Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hobo Clown posted:

Everything in your chest will still be there in NG+ but anything that isn't Aerondight will be outclassed fairly early on.

Well luckily my alchemy build doesn't give two shits about numbers and is focused entirely on percentage based damage, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Yeah, also you'll lose any gear you have on your armour stands in your house, which is worth noting

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I just got the aerondight and it seems absolutely insane????

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

fridge corn posted:

I just got the aerondight and it seems absolutely insane????

Yup, it is. Welcome to the best sword in the game.

Also you can get the runewright to add enchantment slots to it if you want to make it even more ridiculous.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

DoctorTristan posted:

Yup, it is. Welcome to the best sword in the game.

Also you can get the runewright to add enchantment slots to it if you want to make it even more ridiculous.

I recommend the one that extends the range of the special light/heavy sword attacks.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
just a moment ago i played the bit where you talk to the old countess who knew vesemir, and she asked how he died asking if he died like a witcher. my immediate response in my head as to what i'd put into geralt's mouth was, verbatim, 'he died like a goddamned hero' and a second after i think this geralt pauses and says 'No, he died like a hero', causing me to mark out hard for this game

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

mauman posted:

I recommend the one that extends the range of the special light/heavy sword attacks.

A good sword, extended whirl and lower level enemies is the recipe for fun. I massacred an entire Hanse base in seconds with it, about 20 guys bunched around me turned into a whirling storm of blood and assorted giblets. It was horrifying and also loving amazing :kheldragar:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Not the Messiah posted:

A good sword, extended whirl and lower level enemies is the recipe for fun. I massacred an entire Hanse base in seconds with it, about 20 guys bunched around me turned into a whirling storm of blood and assorted giblets. It was horrifying and also loving amazing :kheldragar:

And the extended special heavy basically becomes a short ranged shockwave attack...perfect for cheesing any big tough single targets.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Neurosis posted:

just a moment ago i played the bit where you talk to the old countess who knew vesemir, and she asked how he died asking if he died like a witcher. my immediate response in my head as to what i'd put into geralt's mouth was, verbatim, 'he died like a goddamned hero' and a second after i think this geralt pauses and says 'No, he died like a hero', causing me to mark out hard for this game

"And how did Lambert die?"
*Geralt lets out a long disappointed sigh* He DIDN'T

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Not the Messiah posted:

A capped, whirl-extended aerondight through a Hanse base is easily the most catastrophic thing you can achieve in this game. It's one of the very few things these days that can make my PC chug a bit.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 27, 2018

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Macaluso posted:

"And how did Lambert die?"
*Geralt lets out a long disappointed sigh* He DIDN'T

I let Lambert get killed on my second playthrough and it was kind of a letdown. You pretty much have to fail on purpose to get it to happen (saving him is trivial even if Keira isn't there) and almost nothing changes. Everyone just talks about how sad it is that Vesemir died only some of them will have an "also Lambert" line added. I don't even hate Lambert, I just wanted to see what happens.

FunkMonkey posted:

A capped, whirl-extended aerondight through a Hanse base is easily the most catastrophic thing you can achieve in this game. It's one of the very few things these days that can make my PC chug a bit.

Aerondight is a silver sword so those Hanse bandits probably just shrug it off.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

Neurosis posted:

And if you meet her before he dies, you can then go back to Vesemir and let him know his girl was looking for him. You ask if he might go find her, and he says he might just do that after everything is over.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Hobo Clown posted:

Aerondight is a silver sword so those Hanse bandits probably just shrug it off.

True, it's been awhile and I was probably thinking of my trusty Touissant knight steel sword, my bad. My point on the visual spectacle stands however.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 27, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Draxamus posted:

And if you meet her before he dies, you can then go back to Vesemir and let him know his girl was looking for him. You ask if he might go find her, and he says he might just do that after everything is over.

:gonk:

This game and its feels.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

FunkMonkey posted:

I actually spawned 100 level 1 enemies using the console just to see what would happen and my computer freaked the gently caress out for a sec but then ran it pretty well, and I wasn't expecting the engine to handle that many enemies in any good fashion.

Whirling them is also very fun. They just melt away. They die to Aard for gods sake.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fuzz posted:

:gonk:

This game and its feels.

Part of me wants to make different choices to see different outcomes for my second playthrough, but the other part of me cannot bring myself to make certain bad choices (like sending Keira to Radovid, or letting any of my boys die unnecessarily)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Part of me wants to make different choices to see different outcomes for my second playthrough, but the other part of me cannot bring myself to make certain bad choices (like sending Keira to Radovid, or letting any of my boys die unnecessarily)

Same here, as well as any bad dad decisions.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Draxamus posted:

drat that's great. The broader storyline and world of this game are solid but not great but goddamn do they nail characters and pathos.

