figured at first they must have just had him there for a day to do the elevator scene and the selfie, but then there's this whole episode about him.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Cojawfee posted:

I really like the show so far. I wonder how much Sting stuff there is. I figured at first they must have just had him there for a day to do the elevator scene and the selfie, but then there's this whole episode about him.

Well, IMDB is cheating a bit but He's only in 2 episodes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

While I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case, IMDb aren’t super accurate for web shows that are still airing. It thought Jane Krakowski was in every episode of Schmigadoon and she very much wasn’t.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Kudos to the show/actress for holding that bassoon correctly and even shaping the mouth correctly to play. I don't think I've ever actually seen that before lol

Sad times about the date though :(

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just started it. I'm a fan

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I wish Gomez was better, she doesn't really hold up against Martin and Short.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just caught up on this today and I'm mostly enjoying it so far. Martin Short's character is a bit hard to take at times, but other than that it's all been good and I'm invested in the mystery.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This is good fun, but the least interesting part of it to me is the mystery of the death itself. I'm hoping it turns out to have been a suicide and they just all go off the rails in their true crime fuelled quest foe the "truth.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am really enjoying the show, Gomez obviously don’t have the same amount of acting experience as the two others, but I think she is doing well.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Laughing Zealot posted:

I wish Gomez was better, she doesn't really hold up against Martin and Short.

I can cut her the slack. Short and Martin have over 50 years of acting and performing experience each. Even with Selena acting since she was 10, literally growing up on the screen, you just can't hope to match that level of comfort being in a character and acting without being a once in a generation acting genius.

I like her character overall as the modern foil to the two Boomer old men who have less than no clue about modern times.

The texting jokes about not drafting them like letters or signing them killed me, and apparently annoyed my parents (who absolutely still do that).

Tiggum posted:

Just caught up on this today and I'm mostly enjoying it so far. Martin Short's character is a bit hard to take at times, but other than that it's all been good and I'm invested in the mystery.

I think that's just exactly what the character is supposed to be though. He's a overly hopeful, way too high strung, wanna be Broadway tastemaker who just needs one more hit to make it.

Senor Tron posted:

This is good fun, but the least interesting part of it to me is the mystery of the death itself. I'm hoping it turns out to have been a suicide and they just all go off the rails in their true crime fuelled quest foe the "truth.

I think episode one, the line from the detective about "You true crime idiots looking for trouble", has a good chance to end up being this series' "we told you all what the plot was, you just didn't listen".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Crain posted:

I think that's just exactly what the character is supposed to be though. He's a overly hopeful, way too high strung, wanna be Broadway tastemaker who just needs one more hit to make it.

Definitely. It's just that occasionally he crosses the line from annoying the other characters to annoying me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Crain posted:

I think episode one, the line from the detective about "You true crime idiots looking for trouble", has a good chance to end up being this series' "we told you all what the plot was, you just didn't listen".

If that's the case, I worry that'll be a repeat of another recent show that did the exact same thing.

(Can't really indicate what the show is without giving away the twist, but I don't want to be needlessly coy about it so: Search Party.)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Gomez is killing it. gently caress the haters

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Definitely. It's just that occasionally he crosses the line from annoying the other characters to annoying me.

It’s funny, Martin Short is usually my least favorite part of just about anything he’s in but I’m actually down with him in this show. His character being unable to shut off giving acting directions in otherwise normal conversations is my favorite thing.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

RC Cola posted:

Gomez is killing it. gently caress the haters

Yeah, she's doing fine. She's just kinda overshadowed by a couple of really talented, really manic comedy actors that have been working together longer than she's been alive. Most actors in her position would be the odd one out.

Oh, and looks like the show got renewed for Season 2. I wasn't sure if they were angling for that or if it was going to be a one-off deal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What exactly don't people like about Gomez? She seems fine to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gomez is clearly the deadpan straight man to Martin and Short so I don’t think it matters that she’s not as outrageously funny as them. She’s very good at her role

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Gomez is clearly the deadpan straight man to Martin and Short so I don’t think it matters that she’s not as outrageously funny as them. She’s very good at her role

That's a good point I hadn't realized. Steve and Short's character's are bored semi-retired boomers treating the mystery as either a brake from monotony or as a means to make money (aside from morbid curiosity). Gomez's character is trying to actually solve her friend's murder. So it makes total sense for her to be quite a bit less animated in the story about it.

Side note: The GF and I immediately loved Oscar. Best new character yet. He's so affable.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
I get the Gomez backlash, but it seems like a lot of the plot is heavily weighted on her character. She is being an actual character while Martin and Short get to be themselves.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Things are really picking up!

I didn't think we'd seen the last of the detective, but I wouldn't have guessed that she'd end up helping them anonymously after botching her own investigation.

Also, I'm wondering if having these voiceovers from the side characters is a way to indicate that they'll eventually be on the podcast, and these are actually snippets from those future episodes

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
People haven't seen stunt casting until they've seen Rhianna in Bates Motel.

Gomez is great. She's a bit stiff, but she's convincing despite it -- she comes across as giving a distinct performance despite not being totally naturalistic. I can't imagine anyone else in the role, like I could if she were played by, I dunno, Lucy Hale or someone equally boring.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not good at Photoshop but someone should make “Only Mulders in the Building” where the two guys are regular male Duchovny and Gomez is Denise from Twin Peaks

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I super dig the theme music for striking the exactly right tone.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Super cool, reminds me of the Master of None episode from a deaf character's perspective, but it also feels a little more special that people weren't speaking in the hearing scenes either (except the very last one, of course). I wasn't expecting that many reveals in a single episode--feels like everything is finally coming to a head

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah it was reveal city.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This show is amazing, anyone on the fence should watch it. The first two episodes may not grab you but give it at least to the third before deciding to call it quits.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Avoiding reading the thread until I can get caught up (2 episodes in) but so far I absolutely adore this show and I've found what they're doing with the three main characters and the things they do (and more importantly do NOT) say fascinating.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wish this show had hour long episodes, I want more.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

my face during that whole episode: :aaaaa:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love this show so much. Latest episode :drat:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah the first episode didn't really grab me, but I'm glad I kept watching, it has turned out to be a real gem.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Avoiding reading the thread until I can get caught up (2 episodes in) but so far I absolutely adore this show and I've found what they're doing with the three main characters and the things they do (and more importantly do NOT) say fascinating.

This is an amazing post for someone who hasn't seen the most recent episode to make!

Do we reckon they were involved in his death? We're certainly meant to think so now, but it all seems too clean considering there are three episodes left in the season.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Do we reckon they were involved in his death? We're certainly meant to think so now, but it all seems too clean considering there are three episodes left in the season.
Involved, maybe, but there's obviously more to it. And maybe it's all a huge red herring and his death is completely unrelated to all these other secrets that are being uncovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
This show rules and the latest episode might have been the best one yet.