Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
this was mean for meanness sake, so lemme just ask given this comment, which of 4, 8, 16, 32 do you think actually works:
code:
 The erase page commands should be cautiouly used as EPA4/EPA32 will not
  take effect according to errata and EPA8/EPA16 must module 8/16 page addresses.*/

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

this was mean for meanness sake, so lemme just ask given this comment, which of 4, 8, 16, 32 do you think actually works:
code:
  take effect according to errata and EPA8/EPA16 must module 8/16 page addresses.*/

none of them

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my guess is "module" was meant to be "modulo" and every value you can feed in >=8 erases page 0, and 4 does nothing.

I'm probably not thinking stupid enough, though.

Thanks City of Glompton for the glorious sig

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

code:

trick question, the one that works is actually 24

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
nah, it's an enum. that isn't specified in the .h or .c comments for the function, it just checks that param against other enum fields.

16 worked and I peeped memory enough to see that it's actually doing what it said on the tin. which was fun on it's own, memory isn't refreshed with other debug info so I had to open it on different runs at different points to get a real picture

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
https://github.com/apple/swift :toot:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh good, the first pull request from the community is a troll

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rjmccall posted:

It could have been more insulting. cf. https://github.com/NodeOS/NodeOS/pull/8 (guy deletes the whole 'codebase' as a "fix for all bugs")

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rjmccall posted:

welcome to open source!

btw congrats on this + the linux port, christ that's a shittton of work, and way earlier than i'd hoped for.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Considering how tight-lipped Apple is about open-source, I actually genuinely wasn't expecting it. Congratulations to you and your team, and sorry for the massive onslaught that will eventually kill your project!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

rjmccall posted:

for a moment I thought it was from here

I mean 219... some kind of cow username... coincidence?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Neat.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

rjmccall posted:

just spent 30m stalking your commits but I couldn't understand any of it

good work!

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Hey guys
So next semester i have the option of taking a java class, or a functional programming class using lisp, which one will be more fun or useful?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Flyndre posted:

Hey guys
So next semester i have the option of taking a java class, or a functional programming class using lisp, which one will be more fun or useful?

can you take both?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ericadia posted:

can you take both?
Write programs in Clojure, submit to both classes.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

take the lisp class, you have the rest of your life to write java

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Ericadia posted:

can you take both?

i could, but then i wont have time to look at cat pictures and fat people falling on youtube during the evenings

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
i should mention the lisp class uses scheme, if that makes any difference (because scheme is lisp, right??)

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
is the java class a learn to java class? functional programming

otherwise probably still functional programming but it would help to know what the java class is

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

AWWNAW posted:

just spent 30m stalking your commits but I couldn't understand any of it

good work!

haha, well, feel free to ask about anything

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Do the Scheme one. It won't brain-damage you as much as Common Lisp would, so it's OK. It'll be more fun than Java.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Flyndre posted:

i should mention the lisp class uses scheme, if that makes any difference (because scheme is lisp, right??)

scheme is a lisp, yes

take the scheme class. common lisp is very bad but scheme is good for fiddling with computer science junk

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

FamDav posted:

is the java class a learn to java class? functional programming

otherwise probably still functional programming but it would help to know what the java class is

Java programming for those who have done some programming before, classes, data structures, simple gui's

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
scheme is cool and good so take that class.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

do you go to my alma mater

if so, change majors, the cs program there sucks rear end

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
nah i don't , not in any program, just taking random classes

thanks for the help guys!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i took a lisp class once, i didn't understand loving anything. i'd blame the teacher, but i probably didn't pay any attention during the lectures.

i bet i would loving slay that class now, though.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qntm posted:

Perl 5 was and remains a massive, massive, wholly welcome improvement on Bash scripting.

this, a million times

Thermopyle posted:

so do a lot of other languages

sure. lots of languages. haskell and ocaml are just as suitable to replace bash as perl 5

i don't care what you use just stop writing bash ok

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't care what you use just stop writing bash ok

ok

sudo aptitude install tcsh

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I occasionally do use Haskell as a bash replacement. When I'm futzing with files, I wanna catch errors at compile time!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

also my advisor uses csh and it's gross

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i'm glad switf is the current hipste

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gabensraum posted:

i'm glad switf is the current hipste

can a mod ban swit in that coc thread and tell him to get some help

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Flyndre posted:

Java programming for those who have done some programming before, classes, data structures, simple gui's

If you've never had formal instruction on data structures, that aspect of the class is going to be invaluable for you. Data structures was one of the biggest things that helped me move from "coder" to a more well-rounded software developer. Otherwise, just do what sounds fun.

As long as by "data structures" you mean that it's going to introduce you to trees, graphs, maps, and their attendant theory and implementation. If it's just a bunch of "jeep inherits from vehicle" poo poo, gently caress that.

Thanks City of Glompton for the glorious sig

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
No one should bother taking another university course on functional programming once that 1000-page Haskell textbook comes out https://github.com/bitemyapp/learnhaskell

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
speaking of data structures and functional programming:

Purely Functional Data Structures https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521663504/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_yb9ywb716NQF2

will reading this book be fulfilling and improve my life?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
You purchased this item on October 26, 2005.
View this order

Of these three books, purchased when I was a college sophomore, it was the most fulfilling and life-improving. Never read the first, the second was 100% redundant by the time I bothered to look at it, but the third was quite interesting and readable and educational. I can't tell you how, exactly, but at least I saw some neat stuff I hadn't seen before, and I don't have the attention span for most textbooks. So I liked it.

E: Actually, <LOL>, that was my very first Amazon order.

E: You know, reading your past Amazon orders is a nice trip down memory lane.

E: Never mind, a depressing trip. Imagine if you read all these math books that you bought!

sarehu fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 6, 2015

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ericadia posted:

speaking of data structures and functional programming:

Purely Functional Data Structures https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521663504/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_yb9ywb716NQF2

will reading this book be fulfilling and improve my life?

You're still learning haskell right? That book is really dense and detailed, absolutely not for beginners to try reading end to end.

However once you've done some stuff with the language it's really good, in fact one of the better resources for understanding lazy datastructures. In fact, I'm going to go buy it for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

sarehu posted:

E: Never mind, a depressing trip. Imagine if you read all these math books that you bought!

I've read all of them because I only ever bought 5 total

my amazon list merely shows my hedonistic life style serving as a capitalist pawn