Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Beyond Thunderdome... I don't think I hate it, but it's definitely my least favorite Mad Max movie. I mean, it's got some of the most iconic moments that people remember, and when a scene lands, it lands... but Miller's heart really wasn't in most of it and that's plain to see (he was in grief from the loss of his friend). It's more... episodic than the other movies, less thematic, even if it has most of the mad max stuff everyone remembers. Do I recommend it? Sure... once.

Now Fury Road... you should see that, but probably not yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

do NOT jack off posted:

Can anyone speak to the nutritional value of maggots?
Wichetty grubs are a traditional staple protein in the Australian Aboriginal diet, so at least there's some precedent. Huhu grubs are the NZ equivalent. The botfly larvae or whatever Max is grabbing off of rotting flesh would probably give you a shot of protein, but it definitely strikes me as a "desperate times call for desperate measures" thing. As far as a little cursory Googling tells me, maggots are only being investigated as a protein source for use in animal feed, not as human food (yet).

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Hirayuki posted:

As far as a little cursory Googling tells me, maggots are only being investigated as a protein source for use in animal feed, not as human food (yet).
I suspect Black Soldier Fly larvae aren't often referred to as maggots specifically because of the latter's connotations affecting palateability

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

I suspect Black Soldier Fly larvae aren't often referred to as maggots specifically because of the latter's connotations affecting palateability
Because "black soldier fly larvae" screams "tasty treat". But yeah, good catch. I knew I'd heard of something like this with the recent interest in insect protein, though the more readily available products seem to be sticking with crickets and maybe mealworms for the time being. Maybe edible grubs and maggots just need a more appetizing name for commercial use.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The big race is upon us! Woooooooooo!!!!

32: The Big Race/Polsy

Blind Sally posted:

(is Mad Max shitposting a thing??)

As a local mod I guess you'd be the best judge, generally :v: I think of myself as a Nux in the streets and a Wez in the sheets. It's complicated.

Since I went through and did all the scavenging locations as well since I'm insane, here's screencaps of all the Road Warrior related hood ornaments scattered around the wasteland. They have neat stories kinda.

do NOT jack off posted:

I wondered about the Big Nothing and what lies beyond it, and concluded that the ocean couldn't have totally disappeared, just receded thanks to a nuclear winter. That being said, a different history relic talks about how sea life disappeared before the seas receded. From what little I understand about our role in destroying the world right now, I pieced together my own little timeline of what happened to all the water. A combination of pollution, global warming, and overfishing wound up destroying sea life. Then the nuclear exchange constituted the last of human involvement on that scale, so whatever is left of sea life is gradually rebuilding while humanity is slowly dying off. Sea life will be far more fragile thanks to the lack of biodiversity and the remnants of things like plastic shoals and apoxic(sp?) zones from nitrate pollution, but single-celled organisms will probably be okay beyond that. Humans, at least, won't be messing with it any more.

I read an article recently that even sea life in the deep Marianas trench, somewhere inaccessible to human touch, is also showing plastic in its diet. We ruin everything.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
This mission was a mess for me. The good news- boss diversity. The bad news- boss rush. Fortunately, the first one (Stank Gum's vehicle) is the hardest and once you're past that it gets easier. I had to ditch my grille and armor, then manually aim several Thunderpoons to match Stank Gum's speed and kill his vehicle in about 2 minutes after several attempts. Following that, the fights with Tenderloin (we hardly knew ye) and Scrotus (he's back...) weren't too bad. Of course, our loss is scripted and then we get some weird mind trip cutscenes. Hope is a good friend to us, huh? I hope we repay her well for saving our life.

Seeing Fury Road adds extra cool points to the mind trip scenes. We also better understand the new late game characters. The War Boy turned Blood Bag is my favorite game character by the way. We'll see why when he turns up again.

Not much to say about the late game side missions. We're almost done!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think the game was expecting you to go after the Big Chief before leaving Gastown, which is why Hope was waiting for you at Deep Friah's place when you got there, but you kinda skipped over that part and left with the Magnum Opus. Which for some reason wasn't confiscated like the Black on Black was...

Otherwise most of this episode was a big 'ol plot dump as Max battles with a severe case of cutsceneitis, which helps highlight the weird pacing of the game. We have some story right at the beginning during the tutorial then Max spends hours running other people's errands and killing anyone we aren't helping for little reason, then we have all this plot as we're reminded we want our car and/or an engine back. And that last bit with the bloodbag is probably what grossed me out the most in this game; yeah there's all this blood and gore and violence but having some dude hanging upside down transfusing his blood directly into your body is just so goddamned filthy. Who know's what diseases he was harbouring.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Which for some reason wasn't confiscated like the Black on Black was...

The Black On Black is a good vehicle, the Magnum Opus is a lovely little 6(4?)-chamber. Plus, it's not Max's - it's on loan from that twitchy little black-thumb.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Praise be! Episode 22 Chumbucket say the line! Best joke of the game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's time to get our V8.

