Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

quote:

Preyer told WRAL in March that the ACC was failing its top schools, including North Carolina.

"The conference is not acting as if it is representing the best interests of the member schools including the top tier of those schools - Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina," Preyer said.

"Instead, it is acting at the expense of those schools to prop up the bottom tier of the conference in a way that I think is a gross abdication of responsibility. And I lay that at the feet of the commissioner."

Think that’s really the money quote. The “big schools” are going to increasingly push against the current set up across the board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Don’t know anything about “nationalchamps.net” but if these are the odds to leave I’d say it’s a good chance the ACC stays intact as-is

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 14, 2024

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ACC as always is doing things its own dumb way, it'll implode. It'll just take a drat lot longer than other leagues.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the ACC will continue in some diminished form for the foreseeable future for the same reason the Big 12 does- it has a large enough core of teams (8-10 of them, at least) that won’t have anywhere better to go.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1790364958980534626

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1790414705816899591

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Judgy Fucker posted:

Don’t know anything about “nationalchamps.net” but if these are the odds to leave I’d say it’s a good chance the ACC stays intact as-is

It's some dudes blog that goes back to like 2001 or so. He has no source for those numbers that I could find on his site, so who knows.

His recent post on the future of cfb gets pretty unhinged. He claims FSU and Notre Dame are a package deal to join the Big 10. Which just makes no sense to me, but wtf do I know. I don't even have a weird blog I've been updating for decades.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

drunk leprechaun posted:

I don't even have a weird blog I've been updating for decades.

I was gonna make fun of this dude but this description is dangerously close to describing my posting on this forum for 20 years

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

clean ayers act posted:

West virginia to the BIG

Serious post, WVU brings a much bigger fanbase than UVA or much of the ACC that would be appealing to the Big Ten, and is a better geographic fit. The academic issue is a problem, especially in light of Gordon Gee's corruption. Big Ten membership could be a serious lifeline to the university and state, though.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

long live the PAC2 After Dark on the CW

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dance McPants posted:

long live the PAC2 After Dark on the CW

Get ready for some very sad Cougar-Beaver shipping

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Komet posted:

Serious post, WVU brings a much bigger fanbase than UVA or much of the ACC that would be appealing to the Big Ten, and is a better geographic fit. The academic issue is a problem, especially in light of Gordon Gee's corruption. Big Ten membership could be a serious lifeline to the university and state, though.

It's no Rutgers though

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My only real concern is that they'll undershoot the number of teams that they need.

You've got the Big Ten at 18 and chatter that puts them at 20. This also comes along with a general assumption that if you don't survive that round (the one that breaks the ACC), then you're out. That would peg the list at 40. That's roughly in line with the mid-30s league size that the pro leagues currently sit at but there's a problem here. There's only about 45 metro areas that can support pro sports teams in the first place. Colleges tend to serve state level markets and, in many cases, more than one per state. You can't chase the league size of the competition. I'd suggest a 54 team league. That allows you to keep the trappings like the top 25 (with 25 being less than half of the league) and reflect the nature of the sport as one that's not married to metro areas.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sash! posted:

My only real concern is that they'll undershoot the number of teams that they need.

You've got the Big Ten at 18 and chatter that puts them at 20. This also comes along with a general assumption that if you don't survive that round (the one that breaks the ACC), then you're out. That would peg the list at 40. That's roughly in line with the mid-30s league size that the pro leagues currently sit at but there's a problem here. There's only about 45 metro areas that can support pro sports teams in the first place. Colleges tend to serve state level markets and, in many cases, more than one per state. You can't chase the league size of the competition. I'd suggest a 54 team league. That allows you to keep the trappings like the top 25 (with 25 being less than half of the league) and reflect the nature of the sport as one that's not married to metro areas.

They should just keep it how it is now except have the playoff be 16 teams, give 8 conference champions autobids, and wild cards for the rest.

Making it a 54 team league will eventually be the death of the sport. College sports own because the amount of teams. When it becomes minor league nfl it will lose fans. For the most part, nobody gives a poo poo about minor league sports in America. A lot of people only want to watch the top tier pro league. College gets past this because so many people are connected to colleges they like to watch their team. Take away their teams, a lot of fans will just watch NFL.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

get used to this

https://x.com/espncfb/status/1790381835408564545?s=46
https://x.com/cbssports/status/1790449719870722510?s=46

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do we know who's playing Week 0 yet?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I genuinely had to go through each one of those matchups and think if they were now a conference game

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do we know who's playing Week 0 yet?

https://fbschedules.com/2024-college-football-schedule/

headlined by florida state vs georgia tech in dublin

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
Might be blasphemy, but I don't really like week 0 or non-conference games in general. I wish we could just have conference games until the post-season.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’d prefer having better non conference games and eliminating the postseason altogether.

