Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The Long War is technically interesting but the game design is really modders.txt where features are added without care of interaction between systems.

Aside from Exalt being a bit on the tough side right now (and they're getting a bit of a nerf next update), they've managed to get things down to a pretty nice balance, even down to the air war. The addition of combat stances makes a ton of difference in the early game where UFOs are squirrely and frail. On the whole, it's a better balanced game than Enemy Within, which got kinda awesome for a while and then you rolled over the aliens for the entire second half of the campaign because you had an army of psychic super-mutants and cyborg giants.

Making big changes, playtesting (which has to be done by players, because modders don't have a team of 50+ interns to do that), adjusting and finding what needs changing/cutting/altering is pretty standard game development.

The next beta update is almost all fine-tuning and bugfixes. They've not added any major features for a while, and almost every single veteran player in the XCom thread swears by the mod now, even over Xenonauts. They've done drat good.

Edit: And if there's any part of Long War you don't like, they've externalized a ton of gameplay variables into an INI file, so you can adjust almost anything to personal taste.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

PantsBandit posted:

Skywind is looking really cool, just watched the new teaser video for it where they showed off some various locales. It's really cool that people put together such massive content mods for nothing more than something to put on their resume.

There are a ton of quests to script, and I can see it taking quite a while to be released. It does look great, though. The FAQ lists Tribunal and Bloodmoon as a requirement, but doesn't indicate whether the expansions will be included.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a good program that's like Pandora for video games, where you punch in games you like, and get a list of mechanically similar ones.
This sort of thing works well for music because for every track you like there's probably thousands that sound "similar" and hundreds that sound "almost the same", whereas for games you're probably looking at about a dozen that are "similar" (BioShock -> Dishonored) and maybe only one or two that are "almost the same" (BioShock -> BioShock 2). And that's even before you start filtering out systems that you don't own or games that you can't even buy any more. Ie, a PC gamer who likes Brothers would probably like Ico, but tough poo poo if you don't have a PS2 or PS3. So you're really just focusing on "games like X released on my system within the last 5 years" and that's a pretty small pool of data from which to draw meaningful recommendations.

Steams tags are a step in the right direction, but at the moment it's no more useful for determining if something's worth playing than the Dewey Decimal system is for determining if a book's worth reading.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Invisible Inc. is now on Steam and the Humble Store for early access. gently caress my money it's gone already.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

That mechanic exists in vanilla but is disabled by default although you can enable it through an ini edit. XCOM's design team would have tested air combat at that scale and saw it heavily influenced a disproportionate amount of the game's difficulty. The Long War is technically interesting but the game design is really modders.txt where features are added without care of interaction between systems. The XCOM thread is mostly TLW chat as XCOM has been talked to death and there isn't another place to speak about specific total conversion mods. To that end it'd be nice if a subforum existed to cover large mods.

I'm not sure why it matters that the mechanic exists but is unused in vanilla, it's a feature that LW uses that I like. I doubt it was left off for reason of balance either, XCOM went through a ton of iterations before it settled into the released form, it seems more like they just settled on a boardgame like mechanic because that's the type of game Firaxis and Sid Meier like to make. I don't feel like any of their systems stand out as not working well together either, do you have any examples?

Panzeh posted:

Yeah the problem you hit is basically that air combat becomes way more important and air combat is literally a roll of the dice.

Literally every shot you take in XCOM is a roll of the dice, the whole game is built around getting the best possible dice rolls and minimising the consequences if your rolls fail. If you keep up with air tech you should be happily shooting down all small-medium UFOs by the midgame, and for large UFOs you can either handle them on the ground or burn consumables to shoot them down and hope for luck.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Weekend Deals are the Metro and Portal games.

Daily is Bully.

Bully is one of Rockstar's best games, though you need a controller to play it.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

Sober posted:

Invisible Inc. is now on Steam and the Humble Store for early access. gently caress my money it's gone already.

I got in at the ground floor last year at PAX when they were selling two keys for $15, and while it's been interesting to see how they have been iterating, it still needs a bit more time in the oven. It has all the promise of being amazing, but they're still hammering out how exactly they want the game to work.

In other words, Early Access or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Accordion Man posted:

Weekend Deals are the Metro and Portal games.

Daily is Bully.

I just bought 2033 despite owning it on the 360 so I can get 25 bucks off the Redux package for owning both. :shepface:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

New Groupees bundle

$1
Meltdown
Little Big Adventure 2
Legacy! (Alpha)

$5
Betrayer
The Mysterious Cities of Gold
Whispering Willows
Consortium

Eschalon: Book 3 unlocked at 5000 bundles sold

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Hogo Fogo posted:

Groupees' Be Mine 14 is coming soon.