But, y'know, for real this time. For real real.

Also I've cleared every scavenging location in the game, and grabbed every history relic. For the first time. I even got the achievements. Yay me. Still not 100%'ing this game. That's as far as I go.

33: Hail To The Chief/Polsy

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We finally got the Big Chief- and the game is nearly over :(

A lot of the History Relics are depressing. Despite this I stuck with the game unlike similar depressing games like Red Dead Redemption. Guess gameplay was easier overall.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Can Max even see anything in front of his car anymore?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aumanor posted:

I choose to believe that the sheer mass of the holy V8 bends the incoming rays of light so that forward vision remain unaffected.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Aumanor posted:

The Angel Combustion guides his holy path!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Polaron posted:

The Angel Combustion guides his holy path!

Well praise be I guess, cause his eyes sure as gently caress can't at this point. And this isn't even the final upgrade, this thing is going to get even bulkier.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

achtungnight posted:

A lot of the History Relics are depressing.
And we have one that literally says that the Bombs Fell, so I guess that's one thing we can check for certain off the list of WhoWhat Killed the World.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The only ones who need to see anything are the pedestrians - who will quickly need to leap out of the way when Max's Murder Machine comes barreling towards them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Aumanor posted:

He's got third person view, it's fine.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

berryjon posted:

And we have one that literally says that the Bombs Fell, so I guess that's one thing we can check for certain off the list of WhoWhat Killed the World.

Really all that's missing on the bingo card of the apocalypse is asteroid impact, but that sort of goes against the whole humanity done hosed itself over to extinction theme.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The day I feared may not arrive is upon us.

We're almost done. One more video after this one. The last act of this game happens quite fast.

34: Digging For Trouble/Polsy

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
The one enemy that Max can't beat - his own humanity. He has to run from it instead.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What's the highest level Road Warrior you can reach?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's the highest level Road Warrior you can reach?

Oh goodness. I'm not sure. You get a rank for each challenge you complete. That includes repeatable challenges, like "kill 5 enemies by grinding" or "kill x enemies with a melee weapon". Theoretically infinite?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I never realized until this video how gigantic Glory's face is - it's unnaturally large and now its all I see..

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Max is an idiot for walking away from the chance to rebuild a family. Kudos to him for saving Glory, I guess. As for the other children, I imagine they were quickly recaptured by the Buzzards and eventually traded to a warlord from another country who wanted their labor to build a pyramid monument to his sensai. From that warlord they were rescued by a man with seven scars.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 5, 2019

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Max is an idiot for walking away from the chance to rebuild a family. Kudos to him for saving Glory, I guess. As for the other children, I imagine they were quickly recaptured by the Buzzards and eventually traded to a warlord from another country who wanted their labor to build a pyramid monument to his sensai. From that warlord they were rescued by a man with seven scars.

How many kids do you think that Max should raise. Kenshiro only raised two.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Just trying to give the kids a good ending. I know more than likely they died in Buzzard custody. :(

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Nobody has a good ending in the wasteland, not Max and definitely not.children.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Max kicking Glory out of his car at the end and returning the snowglobe is almost a perfect beat for beat riff off of the scene in The Road Warrior where he rejects the Feral Child. So there's that.

Thunderdome is the most kid friendly retelling of Max's myth. This one not so much

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Max rejecting Hope and Glory (the people, not the themes but I guess he does that too) makes sense when you realize that he just has to remember what happened the last time he tried to raise a family and how that ended up. It's the whole reason he's trying to find his Plains of Silence so he can forget his past. He doesn't want substitute wife and substitute daughter messing things up again. Griffa was also alluding to this when he asked Max why he keeps pushing people away but because you can get his conversations out of the way before the game is even half done - long before this plot thread even comes up - it may be hard to make the connection.

The weird pace of story telling makes this scene even more off whe you realize Max just put himself, Chum and the car in considerable danger almost getting himself trapped and killed while listening to Chum piss and moan like a jackass the whole time only to immediately turn around and say "actually no, I don't want this any more."

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I don't think he wanted a new family. That weird dream sequence was probably more of a nightmare than a desire. He just couldn't handle deserting someone who had helped him so much (saved his life even!), and then rationalized that as a "contract". Once that's done, the burden of guilt's lifted and he can gently caress off.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Blind Sally posted:

Max kicking Glory out of his car at the end and returning the snowglobe is almost a perfect beat for beat riff off of the scene in The Road Warrior where he rejects the Feral Child. So there's that.

Last time he rejected a child from his car, he got run off the road and beat to poo poo. Good times.

achtungnight posted:

Funny that you'd mention that, considering what I plan for my next project :v:

In our final exciting episode, everything goes to poo poo with great alacrity!

35: The Fury Road/Polsy

Thank you all for watching.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks for the LP!

