Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

And then the MSG movie dubs got buried by Bandai, probably because they say "Gun-drat" and I don't think they wanted a dub out there that consistently mispronounces the name of the show.

I still say they should do a redub of the movies with the new NYAV cast.

I wouldn't mind. Much as I love the Ocean Group NYAV has hands down the best overall dubbing team for Gundam. I just hope they get to continue doing Gundam now that G Witch has been done by Crunchyroll. I remember hearing somewhere that Hathaway and Doan's Island apparently lost money on the dubbed versions. I can't say if it's more than a rumor but it would suck if it's true and they got tossed as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Bullying SEED is part of liking it, as far as I'm concerned. The series is a great example of a horribly-managed production that gives so many building blocks of something good but squanders or actively ruins them across 100 episodes. I hope there is a theatrical showing in the states so I can see these horrid new Lacus lips on a big screen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

I wouldn't mind. Much as I love the Ocean Group NYAV has hands down the best overall dubbing team for Gundam. I just hope they get to continue doing Gundam now that G Witch has been done by Crunchyroll. I remember hearing somewhere that Hathaway and Doan's Island apparently lost money on the dubbed versions. I can't say if it's more than a rumor but it would suck if it's true and they got tossed as a result.

My conspiracy theory is that Bandai let Crunchyroll produce the G-Witch dub in return for allowing them to use the union NYAV cast for Doan

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

My conspiracy theory is that Bandai let Crunchyroll produce the G-Witch dub in return for allowing them to use the union NYAV cast for Doan

I figure it's more like when they went with Bang Zoom to dub IBO. Go with a cheaper studio in case your new AU series doesn't do as well and keep the union crew for the "prestige" Universal Century shows and films.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't expect the Seed movie to be good but hope it's at least an entertaining train wreck

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Hopefully they kick captain n in the balls again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I figure it's more like when they went with Bang Zoom to dub IBO. Go with a cheaper studio in case your new AU series doesn't do as well and keep the union crew for the "prestige" Universal Century shows and films.

IBO getting a dub was Toonami's decision, if memory serves. It also shares a lot of the voice cast with their UC stuff (Orga and Io share a VA, as do McGillis and Banagher and the Doan's Island version of Hayato and Mikazuki), so it feels odd to call it out as being a firm prestige divide.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

IBO getting a dub was Toonami's decision, if memory serves. It also shares a lot of the voice cast with their UC stuff (Orga and Io share a VA, as do McGillis and Banagher and the Doan's Island version of Hayato and Mikazuki), so it feels odd to call it out as being a firm prestige divide.

JYB voices Orga and Daryl, not Io, but otherwise true. I thought that Bang Zoom was one of the non union groups.

When I say "prestige" I mean in the sense of how Bandai values its UC properties, not because they're necessarily better than their AU shows. Until the SEED remaster dub all the NYAV jobs were OVAs, ONAs and films. Toonami putting IBO on broadcast TV with a dub is a different licensing process than taking the preexisting dubs for Unicorn and Origin and just airing their TV edits. Would Bandai work directly with NYAV to produce dubs for their OVAs if Bandai is still handling distribution?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

Zeta dub was done by Blue Water, Ocean's non-union dub crew. That by itself doesn't necessarily mean an inherently weaker dub but it was certainly a step down.

Watching through dubbed RN since the subs don't appear to be available on Cruchyroll (maybe I'm dumb and can't find it on their lovely phone app) and the 80s-tier anime dubbing is making it feel weirdly congruent alongside the animation even though the dub was done in the 2000s

Laughed the first time I heard the New Hayato Voice but it grew on me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ok they're making it tough to be optimistic for this show

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1675781675006201856?t=vbi_hDiD_uocjJLk6TiOkg&s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDYqvJ8wq8

Wait Erasmus Brodau directed this? The guy who made the Warhammer 40K Lord Inquisitor fanfilm that promised a ton of action and then was nothing but space marines and guardsmen marching on parade while boring assassins talked to a heretic for five minutes.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 3, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Really incredible that a throwaway line from a satirical war game ends up being the appropriate stance to take as a modern media enjoyer.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That shield sucks so much. Federation MS usually have the coolest shields!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Warmachine posted:

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Really incredible that a throwaway line from a satirical war game ends up being the appropriate stance to take as a modern media enjoyer.

