Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Trump appears to be referencing a podesta email which asks for an over sample on internal polling.

Trump and his trumpkins don't know what that means, and assume it's an attempt to rig a poll. In actuality, it's polling a subgroup at a higher rate to reduce its margin of error-- effectively conducting a mini-poll within the poll. It doesn't change the composition of weighted results, only gives more granularity to the cross tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Teddybear posted:

Trump appears to be referencing a podesta email which asks for an over sample on internal polling.

Trump and his trumpkins don't know what that means, and assume it's an attempt to rig a poll. In actuality, it's polling a subgroup at a higher rate to reduce its margin of error-- effectively conducting a mini-poll within the poll. It doesn't change the composition of weighted results, only gives more granularity to the cross tab.

Yeah, the most prominent one lately has been the Latino one, for the obvious reasons.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
:clint: Texas early voting report :clint:

Went and voted at the local Fiesta (Mexican grocery store) in Houston this morning. I've been early voting at this same polling location since 2008, and I have never seen a line this long - probably 300 people waiting to vote. I really want blue Texas to happen.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Haha holy poo poo I assumed this was an ad but this is actually a NY Times article that will be preserved for all time. This isn't coming from their editorial board either. Not sure I've ever seen print news get so close to saying "gently caress this one candidate"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bass Concert Hall posted:

:clint: Texas early voting report :clint:

Went and voted at the local Fiesta (Mexican grocery store) in Houston this morning. I've been early voting at this same polling location since 2008, and I have never seen a line this long - probably 300 people waiting to vote. I really want blue Texas to happen.

What sort of a multiplier is that from 2008/2012 then? LIke 2x, 3x?

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Probably twice the normal line size.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

BiohazrD posted:

I'm gonna agree with this.

Hank is the very definiton of a low information voter. He votes off of his feelings as evidenced by having a serious crisis about voting for W based off of a handshake.

Hank is what, in his early/mid 40s? So if we assume he was born in the 50s (A few years after Cotton gets back from Japan where he killed fiddy men) he would have a childs view of LBJ, a Texan and Good President. Ladybird's namesake shows that he doesn't hate Democrats.

He isn't overtly racist, although he is most definitely unconsciously biased. Trumps out in the open rhetoric would turn him off, and he's way too pragmatic to vote third party.

Split ticket, Hillary at the top.

This is all dependent on which Mike Judge we get writing this episode, because modern day...

He also was once met :argh:worst president ever Jimmy Carter:argh:, and was nothing but starsruck. He has a view of democracy that causes him to view even members of local zoning boards with a measure of awe.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bass Concert Hall posted:

Probably twice the normal line size.

me gusta

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If you are in Central FL early voting started this morning.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

He made "Idiocracy" who's plot was the lower classes are reproducing too fast and will ruin the world. He doesn't have that great of opinions

Idiotocracy made eugenics more palatable to nerds.

Also there was "The Goode Family" which deserves to be forgotten.

I like how we're all in agreement that Luanne would vote for La Riva though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh man I just read a thing about the Supreme Court decision gutting the VRA. What the gently caress, Supreme Court? What the gently caress, Roberts?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

This is a strawman of the anti-Nate arguments.

Is it? People here are at the same time upset about Nate including a factor for the input data being wrong and also love to cite Taleb for why the 2008 crash happened. You can't have it both ways.

WampaLord posted:

Also, all bankers are evil and morons.

That's a very simplistic view of the world. Sounds almost like...*~Republican Black and White Thinking~*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hillary, Ryan Solen (Dem challenger to Ryan :pray:) and Feingold all got a vote this morning. Second person in my district to vote too :getin:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

iospace posted:

Hillary, Ryan Solen (Dem challenger to Ryan :pray:) and Feingold all got a vote this morning. Second person in my district to vote too :getin:

Nice job friend. I just hope that "trump conservative" on your ballot is enough to act as a spoiler.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not to crap on the parade here because that owns, but as much as I know early voting favors the blue team, can it really swing states to one side or the other? Or does it bode well more because it's emblematic of turnout in general?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Artificer posted:

Oh man I just read a thing about the Supreme Court decision gutting the VRA. What the gently caress, Supreme Court? What the gently caress, Roberts?
No joke, but Roberts wrote even back in the 1980s about how we needed to gut the VRA because racism is over or whatever and I guess no one noticed this until they put out this lovely decision?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Not to crap on the parade here because that owns, but as much as I know early voting favors the blue team, can it really swing states to one side or the other? Or does it bode well more because it's emblematic of turnout in general?