That or just have the “bowls” on campus the werk after championship week, before the portal opens.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 14, 2024

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Making it a 54 team league will eventually be the death of the sport.

I've thought that FBS should be sawed in half 20 years ago. 50 percent of teams are non-competitive, the next 25 percent is an occasional pain in the butt or "one hot season at best," and the top 20 percent can at least hang on with the top 5 percent. I've never seen a problem with actually acknowledging what we already know.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

General Dog posted:

I’d prefer having better non conference games and eliminating the postseason altogether.

That or just have the “bowls” on campus the werk after championship week, before the portal opens.

You never know what you have until it's gone. We all thought we wanted playoffs, but the pinnacle of the sport was the BCS.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sash! posted:

I've thought that FBS should be sawed in half 20 years ago. 50 percent of teams are non-competitive, the next 25 percent is an occasional pain in the butt or "one hot season at best," and the top 20 percent can at least hang on with the top 5 percent. I've never seen a problem with actually acknowledging what we already know.

The problem with that line of thinking is the non competitive schools change yearly. Yes there are a small amount of programs that are consistent but it is nowhere near 50%. We just went through a decade of Texas being mostly irrelevant. People need to stop pretending conference consolidation is about quality of teams. It isn’t, it is about how much money the logo on the jersey can bring to the conference.

We are two years removed from the AAC champion going to the Big 12 champion’s house and beating them. Last season, 2nd place in the big 12 got thrashed at home by a bad Sun Belt team. Teams can hang more than most people want to admit.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spacebump posted:

The problem with that line of thinking is the non competitive schools change yearly. Yes there are a small amount of programs that are consistent but it is nowhere near 50%. We just went through a decade of Texas being mostly irrelevant. People need to stop pretending conference consolidation is about quality of teams. It isn’t, it is about how much money the logo on the jersey can bring to the conference.

Even "irrelevant Texas" was still head and shoulders above the teams I'm talking about.

There are currently 131 FBS teams. Of them, 41 have all time records below .500. You're already at a third of FBS that have proven, on the field, they're not competitive with their peers. When you start looking at the teams that have "all time" winning records, but the overwhelming majority of those games against non-FBS competition (Georgia Southern is in 21st place but has won 14 games against Power 5 teams all time and 10 were against UCF) or high winning percentages due to youth (UTSA isn't even old enough to drive and is barely above .500). You just need to find another 24 teams that do have all time winning percentages that aren't going to threaten to make big moves at some point and you're at half of FBS.

Plus, "brand" and quality are inextricably linked. It is pretty tough to have a logo that people want to buy if you're hot trash. Even the worst of the western teams that the Big Ten brought in has the 37th best winning percentage. And that's Oregon!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sash! posted:

Plus, "brand" and quality are inextricably linked. It is pretty tough to have a logo that people want to buy if you're hot trash. Even the worst of the western teams that the Big Ten brought in has the 37th best winning percentage. And that's Oregon!

Now do Rutgers.

Also, all time win percentage is less relevant than win percentages by era, especially recent eras. Rules have changed too much, people running schools/ athletic departments change, etc.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 15, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Colorado playing NDSU Week 1 on Primetime? Oh boy, get the popcorn.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Colorado playing NDSU Week 1 on Primetime? Oh boy, get the popcorn.

Colorado is only a touchdown favorite a home.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Now do Rutgers.

Also, all time win percentage is less relevant than win percentages by era, especially recent eras. Rules have changed too much, people running schools/ athletic departments change, etc.

Rutgers is trash rear end poo poo by any metric and it was an astronomical miscalculation by Jim Delany that Rutgers added anything to the Big Ten as far as "cable viewers" go. NYC metro area cable networks dropped the Big Ten Network because no one cares about Rutgers. I'm the biggest historical WVU hater in this forum, but I will readily admit that WVU has more than a million die hard fans. WVU is far more valuable than Rutgers as a brand and would bring in more weekly viewers than probably even UCLA (for football).

