Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
All I had to do was walk away.

So I did.

Sorry Thaler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You're terrible.

Say whatever you want about Roche and Ves, but Thaler is the man and one of the most loyal and surprisingly honest (given his line of work) characters, at least with regard to his interactions with Geralt. Thaler is awesome, and he gives you your own Gwent card. He was keeping it safe for you.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 29, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The Scoiatel did nothing wrong. Critical support for upper Aedirn in their national struggle against Kaedweni and Nilfgaard imperialism.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's what drove Djikstra quest for me, yeah. I could see the point he was making and frankly I kind of agreed with it, but...Roche and Ves had my back when I needed them and I feel like in the gross world of the Witcher, that's way more important than whatever the hell the greater good might turn out to be (probably bad for witchers, like most things)

More or less my reasoning. It wasn't obvious to me Djikstra was going to be better than Nilgaard for anyone but Redania - there was a case for it but history is too contingent and temperamental for me to have made that choice, whereas my buddies dying was certain.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Hobo Clown posted:

On my "Bad Decision Geralt" playthrough I was planning to side with Djikstra, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Putting that decision after Roche & Ves already helped you out at Kaer Morhen makes it really hard to justify walking away as they get slaughtered. I was also planning to get the Empress Ciri ending, so it didn't make a lot of sense to back the guy planning to continue the war against the Empire.

If you wanted that ending then you had to do the decision you did, Ciri can't succeed Emhyr if he's been lynched after losing the war.

Also it weirds me out that there's been this whole discussion comparing Redanian/Nilfgaardian rule, but there's been no mention of slavery. That seems pretty big?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The Scoiatel did nothing wrong. Critical support for upper Aedirn in their national struggle against Kaedweni and Nilfgaard imperialism.

As much as I love Witcher 3 they really dropped the ball for people who did the Iorveth path. Most of the main plot threads from it weren't really followed up on. We never see Iorveth again while Roche is a fairly important. The Scoia'tal are absent save a two second cameo. The theme of Non-Human persecution takes a backseat to Mage persecution. And while the question of Temeria's fate from Roche's path is important, everyone forgot Upper Aedirn even exists. The game pretty much assumes the Roche path.

I guess I just really wanted Gerald, Iorveth, and Roche to form Bro-Force and punch Eredin in the balls while giving each other sick high-fives.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Zoltan is a former bandit and scoia'tael member and completely unrepentant about both.

So is Ciri.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Staltran posted:

If you wanted that ending then you had to do the decision you did, Ciri can't succeed Emhyr if he's been lynched after losing the war.

Also it weirds me out that there's been this whole discussion comparing Redanian/Nilfgaardian rule, but there's been no mention of slavery. That seems pretty big?

i forgot that nilfgaardians practised slavery. UGGGHHHHH well that fucks up the math, although the fog of history versus the immediacy of harm to your friends thing still seems like a reasonable justification... and if you have ciri become empress nilfgaardian ascendancy becomes more palatable.

edit: although nilfgaardian conquest also has the problem that it's going to be pretty unstable. the northern kingdoms do not seem to be particularly backwards in comparison to nilfgaard from what i've seen; nilfgaard is already almost bankrupt from the war and has other fronts to worry about; and nationalism has already appeared as a motive force in the northern kingdoms (rather than loyalty to a feudal ruler), all of which together make rebellion likely and will probably have a good chance of success. oh if only djikstra had brought the temerians into his plans. :(

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 29, 2018

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's what drove Djikstra quest for me, yeah. I could see the point he was making and frankly I kind of agreed with it, but...Roche and Ves had my back when I needed them and I feel like in the gross world of the Witcher, that's way more important than whatever the hell the greater good might turn out to be (probably bad for witchers, like most things)

Weren't they pretty much useless on Kaer Morhen? I had bad rear end Witchers and Sorceresses on my aid ... and Roche. He even started trouble, because biggest chunk of Witcher bad-assery and my bro-for-life Letho was invited to the party.
Some kings did deserve to be killed. :ese:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

adhuin posted:

Weren't they pretty much useless on Kaer Morhen? I had bad rear end Witchers and Sorceresses on my aid ... and Roche. He even started trouble, because biggest chunk of Witcher bad-assery and my bro-for-life Letho was invited to the party.

True, but Foltest wasn't one of them. By all rights he wasn't an awful king, just a powerful one. Womanizer and possessive rear end in a top hat, but decent enough ruler. Henselt and Radovid were both much bigger pieces of poo poo and more deserving of death. On that note, Henselt's fate didn't matter at all in this game, which is a bummer since of the many choices to be had in TW2, that one would have had the most bearing on 3.

