Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Holy crap, short of getting an EVF I would say that a nice cheap plastic LCD popup shade should be MANDATORY equipment for NEX users. Made my 5N 100% usable in sunlight, and the shade is unobtrusive to say the least.

That's one thing I like about the SuperWhite LCDs in the RX1/RX100 - they're totally usable even in bright sunlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Edward IV posted:

I had seen quite a few NEXs during my trip to Europe. I think I saw at least one NEX user (who I think were all Asian*) per city in my time in London, Paris, and Prague. Of course, they were equipped with the kit 18-55mm while I was mainly rocking the Sigma 30mm for much of the trip.

*I couldn't tell if they were Chinese, Japanese, or Korean despite being Chinese myself. They didn't talk a lot so I couldn't tell what language they were or weren't speaking.

Definitely saw a bunch of NEX with tourists while in Europe, as well as a few X100s. Heathrow's camera shop is the bomb...RX1, D4, 5D3, all out to play with. Unfortunately the Leicas were behind a case.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

change my name posted:

Hello I just bought a Pentax K-01 because I have a bunch of lenses (but I hear the default 40mm is actually supposed to be really great? I've seen some amazing shots with it). Can I join your skinny camera club even though it's kind of a brick?

Sup 01buddy. We're all bricks here. :burger:
The 40 is nice, just mind the cromabs.

Bob Socko posted:

The K-01 is a nice camera trapped in an awful body. How much are they going for these days?

Word got out. The cheapest clearance blowout I saw was $250 for the body, $300 for the kit, but that was months ago. Try your luck on craigslist, I guess.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

change my name posted:

Hello I just bought a Pentax K-01 because I have a bunch of lenses (but I hear the default 40mm is actually supposed to be really great? I've seen some amazing shots with it). Can I join your skinny camera club even though it's kind of a brick?

If you have a couple DA limited pancakes we will let you slide haha.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

krooj posted:

Currently visiting NYC, and holy crap can you pick out a tourist by the DSLR anchor around their neck.

Actually, as a New Yorker, I would say you can spot the tourist by the mirrorless camera on their neck. About 90% of the mirrorless owners you see in New York are Asian tourists. Most native New Yorkers have DSLRs.

krooj posted:

Why do people still buy these beasts?

Mirrorless tribalism. It begins.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

gently caress you mirrorhavers. :smug:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Back in my pre-enlightened days, I'd see someone shooting with a DSLR and eagerly note what model camera they were using and what lens and then compare it to mine. I could then sort them into noobs (kit lens) or rich noobs (better camera/glass than me).

Now I see people with those cameras and only feel pity. :smug:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

RustedChrome posted:

I could then sort them into noobs (kit lens) or rich noobs (better camera/glass than me).

Laughed so hard at this.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I could fit my OMD, without battery grip, and like 5-6 lenses in the same tiny bag my mother-in-law used to carry a Canon Rebel and one attached lens. Then I enlightened her and she bought an E-PL5.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Americans blind royalty toward DSLR are so strong it actually has delayed Canon's launch of 2nd gen mirrorless bodies and make Sony release a "fake DSLR" a3000.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

krooj posted:

Currently visiting NYC, and holy crap can you pick out a tourist by the DSLR anchor around their neck. Why do people still buy these beasts? I haven't seen a single X system camera yet, but I definitely spotted and OMD on the Williamsburg bridge.

Weight and size issues aside, the thing that bugs me when I see that is that when they've got the strap around the neck they invariably have to use one hand to steady the camera so it's not bumping off their chests constantly. I got a side-sling style strap with a little caribiner-runner thing on it and it's so much more comfortable.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

David Pratt posted:

Weight and size issues aside, the thing that bugs me when I see that is that when they've got the strap around the neck they invariably have to use one hand to steady the camera so it's not bumping off their chests constantly. I got a side-sling style strap with a little caribiner-runner thing on it and it's so much more comfortable.

gently caress that, I have a cheap but sturdy wriststrap for my NEX-F3, just keeping it in one hand all day. My favorite thing about mine is that I can basically keep it on me anywhere and anytime.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Love my little wrist strap on the NEX-5N. I'll be damned if I ever make it back to DSLR for casual shooting again.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
This is what I'm talking about.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Basically a more stylish R-Strap.

