Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Best case scenario is that they move on and leave events post-season 2 ambiguous.

Didn't they already confirm Clem will be in season 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

monster on a stick posted:

vvvvv - Yet :colbert: [spoiler]Clem sacrifices AJ and one of her eyes to the Elder Gods in exchange for wisdom and increased resistance to zombie bites +3.

Wait I thought Kenny was already the Odin analogue.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

Yeah, but then why make his motivations tied to a choice if you weren't going to make that choice actually affect his motivations?

I know I'm being annoyingly meta about The Stranger when I say this but his entire purpose beyond kidnapping Clementine wasn't a really narrative one but a way to simply get the player to ask themselves "why." He is always going to hate you for whatever happened and nothing will ever change that. But even so that whole section forms a very important element of the first game, forcing the player to stop, think, and reflect on what they did and why they did it. The point is to not convince The Stranger of anything but to justify it to yourself. Though I do admit that the conversation becomes much more interesting if you made more of the morally grey choices like taking the food.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I generally tried to make the good choices in the game, but I did put a pitchfork into Cannibal Dude because gently caress if I was going to risk him getting up and killing one of my group.

Stranger: You stabbed a man with a pitchfork in front of a little girl!

Lee: That was complicated!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

general chaos posted:

Dude was talking to a head in a purse and had stalked you for months. If he had known you were one of the few that refused to take the supplies, it wouldn't have mattered. He was too far gone.
A major part of The Stranger's personality was that he refused to accept the blame for what he did too and its really apparent in a good Lee playthrough, because he's pulling at straws desperately trying to make Lee the scapegoat he wants him to be so he can justify it to himself that it wasn't his fault that his family died.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Accordion Man posted:

A major part of The Stranger's personality was that he refused to accept the blame for what he did too and its really apparent in a good Lee playthrough, because he's pulling at straws desperately trying to make Lee the scapegoat he wants him to be so he can justify it to himself that it wasn't his fault that his family died.
Yeah, that's really good writing, I think it works out great no matter how you play. If Lee was a saint, the Stranger is just a guy who's completely crazy. If Lee did questionable things, then the Stranger makes you really think about them for a little bit before you put him down because he's still obviously crazy and is endangering Clem.

The Walking Dead was a pretty bold idea for Telltale, I ignored it when it first came out because I didn't think there was any way it could be good with the odd looking style and fact that it was a licensed property. It does feel like the second season is riding its success a lot by going with some major established characters, and season three STILL continuing Clem's story makes me start to wonder how much longer they can keep it up.

What would be really bold would be to wrap up Clem's story in some way, then start completely fresh with new characters somewhere else in the Walking Dead setting, maybe even really far along in the future, but you can't really blame them for sticking with what's turned out to be a gold mine. Hell I'm gonna preorder it as soon as I can.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dolash posted:

Her character arc is one of the unfortunate casualties of what looks like a hurriedly rewritten ending, same as Jane awkwardly replacing Luke in a role clearly written for him.

I guess there's still a little bit of character development there, since they try to make it about Jane and her guilt for abandoning her sister, so the question is whether Clementine'd do the same thing or whether she can have a positive influence on Jane to get her not to give up, but that would've been a lot more effective if Jane could've actually saved Sarah by trying.

An alternate version of the ending where Jane can die in order to save Sarah at the deck but if she doesn't then she ditches the group for real and Luke actually acts as Kenny's opposite for the ending might've made a lot more sense.

What I'll never be able to understand is why didn't any of this happen? It feels natural and logical to everything that came before, why shoehorn Jane into the end over Luke? It would have made sense to have a scene with Sarah wanting to live, causing Jane to try and save her.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
My only guess is the player choice data led Telltale to believe that players would pick Kenny over Luke by a landslide. Replace Luke with a more popular character and insert a few more out-of-character actions by Kenny and you end up with a nice argument causing split as sides war over who the right choice was.

So by sitting with and hugging Kenny back in chapter 2, you damned him to his fate.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

general chaos posted:

My only guess is the player choice data led Telltale to believe that players would pick Kenny over Luke by a landslide. Replace Luke with a more popular character and insert a few more out-of-character actions by Kenny and you end up with a nice argument causing split as sides war over who the right choice was.

So by sitting with and hugging Kenny back in chapter 2, you damned him to his fate.

I still think a bunch of adults acting like high schoolers in the lunch room because a 12 year old decided to sit with one person over another is really hilarious.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to stick with the series. I mean it can still make me feel poo poo. It hurt when Sarah died, it hurt when Luke died, even if none of the others gave a flying gently caress. I like the series, a lot better than I do the comic or the show, I just wish the story didn't have such obvious last minute rewrites.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I still think a bunch of adults acting like high schoolers in the lunch room because a 12 year old decided to sit with one person over another is really hilarious.