If you vote early you've definitely voted. If you vote on election day there's a chance even your super likely voters won't vote. Maybe they get sick, or they have something come up for work, or there's a death in the family, etc. Once you vote early your likelihood of voting is 100% so it's better to bank as much vote as early as you can so you don't have to worry about the inevitable percentage of your voters that don't show up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

axeil posted:

Is it? People here are at the same time upset about Nate including a factor for the input data being wrong and also love to cite Taleb for why the 2008 crash happened. You can't have it both ways.

I don't know who Taleb is, but people are upset at Nate because his model is out of line with all of the other models. That has always been the reason. His model is different, and we won't truly know until after the election happens if it was the most accurate.

axeil posted:

That's a very simplistic view of the world. Sounds almost like...*~Republican Black and White Thinking~*

Just had to throw some shade your way, banker scum. :v:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

He also was once met :argh:worst president ever Jimmy Carter:argh:, and was nothing but starsruck. He has a view of democracy that causes him to view even members of local zoning boards with a measure of awe.
Hank views politics in the way that a high school civics class presents it. His fault is assuming that people act with dignity by default, and any profession can be noble.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
My early voting doesn't start for two more days. I can't wait!

Though I have yet to decide on who I am voting for in the WV governors race.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

inner vikings fan so shook now :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

No joke, but Roberts wrote even back in the 1980s about how we needed to gut the VRA because racism is over or whatever and I guess no one noticed this until they put out this lovely decision?

Whyyyyyyy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/790549629041606656
:thurman:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BUG JUG posted:

Seahawks kicker missed a 28 yarder last night that caused the game to end in a tie at the end of OT.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

People were talking about it running up to the decision and how maybe he's not really impartial on that topic but it's not like there's really any check on the Supreme Court at all once they get seated so no one could do much about it. I suppose if Roberts said "I am literally gutting the VRA for purely partisan reasons" maybe that might hurt the respectability of the court but it still probably wouldn't matter. Serious People seemed to be more angry with Ginsburg when she said that maybe this Trump guy is a danger to the Constitution with all his unconstitutional proposals (since that peeled back the absurd fallacy that SCOTUS Justices don't have political opinions and sometimes even maybe rule based on them :aaaaa:) than when Roberts blatantly enacted his personal agenda he had made clear for years.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 24, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

BUG JUG posted:

drat, beat by so little.

My comment was: "Obviously he hasn't watched any vikings games recently :colbert:"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Tim Kaine was just asked about this stuff on Meet the Press yesterday, so Trump is wrong again as usual.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I don't know who Taleb is, but people are upset at Nate because his model is out of line with all of the other models. That has always been the reason. His model is different, and we won't truly know until after the election happens if it was the most accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassim_Nicholas_Taleb and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Swan_(Taleb_book)

He wrote "The Black Swan" (not the Natalie Portman movie) which discusses a lot of the fundamental issues with statistical/econometric modeling. It's a really good book even if you still believe in statistical modeling (which I do), simply because it will point out the blindspots in models. Here's my favorite example, paraphrased a bit.

Say you are making a model to predict whether or not a turkey will die. As an input you take the monthly death rate for all turkeys in January and make it a daily rate. Each month you add another month's worth of data and continue predicting turkey deaths. Your model looks well-calibrated as it's typically hitting the death rate of turkeys right on the nose. And then Thanksgiving happens and you wildly miss. What happened?