These are apparently the games:

1. Betrayer
2. Consortium
3. Whispering Willows
4. The Mysterious Cities of Gold
5. Meltdown
6. Little Big Adventure 2
7. Legacy!

I've had my eyes on Consortium for some time now, so this is looking good.

Live now

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Betrayer and Consortium are easily worth $2.50 each, and the Eschalon series have been solid RPG romps, so it's a pretty good deal.

e: Holy poo poo that Legacy game though, it looks like a janky ARPG Quest 64.

rargphlam fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 19, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I'm not sure why it matters that the mechanic exists but is unused in vanilla, it's a feature that LW uses that I like. I doubt it was left off for reason of balance either, XCOM went through a ton of iterations before it settled into the released form, it seems more like they just settled on a boardgame like mechanic because that's the type of game Firaxis and Sid Meier like to make. I don't feel like any of their systems stand out as not working well together either, do you have any examples?

Literally every shot you take in XCOM is a roll of the dice, the whole game is built around getting the best possible dice rolls and minimising the consequences if your rolls fail. If you keep up with air tech you should be happily shooting down all small-medium UFOs by the midgame, and for large UFOs you can either handle them on the ground or burn consumables to shoot them down and hope for luck.
It's a roll of a dice that affects the outcome of one system - the battlescape. Expanding the amount of dice rolls and their impact to more systems [geoscape & airspace] adds more chaos and makes gameplay very difficult to control. The counter to this is to add more units that are less powerful to the player to make individual loss less impactful, but complicates the board state. The game becomes a delicate battle of attrition on multiple fronts where failing at one causes a domino effect. This is avoided by having one system have a stronger impact on the rest - in vanilla that'd be the battlescape with geoscape & airspace acting as relatively mild influences due to lack of player involvement. The bonus of using the battlescape is that the player is more attached to individual units and the variety of choices makes the environment more controllable by the player. I see this as the main reason that the battlescape is given the importance that is in vanilla over complicating every other system in avoidance of simple elegance.

The Long War also doesn't like risk-minimisation strategies that come from vanilla, such as grenades, and has gone overboard in making the RNG control the game instead of the player.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, why so many new posts in this thread, I'm out of the loop. Also I'm buying that BeMine, looks neat.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The Long War also doesn't like risk-minimisation strategies that come from vanilla, such as grenades, and has gone overboard in making the RNG control the game instead of the player.

Really? Grenades are the ultimate go-to 'get out of trouble free' card more than ever, as you start the game with both antipersonnel and high-explosive variants, and the former tends to one-shot aliens if you land it close enough.

This is doubly true if you've got Red Fog enabled, as aliens tend to retreat and hide if you just busted them all down to 1-2hp with a frag grenade.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Dominic White posted:

Really? Grenades are the ultimate go-to 'get out of trouble free' card more than ever, as you start the game with both antipersonnel and high-explosive variants, and the former tends to one-shot aliens if you land it close enough.

This is doubly true if you've got Red Fog enabled, as aliens tend to retreat and hide if you just busted them all down to 1-2hp with a frag grenade.

Didn't I hear LW grenades have a miss chance, or am I misremembering?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
New BundleStars bundle:

$4.99

Murder Miners 4 Pack
Guacamelee Gold
Puddle
Wooden SenSey
Super Lemonade Factory
Space Farmers 2 Pack
Terrorhedron
Kill Fun Yeah
Project Root
Spy Chameleon

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/titanium-bundle/

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Kragger99 posted:

New BundleStars bundle:

$4.99

Murder Miners 4 Pack
Guacamelee Gold
Puddle
Wooden SenSey
Super Lemonade Factory
Space Farmers 2 Pack
Terrorhedron
Kill Fun Yeah
Project Root
Spy Chameleon

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/titanium-bundle/

Haven't played any of these except for Guacamelee which I played through recently on PS4. That alone is easily worth the price, it was an excellent game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Male Man posted:

Didn't I hear LW grenades have a miss chance, or am I misremembering?

I am not sure about that but they do less damage the further away you are from the point of explosion. Is that a vanilla thing too?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Super Lemonade Factory's not too bad. It's a bit like Lost Vikings, except with just two people.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Accordion Man posted:

Does it have native 360 controller support?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Stan Taylor posted:

Does it have native 360 controller support?
Yeah it does, I played it with the 360 pad.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah, it does. It's also Rockstar's best GTA game and everyone should play it if they haven't.