Well it is being directed by a 40K fanfilm guy so the quote is appropriate

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
This looks MS IGLOO as gently caress.

That is not a good thing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like how they look like cheap plastic toys whose heads and limbs will pop off with some mild twisting

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It almost looks like it's taking inspiration for the Gundam from Le Cygne, which is a bizarre place to be stealing from in a OYW property.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gripweed posted:

That shield sucks so much. Federation MS usually have the coolest shields!

The rifle too.

It looks like they ran out of metal prlartway through the design phase and had to cut corners.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ninjewtsu posted:

I like how they look like cheap plastic toys whose heads and limbs will pop off with some mild twisting

Yeah, it's funny, they pulled off the opposite trick that the actual anime does, where these things that are designed to work as little plastic toys can also appear big and dangerous and intimidating. They look even more like lovely plastic toys than the actual plastic toys I have on my shelf.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this poo poo sucks so loving bad............

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got thinking again about how goddamn good the Messer fight is in Hathaway. The juxtaposition between the cockpit views where the suits are beyond visual range and only identified by targeting blips and then smash cutting into the close combat seen from ground view by people trying to get out of the way. It's frigging terrifying and engrossing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mecha fight but from the civilian perspective is an incredibly good choice, i love that scene

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That and the opening of F91 are my favorite "sure, here's why giant robots fight is a bad thing, enjoy" scenes from the franchise.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Azubah posted:

That and the opening of F91 are my favorite "sure, here's why giant robots fight is a bad thing, enjoy" scenes from the franchise.

:hmmyes: The lady getting domed by a G-Cannon shell casing early in F91 is one of the most :stonklol: things

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

Wow those look terrible. Beady lil' monoeye on the Zaku is an extremely funny look but I doubt that's the vibe they were going for.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
The 2D animated parts of the Messer fight have to be some of the most beautiful mecha sakuga in the entire franchise.

Shame Xi and Penelope are too much of a clusterfuck to be anything but CG.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not very familiar with the overall story of Hathaway's Flash outside of "Hathaway Noa becomes a terrorist and gets excecuted" but do the Xi and Penelope gundams stay as the primary mobile suits in the story or is there a "mid season upgrade" equivalent? I saw that Penelope is more of a flight unit over top of a more conventional gundam.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The Penelope manual mentions something called the "Argos Unit" so it's probably gonna get a new backpack at some point.

Xi I think gets extra missile pods at some point?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It still looks like a robot swan carrying a Gundam.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's unfortunate because the Odysseus looks fine as a unit

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The odysseus was also invented entirely by a SRW game or a SD gundam game, iirc, it’s not in the original novel and was only added to differentiate the Penelope from the xi so they aren’t just the same MS with a different skin pack

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It still looks like a robot swan carrying a Gundam.

I mean, hey, that is literally what the Penelope is. Probably should have called it the Zeus Unit attached to the Leda Gundam, TBH.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What about a Lada gundam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

What about a Lada gundam

Build franchise has the monopoly on tiny plastic Gundams.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
The zaku would be fine if a bit too close to the regular zaku ii except with some new colors and greebles. The head’s too small though. I like the gundam conceptually, it’s a bit unfinished and looks antagonistic but I don’t like the cheek ridges, they look like whiskers.

Maybe the hgs they inevitably make for this will clean up the proportions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Zaku has a certain tacticool charm (I don't mind the teeny-tiny head - it's a long-established way to make mecha look inhumanly large and imposing, and it fits well with it just being a glorified camera unit), but the Gundam couples a silly-looking shield with a colour scheme that blurs its detailing in a really ugly, plasticky way.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That shield is silly and for some reason the Gundam's red pair of humanish eyes looks sillier than the Zaku's red monoeye.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I'll give it this, it looks like it has a specific aesthetic in mind, and if you're going to make a new animated work in the One Year War it needs to have an identity.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unreal 5 Gundam now has a website. There's nothing there yet.

https://gundam-requiem.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Suletta in Witch from Mercury, the lady in Requiem for Vengeance, Lacus in Seed Freedom, they’re doing three Gundams in a row with red headed female leads.