Still shameful :colbert:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It still has too much dangling for my taste. I prefer a belt-mount quick release / tripod mount solution.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have mine attached to a fanny pack for quick street photography.

Stylish too.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

My Canon 5D3 loving owns and is better than any mirrorless camera out there aside from its size :c00l:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So supposedly Fuji is going to announced the XE1 successor XE1s (XE2?) on Oct 18. It has X100s sensor with split image MF, wi-fi, better screen....basically all the incremental upgrade you would expect but almost no improvement on the IQ. I wouldn't pay more than $200 over the XE1 for it.

Interestingly the NEX-6 is over 1 year old and there is no sight of a replacement coming. My theory is Sony will discontinue the N6 and move the NEX-7 successor listed price down a notch. So the 2 NEX FF body rumor might be real. I can see a flagship NEX-9 come out end of this year and an "A850"-style strip down FF body come out half year later.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

So supposedly Fuji is going to announced the XE1 successor XE1s (XE2?) on Oct 18. It has X100s sensor with split image MF, wi-fi, better screen....basically all the incremental upgrade you would expect but almost no improvement on the IQ. I wouldn't pay more than $200 over the XE1 for it.

Interestingly the NEX-6 is over 1 year old and there is no sight of a replacement coming. My theory is Sony will discontinue the N6 and move the NEX-7 successor listed price down a notch. So the 2 NEX FF body rumor might be real. I can see a flagship NEX-9 come out end of this year and an "A850"-style strip down FF body come out half year later.

As long as it has an articulating LCD I'm down... the optical viewfinder and relative bulk of the XPro1 never appealed to me.

Well, and if the Sony offering looks underwhelming.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I still think it's pretty odd to announce/release the X-E1 successor before the X-Pro 1, but I'm hoping that means that there's going to big things in store for the X-Pro 2 or whatever they're going to call it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mest0r posted:

I still think it's pretty odd to announce/release the X-E1 successor before the X-Pro 1, but I'm hoping that means that there's going to big things in store for the X-Pro 2 or whatever they're going to call it.

I agree. If they don't move the two bodies down market, both should be on 2 year cycles IMO. Maybe a new sensor for XPro2 is not ready. Then again I was checking Canon's XXD series hstory, it moved from 1 year cycle (30D 40D) to 2 year cycle (50D 60D) to 3 year cycle (70D)

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
It seems like the engineers are in charge at Fujifilm, not the marketing department. I think they will announce new cameras when the new cameras are ready, not when they think customers have saved enough money to need a new number on the front.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

It seems like the engineers are in charge at Fujifilm, not the marketing department. I think they will announce new cameras when the new cameras are ready, not when they think customers have saved enough money to need a new number on the front.
Or, say, a letter S?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

Or, say, a letter S?

Download the new firmware for free, or order it on CD for $10 + S+H and get a bonus 's' sticker.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

Or, say, a letter S?

The X-100s is actually quite an improved camera over the first model. I remember everyone expected them to call it the X-200 when they went with the X-trans sensor.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

Fuji's macro mode is weird. I tried shooting with my 55-200 yesterday and couldn't understand why I couldn't hit infinity focus. It was a little after sundown, so I figured it must have been a light thing. Then, on a whim, I tried switching the camera to MF and used the AE-L/AF-L button, and it focused without any problem. It wasn't until I got back to my car that I noticed the little flower on the display, and remembered that flower means macro.

Why did Fuji pick a flower to symbolize macro mode? Are bugs too gross to get past marketing?

Its not a macromode per-se, it tells the lens to work at near the Min focus distance. Its basically like the focus limiter on some zoom lenses that limit the focus range for faster work and to limit focus hunting across its entire distance scale.

The flower has been widely known as "Macro" since I can remember.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Musket posted:

The flower has been widely known as "Macro" since I can remember.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mac...fe=off&tbm=isch

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I feel like I'm going to lose the lens cap for my pancake lens, considering it's literally the size of a quarter.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
I got an EF to e mount adapter for my nex5r, and I'm enjoying playing with the focus peaking Andy anual shooting. However I'm noticing that at least in my 50 1.8 and 85 1.8, it's peaking is back focusing some. Is this more of an individual issue with lenses or has anyone else experienced this across the board with the nex system?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Claw Massage posted:

I got an EF to e mount adapter for my nex5r, and I'm enjoying playing with the focus peaking Andy anual shooting. However I'm noticing that at least in my 50 1.8 and 85 1.8, it's peaking is back focusing some. Is this more of an individual issue with lenses or has anyone else experienced this across the board with the nex system?

