Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

That first one was kinda a sequel to DK94 on the original Game Boy. Absolutely play that if you haven’t. It’s much better than Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

Yeah, I played DK94 way back when I was a kid and bought it again on VC for the 3DS. It's really good, I just remember also really enjoying MvDK. What sucks is that I had a carrying case with a GBA SP and a good amount of GBA games, but I've no idea where they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

Yeah, I played DK94 way back when I was a kid and bought it again on VC for the 3DS. It's really good, I just remember also really enjoying MvDK. What sucks is that I had a carrying case with a GBA SP and a good amount of GBA games, but I've no idea where they are.

Nintendo originally wanted to make a game called DK Plus that would let people make their own levels. They absolutely need to come back to that.

I'm hoping that shows up in one of the leaks.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
For anyone who is interested, the Monster Hunter series is on sale on the 3DS e-shop. There's also a myrewards discount you can stack on top of the sale price for Monster Hunter Stories.

I don't think there's anything else really missing from my 3DS/DS collection, aside from maybe Majora's Mask 3D, Ever Oasis, and maybe the DS version of Bowser's Inside Story. The remake was the one I played and it seemed fine to me.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've never bought a virtual console game, and mostly played physical cartridges for the 3DS's whole lifespan.

If I buy virtual console games on 3DS, do they transfer to Switch? I'm betting no, but I can't find anything talking about how virtual console licenses work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No software transfers from 3DS to Switch.

You can can transfer your Monster Hunter Generations character on 3DS to Generations Ultimate on Switch though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Twerk from Home posted:

I've never bought a virtual console game, and mostly played physical cartridges for the 3DS's whole lifespan.

If I buy virtual console games on 3DS, do they transfer to Switch? I'm betting no, but I can't find anything talking about how virtual console licenses work.

Switch doesn’t have virtual console. Instead there’s NES and SNES games included when you get an online subscription.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Nah Tiamo gets multiple dancing Pokemon. No Ludicolo though.

Also you literally also beat Gary/Blue in everything everywhere? He literally never wins he just has a shittier attitude.

I checked, you're right. I was just so disappointed he never got a Ludicolo I blocked the other 2 he had out.

As for the second point, Commander Keene has me covered.

Commander Keene posted:

At the very least, Gary was always one step ahead of you. By the time you get to the Gyms, he's already beaten the leaders. He meets Bill before you, gets Cut from the SS Anne before you, and is already in the Rocket base by the time you get there. He beats the Pokemon League and becomes champion before you. The only person he can't beat is you, and I think it's supposed to be a "tortoise and the hare"-type situation in-universe where you have the edge you need because you take the extra time to prepare.

Meanwhile Serena literally fails at everything. I just feel bad for her. Gary was a jerk and deserved to get beaten, but Serena is actually pretty nice. She just sucks and fails everywhere.
I suppose that's one thing to say about the X/Y rivals. They're all nice. Just a little underdeveloped.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

People do seem to inflate how bad Gary is in the games, he's just kind of a little rude? He even helps you out a couple of times over the course of the game, with little hints on where to go next.

I guess it's Anime Gary and his "Gary was here, Ash is a LOOOOOOOSER!" attitude seeping into people's recollections of how he was in the games.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Oh ya. That game is peak GBA. And it has a remarkable amount of content

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Commander Keene posted:

People do seem to inflate how bad Gary is in the games, he's just kind of a little rude? He even helps you out a couple of times over the course of the game, with little hints on where to go next.

I guess it's Anime Gary and his "Gary was here, Ash is a LOOOOOOOSER!" attitude seeping into people's recollections of how he was in the games.

Yeah. What's his name from Gold&Silver was way more of an rear end in a top hat during the course of the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Commander Keene posted:

The only really objectively bad thing he does is ambush you in Silph right before you confront Giovanni for no reason? Like you're trying to take down a dude holding a building worth of people hostage and he just waltzes in and fights you then peaces out.

Otherwise he was just kind of a low level dick who was one step ahead of you throughout the game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Yeah. What's his name from Gold&Silver was way more of an rear end in a top hat during the course of the game.

Silver straight up steals his starter Pokemon. He takes after his dad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

OhFunny posted:

It's ???

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

OhFunny posted:

You mean FART?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Zore posted:

The only really objectively bad thing he does is ambush you in Silph right before you confront Giovanni for no reason? Like you're trying to take down a dude holding a building worth of people hostage and he just waltzes in and fights you then peaces out.

