Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sander posted:

OK, so I hear that Build Divers is rear end while its sequel is actually good.

Can I watch rerise without sitting through the first show first?

Yep. I completely skipped Divers and Re:Rise is one of my favorite Gundam shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Warmachine posted:

Yep. I completely skipped Divers and Re:Rise is one of my favorite Gundam shows.

Yeah I introduced three of my friends to Re:Rise going direct in. All you need to know is that a guild called Build Divers made a name for themselves by saving the EL-Diver, an AI that generated within their MMO.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Warmachine posted:

Nice.

I know what I'm doing next.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I do think your experience with Re Rise is slightly improved by the realization that it's themes extend outside of the show itself into the real world by how it treats Build Divers. But nowhere near enough to make watching Build Divers worth it, that poo poo is a slog.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The one thing you need to know is that Divers has multiple fights better than anything in ReRise. No offense to the Xebec guys.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

haypliss posted:

The one thing you need to know is that Divers has multiple fights better than anything in ReRise. No offense to the Xebec guys.

Divers has one (1) good fight. The real world fight. It has one ok fight if you just like flashy colors, the fight with the wolf guy. And the penguin Kapool is generally entertaining. That's it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

haypliss posted:

There are some good fights in Build Divers but I doubt I'd go that far. I guess you could watch Lotus Challenge and Friends Reunited standalone. Those were probably my favorite fights.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Yeah, Lotus Challenge is a big one. In terms of "rival" fights that aren't Shiba's I feel like Oni works better than Tigerwolf because the latter is hurt more from the lack of character writing to back it up. I appreciated ReRise having its unique situations and tactical layer but it was much more whelming when actually watching the fights unfold.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Literally just read the Wikipedia article for Divers. That gives you pretty much all the grounding you need for ReRise.

Word of warning - BDRR is a deliberately slow starter, so be patient and let it cook. It is actually going somewhere with all its character-work and setup.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Divers has one (1) good fight. The real world fight. It has one ok fight if you just like flashy colors, the fight with the wolf guy. And the penguin Kapool is generally entertaining. That's it.

I think the team versus team fight in episode 7 was okay. Not good enough to get me to stick around for episode 8, but the animation was good enough, there was some creativity on display, and the premise actually used the five on five the show promised and almost never delivered.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk why its so hard to just make 'girls und panzer but with gundams' but both try and divers hosed it up

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
ReRise is the best Gundam show due to the Woundwort being shown, if only for an a second.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

idk why its so hard to just make 'girls und panzer but with gundams' but both try and divers hosed it up

It was probably a warning sign when Try stopped bothering to actually have full enemy teams of named characters and started throwing out "teams" of "one important named guy and two extras who have no purpose in the fight" constantly.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Try peaked with the Tryon 3 fight, everything after that is basically just a really bland blur in my mind.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

3 posted:

Try peaked with the Tryon 3 fight, everything after that is basically just a really bland blur in my mind.

I liked the Crossbone fight. Too bad that was that guy's only appearance in the show, it felt like a sequel hook that had no chance of ever showing up again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

3 posted:

You would say that about a Tri 3 fight wouldn't you.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I have to uphold my brand.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ar031995/status/1677420740902289408?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Halo GMfininite.

Is the Thunderbolt Ground Gundam an actual gundam or is it another one of the GM "Gundam Head" conversions? It actually put up a pretty good fight when it featured unlike most mass production suits.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Try special that had Fumina and Kaoruko be Gundam Cure Black and Cure White was also good but I'm probably biased there

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The Try special that had Fumina and Kaoruko be Gundam Cure Black and Cure White was also good but I'm probably biased there

It had the ghosts of all the unbuilt Acguy heads from Bearguy kits, so you kind of have to appreciate it on that alone.

I think that the Battlogues also pushed Build Fighters to third place for the setting with the most animated content with that, the two specials, and the two half length anime.

Depends on how long the cutscenes are in the IBO Mobile game, I guess.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Halo GMfininite.

