Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darth Windu posted:

I was so angry after they only added one minute of stoppage time that I broke my hand punching the wall, screamed so loud my cats ran under the couch, and had to breathe into my asthma inhaler for a full minute.

I'm still angry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cadfael posted:

He needed Jozy alongside him

same

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

Is Belgium's strategy just to wait until the 70th minute and then start actually giving a poo poo?

belgium are garbage, they got a poo poo group and scraped out of it, they'll get bummed heavily by argentina

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Cityinthesea posted:

Is Belgium's strategy just to wait until the 70th minute and then start actually giving a poo poo?

See Greece in Eurocup 2004

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

cadfael posted:

Id look off my game trying to work through the Belge defense where he was playing, they have some good lads playing. He needed Jozy alongside him

He seemed to play better when they put on Wondo so he could move back to his regular position, too bad that Wondo wondoed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mike Tirico sounds like a moron trying to emulate Chris Berman in this post-match analysis.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

big rom is a beautiful man and i'd like to point out that i, r. mute, never stopped believing in him. if tim howard wasn't on the pitch, he would've been my motm

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

stickyfngrdboy posted:

the mighty leeds united, who currently play in the skybet championship (2nd tier england). we were good, in the 60s and 70s, then in the early 90s, then in the early 2000s, and we've been pretty poo poo since. this means i hate pretty much every single team in the world apart from my own, and they all hate us, too.

My longest game in football manager was a 200 hour game with Leeds in FM12, does that make us friends

edit: I did okay but am not very good at games

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ginette Reno posted:

Beasley played his fuckin rear end off. Defensively he was an utter beast.

He was, and I've hated on him for 3 world cups before this. Well maybe he missed 1. Totally redeemed himself.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Mukaikubo posted:

My longest game in football manager was a 200 hour game with Leeds in FM12, does that make us friends

I saw a movie about them, but I don't know that it was complimetary.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Leeds have a really cool anthem so I have a soft spot for them

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

stickyfngrdboy posted:

the mighty leeds united, who currently play in the skybet championship (2nd tier england). we were good, in the 60s and 70s, then in the early 90s, then in the early 2000s, and we've been pretty poo poo since. this means i hate pretty much every single team in the world apart from my own, and they all hate us, too.

stay strong. my university (american) football team has played at a lower division than the larger schools right up until this fall, so i can understand your pain and anger.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Seriously though RIP US men's team, go Puerto Rica, I'll see the rest of you US fans in four years.

Smokey
Feb 8, 2008
i'm going back to Lets Play

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

R. Mute posted:

WE WON MOTHERFUCKERS

Congratulations belge. Very talented side, and I thought the ref was a non-factor, although I missed the first 30.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

edit: I did okay but am not very good at games

im everyones friend, friend.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

we do, thank u

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Darth Windu posted:

Seriously though RIP US men's team, go Puerto Rica, I'll see the rest of you US fans in four years.

Costa Rica. Puerto Rico is the U.S.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Extra times been bullshit this tournament but its basically irrelevant except for the portugal game.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

Congratulations belge. Very talented side, and I thought the ref was a non-factor, although I missed the first 30.
very clean match, really. i thought it was cute when lil' kev de bruyne got all worried about jones after kicking the ball in his face.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Congratulations, Waffloons. Your lads are good. They could win it.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
It sure will be fun when we Americans stop sending our most athletic kids out to be concussed to death on a football field and start steering them toward soccer

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

it's #4 right?

cheato
Sep 10, 2005

Oh, well of course, everything looks bad if you remember it.

Enigma89 posted:

Watch this forever

I love how #1 for Belgium (2nd from the left in the wall) continues holding his balls well after it breaks down. There were another few passes/crosses in that I still can't figure out how no one got a decent touch on them towards goal. Dempsey definitely should have taken a shot for his first touch instead of knocking it towards the keeper.

Apparently the assistant was waving Wondo offsides during his near-goal at the end of regulation? Would've been quite interesting had he gotten a better touch on it.

Fantastic goal by Julian Green. He's going to have a significant long-term impact, and I'm incredibly glad that he made the switch to the USMNT.

Really tough-fought match by the US. Agreed about the last 30 minutes--utterly agonizing but beyond exciting. Encompasses everything that makes futbol the greatest.

Now who to pull for?! Fellow CONCACAF member or "look how far we've come in 20 years"? (RIP Andres Escobar -- 20 year anniversary on July 2nd :( )

EDIT: oops, math

cheato fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 2, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
1994 was not 30 years ago

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I'm proud of our Patriot Warriors.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj2WQOV_NI4

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Just got back from watching this on big screen, amazing game. Absolutely amazing performance and a nice gently caress you to everybody who thinks Belgium is boring and/or bad. We should improve our finishing of course, but we were just plain unlucky and Howard was incredible.

Proud to be Belgian, which is a very un-Belgian feeling. Even if we lose against Argentina I'll be happy with our tournament run, but I think we can certainly beat them. I'm extremely happy for Lukaku, this is the kind of match he needs to show why he's such an amazing footballer. Kudos to Wilmots for again good substitutions (although I think Mirallas was probably our worst player), keeping Lukaku fit and happy and the general tactics.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Lukaku just killed us man, I was very sad about that.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Fire Bradley out of a loving cannon

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Next World Cup well force FIFA to let us play with our drones and we'll win the World Cup forever.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

(although I think Mirallas was probably our worst player)
i thought he did pretty well? he did some amazing runs, like that one where he just powered through the entire us defence

i thought the chadli sub made sense - he's a runner and he could close down one of those flanks... but then he stays up front while our goal's under siege? really weird, that.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Walh Hara posted:

Just got back from watching this on big screen, amazing game. Absolutely amazing performance and a nice gently caress you to everybody who thinks Belgium is boring and/or bad. We should improve our finishing of course, but we were just plain unlucky and Howard was incredible.

Proud to be Belgian, which is a very un-Belgian feeling. Even if we lose against Argentina I'll be happy with our tournament run, but I think we can certainly beat them. I'm extremely happy for Lukaku, this is the kind of match he needs to show why he's such an amazing footballer. Kudos to Wilmots for again good substitutions (although I think Mirallas was probably our worst player), keeping Lukaku fit and happy and the general tactics.

Look, Belgium was the better team by a mile, but to call the lack of timely goals unlucky is a bit silly. Those guys shot terribly, many many times. Howard made a lot of saves, but most of those were right at him. Hopefully you guys can get that poo poo straightened out better than Argentina (who also had enormous finishing issues)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Sharrow posted:

it's #4 right?

hahah yeah it is! people sing this at games which leeds are not only not involved in, they're in a different league!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

blue footed boobie posted:

Next World Cup well force FIFA to let us play with our drones and we'll win the World Cup forever.

Idk about that, but I think I'd let the final 8 all have a monitored blood spin this week. They've earned it, imo, and it would Pep up the remaining rounds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tell you what all four quarterfinal matches look tasty as hell, the only thing left is for Brazil to lose, which they will.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

blue footed boobie posted:

Until the Japanese and their giant robots catch up.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

El Hefe posted:

A Colombia - Costa Rica final would be amazing

This is what every Latino is hoping for. Pleeeeease, for Dios sake!

Costa Rica needs to win this loving cup.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

tell you what all four quarterfinal matches look tasty as hell, the only thing left is for Brazil to lose, which they will.
i think the winner of this world cup will be football

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
it would be ace if a top nation didnt win it, if one of the underdogs could do it that would be reet proper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Fag Boy Jim posted:

hopefully on a james rodriguez hat trick op

• Locked thread