Weird they had this recognition of the base game in there but it ignores if you committed to Yen or Triss.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Ainsley McTree posted:

On my "Bad Decision Geralt" playthrough I was planning to side with Djikstra, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Putting that decision after Roche & Ves already helped you out at Kaer Morhen makes it really hard to justify walking away as they get slaughtered. I was also planning to get the Empress Ciri ending, so it didn't make a lot of sense to back the guy planning to continue the war against the Empire.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Hobo Clown posted:

On my "Bad Decision Geralt" playthrough I was planning to side with Djikstra,

I thought you said bad decision Geralt? :colbert:

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Hobo Clown posted:

On my "Bad Decision Geralt" playthrough I was planning to side with Djikstra, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Putting that decision after Roche & Ves already helped you out at Kaer Morhen makes it really hard to justify walking away as they get slaughtered. I was also planning to get the Empress Ciri ending, so it didn't make a lot of sense to back the guy planning to continue the war against the Empire.

Siding with Dijikstra is a good decision. Think of it this way. Depending on the dialogue choices the player makes, Thaler and Roche reveal that they are making a pact/alliance with Group Army Center Camp negotiators, which means a a pact/alliance by Temeria with Nilfgaard and contains an agreement to become a vassal state for Nilfgaard. It contains another set of agreements, the surrender of the sovereign of Lyria and Aedirn. If you look at the map, that's everything south of the Pontar and everything north of the Yaruga. According to the epilogue/monologue by Dandelion, this allows Emhyr to shift his forces to fully conquer and subdue Aedirn and Lyria, after killing Radovid and conquering Redania and Kaedwen. In short, the guerilla war continues on tragically on the remaining resistance of the Northern Realms but with the aid of Temeria to Nilfgaard. It's a complete betrayal.

Geralt bears as witness to this betrayal. Sifting its details.

Some would say why would Geralt choose Dijkstra over Roche, Ves and Thaler? For a very simple reason: Geralt's true friends would be fighting for the Northern Realms and would risk their lives for the northern realms. Yarpen, The remaining Witchers (Nilfgaard bans witchers from entering cities), Neneke and her temple, the late Vesemir (he reveals his side in White Orchard and probably has knowledge about the situation of witchers in the south), Triss, Dandelion, Shani, and friends from Skellige would continue the fight or support against Nilfgaard. Heck, even Yennefer prefers to stay in the north. Second, Roche, Ves, and Thaler are working on their own, because other resistances are actively engaging in some underground or guerilla warfare against Nilfgaard (For example, White Orchard's merchant/sniper). Roche and Ves actually kills Geralt, depending on choices in TW2. In addition, if Geralt sides with Iorveth, Roche personally request Natalis for termination of Geralt.
All the efforts, hardships of the Northern Realms from the books and up to TW3 would be dismantled because of a fickle character named Roche and Co and a reckless and definitely not neutral prompt or action by Geralt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hobo Clown posted:

There is a way you can force your own hand. Spoilers for Roche. If you fail to save Ves during Roche's mission he will be outraged at Geralt and refuse to help you at Kaer Morhen. Makes it easier to justify not siding with him during the finale of the assassination plot. Can't say the same for Thaler though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Siding with Dijikstra is a good decision. Think of it this way. Depending on the dialogue choices the player makes, Thaler and Roche reveal that they are making a pact/alliance with Group Army Center Camp negotiators, which means a a pact/alliance by Temeria with Nilfgaard and contains an agreement to become a vassal state for Nilfgaard. It contains another set of agreements, the surrender of the sovereign of Lyria and Aedirn. If you look at the map, that's everything south of the Pontar and everything north of the Yaruga. According to the epilogue/monologue by Dandelion, this allows Emhyr to shift his forces to fully conquer and subdue Aedirn and Lyria, after killing Radovid and conquering Redania and Kaedwen. In short, the guerilla war continues on tragically on the remaining resistance of the Northern Realms but with the aid of Temeria to Nilfgaard. It's a complete betrayal.

Some would say why would Geralt choose Dijkstra over Roche, Ves and Thaler? For a very simple reason: Geralt's true friends would be fighting for the Northern Realms and would risk their lives for the northern realms. Yarpen, The remaining Witchers (Nilfgaard bans witchers from entering cities), Neneke and her temple, the late Vesemir (he reveals his side in White Orchard and probably has knowledge about the situation of witchers in the south), Triss, Dandelion, Shani, and friends from Skellige would continue the fight or support against Nilfgaard. Heck, even Yennefer prefers to stay in the north. Second, Roche, Ves, and Thaler are working on their own, because other resistances are actively engaging in some underground or guerilla warfare against Nilfgaard (For example, White Orchard's merchant/sniper). Roche and Ves actually kills Geralt, depending on choices in TW2. In addition, if Geralt sides with Iorveth, Roche personally request Natalis for termination of Geralt.
All the efforts, hardships of the Northern Realms from the books and up to TW3 would be dismantled because of a fickle character named Roche and Co and a reckless and definitely not neutral prompt or action by Geralt.

