Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I never did a single bit of backtracking for item collection even though I usually try to clear out stuff asap, the game is that good about pushing you forward. When I reached the final boss and decided to do clean-up, I had above 50% items in, like, one area. Insane how much drive and flow they managed to put into a game that, after a point, does not close off areas behind you all that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Finally playing this, was a bit hesitant because I have hosed up damaged hands (left index finger in particular) and from the issues some people were describing with the controls I thought this might be the first game I struggled to play, but it's absolutely fine and having a blast.

I love how no nonsense it is getting into the meat of the game, knew I was in for the exact experience I hoped for from the opening cutscene being a bunch of kind of goofily written text (the EMMI coating or whatever being made of "the hardest stuff in the universe" lol) gives it a real SNES vibe in the best way

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I finished Dread and then finished it again 100% on hard mode.

My biggest complaint might be that the game kinda corrals you towards wherever it wants you to go a lot of the time. But this doesn't weigh the whole experience down nearly as much as you'd think I would, making a point like that.

The boss fights own and the movement feels great. Exploration is also pretty decent once it opens up a little (or you straight up sequence break. I'll still have to do a playthrough at some point where I skip as much as possible) Originally I was really skeptical of the game for various reasons but I ended up turning around on it.

Super Metroid 4 Lyfe, though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

something I've been thinking about and didn't reach a conclusion on: does anybody know what the blue insects you sometimes see that disperse when you go near them could mean?

Maybe a critical path indicator?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

something I've been thinking about and didn't reach a conclusion on: does anybody know what the blue insects you sometimes see that disperse when you go near them could mean?

They don't show up consistently enough to be that, honestly. But I thought that's what they were too at first. And who, knows, maybe they are. Maybe it's just a mystery. Deep lore perhaps.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i think the blue butterflies mean something but yeah i don't know what.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

i think thats exactly what they are

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

There's a flock of bigger ones in the jungle area. Hmmm

Blasting through hard mode now. Handheld on the sofa, after a TV only main run (it's proper). Had to stop because my hands started to hurt. This game rules

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

i think thats exactly what they are

If they are they're not doing a great job, just found some leading me into a room in Cataris that's a complete dead end for me at the moment

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Finally playing this, was a bit hesitant because I have hosed up damaged hands (left index finger in particular) and from the issues some people were describing with the controls I thought this might be the first game I struggled to play, but it's absolutely fine and having a blast.

I love how no nonsense it is getting into the meat of the game, knew I was in for the exact experience I hoped for from the opening cutscene being a bunch of kind of goofily written text (the EMMI coating or whatever being made of "the hardest stuff in the universe" lol) gives it a real SNES vibe in the best way

i dont like having to use two triggers on the same side much, makes the controller slip out mmy hands. i dont think i had to once, might be the tightest controlling game i've ever played.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

just got this game and beat the second emmi. it feels so good to run around and jump on walls. i love this game already

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
I'm gonna go out on a limb here with the opinion that Metroid dread is good

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I dont think the controls have any real issue just towards the end it loads you up with like 5 new abilities pretty quickly that change up what youre used to already from the other 80 percent of the game and you dont have as much time to acclimate

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im lost

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hi, lost. i'm rodney aran.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feeling a calming balm descend on my brain after finding the morph ball and Varia Suit 10 minutes apart. I'm safe now

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Feeling a calming balm descend on my brain after finding the morph ball and Varia Suit 10 minutes apart. I'm safe now

i got busy a little after that point, i gotta get back to the plant boss who was kicking my rear end. i finally figured out the trick just before i had to stop and i think i'm going to get him on the first try.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i got the thing that lets you press A and teleport forward and bypass shutters and idk where to go next. ive been running around aimlessly for a while

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycophobia posted:

i got the thing that lets you press A and teleport forward and bypass shutters and idk where to go next. ive been running around aimlessly for a while

i had to look up if this was one of the two places i got stuck for a long time, but it wasn't, so i don't know if i can help without just looking at a guide. you can use that ability up to three times when you do it, if that helps. i know it can get you across some areas with those blocks that break underneath you.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
They put out a demo for broke bitches to try the game fyi

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there's a lot of twofers in this game, cool feeling