Yeah in retrospect that part doesn't actually make any sense when you think about it. The only conclusion you can come to is that he's a loving rear end in a top hat lmfao

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Color Printer posted:

Yeah in retrospect that part doesn't actually make any sense when you think about it. The only conclusion you can come to is that he's a loving rear end in a top hat lmfao

He was just making sure you were powerful enough to take on the mafia. That's a sign of a good anime friend.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't remember the last Pokemon game I beat... when did they start doing the rival triangle thing? Was it Ruby/Sapphire, with the sick kid and someone else?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah RSE had Wally the sick kid, though he barely shows up, and then whichever trainer you dont pick when asked if you're a boy or girl at the start of the game becomes your rival

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

He’s a little rude and extremely self centered. You encounter him at multiple locations usually at the end of a dungeon so he can pick on you, which probably helps his evil blue narrative.
He is in the rocket base near giovanny, but doesn’t actually try to help.
He is at Bill’s house first and mentions there’s only Pokémon there, but apparently doesn’t interact with the Pokebill or try to help him.
You meet him at the ghost tower and he also apparently didn’t try anything there either.
He has 1 goal and ignores everything else.

He is actually worse than Gary in that sense. Since he does try to do the right thing in a lot of cases. Blue is Annoying and a little Dickish, but not Silver levels of “evil”.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Darth TNT posted:

You meet him at the ghost tower and he also apparently didn’t try anything there either.

he has a specific reason for being in ghost tower rip raticate

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just in case anyone is interested, all of the Sega and Atlus library is on sale on the 3DS e-shop.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Just in case anyone is interested, all of the Sega and Atlus library is on sale on the 3DS e-shop.

America-only, apparently. Got excited for nothing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
On sale Project Mirai is 10 bucks and anyone who doesn’t buy it at that price is a monster.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ryuga Death posted:

Good, because have you checked prices on SMT4A lately?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Probably a dumb question but is the DS version of Bowser's Inside Story worth playing if I already played the remake?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i haven't played both but according to all i've heard, no. unless you just feel like replaying the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

Probably a dumb question but is the DS version of Bowser's Inside Story worth playing if I already played the remake?

Not really. The original is in 60fps but it doesn’t really matter for this kind of game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wait the remake runs at a worse framerate? Whaaaat!?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gutcruncher posted:

Wait the remake runs at a worse framerate? Whaaaat!?

Yeah. It’s 30fps. It was clearly a rushed remake but I still think it’s better than the original in most ways.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I still think it’s better than the original in most ways.

Can you list some of what's better about it? Legit question. I didn't buy it because I have no idea if anything was actually improved.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is Donkey Kong Country Returns worth buying for $20?

Also I like Kirby, what’s the most I should pay for Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Saoshyant posted:

Can you list some of what's better about it? Legit question. I didn't buy it because I have no idea if anything was actually improved.

Never played the original, playing the remake right now and I know they did redo all the graphics for it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Also I like Kirby, what’s the most I should pay for Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn?

If you can get Epic Yarn for 15 or less then fine, but it's not very good. I love Kirby games, and I went into this one pretty excited, and boy is it a dull experience. It's too easy for even a Kirby game and you really don't have a lot of powers.

I'm half-way through the game and slowly getting there bit by bit, but it's not worth the effort. The only good thing about it is the music is really pretty great. I hope Yoshi's Wooly World isn't this bad... It actually looks like it may be ok. No Yoshi's Island but a solid effort.

Is there any point in replaying the levels in the Hard Mode? Because I don't know if I want to bother.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yoshi’s Wooly World is pretty great.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I just realized today that the 3DS, a system that can natively play DS games, was on the market for three years longer than the only system* that can officially emulate them. That's pretty wild.

* aside from the Mega Man ZX Switch ports.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_%26_Luigi:_Bowser%27s_Inside_Story_%2B_Bowser_Jr.%27s_Journey has a good list of changes. There's some QoL improvements and I like how it looks.

Xenomrph posted:

Absolutely. It's a fantastic game and especially worth it if you've played Tropical Freeze. Epic Yarn I'd play the Wii version instead.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Chat elsewhere reminded me-- is there any way to fake/homebrew streetpass stuff nowadays? Archives of streetpass entries that can be injected as if the servers still existed, that sort if thing?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Chat elsewhere reminded me-- is there any way to fake/homebrew streetpass stuff nowadays? Archives of streetpass entries that can be injected as if the servers still existed, that sort if thing?

Not really. Your best bet is to take it with you passing by game stores like in the old days

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not really. Your best bet is to take it with you passing by game stores like in the old days

lol game stores in 2020.

IIRC there's a fake streetpass emulator you can set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is probably a dumb question but is there an issue of fake DS games being sold on ebay? I saw a lot of sellers with brand new copies of Phantom Hourglass being sold for cheap and reviews saying the copies would stop working after a bit. Is this not an issue for 3DS games?