Except if you read the books, Djikstra is a horrible piece of poo poo and the people of the Northern Realms will clearly suffer under him. Roche is a loyal bro that comes to your aid at Kaer Morhen, even at the risk of his own life. He does this even if you didn't side with him in TW2 because he respects and trusts Geralt.

Regardless of outcome, Nilfgaard's leadership changes in some way at the end of the game, and the Empire itself ends up working very differently. There's nothing inherently valuable in any of the Northern Realms retaining their identities, they're just artificial borders invented by men. The people are what matters.

Also: Djikstra is a piece of poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fuzz posted:

And that's why I broke his ankle :3:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Voorhis seemed like a decent enough guy. More economically focused than Emhyr's warmongering, and canonically the successor to Emhyr's reign. Whether this means that Empress Ciri married him or she abdicated is up in the air.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Voorhis seemed like a decent enough guy. More economically focused than Emhyr's warmongering, and canonically the successor to Emhyr's reign. Whether this means that Empress Ciri married him or she abdicated is up in the air.

She marries him if she becomes empress. Voorhis and Emhyr basically confirm that this will happen once Ciri is found in their meetings with Geralt.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I mean Ciri, Shani, Eskel and Vesemir are like the only Geralts friends/companions that are not a piece of poo poo, so Djisktra fits right in.....

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Savy Saracen salad posted:

If the Bloody Baron quest is any indication, a whole bunch of people are going to have a poo poo time regardless of Geralt's choices. The "greater good" is arguable but also unknowable to Geralt at the time of his decisions. That's why Good Decision Geralt does the best he can for the people he's closest to in life, and doesn't let his friends be slaughtered by a maniacal backstabber who totally promises to be a better ruler than the last guy.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean Ciri, Shani, Eskel and Vesemir are like the only Geralts friends/companions that are not a piece of poo poo, so Djisktra fits right in.....

Zoltan would like a word.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Regis. Regis has some poor judgment at times and has his blind spots, but he's an otherwise good person.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Regis, by his own admission, spent god knows how many centuries being so addicted to blood that he couldn't last a day without sucking someone dry and even post change of heart would be completely OK with a super-powered psychopathic man-child massacring a whole city and getting away scot-free, just because he was another high vampire and he owes him.

Zoltan is a former bandit and scoia'tael member and completely unrepentant about both.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 28, 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Going along through this Heart of Stone expansion...

This O'Dimm fellow scares me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lt. Lizard posted:

Regis, by his own admission, spent god knows how many centuries being so addicted to blood that he couldn't last a day without sucking someone dry and even post change of heart would be completely OK with a super-powered psychopathic man-child massacring a whole city and getting away scot-free, just because he was another high vampire and he owes him.

Zoltan is a former bandit and scoia'tael member and completely unrepentant about both.

When was Zoltan ever a Squirrel?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

chaosapiant posted:

When was Zoltan ever a Squirrel?

Definitely in Witcher 2. He takes you to meet Iorveth and he knows the passwords. He’s not active in fighting for them, but he’s sympathetic and supports them.
That’s why he’s accused of collusion and is on the scaffold in Flotsam when Geralt arrives.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Helith posted:

Definitely in Witcher 2. He takes you to meet Iorveth and he knows the passwords. He’s not active in fighting for them, but he’s sympathetic and supports them.
That’s why he’s accused of collusion and is on the scaffold in Flotsam when Geralt arrives.

In W2 he was never a squirrel. They approached him about joining and he refused; they gave him a password in case he changed his mind. He’s sympathetic to non-humans, not squirrels. In W1 he outright is contemptuous of them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

If the Bloody Baron quest is any indication, a whole bunch of people are going to have a poo poo time regardless of Geralt's choices. The "greater good" is arguable but also unknowable to Geralt at the time of his decisions. That's why Good Decision Geralt does the best he can for the people he's closest to in life, and doesn't let his friends be slaughtered by a maniacal backstabber who totally promises to be a better ruler than the last guy.

That's what drove Djikstra quest for me, yeah. I could see the point he was making and frankly I kind of agreed with it, but...Roche and Ves had my back when I needed them and I feel like in the gross world of the Witcher, that's way more important than whatever the hell the greater good might turn out to be (probably bad for witchers, like most things)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Witchers cannot, and will not be saved. Ever.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Parallelwoody posted:

Zoltan would like a word.

As would Trololo. :colbert:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I wanted the Empire to fail because it would help keep Ciri free from Emhyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Futuresight posted:

I wanted the Empire to fail because it would help keep Ciri free from Emhyr.

Just be a good dad and stop thinking that working more will better for her future than actually being there for her.

AND THE CAT'S IN THE CRADLE AND THE SILVER SPOON, LITTLE BOY BLUE AND THE MAN IN THE MOON...