Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The #1 thing I never understood about XML is why the XML tooling languages tend to have XML syntax. XML has some advantages, but surely as gently caress not that it is nice to write by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i feel like stacktraces with lots of nested exceptions should have "it menaces with spikes of onyx" somewhere

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Athas posted:

The #1 thing I never understood about XML is why the XML tooling languages tend to have XML syntax. XML has some advantages, but surely as gently caress not that it is nice to write by hand.

the w3c was entirely insane at that point, there is no use looking for any sense about any of it

the w3c really did far more damage to the web (and the industry) than internet explorer really could, it was like a 10 year detour into semantic web and rigid declarative junk which far too many people listened to

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
that's why I like relaxng compact schemata

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
My first task at my first "real" job was making XSL-FO documents with some XSLT so that contracts could be automatically generated with the numbers filled in. It was a terrible broken system, maybe just from the implementation being bad.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Hey... I wrote some vb6 and xslt today. Xslt might be the worst God damned poo poo I've ever worked with.

i used to do the same. apparently 6 years later ceo noticed his face is set as the icon for when it's listed in alt-tab

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
We're building a content management system and we talked to a bunch of consultants and found some good ones and they told us to use XML and XSLT. They gave us a giant mass of XSLT which I have not put into production yet.

XSLT and XPath are exceedingly painful for relatively simple tasks, like finding an element with a class name.

I do like the idea that it's more pure functional, but god is it annoying to write.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
two documents were crossing the street

one was xslted

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tef posted:

i used to do the same. apparently 6 years later ceo noticed his face is set as the icon for when it's listed in alt-tab

amazing. we have so many god damned modal dialogs and whatever that I'm sure you could switch the icon on one and it'd take 4 releases to be noticed.

Suspicious Dish posted:

We're building a content management system and we talked to a bunch of consultants and found some good ones and they told us to use XML and XSLT. They gave us a giant mass of XSLT which I have not put into production yet.

XSLT and XPath are exceedingly painful for relatively simple tasks, like finding an element with a class name.

I do like the idea that it's more pure functional, but god is it annoying to write.

Any XSLT I've seen that does anything remotely useful is a morass of foreach loops because nobody ever structures their XML elements in a way where apply-templates works cleanly without either missing elements or double-transforming them. I think I would like XSLT/XPath quite a bit if there was anything at all to enforce non-stupid structures on the XML people design, but it's worthless in the real world.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
To be honest, I think it's the best written XSLT I've ever seen, even if I don't understand it. It's not secret sauce at all, so, here's the thing they gave us. Since XSLT 1.0 doesn't support import / include statements as far as we're aware, they copy/pasted the imports inline and commented those out.

https://gist.github.com/magcius/51ea3f511f5dfbe65e77

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
xml / xslt / xml-anything would be a lot nicer if the freely available tooling were better. i don't understand how its been around forever and yet the tools still suck. or maybe i'm too stupid to find them???

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Suspicious Dish posted:

For my needs the best thing to do was to write the algorithm purely functionally in a functional language (I used Emacs Lisp, some Lisp/Scheme seems like a good idea since you can simulate XML elements with s-exprs) and then hand-translate that to XSLT when you're done the debugging.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Suspicious Dish posted:

We're building a content management system
over/under on suicide date?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm a happy person, but not if S3 keeps giving me EPIPE errors like 1/5th of the time I try to upload anything, without knowing why!

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

i once edited xslt trying to get wayland's rather interesting documentation generation system to not swallow whitespace in code examples or some poo poo like that. it was not a good time. i don't remember any details but the fact that there's xslt involved and it's not for converting to html really tells you all you need to know about it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm a happy person, but not if S3 keeps giving me EPIPE errors like 1/5th of the time I try to upload anything, without knowing why!

good to know it's not just me (or at least a thing exclusive to the São Paulo region), I'm pretty sure it's even the same proportion

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

what a strange recommendation, when i've found JSS to work just as well without adding a dependency

jss works fine but json.net is faster and more fully featured and is included in every aspnet framework.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think the issue actually happens because something in the pipeline is defaulting to us-west-1 which is the default region iirc??? But lord knows what and debugging AWS is next to impossible.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Athas posted:

its way better than writing json by hand, and xml can have schemas that can assist you in writing the xml and/or tell the tool how to write the xml for you.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Barnyard Protein posted:

xml / xslt / xml-anything would be a lot nicer if the freely available tooling were better. i don't understand how its been around forever and yet the tools still suck. or maybe i'm too stupid to find them???

both vs and eclipse handle xml fine so maybe u aren't using them right?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Shaggar posted:

jss works fine but json.net is faster and more fully featured and is included in every aspnet framework.

i end up using https://github.com/kevin-montrose/Jil any time i need speed

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Barnyard Protein posted:

i'm sure xsl fo makes sense for someone otherwise it wouldn't exist, right? i came across it while evaluating docbook and i couldn't make any fuckin sense of it.

the key thing to understand about xsl-fo is that it's an output format. the goal was to make a thing somewhere between pdf and ebook formats like .epub, so that you could have the layout powers of printed pages while still being able to reflow and fit to monitors and stuff. unfortunately 1.0 actually just kinda combined all the complexity of pdf with all of the layout headaches and inconsistencies of html, and then the css guys successfully killed it before it managed to evolve into something useful.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Suspicious Dish posted:

To be honest, I think it's the best written XSLT I've ever seen, even if I don't understand it. It's not secret sauce at all, so, here's the thing they gave us. Since XSLT 1.0 doesn't support import / include statements as far as we're aware, they copy/pasted the imports inline and commented those out.

https://gist.github.com/magcius/51ea3f511f5dfbe65e77

that's beautiful. actual proper use of apply-template. that's about as good as working with xslt can be.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the w3c was entirely insane at that point, there is no use looking for any sense about any of it

the w3c really did far more damage to the web (and the industry) than internet explorer really could, it was like a 10 year detour into semantic web and rigid declarative junk which far too many people listened to

imagine what the web would be like today if the w3c had never tried to develop new things from scratch and just standarded the useful parts of what browser vendors made. basically the only thing we'd be missing that people actually use would be post-1.0 css, and i bet without the w3c in the way it wouldn't have taken 15 years to add usable layout functionality to css

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

reminder about the w3c
http://www.w3.org/People/Bos/CSS-variables

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

quote:

delegation (i.e., define an element's style by reference to another element)
isnt that like half of css already? there's the inherit property which defines the element's style in reference to its parent, and then there's stuff like absolute positioning, which defines the position at a specific point in the document, unless there's at least once ancestor element that isn't static positioning, in which case the position becomes absolute relative to that ancestor, etc.

css is terrible

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Barnyard Protein posted:

i'm sure xsl fo makes sense for someone otherwise it wouldn't exist, right? i came across it while evaluating docbook and i couldn't make any fuckin sense of it.
it does what it's supposed to do, which is describe document layouts in a declarative and portable manner. when i interacted with it, it was an improvement over the system of postscript and raw printer-code templates that it replaced. but since there's no modularity we still had some whopping huge layout files to maintain

e: if someone wants to contradict me on the modularity thing please be gentle, i'm still traumatized by the experience

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 30, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
XSLT 2.0 supports more modularity features, but only commercial Java libraries support XSLT 2.0

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i think i just misunderstood its purpose. i came across it while evaluating the docbook schema as a way to write technical documents. i got so far as processing the xml with the docbook xslt and getting html, but i kept seeing stuff about fo's, and didn't know what they were all about. i thought they were analogous to css or something

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 30, 2015

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think the issue actually happens because something in the pipeline is defaulting to us-west-1 which is the default region iirc??? But lord knows what and debugging AWS is next to impossible.

it's probably anything using boto 2 b/c it's got horrible support for aws regions

tef fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 30, 2015

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

amazing. we have so many god damned modal dialogs and whatever that I'm sure you could switch the icon on one and it'd take 4 releases to be noticed.

Any XSLT I've seen that does anything remotely useful is a morass of foreach loops because nobody ever structures their XML elements in a way where apply-templates works cleanly without either missing elements or double-transforming them. I think I would like XSLT/XPath quite a bit if there was anything at all to enforce non-stupid structures on the XML people design, but it's worthless in the real world.

i liked xpath b/c i was dealing with extracting things from real bad html + we had a xpath engine that supported regular expression matchers

like the axis, path, selector stuff that just isn't in css selectors.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

it's probably anything using boto 2 b/c it's got horrible support for aws regions

We're using boto3

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the w3c never really recovered from HTML 3.0 imo

like how much of a shut-in did someone have to be in 1996 to think that the future of the web was publishing STEM papers

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 30, 2015

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
who remembers the arena browser, w3c's reference implementation of HTML3 where they put a synaesthete in charge of the project and he made the default stylesheet all weird because he thought it tasted good or something

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
variables are too hard for web developers. just copy and paste -w3c

quote:

It is too difficult to look in two places at once, the place where a value is used and the place where it is defined
my sides

brap fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 30, 2015

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
so it is too difficult to look in two places at once, but if you want vertical centering you just need to nest three div's together with a bunch of bogus styles which is completely intuitive i guess, idk

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

nice background

for 1992

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagacity posted:

so it is too difficult to look in two places at once, but if you want vertical centering you just need to nest three div's together with a bunch of bogus styles which is completely intuitive i guess, idk

the semantic web~

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
i'm glad css hipsters are now using tables again, so the rest of us don't have to feel bad about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

quote:

A bit of statistics on the W3C site reveals the following distribution of sizes of style sheets:
  • number of CSS style sheets: 25725
  • number of non-empty style sheets: 24805
  • largest style sheet: 4872 lines (generated by an early version of FrameMaker)
  • largest hand-written style sheet: 1462 lines (bought from a Web design company)
  • average non-empty style sheet: 54 lines
[...]
The authors who write on this Web site site are probably more careful about the structure and re-usability (and download speed) of their documents than the average Web author and there are indications that the average size of style sheets on the Web is two or three times higher. That is still small for computer code, though. Although it doesn't fit in one window, like the average W3C style sheet, it doesn't take more than scrolling once or twice either.

"Professional web designers are an outlier and their needs are not significant. We, the W3C itself, have more significant use cases"