Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

I like how all the replies are some variant of "VAR isn't the problem, it's the people using it"

They're correct. They're incompetent and also bent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I just want the really lame ball to hand fouls given an as indirect free kick instead

they're fun and the game needs more of them

This is a wise post

Miss a good indirect free kick in the box

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1790804589115318536

"Some Spurs staff had been relaxed about losing because of the title context. The prospect of losing to City had become a theme of jokes. When one member of the support staff joked to Postecoglou that he should play a youth team against City, the manager was furious."

edit - Double lol

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust (THST) have told The Athletic that they would be happy to set up a meeting with Postecoglou to explain the context around the rivalry with Woolwich and why the feelings run so deep.

Martin Buhagiar, the THST chair, has explained why Postecoglou’s comments on Tuesday night have not gone down well with sections of the fanbase. “When Ange talks about things ‘outside’ the club not pleasing him, that can only be the supporters — and a lot of fans are rightly a bit offended by that,” Buhagiar says.

“He has come to a club that’s underachieved for years, and won next to nothing in the last 30-odd years. We’ve heard a lot about new eras and new mentalities from his predecessors in his time and it’s not gone anywhere so forgive us for jumping the gun and thinking everything has been solved, because we’ve seen this before.

“It showed a misunderstanding of the turmoil of Spurs fans on a regular basis. Unless you’ve lived the life of a Spurs fan, you’re in no position to comment.”

lomzus fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 16, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That Spurs fan quote should be printed and framed somewhere lmao

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

its not that everyone involved with the club has a loser mentality, its just that they never win things

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

lomzus posted:

lol

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust (THST) have told The Athletic that they would be happy to set up a meeting with Postecoglou to explain the context around the rivalry with Woolwich and why the feelings run so deep.

Oh god they’re on a Ohio State “school up north” level with this, they’re beyond butthurt :xd:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

its not that everyone involved with the club has a loser mentality, its just that they never win things

Both can be true

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I find it really odd that some people have a hard time grasping someone not wanting to hand an extremely prestigious win to their hated rivals.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ange in that press conference processing that their fans would rather miss out on CL qualification than have one specific team win a title was quite funny

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

harperdc posted:

Oh god they’re on a Ohio State “school up north” level with this, they’re beyond butthurt :xd:

Can you do some other American sports parallels pretty please

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Thanks Ants posted:

Ange in that press conference processing that their fans would rather miss out on CL qualification than have one specific team win a title was quite funny

the slow dawning of "it's so much loving worse than i thought jesus christ"

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It would make it funny if Arsenal won the league anyway and Villa loses to Palace.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I mean if Spurs lose to Sheffield they might not even qualify for the Europa league, which would be lol considering they were top of the prem for quite a while this season.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Reminder that this man managed Celtic for three years.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

TheRat posted:

I find it really odd that some people have a hard time grasping someone not wanting to hand an extremely prestigious win to their hated rivals.

Can you provide a list of all the scenarios in which it’s okay to have a losing mentality? This is #1, I guess?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Do y'all think Ange is a secret Arsenal fan?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I think he's just an average manager at an average football club.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Anyone who has existed in the same universe as Arsenal fans should understand why Spurs fans wouldn't want to give them an inch

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Shitshow posted:

Can you provide a list of all the scenarios in which it’s okay to have a losing mentality? This is #1, I guess?

If you genuinely can't find a situation in which you, as a fan, would rather lose than win because of the consequences that win would carry I might have to suggest you're not particularly invested in the thing from the start.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

TheRat posted:

If you genuinely can't find a situation in which you, as a fan, would rather lose than win because of the consequences that win would carry I might have to suggest you're not particularly invested in the thing from the start.

This is hilariously tortured logic. I want my team to have a winning mentality and feel they can beat anybody on any given day and ground. What happens with other sides is out of our control.

If you want the team you support to throw games to thwart a rival, maybe you should consider whether you’re a real fan or not.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
it's fine we'll develop a winning mentality in the summer

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who is going to receive the traditional end of season dodgy hotel meal this year?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

nice of the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust to put out an official statement that they believe in the history of the Tottenham

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

lomzus posted:

lol

"Some Spurs staff had been relaxed about losing because of the title context. The prospect of losing to City had become a theme of jokes. When one member of the support staff joked to Postecoglou that he should play a youth team against City, the manager was furious."

edit - Double lol

Martin Buhagiar, the THST chair, has explained why Postecoglou’s comments on Tuesday night have not gone down well with sections of the fanbase. “When Ange talks about things ‘outside’ the club not pleasing him, that can only be the supporters — and a lot of fans are rightly a bit offended by that,” Buhagiar says.

“He has come to a club that’s underachieved for years, and won next to nothing in the last 30-odd years. We’ve heard a lot about new eras and new mentalities from his predecessors in his time and it’s not gone anywhere so forgive us for jumping the gun and thinking everything has been solved, because we’ve seen this before.

“It showed a misunderstanding of the turmoil of Spurs fans on a regular basis. Unless you’ve lived the life of a Spurs fan, you’re in no position to comment.”

lmao spurs fans are pathetic

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
tbh a lot of spurs fans think THST themselves are very cringe

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

tbh a lot of spurs fans think THST themselves are very cringe

It's troubling when the mirror stares back, yes

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Arsenal lost twice to Villa on purpose just so Spurs wouldn't get 4th.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

all football fans who don't support the same team I do are lame and pathetic

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Frankston posted:

all football fans who don't support the same team I do are lame and pathetic

You and I both support the villains so I think that's close enough

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mila kunis posted:

lmao spurs fans are pathetic

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

harperdc posted:

important distinction: tOSU actually wins

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Arsenal lost twice to Villa on purpose just so Spurs wouldn't get 4th.

we are eternally grateful

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Deaderson

https://apnews.com/article/ederson-man-city-9648d668f9850526a2be6451384f49b6

Just a wee broken eye socket

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

TheRat posted:

Fans are one thing (oh nooooo), but actual club employees is another

You play to win the game, supposedly

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's a shame their backup is also good, otherwise we could have potentially had the funny result of Spurs losing to hand Man City the title but also injuring Ederson to hand Arsenal the title.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

vyelkin posted:

It's a shame their backup is also good, otherwise we could have potentially had the funny result of Spurs losing to hand Man City the title but also injuring Ederson to hand Arsenal the title.
lol if you think west ham are getting a single shot on target

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agreed, they will get 12 shots on target

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think it’s only right and proper that david moyes gets to do his favourite thing on his last match by keeping it tight and losing 2-0

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

You're kidding if you think this is going to be anything but the classic City losing until minute 85 when they bang in the goals they need to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
relying on west ham united football club to save football