I always thought that scene was stupid - people get butthurt if you choose to sit with a person that you haven't seen in a year and a half, and it's all artificial anyway because nobody thinks to just turn the tables to make it long so everyone is sitting at the same loving table and nevermind

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I really liked Luke's death scene because I fired a gun into the ice a single time and then went 'That was a really dumb, dangerous decision' and then just eyed Luke until he drowned.

Then pretty much no one ever brought it up again.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Roman Reigns posted:

Didn't they already confirm Clem will be in season 3?
Someone from Telltale did mention it would follow Clem shortly after Season 2 ended, but then that statement got walked back pretty quickly and they said they were still in the preliminary phases of the game.

I think they should let Clementine's story end with Season 2. We've all made are choices which basically say what type of person we want her to be going forward. It'd feel incredibly cheap to just bring all the paths back together in the first five minutes of Season 3 to start a new adventure with a whole new cast of characters (because you can guarantee that neither Kenny or Jane would be along for the ride).

I've mentioned it before, and I'm surprised I don't see it brought up more often, but I'd like to see the Krista be the main character of Season 3. They basically dropped her from the plot completely after Episode 1, which means they could tell whatever kind of story they wanted to without starting from scratch with an entirely new cast of characters. I enjoyed her character enough in Season 1 that I was really looking forward to travelling with her and Omid for awhile. That didn't quite work out, but there's still a mostly unexplored character there.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I read a recent article that said they were going at things "from a different angle" or something, so I'm assuming no Clementine. They can't rely on her forever at any rate.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'd like to see an entirely new story, completely disassociated from Clem et al. MAYBE have Clem show up in one episode with the baby and be like, "lol no," and keep on cruising without joining the new group. Another survivor who starts from the very beginning like Lee would be cool, since that's really the most interesting part of any zombie story.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That was a big reason why I thought 400 Days was so cool. So a rehabbing junkie, a college student, an inmate, and Tommy Chong walk into a bar zombie apocalypse...

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DeathChicken posted:

That was a big reason why I thought 400 Days was so cool. So a rehabbing junkie, a college student, an inmate, and Tommy Chong walk into a bar zombie apocalypse...

Don't forget about the anti-Jane and her little brat sister.

IT'S NOT A COMPLETE JOKE WITHOUT ALL THE CHARACTERS.

Bullshit aside, 400 Days was good for what it was, just a short little DLC chapter meant to try and bridge the gap between S1 & S2. It's just sad that it turned out to only be a bridge to cameoville..maybe.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
It was dumb that they decided to essentially do nothing with it. Pretty much every 400 days character was better than anyone new introduced in season 2.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm sad Nate didn't show up again. That guy was pretty much Trevor from GTA5 set loose in Zombieville.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

I'm sad Nate didn't show up again. That guy was pretty much Trevor from GTA5 set loose in Zombieville.

Protagonist of season 3 confirmed.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah I was so sure he would too because why else was he in 2 stories and built up so heavily in general? I felt like they were taking him somewhere

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Just finished season 2 and I'm sort of unhappy with my ending, but it also pretty much reflects the choices I made. I shot Kenny because Jane and everyone convinced me he was unhinged and dangerous, but when it turned out Jane had put the baby in danger to make Kenny look bad I didn't have the guts to tell her to get lost (though I didn't forgive her, I stayed silent.) My Clementine played it safe and always tried to please everyone, only taking sides when forced to, so she got the most boring, uncertain ending.

I read online that the next season won't be about Clementine because the games have caught up to the comics and aren't allowed to push the timeline further, which is stupid. I really want to continue Clementine's story, especially since I know things won't end well with Jane. Oh well. In hindsight, I should have told Jane to get lost. That would feel the most "right" to me.

I also kind of figured season 3 wouldn't follow Clementine, so I was much more tense than usual in this episode. I thought there might be an ending where Clem actually dies, so I didn't help Luke cross the ice, then felt guilty and smashed through it trying to save him after he fell in. Things are much harder when you don't think about plot armor.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Protagonist of season 3 confirmed.
This is the one scenario where I'm glad we'll have a sequel.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

Just finished season 2 and I'm sort of unhappy with my ending, but it also pretty much reflects the choices I made. I shot Kenny because Jane and everyone convinced me he was unhinged and dangerous, but when it turned out Jane had put the baby in danger to make Kenny look bad I didn't have the guts to tell her to get lost (though I didn't forgive her, I stayed silent.) My Clementine played it safe and always tried to please everyone, only taking sides when forced to, so she got the most boring, uncertain ending.

I read online that the next season won't be about Clementine because the games have caught up to the comics and aren't allowed to push the timeline further, which is stupid. I really want to continue Clementine's story, especially since I know things won't end well with Jane. Oh well. In hindsight, I should have told Jane to get lost. That would feel the most "right" to me.

I also kind of figured season 3 wouldn't follow Clementine, so I was much more tense than usual in this episode. I thought there might be an ending where Clem actually dies, so I didn't help Luke cross the ice, then felt guilty and smashed through it trying to save him after he fell in. Things are much harder when you don't think about plot armor.