Well you assumed that the future would behave like the past all the time and so you missed an outlier event that common sense says would happen. The insurance against this is including a factor that allows your model to move outside the realm of what's been previously seen before.

Been about 5 years since I've read the book so I may have been off slightly on the details but that's the thrust of the argument.

WampaLord posted:

Just had to throw some shade your way, banker scum. :v:

Hah, well at least we all can joke about it.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Importance of early voting, from the Post's daily political briefing (preceded by like 5 paragraphs about Dem early vote efforts):

Many Republicans familiar with Nevada worry about this nightmare scenario: If Trump loses decisively along the Eastern seaboard—New Hampshire, Virginia, North Carolina and/or Florida—the networks could declare that Clinton is the president-elect before polls even close in Nevada. Many core GOP voters typically cast their ballots while commuting home from work. What if a couple percent of them decide that the election is over and it’s not worth waiting in line? Because Republicans are so reliant on these voters, and Democrats will have so many votes locked in from early voting, it could lead to a down-ticket bloodbath. At the very least, it could tip a close Senate race to Cortez Masto.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Agrajag posted:

On another note, it disheartens me that apparently Ivanka's brand is doing really well despite being the Cheeto's surrogate. This really proves to me that if you put a pretty face in front of a fascist and bigoted platform it will sell well. It pisses me off to no end that Ivanka gets such a huge pass on all this poo poo.

I'm skeptical about how well her brand is doing. The Trump kids like to pretend that business has never been better, but I doubt that's true. My brother (who supports Trump), and works in retail, has noted a steep drop off in sales of Ivanka Trump merchandise - and that seems to gel with what a lot of news outlets are reporting about people boycotting her brand. People used to quietly put down a shoe after seeing her name and move on to other brands. Now they often complain to management about carrying Ivanka Trump stuff, and decide against shopping in the department entirely.

I wouldn't be surprised if she rebrands and drops the Trump name entirely within the next year.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I tried on a pair of Ivanka Trump heels once. They felt really cheaply made, like Target quality

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

Seahawks kicker missed a 28 yarder last night that caused the game to end in a tie at the end of OT.

In a 4-4 6-6 decision, the Supreme Court ruled...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I see Donnie has learned about redundancy from JEB! Bush.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Early voting in (iirc) North Carolina in 2012 was actually heavily Romney biased, that's why he won the state that year.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TyrantWD posted:

I'm skeptical about how well her brand is doing. The Trump kids like to pretend that business has never been better, but I doubt that's true. My brother (who supports Trump), and works in retail, has noted a steep drop off in sales of Ivanka Trump merchandise - and that seems to gel with what a lot of news outlets are reporting about people boycotting her brand. People used to quietly put down a shoe after seeing her name and move on to other brands. Now they often complain to management about carrying Ivanka Trump stuff, and decide against shopping in the department entirely.

I wouldn't be surprised if she rebrands and drops the Trump name entirely within the next year.

Pretty much the whole selling point was Trump name on cheap poo poo wasn't it?

I doubt it will ever recover even with a name change.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Riven posted:

Importance of early voting, from the Post's daily political briefing (preceded by like 5 paragraphs about Dem early vote efforts):

Many Republicans familiar with Nevada worry about this nightmare scenario: If Trump loses decisively along the Eastern seaboard—New Hampshire, Virginia, North Carolina and/or Florida—the networks could declare that Clinton is the president-elect before polls even close in Nevada. Many core GOP voters typically cast their ballots while commuting home from work. What if a couple percent of them decide that the election is over and it’s not worth waiting in line? Because Republicans are so reliant on these voters, and Democrats will have so many votes locked in from early voting, it could lead to a down-ticket bloodbath. At the very least, it could tip a close Senate race to Cortez Masto.

This is exactly why networks tend to wait until 1 minute after west coast polls close before announcing a winner, even if they project Clinton will win handily based on the west coast's solid blue status. They even get pissy when other sources like Slate or whoever project winners early for this exact reason. The only way you'll typically see big networks calling a win before polls close in California is if Hillary is actually called as the winner in 270 EV states before that time.

