Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

lmao

A tabloid reports that Eduardo Li was with his girlfriend at the Zurich hotel when they arrested him.

Then on one of the "respectable" papers there's an interview with his wife and kids about how they are worried about his health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
tfw corruption scandal is more interesting than the game itself

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Africa has 54 votes today, UEFA has 53, Asia 46, CONCACAF 35, South America 10, lol sure makes sense

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I really hope that Blatter makes a speech after winning and is just casually carted away by the Swiss cops in the middle.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Teddybear posted:

I really hope that Blatter makes a speech after winning and is just casually carted away by the Swiss cops in the middle.
And he keeps talking as he's carted off like nothing is amiss

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

opus111 posted:

lol the guardian is terrible generally but its sports is good and also its not owned by murdoch you total simpleton.

so the new york post minus the murdoch

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Stuff about the 2002 fraud is starting to trickle in, Marca are saying that Warner said that the trinidadian linesman he named for the Spain-Korea wasn't incompetent when he disallowed two valid goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psFB6ox65HY

http://www.marca.com/2015/05/29/futbol/futbol_internacional/1432855800.html

And then something about Moreno admitting he was bought but lmao if you think I'm gonna try to translate these tiny jpg artifact filed italian words when I can barely understand it normally

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGJShzpXEAAJBbQ.jpg:large

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Lol, the Brazilians fleeing supposedly means we can lose the fifth spot because they were supposed to vote on that in the Executive Comitee tomorrow too. Figueredo, Leoz and Del Nero are not voting.

gently caress this gay Earth, at least we qualified to the rugby world cup *looks at group and cries*

Bobo :allears:

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

so the new york post minus the murdoch

I thought that the guardian was owned by a trust that among other things ensured journalistic independence, and it operated at a loss. If that's a terrible media outlet I'm not sure what qualifies as good

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bishop posted:

I thought that the guardian was owned by a trust that among other things ensured journalistic independence, and it operated at a loss. If that's a terrible media outlet I'm not sure what qualifies as good
It's a pretty independent media organization but at times it cranks out stuff that borders on parody. It featured an article yesterday that claimed that tea, of all things, is an English national disgrace because it's a remnant of colonialism and if you like that well then you probably hate the poors too.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
My Costa Rican friend owes me $100 now that we know Eduardo Li paid for them to advance further than Team Jozy last summer. :argh:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Crazy Ted posted:

It's a pretty independent media organization but at times it cranks out stuff that borders on parody. It featured an article yesterday that claimed that tea, of all things, is an English national disgrace because it's a remnant of colonialism and if you like that well then you probably hate the poors too.

The Guardian has long prided itself on publishing hella hot takes.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Teddybear posted:

The Guardian has long prided itself on publishing hella hot takes.
And just like that, the first headine in today's Opinion section: What if men had periods? It’s a question still worth posing

Their last truly great hot take was Jonathan Jones saying the poppy installation at the Tower of London causes UKIP or some such thing.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 29, 2015

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

So we have to choose between Blatter and sharia law?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Polidoro posted:

Lol, the Brazilians fleeing supposedly means we can lose the fifth spot because they were supposed to vote on that in the Executive Comitee tomorrow too. Figueredo, Leoz and Del Nero are not voting.

gently caress this gay Earth, at least we qualified to the rugby world cup *looks at group and cries*

Bobo :allears:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that qualify for the death penalty under Brazilian law?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Also forgot to mention this, I saw it this morning on brazilian news:

https://in.news.yahoo.com/brazil-football-confederation-removes-marins-name-hq-131612188--sow.html

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

dkj posted:

So we have to choose between Blatter and sharia law?
heres a hot take
FIFA needs racism because maybe that would have prevented them giving their flagship product watched by billions of people to a despotic sand people country where slavery and murdering your wife are only technically illegal for any amount of bribes.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

And just like that, the first headine in today's Opinion section: What if men had periods? It’s a question still worth posing

Their last truly great hot take was Jonathan Jones saying the poppy installation at the Tower of London causes UKIP or some such thing.

How can you talk about Teh Grauniad's massive attempt to go for click bait and not mention that they employ Jessica Valenti?