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mycophobia posted:

just start back at the powerup, the path is usually someplace new. if you find a new teleporter or train or elevator just take it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yeah, the game is pretty good about steering you along the critical path. When you find something new the way forward is usually nearby, often breadcrumbed by missile containers and stuff. On one hand that's good because it's harder to get lost. On the other I wish it was a little more hands-off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

When you realise the game is steering you down a linear section and there's no way you can go backwards using the abilities you currently have

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AverySpecialfriend posted:

They put out a demo for broke bitches to try the game fyi

Oh cool ty

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i was going everywhere and having trouble getting back to where i found the thing in the first place so i feel like im getting the nonlinear experience

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
find a thing you can destroy with your new powerup and highlight it on the map to show all the other blocks or doors or w/e of that type

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mycophobia posted:

i was going everywhere and having trouble getting back to where i found the thing in the first place so i feel like im getting the nonlinear experience

this is kind of a mark against the game. the path forward is generally pretty clear but if you try to backtrack you can get in some weird rear end loops and now you're looking at the map and going between the sections is kind of annoying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the time i got the most lost so far was having to shoot out some blocks underneath me, and it was because i had shot at some blocks nearby and seen a symbol that was marked as a ? on the map. i finally went back and just started firing everywhere in pure frustration and realized that there was more floor i hadn't tried, lol. i can't remember if it was dairon or burenia. the most embarrassing one was getting stuck at, i think, Cataris, where you have to shoot the left side of the elevator room. it also took me forever to realize that you can just aim up at the plant boss and shoot him instead of trying to use the grapple point and getting owned by the fireballs.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i've only played super like 8 years ago but i dont remember having to shoot so many random walls. cataris got me too and probably at least one other spot where you just had to shoot a block.

i hit the save before the final boss a couple days ago but havn't gamed since. idk why i've cooled b/c i love the bosses so far, controlling samus in an arena feels great but i wish the patterns were more complex.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 29, 2021

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I got the tude now posted:

this is kind of a mark against the game. the path forward is generally pretty clear but if you try to backtrack you can get in some weird rear end loops and now you're looking at the map and going between the sections is kind of annoying.

i didn't like it at first but it opens up really quickly after you get the morph ball. i think a lot of the reason they do it is because people like me are tempted to go back and comb through stuff whenever they get a power-up, and it's really only at that point that you start rapid-fire unlocking enough stuff that it's worth going back.

also let's be cautious with spoilers even if they seem to be minor, lots of people playing it at different parts of the game.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
don't want to sound excessively negative, i really like the action oriented design of the game and will definitely play again. the game does have a really cool 'tempo' to how unlocks change how you navigate the mid game point when you start getting beam upgrades and missile upgrades came right when i was thinking about how weak my missles were starting to feel

i was on the fence about spoiling when i posted, thanks for getting me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

i've only played super like 8 years ago but i dont remember having to shoot so many random walls. cataris got me too and probably at least one other spot where you just had to shoot a block.

i hit the save before the final boss a couple days ago but havn't gamed since. idk why i've cooled b/c i love the bosses so far, controlling samus in an arena feels great but i wish the patterns were more complex.

shooting random walls all the time was mostly done in zero mission and fusion. super metroid is all about shooting random floors and ceilings

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
found where i was supposed to go. im a dumbass

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
lets backtrack over the entire world instead of more thoroguhly exploring the brand new area i just got the brand new powerup in hurr

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

shooting random walls all the time was mostly done in zero mission and fusion. super metroid is all about shooting random floors and ceilings
Fusion was the first Metroid I really dug into (owned Super but kept getting stuck, went back and beat it later), and there's so many points where you have to shoot or bomb random walls/floors. Special shout-out to the asinine pillars that rise from the floor when you bomb an unmarked tile. I looove Fusion but that is horseshit

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
dread doesn't fail you; you fail dread

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This plant boss is an absolute oval office

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mycophobia posted:

lets backtrack over the entire world instead of more thoroguhly exploring the brand new area i just got the brand new powerup in hurr

:cheers:

tip on the grapple. You only have to hold the trigger to deploy it, you only have to hold the button on a grapple point, and releasing t he grapple always jumps automatically. It’s probably the best Metroid grapple but I still spent like 5 minutes checking it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This plant boss is an absolute oval office
power plant, or in the plant area?