As for the game, I guess I wanted more of Griffa, all that story content and cool setpieces that were backloaded into the game like that, even the blood bag going apeshit was neat.

Poor Hope and Glory, especially Glory, being forgotten by Max just like that. :smith:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, Max made some bad decisions when all was said & done. :( Me, I would have taken my new family on its first road trip to get back our car. Things would have turned out quite different. But then I'm not as psychologically damaged as Max is in this game. The final battles are tragic, but at least they're fun to play out- somewhat. I liked this game, as I do most things in the post apocalypse genre, but overall I prefer more optimistic stories. Like Maberry's Rot & Ruin series, there needs to be a game of that. Or Fury Road, it ended optimistically. I have high hopes for Days Gone, we'll see how that plays next month.

As mentioned, I like the War Boy Blood Bag getting his revenge for being cast out of the army through Max, who carries his blood. :D

Scruffy- I suspect you and I have been playing the same game lately if your next project is what I think it is. Looking forward to it. I've been watching the Fist of the North Star series recently too, that's why it's been on my mind.

Great job! Thanks for the LP!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
After all that help Chum's reward was being fed a bumper - a good example of why Max doesn't get close to anyone: they either end up dead or betraying him (then dead). In the end he got the only thing he wanted though. The only thing he needed. His V8 Interceptor and an open road ahead of him.

No idea this took place a week before the movie though, which kinda sucks considering what happens... everyone died for nothing I guess. Such is Max's curse.

A shame it had so much cut content and padding but thanks for playing through it none-the-less!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Psychotic Weasel posted:

After all that help Chum's reward was being fed a bumper - a good example of why Max doesn't get close to anyone: they either end up dead or betraying him (then dead). In the end he got the only thing he wanted though. The only thing he needed. His V8 Interceptor and an open road ahead of him.

No idea this took place a week before the movie though, which kinda sucks considering what happens... everyone died for nothing I guess. Such is Max's curse.

A shame it had so much cut content and padding but thanks for playing through it none-the-less!

There's nothing that states "oh this just happens a week before the movie" but given how the events of the movie play it, it kinda checks out. There's frequent flashbacks to some traumatic event, Max has his car, you get to see more of Immortan Joe and company. As far as I know it's not really tied in at all aside from setting, but I still like to think of it as "one week earlier". Still a real good movie.

GO WATCH FURY ROAD ALREADY IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT

ACTUALLY GO WATCH IT AGAIN IF YOU HAVE IT'S STILL GOOD

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 7, 2019

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Really the only disappointment I had with that ending was that Max didn't finish off Scrotus in some way that served as a call back to the hacksaw scene from the first movie. If you're going to set up this theme/cycle of the protagonist could regain what they once lost and they lose again through poor choices, might as well double down on them falling even further.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Witness now the shape of Mad Max's lesson: he is a tragic hero, and his tragedy is a failure to embrace his humanity until it is too late. It id easy to forget, due to the nature of the world Miller has crafted, that the Madf Max series are ultimately stories not of doom, but of the triumph of humanism: yes, the world has ended, but people remain, and how terrible things are is still primarily dependent on how people treat each other. Who killed the world? It was us, of course... and it is only by being the opposite of the worldkillers that things can ever get better.

But Max... is too afraid Too afraid of his own humanity, too afraid of the loss that might happen again if he opens himself to others... unable to trust other people to survive in this new world. So every time he runs from that connection... and every time, he is punished with more pain then he'd ever imagined. Mad Max avenges his partner in fierce rage, and leaves his wife and child alone to face death without him. The Road Warrior rejects the Feral Child, and is rejected in turn by the community that might have been his new home, used as bait. On the Fury Road, he shoots a pregnant woman for water and a vehicle, and that injury later causes both mother and child to be crushed underfoot. Suffering, suffering unending, because of Max's dogged insistence to run from being a good man, to be the hero he was meant to be. And how is this suffering represented? Why, in Black on Black, of course, the good old V8 Interceptor. Max loses the car, and he gains some companions; Max loses the companions, he regains the car. What a deliciously sinister air it lends to the Interceptor, to Be not Max's salvation, but his chain of torment, his trusty chariot that can outrun anything except his guilt. (And hey ho: the story with the happiest ending is the one in which Max doesn't get the car back. Symbolism!)

... But yeah. I really liked this game; it isn't as bogged down in collectathons as it could be, and it was made by people who really got this series, what makes Mad Max, Mad Max. And thank you, Scruffy, for showing it off in a fine style. Witnessed.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

this game has been pretty bitchin', and I've enjoyed the hell out of your Let's Play. Thank you, and I look forward to whatever you'd care to cover next

also, I sort of hope there'll be more games set in this unexpectedly gorgeous post-apocalyptic wasteland and maybe even one where you could play a character like Furiosa or maybe even a Mad Maxine :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Why did you feel the need at 20:16 to call me out, personally, by name, in front of everyone, OP