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
It was a big mistake to have the pod racing championship on Tattooine with all the corruption and tuskan raiders.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

How can you talk about Teh Grauniad's massive attempt to go for click bait and not mention that they employ Jessica Valenti?
I'd rather not even give her the attention. I know her article the other day was titled something like "Men are scared of Mad Max because it is a call to dismantle Patriarchies". I really enjoy all of the hidden mindblowing revolutionary things people are finding in a two-hour car chase (an awesome two-hour car chase).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crazy Ted posted:

The opinion/comment is free articles have been self-parody as far as I can remember.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Waroduce posted:

We have one in chicago where we torture our own citizens without charge

I don't think Soldier Field counts

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Azhais posted:

II don't think Soldier Field counts

lmao

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

bloodsacrifice posted:

It was a big mistake to have the pod racing championship on Tattooine with all the corruption and tuskan raiders.

*tracy jordan voice* dats hilarious

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Bishop posted:

It's funded by the Scott Trust.

It's terrible because its an advert-laden clickbait aggregator now instead of the quality bastion of journalism it has been in the past. Its main focus these days appears to be reporting on Game of Thrones, top 10 lists and breathless reporting of Twitter outrage.

Their 'comment is free section' used to attract prominent thinkers and academics. Take a look at it now. It's a drat shame.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
If people are ragging on the Guardian I'm interested in what papers they think are actually better.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

hadji murad posted:

If people are ragging on the Guardian I'm interested in what papers they think are actually better.

FT. That's it. The rest are worse.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Azhais posted:

I don't think Soldier Field counts

Should've said Wrigley.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

opus111 posted:

It's funded by the Scott Trust.

It's terrible because its an advert-laden clickbait aggregator now instead of the quality bastion of journalism it has been in the past. Its main focus these days appears to be reporting on Game of Thrones, top 10 lists and breathless reporting of Twitter outrage.
And Jeremy Clarkson

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hadji murad posted:

The paper itself is still quite good, the website is loving poo poo though

lol the FIFA voting is a joke with how the numbers line up no wonder Blatter changed it

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

opus111 posted:

FT. That's it. The rest are worse.
the FT is great if youre dead inside

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Jose posted:

yeah basically. they've become the second biggest online newspaper by running a poo poo ton of click bait. I did an interview with Andrew Miller where he said that was their business vehicle for the forseeable future. Retaining the prestige piece of the newspaper and 'opening' the online news forum.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

straight up brolic posted:

the FT is great if youre dead inside

It just presents important news, giving you the facts and likely implications in a sober manner. Thats what I want, not '5 things we learned from the final episode of Community' or George Monbiot grizzling about people using EasyJet.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jose posted:

lol the FIFA voting is a joke with how the numbers line up no wonder Blatter changed it

How did the voting worked before Blatter?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Blatter is definitely going to win btw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

opus111 posted:

It just presents important news, giving you the facts and likely implications in a sober manner. Thats what I want, not '5 things we learned from the final episode of Community' or George Monbiot grizzling about people using EasyJet.

It's generally easy to ignore the stupid Comment is Free bits of the Guardian tbf. There's at least a pretty clear distinction between where the news ends and the dumb clickbait starts.

I read the Washington Post because it's my hometown paper and they've been playing the clickbait game for a few years too. They still do decent journalism sometimes though, like when they busted open the Rolling Stone UVA story last year.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Alain Post posted:

It's generally easy to ignore the stupid Comment is Free bits of the Guardian tbf. There's at least a pretty clear distinction between where the news ends and the dumb clickbait starts.

this is my last post on it i promise but every other day i was redoing all the customisation on their site so I would only get UK, World, Football, Money (or whatever) because it kept resetting and showing me a bunch of pictures of miserable looking fat girls writing about video games, but it was so annoying and obviously cynical of them that I've just given up and only read the football bit now. I had a yearly subscription for like 3 years, now I can't even look at it!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i linked a really good guardian piece in the pics thread yesterday, thats what the guardian used to be like more often than not so i agree they can still do it sometimes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love the pictures of the opinion article writers because 100% of the time they look exactly like how you'd expect them to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
itt grandpas think you have to read a paper cover to cover