It's also heavily hinted in the epilogue that despite Nilfgaardian victory in the North, it's pretty short-lived and the Black Ones don't really keep a tight grip on the region at all. I'd imagine it'd end up similar to Toissant, where the Empire is nominally in charge, but no one really gives a poo poo about their methods and rules, and everyone just goes back to following their local liegelord/monarch.

Y'all seem to be forgetting that Toissant is part of the Empire and has been for a long time. You're basically choosing between British colonial rule or letting Mussolini/Putin stage a coupe, because make no mistake, Djikstra is totally an authoritarian.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
All you Zoltan apologists seem to conveniently forget that time he and his friends murdered the (clearly surrendering) Nilfgaardian officer corps after the Battle of Brenna was already over.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

genericnick posted:

So is Ciri.

Ciri saved the multiverse, so I give her a little slack. Did Zoltan save the multiverse? Thought so. :colbert:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

They are Nilfgaardians, who cares

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Fuzz posted:

Y'all seem to be forgetting that Toissant is part of the Empire and has been for a long time. You're basically choosing between British colonial rule or letting Mussolini/Putin stage a coupe, because make no mistake, Djikstra is totally an authoritarian.

He's more Napoleon than Mussolini.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

adhuin posted:

All kings deserve to be killed.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Samuringa posted:

The one true divine right.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fuzz posted:

True, but Foltest wasn't one of them. By all rights he wasn't an awful king, just a powerful one. Womanizer and possessive rear end in a top hat, but decent enough ruler. Henselt and Radovid were both much bigger pieces of poo poo and more deserving of death. On that note, Henselt's fate didn't matter at all in this game, which is a bummer since of the many choices to be had in TW2, that one would have had the most bearing on 3.

It's also heavily hinted in the epilogue that despite Nilfgaardian victory in the North, it's pretty short-lived and the Black Ones don't really keep a tight grip on the region at all. I'd imagine it'd end up similar to Toissant, where the Empire is nominally in charge, but no one really gives a poo poo about their methods and rules, and everyone just goes back to following their local liegelord/monarch.

i got this feeling, however Nilfgaard is near-bankrupt and they might jack up extremely high taxes on conquered territories.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Samuringa posted:

Letho's real crime wasn't killing Foltest, it was making Geralt look bad.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’ve mentioned it before but as someone whose witcher journey started with the introduction to 2 i never quite understood what the big deal about this foltest guy was anyway

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i’ve mentioned it before but as someone whose witcher journey started with the introduction to 2 i never quite understood what the big deal about this foltest guy was anyway

political destabilization, mainly

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

Temeria was the strongest of the Northern Realms, particularly with Foltest in charge. The people loved him, he ran things well, and other than starting a war over his legitimate bastard children and also fathering a Striga, he was pretty fair and treated his army well. Nilfgaard wanted him and Demavend out of the way ASAP specifically because those two would band together and could easily repel a Nilfgardian invasion, even without Aedirn or Redania's help. The only reason Nilfgard managed to even gain ground in the North is because Temeria imploded and they could use Vizima as a forward base.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
He was also very good at loving his hot sister

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Neurosis posted:

He was also very good at loving his hot sister

everyone* in the w3 universe is lovely in some way, including Geralt

*maybe not Ciri, godings, and trolls, they're pretty cool

<insert Johnny monologue about the delight of making GBS threads to the sunrise>

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Incest is jaywalking compared to the atrocities that happen in the Witcher universe.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Whole lot of sister-fucker apologists in here.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Samuringa posted:

Maybe the realms need a Queen then (HINT HINT).

Helith posted:

Well, if I recall correctly it was at least consensual. Meaning it was sick and wrong, but...well...yeah I'm not sure where I'm going with this :barf:

Regardless, Foltest is a lot like Jaime from GoT. He has enough positive qualities that you might end up liking him despite...his...uh....proclivities.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 30, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Helith posted:

Stop kinkshaming.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Fuzz posted:

Those are both really lovely choices, but I don't think I'd go with British colonial rule. An authoritarian coup is less likely to end with millions dead of starvation, after all. And of course Dijkstra is an authoritarian, but is being a monarchist really any better?