Is the Thunderbolt Ground Gundam an actual gundam or is it another one of the GM "Gundam Head" conversions? It actually put up a pretty good fight when it featured unlike most mass production suits.

It's GMs made to look like Gundams.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had a really stupid thought hop into my brain today and I decided to make this thing.

Yoshiyuki Tomato

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just was listening to MSB's episode for the 0083 finale, and it was interesting to have it brought up that the big difference between Kou and Gato's machines is that, in the end, Kou can leave, because it reminded me of something someone, I think it was Walrus, talked about for IBO's endgame. (Although Bael doesn't quite fit).

There, you have the Barbatos (a samurai degraded into a monster) the Vidar and Kimaris Vidar (a monster trying to force itself back into the shape of a noble warrior, with the disguise fraying in endgame) and the Julia (an ordinary Mobile Suit disguised as a monster), and all three say something about their pilots.

Just neat the ways the various shows use mech designs to comment on character arcs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Just was listening to MSB's episode for the 0083 finale, and it was interesting to have it brought up that the big difference between Kou and Gato's machines is that, in the end, Kou can leave, because it reminded me of something someone, I think it was Walrus, talked about for IBO's endgame. (Although Bael doesn't quite fit).

There, you have the Barbatos (a samurai degraded into a monster) the Vidar and Kimaris Vidar (a monster trying to force itself back into the shape of a noble warrior, with the disguise fraying in endgame) and the Julia (an ordinary Mobile Suit disguised as a monster), and all three say something about their pilots.

Just neat the ways the various shows use mech designs to comment on character arcs.

Ayup, I did that starting here. Starts off with a profile of the Barbatos, and continues in subsequent posts through the other S2 Gundams.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth Walrus posted:

Ayup, I did that starting here. Starts off with a profile of the Barbatos, and continues in subsequent posts through the other S2 Gundams.

I think of these posts every so often, they're an excellent read. Thanks for linking to them again, it got me reading them once more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/STRICTG/status/1677120243859161088

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Strict GX-Swans is a ridiculous name for sunglasses and entirely appropriate for people who want to look like four vaginas

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I believe this is a collab between two brands named Strict-G and Swans

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can see a swans fan wearing those

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Borat voice: vageena

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arc Hammer posted:

Strict GX-Swans is a ridiculous name for sunglasses and entirely appropriate for people who want to look like four vaginas

It's Strict-G x Swans, not Strict GX-Swans. X is commonly used in Japan the way that western stuff would use + or & to indicate a crossover or collaboration.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

It's Strict-G x Swans, not Strict GX-Swans. X is commonly used in Japan the way that western stuff would use + or & to indicate a crossover or collaboration.

So it would be like Gun X Sword or Hunter X Hunter where the X is silent.

So Strict-G Swans. Still sounds gundam-ish. Deploy the G Swan.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

Deploy the G Swan.

Isn't that just the Penelope?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only way to defeat a tall goose is with a G Swan

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, the fact that it came to mind so quick says a lot about the quality of those posts.

It's especially interesting for me in the context of the latest show, since some stuff there has really made me wonder about the connection between mechanical design and scripting.

We know for PD that the ending was revised pretty late in the game (which is especially notable since interviews have confirmed that Tekkadan was meant to meet a bad end since episode 1 scene 1), and there's actually a kit (well, accessory pack) showing the design Barbatos would have used in the abandoned original ending, but overall PD feels like one of the shows that was more mapped out. Sure, Gaelio was meant to die and Carta didn't exist and Naze was a villain and on and on, but the first draft still had the basic skeleton intact. Mikazuki and Orga's toxic friendship leads them to only see one way forward, even past the point where it's wise, the path ends in their deaths. Part of the reason the designs reflect the characters so well might be those defined arcs being there from the beginning, giving some constants to work off.

(I'll also mention something I found out about Rustal and Orga's costume design since that post. Apparently, the loose coats is a bit of a cliche for yakuza bosses in Japanese media, so Rustal and Orga both rocking the coat cape emphasizes that, for all Gaelio's honor and McGillis's delusions of glory, this isn't a battle of good and evil. This is a good old fashioned turf war.)

