Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
WotC is starting to understand that Conspiracy and Battlebond style sets are great vehicles for reprints, but they haven't taken the idea far enough.

Heres hoping they wise up and start putting enemy colored fetches and snapcasters in these sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
they're pretty careful about meting out reprints of high-demand cards. I doubt we're gonna see fetches and snapcasters in these supplemental sets when they can save them for the masters sets that only have reprint value

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

This should be "each combat" and "combat damage to an opponent" since an oddsmaker would be betting on all combat. It'd be cool to discard a card in a multiplayer game to gamble on someone else's creature A) attacking someone not-you and B) getting through. Maybe in that case the ability should be

"At the beginning of each combat phase, you may discard a card. If you do, choose a creature. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to an opponent, you and that creature's controller each draw a card."

If it's your creature, you draw two cards. If it's an opponent's you get to loot and they get incentive to beat someone else down.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

TheChirurgeon posted:

they're pretty careful about meting out reprints of high-demand cards. I doubt we're gonna see fetches and snapcasters in these supplemental sets when they can save them for the masters sets that only have reprint value

Also the reason they reprinted Swords instead of Path.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

moush posted:

Reprint Swords in Core Set 2018, then they can reprint Path no problem

:v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

moush posted:

yeah. They have plenty of room to print commander must-have lands that'll move future sets, starting with enemy-color commander lands, to make me doubt we'll see any valuable dual/fetch reprints in these products.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Now that we have dual lands that only come into play untapped when you have multiple opponents, they should take the next step and print dual lands that only come into play untapped when you have exactly one opponent.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Goblins get the best flavor text :brrring:

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
What's a "goblin shortcutter"?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mad Jaqk posted:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jabor posted:

Now that we have dual lands that only come into play untapped when you have multiple opponents, they should take the next step and print dual lands that only come into play untapped when you have exactly one opponent.

You are so getting a late night visit from the Spirit of the Reserved List.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Those are things that you should want to see in main sets, not supplemental product.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shadow225 posted:

Those are things that you should want to see in main sets, not supplemental product.

also true. I'm more on the "what are they likely to do" train of thought here. We'll see fetches again in Standard at some point

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mad Jaqk posted:

in addition to being fun to say, Saddleback Lagac is a reprint from BFZ block so it references a Zendikar card

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Hellsau posted:

This should be "each combat" and "combat damage to an opponent" since an oddsmaker would be betting on all combat. It'd be cool to discard a card in a multiplayer game to gamble on someone else's creature A) attacking someone not-you and B) getting through. Maybe in that case the ability should be

"At the beginning of each combat phase, you may discard a card. If you do, choose a creature. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to an opponent, you and that creature's controller each draw a card."

If it's your creature, you draw two cards. If it's an opponent's you get to loot and they get incentive to beat someone else down.
Betting on your own team is boros.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

also true. I'm more on the "what are they likely to do" train of thought here. We'll see fetches again in Standard at some point

I believe in the line of thought that they're not going to print fetches again in standard so they can push a Frontier 2.0 in Arena (and perhaps down the road in paper) without them.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

triple sulk posted:

I believe in the line of thought that they're not going to print fetches again in standard so they can push a Frontier 2.0 in Arena (and perhaps down the road in paper) without them.

I'll believe anything about an official push for Frontier when I see it. Fetches are too good for business to never show up in standard again.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

triple sulk posted:

which is too bad because fetches own when they aren't in a multicolor standard

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Also playing online eliminates the most annoying thing about fetches.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fetches are below average duals without real duals to fetch

which is totally fine, not every dual land needs to be premium

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

With the directive to put lands in every set, I don't think that we will ever see another 'monocolor' standard again. That isn't to say that a mono deck won't be viable, but I think that 2-4 color monstrosities will be the big players for the foreseeable future.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Shadow225 posted:

With the directive to put lands in every set, I don't think that we will ever see another 'monocolor' standard again. That isn't to say that a mono deck won't be viable, but I think that 2-4 color monstrosities will be the big players for the foreseeable future.

This makes no sense considering shocks and temples were both legal during Mono-black Devotion's reign of terror.

Mono color is only viable when there are strong payoffs for it, the Devotion mechanic being the prime example, and is not influenced by the standard manabase.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

Actually MaRo said they expect to print the same number of rare land cycles per year under the new system as they did in the old. That would mean that only two of the sets will have them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mass Grim Return for only two more mana seems dece, especially in multiplayer.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shadow225 posted:

2-color decks are the norm, give or take. Not sure I'd call them "monstrosities"

Tainen posted:

Actually MaRo said they expect to print the same number of rare land cycles per year under the new system as they did in the old. That would mean that only two of the sets will have them.

huh, it'll be interesting to see how that buts up against the directive to have them in every block. I suspect we'll see another dragon's maze/DTK-like repackaging of duals in the upcoming third Ravnica block

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a sports set. He could have had a card named "World Meet"

Or a Rakdos card called World Meat :black101:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This feels like it should be white blue.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

actually it should be BG

GW seems fine, see Dragonlord Dromoka

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Arglebargle III posted:

Rule-setting permanents are very much in white's slice of the pie. This reads to me like an amped-up Gideon's Intervention.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It just feels like a blue white sphinx. A flier that doesn't allow your opponent to cast spells of a certain type?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

It just feels like a blue white sphinx. A flier that doesn't allow your opponent to cast spells of a certain type?

what does blue give you there, outside of flavor

at least green technically gives you trample here

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think it's blue-green.

Wizards tries not to make two-colour cards where the card could be done as a monocolour card in one of the two colours. All of the abilities could be white, so any combination like blue-white or green-white can be ruled out. Flying and the conditional opponent-can't-cast ability are blue, while vigilance and trample are green.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Stuff like gaddock teeg is in this realm too

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Jabor posted:

I think it's blue-green.

Wizards tries not to make two-colour cards where the card could be done as a monocolour card in one of the two colours. All of the abilities could be white, so any combination like blue-white or green-white can be ruled out. Flying and the conditional opponent-can't-cast ability are blue, while vigilance and trample are green.

White's got most of the "can't cast" abilities. See: Silence, Abeyance, Gideon's Intervention, Grand Abolisher, Ixalan's Binding, Nevermore, Null Chamber, Orim's Chant

Green gives Trample, in this case

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheChirurgeon posted:

White's got most of the "can't cast" abilities. See: Silence, Abeyance, Gideon's Intervention, Grand Abolisher, Ixalan's Binding, Nevermore, Null Chamber, Orim's Chant

Green gives Trample, in this case

Trample is tertiary in white. There are plenty of mono-white cards with Trample. Similarly, while white is the main colour for conditional opponent-can't-cast effects, blue also gets it (e.g. Alhammarret, Circu).

While it might make more sense for it to be green-white, Wizards tries to avoid doing that the same way they avoid making blue-white flying vigilance creatures.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Power toughness, trample are green

Flying , "cant cast" are white

Vigilance is green/white

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

Power toughness, trample are green

Flying , "cant cast" are white

Vigilance is green/white

So what's up with teeg

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

So what's up with teeg

He's a kithkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It feels like it should be white blue because it has a similar ability to Meddling Mage, just with card types instead of one card.

Whether Meddling Mage should be blue at all is another discussion.