Besides, I don't think it's ever explained how Touissant became part of Nilfgaard. Maybe they were annexed peacefully. Temeria will be autonomous, sure, but I don't think the rest of the North will be at all. I just rewatched the epilogue if Emhyr win the war and I really don't see how it's hinted Nilfgaard won't keep a tight grip. Is it because it mentions forces being shifted to other fronts? That seems a very weak argument to me, of course Nilfgaard will withdraw most of its army after the war is over.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Staltran posted:

Those are both really lovely choices, but I don't think I'd go with British colonial rule. An authoritarian coup is less likely to end with millions dead of starvation, after all. And of course Dijkstra is an authoritarian, but is being a monarchist really any better?

Besides, I don't think it's ever explained how Touissant became part of Nilfgaard. Maybe they were annexed peacefully. Temeria will be autonomous, sure, but I don't think the rest of the North will be at all. I just rewatched the epilogue if Emhyr win the war and I really don't see how it's hinted Nilfgaard won't keep a tight grip. Is it because it mentions forces being shifted to other fronts? That seems a very weak argument to me, of course Nilfgaard will withdraw most of its army after the war is over.

I got the sense that it was mostly that Touissant makes great wine, Nilfgaard doesn't want to gently caress that up, so they took control but mostly stayed hands off other than defending them from being taken over by anyone else.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm pretty sure the ruling families of Nilfgaard and Toussaint are related (cousins?) so the latter's special privileges as a vassal state is probably nepotism.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 30, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

In It For The Tank posted:

I'm pretty sure the ruling families of Nilfgaard and Toussaint are related (cousins?) so the latter's special privileges as a vassal state is probably nepotism.

i've been assuming all the royal families have common roots but that might be projecting too much from the real world - i mean, the people in witcherworld are at least familiar with genetics so maybe they'd be aware of incest not being a good id- ahahahah nope the best northern king is a sister-fucker.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Wasn't the gossip around his daughter that she was strigga cursed because she was the result of incest? I can't remember if that was literally it or just what the peasants assumed, but I have the (possibly incorrect) memory of that being the story going around Witcher world.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What mods should I use for my second playthrough? Is that one rebalance mod the CD-Projekt dev did any good?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Thinking about the same thing. I have a hunch that a mod that slightly lowers the leveling speed to combat over-leveling will be all that I need. It was my biggest peeve in the vanilla game.

This is the most promising one that I found: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2564/

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Futuresight posted:

Wasn't the gossip around his daughter that she was strigga cursed because she was the result of incest? I can't remember if that was literally it or just what the peasants assumed, but I have the (possibly incorrect) memory of that being the story going around Witcher world.

That might be the in-world rumor but I'm pretty sure she specifically was cursed by someone, with the heavy hint being that it was Ostrit or whatever the guy Geralt uses as bait's name was.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It seems that in general queens are better rulers in Witcherverse. Granny Calanthe was cool, and the main reason Nilfgaard didn't win the first war. Maeve can somehow keep the fight going against the odds. Cerys can force the Viking assholes to civilize. Anna Henrietta kept her people out of the war. Francesca won knife-ears a kingdom under protection of Nilfgaard.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Foltest is practically an angel by their standards :D He is so woke that when Henselt proposed to create an international anti-scoiatel punishment force that would operate without borders Foltest said that he finds communal punishment of entire races barbaric but eh, go with it if you want it so much.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

In It For The Tank posted:

It's a mixture iirc. The Ducal family is a cadet branch of the var Emreis dynasty. In the books Anarietta even admits that their duchy exists as the semi-autonomous fairy tale as it does because 1. They are connected and Emhyr likes them2. It's an economic powerhouse that pays its taxes on time. 3. It's not a realistic place, it's a wealthy, eccentric place with knights and quests that can't actually compete or threaten anyone important, but it can line the pockets of whomever is bleeding for its fairy tale.

Nilfgaard in general seems to follow a fairly rigid set of rules that are a shout out to the Roman Empire. You can do whatever you want, especially in private, just don't gently caress with the legions, pay your taxes, and don't declare yourself independent, and Toussaint plays that like a fiddle.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
geralt's sardonic dialogue seems to move into overdrive in the dlc, which i guess makes sense since he's not dealing with the fates of his loved ones anymore.

'i demand satisfaction!' 'go to the nearest brothel, then'

also when the two knights are confronting the bandits and attempting peace and then one of the bandits refers to the queen as a wench and the knights visibly puff up like animals making a threat display and geralt says 'Uh oh, you've offended the duchess'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pellisworth posted:

everyone* in the w3 universe is lovely

*maybe not Ciri, godings, and trolls, they're pretty cool

Ciri spent months traveling with a band of thieves and cutthroats happily raiding towns like Robin Hoods without a moral compass.