I imagine the real problem with continuing with Clementine is that season 2 can end with 1 of 3 fairly different endings that all seem fairly important taken individually. You'd basically have to invalidate a pretty important part of the second game to build a third part of of the second.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

I imagine the real problem with continuing with Clementine is that season 2 can end with 1 of 3 fairly different endings that all seem fairly important taken individually. You'd basically have to invalidate a pretty important part of the second game to build a third part of of the second.

You could do a big time jump and then have brief flashbacks every once in a while to give some context to how your choices affected things, but yeah, they definitely wrote the endings with the intention of leaving Clementine's story behind. Probably for the best, but I'm sad about it :(

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I'm pretty sure the comics are still ahead of the games, like, by a few years. Isn't the comics timeline like technically 3-4 years in? Whereas the games are like, barely into year 2. Its like the end counter is something like day 800 whereas in the comics they're at like day 1300 or something.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The comics actually did a pretty big time jump recently. They're pretty far into it now.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I haven't read the comics, I just read a bunch of people say that thing about the timeline. Maybe they were wrong or it was before the time jump?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Bass Bottles posted:

I haven't read the comics, I just read a bunch of people say that thing about the timeline. Maybe they were wrong or it was before the time jump?

The jump was fairly recent, happened back in May I think, and the second season of this wasn't done until August.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Kibayasu posted:

Really, 5 different endings, but two of them are materially the same (/w Jane, let family in or turn them away). Kenny's ending has a significant split (/w him, or separated and in wellington), and the last has Clem and AJ going off to die together.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the only way I can see them making ANY ending work, would be to do a sort of flashback as with the beginning of Season 2. A short, 10-15 minute bit of gameplay, showing Clem with either Jane, Kenny, or Wellington, and then showing how things went to poo poo (and Kenny and Jane get separated/pull a Christa), and she had to go out on her own, and then jump a month or so into the present where she winds up in the same place. If she was alone at the end of Episode 5, then just a short little intro of her surviving with AJ. This could tie them all into the same place...even if it would be shoehorned as gently caress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Personally I don't want Clem again because, while the baby made a good dramatic prop for the latter half of Season 2, I don't want an entire season where everyone's going 'but what about the baby???"

Killing AJ off would basically make season 2 feel completely pointless, and a huge timeskip would basically just feel like a new cast/setting anyway.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
if they go with clem for s3 (no doubt cuz everyone loves clem), i hope they just pick a canon ending, either clem/aj + jane + family or clem/aj + wellington (-kenny) because it would be so stupid if they try to line up all the different endings. sure, it might go against the "YOUR DECISIONS MATTER" theme but i think it's pretty clear to most players that our decisions don't really matter for plot, just story.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

dongsbot 9000 posted:

if they go with clem for s3 (no doubt cuz everyone loves clem), i hope they just pick a canon ending, either clem/aj + jane + family or clem/aj + wellington (-kenny) because it would be so stupid if they try to line up all the different endings. sure, it might go against the "YOUR DECISIONS MATTER" theme but i think it's pretty clear to most players that our decisions don't really matter for plot, just story.

I think BMS is right that the canon ending would have to be Clem on her own, with a short segment showing how the other potential endings resulted in her leaving wherever she ended up if you chose the other endings.

Having Clem take care of AJ all season might get annoying, but it would also fit with her character arc the nicest. She goes from being dependent in season one, to struggling with agency and dependence in season two, and finally having someone dependent on her in season three.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bass Bottles posted:

I think BMS is right that the canon ending would have to be Clem on her own, with a short segment showing how the other potential endings resulted in her leaving wherever she ended up if you chose the other endings.

Having Clem take care of AJ all season might get annoying, but it would also fit with her character arc the nicest. She goes from being dependent in season one, to struggling with agency and dependence in season two, and finally having someone dependent on her in season three.

Yeah, I mean unless they just completely blow off some of the choices that people make, (Which on decisions like this, the really haven't ever just blown it off, even if they've had them wind up in the same place they still use that choice as a way to get there), I can't really see any other way to do it. Aside from having a different protagonist.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

BMS posted:

Yeah, I mean unless they just completely blow off some of the choices that people make, (Which on decisions like this, the really haven't ever just blown it off, even if they've had them wind up in the same place they still use that choice as a way to get there), I can't really see any other way to do it. Aside from having a different protagonist.

The game takes place moments after the end of season 2, and AJ is the protagonist.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

With Season 2, we pushed the borders of what could be done in a zombie game by shifting the perspective over to a child. Now, with TellTale's The Walking Dead Season 3, we go further. Now you will experience the zombie apocalypse through the eyes of a literal newborn!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
They could just do what they did at the start of this season and have everyone but Clem get killed off and she falls into another river.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Gotta be honest, clem with the baby would guarentee me not playing. I can't muster the poo poo to give about Plot Device Baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

They could just do what they did at the start of this season and have everyone but Clem get killed off and she falls into another river.
that river might as well have been the portal to the mushroom kingdom, it ruled

• Locked thread