\/\/\/ no

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ovaries posted:

Yeah, it does. It's also Rockstar's best GTA game and everyone should play it if they haven't.
Nah its second best, because RDR exists.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Drifter posted:

I am not sure about that but they do less damage the further away you are from the point of explosion. Is that a vanilla thing too?

No miss chance in either. In vanilla they did equal damage across the entire blast radius. LW changes explosions so that they do maximum damage at point of blast, decreasing over range. Anti-personnel grenades can kill a sectoid in one shot at center point and cripple a few others.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Accordion Man posted:

Nah its second best, because RDR exists.

Not on PC it doesn't.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

PantsBandit posted:

Haven't played any of these except for Guacamelee which I played through recently on PS4. That alone is easily worth the price, it was an excellent game.

Steam is finally getting the ultimate edition of Guacamelee, so you might wanna hold off for that one.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Humble Jumbo Bundle 2

$1+
Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Complete
Deadlight
Galactic Civilizations 2

BTA:
Terraria
KING OF FIGHTERS XIII
Crusader Kings 2 just the base game + three unit dlcs.
¨
$15+
Age of Empires Legacy Bundle

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Stan Taylor posted:

Not on PC it doesn't.
True.

lordfrikk posted:

Steam is finally getting the ultimate edition of Guacamelee, so you might wanna hold off for that one.
People who own Guacamelee get a big discount.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's a pretty good bundle.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hogo Fogo posted:

Ah, The Most Useless DLC Edition.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dominic White posted:

There's also infinite Flashbangs from the start in LW, you had to research and build them in EW. Plus you get Chem and Psi grenades later, as well as more sources of suppression. I feel like I have more failsafes in LW, not less.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If you like fighting games you should get the BTA. KoF is drat good.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Speaking of Galactic Civilizations, has anyone tried out GalCiv3 yet? Being that it's Stardock and also still in EA I'm hoping the answer is 'no', but if not, anyone know how good/bad it's looking?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hogo Fogo posted:

Humble Jumbo Bundle 2

$1+
Deadlight
Galactic Civilizations 2

BTA:
Terraria
KING OF FIGHTERS XIII
¨
$15+

These are individual Steam keys, just FYI.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Ah, The Most Useless DLC Edition.

To be fair, the base game of Crusader Kings 2 will get your thousands of hours if you find you like that sort of thing.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Speaking of Galactic Civilizations, has anyone tried out GalCiv3 yet? Being that it's Stardock and also still in EA I'm hoping the answer is 'no', but if not, anyone know how good/bad it's looking?

It's me, I am the dumb retard. At this point it's GalCiv 2, but missing diplomacy and a bunch of other features. The beta patch did roll out some functional changes that make it not just Literally 64bit GalCiv 2, but really just wait until it's done.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Shan Gui

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Hogo Fogo posted:

Humble Jumbo Bundle 2

$1+
Deadlight
Galactic Civilizations 2

BTA:
Terraria
KING OF FIGHTERS XIII
¨
$15+

Ugh, gently caress me I have everything already except for KING OF FIGHTERS XIII, anyone down for splitting this bundle? I only want KFXIII.
Can ignore this now, I'm weak.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 19, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Accordion Man posted:

Daily is Bully.

Benny posted:

I really like this game, when I was was a kid I was bullied at school by some big dumb doofus heads, and I would come home and play this game to take out my aggression. It felt REALLY good beating up some fat nerds, and even better beating up some dumb jocks, like the ones that beat me up. they only beat my up because they were jealous of me and my SMOKING hot GF who had big boobies (she weighed 450 pounds, mostly because of boobage) and they would call me stuff like "Gay", "Weak", "Pony loving ♥♥♥♥♥♥" because sometimes I wore my super cool 20% cooler rainbow dash T. they also called me a dumb gay ♥♥♥♥ because I would wear super-awesome-supreme-ultimate-ninja shirts like Naruto or some super-cool-awesome-beat-em-up Attack on Titan T shirts. one day I went home, asked miku what I should do, she said I should challange them to a dance off, long story short, I won. the dumb jocks cheated and tried to beat me up instead of dancing because of their super inferior dance move, and their inability to pull off a fedora.
Anyway, I'm a lot stronger now because I've been drinking a lot of diet coke (so im also skinnier) because I use to drink a lot of coke. Good game, I'd reccomend it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A better plot than Rockstar has ever written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think this is now the second anime game that had their trading card designs rejected by Valve? Or at least the second that has publicly posted about it.

• Locked thread