I have that issue a little bit, but if you're using the MF assist or the EVF attachment it shouldn't be too major an issue

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I know I read this a few pages back, but I can't seem to find it now: Which NEX3 version supported USB charging? Someone said their 5 did not but a later version did, because their later-model 3 did.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Huxley posted:

I know I read this a few pages back, but I can't seem to find it now: Which NEX3 version supported USB charging? Someone said their 5 did not but a later version did, because their later-model 3 did.

The NEX-F3 is USB only charging, I'd assume that the F5 and the N series do as well.

It's annoying enough sometimes that I bought the external battery charger too, because USB charging is slow as poo poo If you don't have a high power charger

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If my 5N supports USB charging, it sure as heck doesn't give any feedback that it's doing so. I'm going with 5N is charger-only.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does the K01 support it? I'm leaving for vacation soon and only packed the cable, and now I can't find any concrete evidence online.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
The quick answer for Sony owners, and likely others is that if your camera came with a charger in the box, new, then it does not support USB charging. Sony has been very stingy about adding in an external charger with their USB charging models, even for something as premium as the RX1. My guess is that applies across the board with most manufacturers, since the margin on new bodies is so thin.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Anybody ever tried one of those LCD viewfinder loupes? I find composing with the backscreen quite hard with hard light (which is most of the time i'm shooting), so i'm thinking it might be a good help.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cowboystudio-viewfinder-loupes-NEX-3-NEX-5/dp/B005EM4PXC

Camera is a Nex-3 btw.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Just bought a NEX 5R body and HVL-F20S flash package for $330, I hope I can make most of that money back by selling my C3 and the flash. :ohdear:

Primo Itch posted:

Anybody ever tried one of those LCD viewfinder loupes? I find composing with the backscreen quite hard with hard light (which is most of the time i'm shooting), so i'm thinking it might be a good help.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cowboystudio-viewfinder-loupes-NEX-3-NEX-5/dp/B005EM4PXC

Camera is a Nex-3 btw.

I got this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LCD-Pop-Up-Screen-Hood-Cover-Sony-Alpha-NEX-5-NEX-3-/221019858053 and it works pretty well.

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 30, 2013

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Swung by Best Buy to handle the Nex line a bit. Based off holding the 3n, I'm probably going way cheapo with a used C3 so I can afford a couple of extra lenses. But drat did the 6 feel nice. I can't justify spending $300 extra on it when I could spend that money on a second lens, but with a $1k budget instead of my $400, I would be on it in a heartbeat.

E: What's a good second lens in this line beyond the kit? I know the best advice for mirrored DSLRs is a 50, but the 16 is the prime they had in the store, and the 55-210 is also pretty inexpensive (relatively). The 50 is pretty new, right?

Is there a second manufacturer for the E mount?

rexelation posted:

Just bought a NEX 5R body and HVL-F20S flash package for $330, I hope I can make most of that money back by selling my C3 and the flash. :ohdear:

Ebay? Amazon?

Huxley fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

The NEX-F3 is USB only charging, I'd assume that the F5 and the N series do as well.

It's annoying enough sometimes that I bought the external battery charger too, because USB charging is slow as poo poo If you don't have a high power charger

USB charging is available on models F3 and newer (F3, 3N, 5R, 5T, 6). Not available on 3, 5, C3, 5N, and 7.

Huxley posted:

Swung by Best Buy to handle the Nex line a bit. Based off holding the 3n, I'm probably going way cheapo with a used C3 so I can afford a couple of extra lenses. But drat did the 6 feel nice. I can't justify spending $300 extra on it when I could spend that money on a second lens, but with a $1k budget instead of my $400, I would be on it in a heartbeat.

E: What's a good second lens in this line beyond the kit? I know the best advice for mirrored DSLRs is a 50, but the 16 is the prime they had in the store, and the 55-210 is also pretty inexpensive (relatively). The 50 is pretty new, right?

Is there a second manufacturer for the E mount?

Ebay? Amazon?

eBay, seller from California.

Also the Sigma 30mm and 19mm are pretty nice. They re-released them under the "Art" series with metal construction, but the old plastic ones are just as nice and you can probably find them pretty cheap.

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 30, 2013