Actually, since I was talking the latest show, I might as well actually say something about the designs, because Witch from Mercury really feels like it lost the plot there when it switched to season 2, and that makes me very curious about the behind the scenes.

So, season 1, Witch has a lot of good narrative via MS design. Aerial is the Lfrith but more elegant, a machine that could be turned into a medical device or a weapon of war being rebuilt into a child's closest friend and guardian, contrasting with the Ur and the Thorn's shift into being more ramshackle and deformed, weapons for desperate rebels made monstrous by monstrous circumstances, and the distorted Pharact, a corporate engine designed from the ground up to murder children for political advantage. Then you end the season with the Aerial Rebuild, the innocent sprite turned into a proper Gundam, a way to kill people in bulk, terrifying Miorine. You even get some really cool stuff with the basic weapon systems. Spacenoids and duels use beams, fantasy weapons. You only see real bullets when the season ends with the intrusion of real war into the child's play of the school.

Season 2, though? Season 2 was, judging from the credits and snatches of comments from the staff, a real mess behind the scenes, and the MS design's connection to the plot isn't immune to the strain the rest of the show was under. (In fact, I suspect the kit delays were partially due to last-second rewrites of the manuals to move them to the show's actual context). The Aerial Rebuild, the soldier with a fleet killing super cannon, goes right back to fighting in duels like nothing happened. It doesn't even kill in the next terrorist attack, with the pilot dying to her own choices rather than any action of Suletta's. Sure, it's the villain for a bit in the end, but it loses the immediate impact by spending so much time doing the same thing as Aerial, with the same lack of direct consequences. It's hurt further by Suletta's lack of connection. She never acts as a soldier, making the more militarized design disconnect, and the reveal her list came from her mother means the Aerial's "innocent" phase doesn't work, because she was just as much of a pawn for revenge then as when she piloted the Rebuild.

But at least Aerial's Rebuild still had a clear purpose and eventually executes it. The other new designs don't hit that mark. Where Chuchu's demitrainer shows the lengths the Earth house has to go to when competing with the rich kids, forcing every ounce of performance out of a crapbox, the Demibarding was just handed over to do nothing, without even leaning into the whole ZZ Gundam style "teamwork!" thing that its backpack suggests as a likely narrative course. Similarly, the Caliban is just tossed at Suletta with no real personal connection (it could be a nice bit with the 'unwanted' children coming together, but Prospera's sympathy moment when casting Suletta aside undermines that), and doesn't look simple enough to be a stripped down prototype (despite the dull colors) or vicious enough to be the unshielded death machine that will devour all who try to control it. (Compare the Pharact. Now that is a machine planning to eat its pilot alive.) It has the on-the-nose broom weapon, but considering it's the Aerial doing the magic up to the end, it feels more like a wink at the title than anything about this particular machine.

Of course, I saved the 'best' for last. The Schwarzette has the terrible luck to be Lauda's machine, and, other than it having his company's aesthetics, it doesn't connect to him at all. Instead of bulky weapons and heavy armor like his Dilanza, it's small and equipped with swarms of funnels, the main weapon reduced to an elegant beam sword once its main features are deployed. The design has as little connection to Lauda's role in the narrative as Lauda has to do with the main plot, and it makes me wonder if it had a different pilot in earlier drafts.

It's a shame. Witch does good setup to have some really interesting bits with the MS design language, and then it doesn't do anything to bring it home.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Are there any mobile suit oriented data books with cool illustrations available in English

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Are there any mobile suit oriented data books with cool illustrations available in English

There's MS Era, if you want to count that. It's a collection of One Year War era war photographs. It was originally released in English, despite being a Japanese artbook, and it even uses the old localization names from before things got standardized.

More recently, Hobby Japan has released English kindle versions of their model kit books. Could be worth a look, if you're into that sort of thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ar031995/status/1678705419924160512?t=BoWyarTtLxG2-hvLZQQSuw&s=19

Gundam a day person is getting close to 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1679621914711687170?s=46&t=AmPFp8IhShc9V7FbJx_Uhg