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Sash! posted:

Even "irrelevant Texas" was still head and shoulders above the teams I'm talking about.

There are currently 131 FBS teams. Of them, 41 have all time records below .500. You're already at a third of FBS that have proven, on the field, they're not competitive with their peers. When you start looking at the teams that have "all time" winning records, but the overwhelming majority of those games against non-FBS competition (Georgia Southern is in 21st place but has won 14 games against Power 5 teams all time and 10 were against UCF) or high winning percentages due to youth (UTSA isn't even old enough to drive and is barely above .500). You just need to find another 24 teams that do have all time winning percentages that aren't going to threaten to make big moves at some point and you're at half of FBS.

We’re nearly a quarter of the way into this century. Does historical powerhouse Nebraska deserve a place at the table when they haven’t won a conference title since 1999, haven’t finished the season ranked in the top 25 in over a decade?

Does Minnesota which has just 2 ranked seasons, and had a single NY6 bowl appearance in that span?

Does a Michigan team that went 1 and 7 in NY6 bowls this century before this year?

What about a TCU team that went 2 and 1 in NY6 bowls before this year?

A UCF team that is also 2 and 1 in NY6 bowls?

This isn’t about the blue bloods, this is about those teams in that 30 to 50 range who float in the fringes of that 20% that can hang. Where is the line? What determines if Louisville or Rutgers or Maryland or Illinois makes the cut?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Wins and losses don’t matter anymore in college football when it comes to blue bloods - if they did, Florida State would have made the playoffs last season.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

What the gently caress is this:

https://x.com/GregMadia/status/1790745577233260679

Is this signalling some inevitability of UVA and/or NC State leaving the ACC or an incredibly stupid scheduling ploy to play a conference rival outside the ACC conference schedule.

I mean, I don't like that Penn State won't play Ohio State every year in the future Big Ten, but I also don't want Penn State to go out of their way to schedule Ohio State on top of their already brutal conference schedule.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Carolina schools have been doing that with each other for a while to ensure they all play annually.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That's because the ACC refuses to move to a 9 game conference schedule in their effort to be like the SEC or something. So even with the new scheduling that allows each team to touch every spot in the conference in a 5 year cycle...it might just be easier to schedule stuff with folks you don't crossover with much in conference vs fighting for payday deals. Raleigh is also objectively one of the better spots to visit in the ACC so good on the Hoo's for recognizing the value for their handful of fans.

UVA is also not really in a position to think they're winning poo poo, so unlike PSU/OSU they have no expectations to have ruined or undermined.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I’m annoyed Ohio State and Penn State wasn’t part of Flex Protect xxvii. I assume if they’re both good they’ll play in the conference championship but I just realized I have no idea what the tiebreakers are. This season is going to be almost as bad as trying to remember who was in Legends vs. Leaders.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SEC_Chuck/status/1790777576236994983

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Im happy not playing OSU every year and in fact, being a massive coward, would like to stop playing them in favor of beating up on Rutgers, Maryland, and Sparty every eyar

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Komet posted:

What the gently caress is this:

https://x.com/GregMadia/status/1790745577233260679

Is this signalling some inevitability of UVA and/or NC State leaving the ACC or an incredibly stupid scheduling ploy to play a conference rival outside the ACC conference schedule.

I mean, I don't like that Penn State won't play Ohio State every year in the future Big Ten, but I also don't want Penn State to go out of their way to schedule Ohio State on top of their already brutal conference schedule.

Yeah this ain't new. I know UNC and Wake did similar a few years back, and I think there's been a few other cases tok. It's cuz if the ACC scheduling only 8 conf games. I wouldn't read anything past it than that.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Im happy not playing OSU every year and in fact, being a massive coward, would like to stop playing them in favor of beating up on Rutgers, Maryland, and Sparty every eyar

Penn State vs. Ohio State hasn't had the same oomph to it since I got to brag to my Penn State fan dad that I got to see Joe Paterno poo poo himself in person.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA Clemson at noon is the dumbest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

Penn State vs. Ohio State hasn't had the same oomph to it since I got to brag to my Penn State fan dad that I got to see Joe Paterno poo poo himself in person.

Penn State really hasn't been truly competitive against Ohio State since McSorley was there. I think blowing late leads in 2017 and 2018 broke Franklin to the point he'll never beat OSU again. There's not one single other team that intimidates him like Ohio State.