Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Hello and welcome to this Match Day Thread! Today we have the last two matches in the round of 16.

The first game is Argentina vs Switzerland

Both teams have great forwards and horrible defenders so you'd hope for a lot of goals. Can Messi keep scoring? Can Shaqiri and his friends cause an upset? Argentina were very unconving in the group stage, but they won all their matches anyway despite having more problem than expected. They're still the favourites.

The second game is Belgium vs the United States of America
vs
Both teams are ridiculously overconfident that they'll win. Will it be the collection of amazing players from Belgium that have not lost an important match in the last 2 years, scoring 22 goals and only conceding 5 goals in those 13 matches? Or will it be the team from the USA that already got further than anyone expected and which scored 19 times and conceded 12 times in their last 13 important matches? Nobody knows (yet)!

Argentina Belgium were very unconving in the group stage, but they won all their matches anyway despite having more problem than expected. They're still the favourites.

Let's hope not all Belgium's matches are boring and that jozy plays and that everybody has a whale of a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hmm stella or bud.

Stella...or bud.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
It's time for Jozy to shine fall down a lot

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Jozy will score a hat trick

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

http://youtu.be/MxVdU2eVYSg

Me irl

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

I'm ready op

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Pissflaps posted:

Hmm stella or bud.

Stella...or bud.

stella is better than bud imo

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hate to say it but there are lots of good american beers these days. There are some lovely IPAs, Goose Island, 312, Brooklyn Lager ain't bad plus there's a myriad of small brewhouses putting out an interesting range of often quite strong beer.

Also Belgium has more to offer than Stella, get on TrappistTech

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

stella is better than bud imo

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

JFairfax posted:

Also Belgium has more to offer than Stella, get on TrappistTech

Delirium Tremens is also pretty good

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

don't do this

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Hmm stella or bud.

Stella...or bud.

Owned by the same company so either way someone's getting money and it's not you.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

jozy [...] whale

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

please dont post my medical results in the matchday thread

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.
Whatever happens today, I think we all win.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bud is crappy Belgian-owned beer(*). Drink real American beer, like Sam Adams.

*InBev bought out Anheuser-Busch, InBev is Belgian company, therefore Bud is now Belgian.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
USA found their level everything from here is just a bonus. That being said, i think we can at least give belgium a good game and possibly win

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.

fat greasy puto posted:

USA found their level everything from here is just a bonus. That being said, i think we can at least give belgium a good game and possibly win

Getting out of that group should have been really impressive, but jesus christ Portugal were bad.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I want Argentina to lose so bad, it hurts.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

oilcheck my rear end posted:

Getting out of that group should have been really impressive, but jesus christ Portugal were bad.

Think how much better you will be now Jozy is back in the squad!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Final :siren:refchat:siren: of the Round of 16

Argentina x Switzerland
Ref: Jonas ERIKSSON (SWE)
AR1: Mathias KLASENIUS (SWE)
AR2: Daniel WAERNMARK (SWE)
4th: Svein MOEN (NOR)
RAR: Kim HAGLUND (NOR)

If internet rumors are to be believed, and I so desperately want to believe them, Irmatov of UZB was originally pencilled in for this but Argentina told FIFA they could f/r/o with that assignment. So instead they get the Swede. Eriksson is a TRP favorite in that everyone here pretty much hates him and his officiating style. On the other hand, UEFA/FIFA love him. I've heard him likened to an airplane pilot: it's not always a smooth ride, but he always lands the plane. Especially with the "no cards" directive that must have been handed out after seeing so many tactical fouls go unpunished, he fits right in. So far this Cup he has been on Ghana x USA and Cameroon x Brazil. I expect he will get another match, although it might only be as a fourth official.

Belgium x USA
Ref: Djamel HAIMOUDI (ALG)
AR1: Redouane ACHIK (MAR)
AR2: Abdelhak ETCHIALI (ALG)
4th: Norbert HAUATA (TAH)
RAR: Marwa RANGE (KEN)

The Algerian has been on Australia x Netherlands and Costa Rica x England. For those playing at home, that means he gave a questionable-at-best penalty in his first match and his second was basically a dead rubber. Overall, he was alright in those two matches so, on the one hand, we could have Irmatov again, but on the other this match will be a lot more intense than his first two. I don't know much about his credentials (he had the CAF Champions League final in 2012 and the African Cup of Nations final in 2013 but that doesn't much to me because I don't know the quality of play), but I think he'll be fine. The USA manager is in the press trying to play SAF and game the referee, I'm gonna hope that doesn't backfire.

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.

smelly cabin filter posted:

Think how much better you will be now Jozy is back in the squad!

He's going to eat Hazard and do a slick turn and burn on kompany for his 69th goal idiot race just you watch

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

oilcheck my rear end posted:

And Ghana were somehow worse, although I think the loss to us had a lot to do with that

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.

fat greasy puto posted:

And Ghana were somehow worse, although I think the loss to us had a lot to do with that

Ghana looked great against Germany, but looking back I wonder what the temperature was like in that game.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I am very excited for the game today. Both games really but especially the big USAMNT game where we will have our breakout performance and prove to the world how good we are.

I love the USAMNT. It's my favorite sports team in the world.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Juanito posted:

I want Argentina to lose so bad, it hurts.

Same, but I also don't want Switzerland to win. Guess I'll root for good and entertaining football.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
i dont care about the results as long as i get to watch some good football, imo

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

chaoslord posted:

Ref: Jonas ERIKSSON (SWE)

:sweden:

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

too bad for you

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

fat greasy puto posted:

too bad for you

This world cup hasn't let me down yet and it will not.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Same, except I do kind of want Argentina to go out in abject humiliation so maybe I do care a little.

It's funny how we stay loyal to beers that we know intellectually are maybe not that great. I would drink all the 1664 in the fridge right now, if I had any.

Happy Canada Day, everybody.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Smirr posted:

Same, but I also don't want Switzerland to win. Guess I'll root for good and entertaining football.

The swiss have at least been watchable this year, and I say this as someone supporting switzerland.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

fat greasy puto posted:

too bad for you
Those of us still trying to forget Italia 1990 would disagree.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
That simulating piece of sh*t Jozy better not dive today, or I will f*cking flip out. I don't care if I get reported.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i believe in jozy

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

chaoslord posted:

The USA manager is in the press trying to play SAF and game the referee, I'm gonna hope that doesn't backfire.

I wonder how insulated FIFA try to keep these guys. Are they actually hearing these press conferences or are they kept sequestered in their hotels until the match starts?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Belgium - US 4-1

Pissflaps posted:

Hmm stella or bud.

Stella...or bud.
Both Belgian beers.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

USA USA USA