The scenes in 2012 of people in line at polling places being told Obama had won were polling places that remained open after the time they were supposed to close because the lines were so long that not everyone had voted yet, and if you stay in line you're guaranteed to be allowed to vote even if the polling place closing time is reached. Essentially, CA polls close at 8 PM and at 8:01 they could project Obama as the winner and so people still in line at like 8:15 because of long lines were being told Obama won but still staying in line to cast their ballots anyway.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

yeah i watched most of that abortion last night (two missed FG chip shots in OT c'mon now to end 6-6. trump's right we never win anymore), but my history of watching vikings kickers miss 'sure thing' field goals is deeply ingrained. see: 1999 nfccg; walsh, blair.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

If you vote early you've definitely voted. If you vote on election day there's a chance even your super likely voters won't vote. Maybe they get sick, or they have something come up for work, or there's a death in the family, etc. Once you vote early your likelihood of voting is 100% so it's better to bank as much vote as early as you can so you don't have to worry about the inevitable percentage of your voters that don't show up.

Fair point, I'm just... not Arzying but depressed because I think my stupid state (NC) is about to make some bad decisions down ticket. :(

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

vyelkin posted:

This is exactly why networks tend to wait until 1 minute after west coast polls close before announcing a winner, even if they project Clinton will win handily based on the west coast's solid blue status. They even get pissy when other sources like Slate or whoever project winners early for this exact reason. The only way you'll typically see big networks calling a win before polls close in California is if Hillary is actually called as the winner in 270 EV states before that time.

The scenes in 2012 of people in line at polling places being told Obama had won were polling places that remained open after the time they were supposed to close because the lines were so long that not everyone had voted yet, and if you stay in line you're guaranteed to be allowed to vote even if the polling place closing time is reached. Essentially, CA polls close at 8 PM and at 8:01 they could project Obama as the winner and so people still in line at like 8:15 because of long lines were being told Obama won but still staying in line to cast their ballots anyway.

wouldn't telling them so and so had already won cause them to leave the line and go home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

axeil posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassim_Nicholas_Taleb and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Swan_(Taleb_book)

He wrote "The Black Swan" (not the Natalie Portman movie) which discusses a lot of the fundamental issues with statistical/econometric modeling. It's a really good book even if you still believe in statistical modeling (which I do), simply because it will point out the blindspots in models. Here's my favorite example, paraphrased a bit.

Say you are making a model to predict whether or not a turkey will die. As an input you take the monthly death rate for all turkeys in January and make it a daily rate. Each month you add another month's worth of data and continue predicting turkey deaths. Your model looks well-calibrated as it's typically hitting the death rate of turkeys right on the nose. And then Thanksgiving happens and you wildly miss. What happened?

Well you assumed that the future would behave like the past all the time and so you missed an outlier event that common sense says would happen. The insurance against this is including a factor that allows your model to move outside the realm of what's been previously seen before.

Been about 5 years since I've read the book so I may have been off slightly on the details but that's the thrust of the argument.

Hah, well at least we all can joke about it.

This has nothing to do with the problem with Nate's models. All models include "a factor for the input data being wrong" so that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The problem with Nate's models is that they include two things that no one else does: a momentum adjustment, and a correction for pollster "house bias." The two most accurate models of the last elections rounds, which are PEC and Drew Linzer, both have shown that including both things do not make models better and instead increase uncertainty by adding another source of error.

In other words, it has been conclusively shown that the two things that are unique to Nate's model do not increase the predictive power of his models. Which is why people are upset with him, because those two things have been empirically shown to make a model perform worse, while at the same time making the models more volatile.

And here's the thing: Nate's model is in line with Linzer's and PEC's now. Except that Nate's model bounced around a lot more. So at this point, either all models are wrong in a similar way, or, if they are right, Nate's is a lot less useful, since it bounced around so much. In statistics, a simpler model that is accurate 3 months before with less data is far superior to the one who is accurate 3 weeks before with a ton mode data.

• Locked thread