Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah it is not really a dempsey as much as it is 'a series of punches from non-predictable angles'. Which, to be fair, is a big step forward for Ippo.

Speaking of progress, I mean, he used a low-high feint to score a knockdown! A feint!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bisse posted:

Yeah it is not really a dempsey as much as it is 'a series of punches from non-predictable angles'. Which, to be fair, is a big step forward for Ippo.

Speaking of progress, I mean, he used a low-high feint to score a knockdown! A feint!

He hasn't used that since like the 1st fight with Sendo right?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
There is one new additional wrinkle: From what we've seen here, Shin New Demspey For Reals This Time isn't left-right-left-right-left-right, this was left upper, left hook, right upper, right hook.

What should be interesting is the promise of being able to pick between anye of the following: left or right, hooks or uppers, stop or go, and now _same-side or alternating_.

At this point, the only thing Ippo really needs to do is to start working in up-down or down-up on the hooks. Something he frankly should have done a lot sooner, but whatever, you get down with your bad self, Morikawa.

That said, I am really wishing that we'd get some refinement on the other, specialty one-off punches we've seen. I mean, off the top of my head, there was the Gazelle into the gut, (Volg) which could very well be the source for the heartbreak shot (Gedo) and the anti-clinch (Sanada, Sendo, others)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 12, 2017

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
What is Japan's obsession with named special moves?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
its been awhile but chapter 1185 is out.

perhaps the best representation of Ippo, a big rock.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
"The coach planted his seed in me! I can feel it growing!"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There is one new additional wrinkle: From what we've seen here, Shin New Demspey For Reals This Time isn't left-right-left-right-left-right, this was left upper, left hook, right upper, right hook.

What should be interesting is the promise of being able to pick between anye of the following: left or right, hooks or uppers, stop or go, and now _same-side or alternating_.

At this point, the only thing Ippo really needs to do is to start working in up-down or down-up on the hooks. Something he frankly should have done a lot sooner, but whatever, you get down with your bad self, Morikawa.

That said, I am really wishing that we'd get some refinement on the other, specialty one-off punches we've seen. I mean, off the top of my head, there was the Gazelle into the gut, (Volg) which could very well be the source for the heartbreak shot (Gedo) and the anti-clinch (Sanada, Sendo, others)

thats great, now Ippo just needs to learn how to win a fight without suffering permanent brain damage

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CharlestonJew posted:

thats great, now Ippo just needs to learn how to win a fight without suffering permanent brain damage

Too late

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1186

Advice - Dont get hit and hit your opponent. Thanks coach.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

To be fair could Ippo's brain handle anything else?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Actually he finally gave advice, he was like: "even small jabs add up don't disrespect them"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
you guys go a bit overboard w/ the coach is bad meme, like we get it lol. watching out for jabs and closing the distance w blocks is good advice for a fighter w/ low tech skill who has been shown to utterly dominate on the inside. + ippo being a fighter so ruled by emotion it was more important to ascertain his readiness to get back in the fray, esp. against a fighter he could beat w his eyes closed basically

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
You forget that Ippo tends to block punches with his face. If only the coach actually spent time drilling more dodge/block moves into Ippo than THE NEW DEMPSEY!

Geddo's advice is pretty solid: jab, keep distance, pile up the damage little by little. That's how you get a win by decision. Still a win! :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

What is Japan's obsession with named special moves?
it gives you something cool to shout when you're fighting

without named moves shonen anime would be 80% incoherent screaming

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

you guys go a bit overboard w/ the coach is bad meme, like we get it lol. watching out for jabs and closing the distance w blocks is good advice for a fighter w/ low tech skill who has been shown to utterly dominate on the inside. + ippo being a fighter so ruled by emotion it was more important to ascertain his readiness to get back in the fray, esp. against a fighter he could beat w his eyes closed basically

Ironically defending the coach, nice meme

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kal-L posted:

You forget that Ippo tends to block punches with his face. If only the coach actually spent time drilling more dodge/block moves into Ippo than THE NEW DEMPSEY!

Geddo's advice is pretty solid: jab, keep distance, pile up the damage little by little. That's how you get a win by decision. Still a win! :v:

To be fair, Ippo is actually shown to be really good at weaving/dodging; it's just that his opponents are better.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The coach as an abusive father figure who never praises his son his cemented in this chapter.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
ippo 1187: http://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1187/4436/1?t=1&f=0&e=1

ippo is charging up to use his special move of getting punched in the face

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So I've really only started reading in the past few years and 150-ish chapters and it blows my mind that this dude is still learning the basics of boxing - like how to fight a lefty - literally twelve hundred chapters into the manga. I feel no need to go back and read the other stuff because it's probably way funnier this way.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

So I've really only started reading in the past few years and 150-ish chapters and it blows my mind that this dude is still learning the basics of boxing - like how to fight a lefty - literally twelve hundred chapters into the manga. I feel no need to go back and read the other stuff because it's probably way funnier this way.

Look Ippo was too busy fighting monkey men who jumped around on the ropes, okay?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

In some sports manga, middle-schoolers can transcend the greatest athletes of the real world.

In others...

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!
Looking at chapter 1187 it seems like Ippo has finally found the hole that was made for him.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Every time Ippo pushes off his toe it looks like an excruciating injury happening.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Peel posted:

Every time Ippo pushes off his toe it looks like an excruciating injury happening.

All part of the Coach's master plan, it's an expertly trained big toe,

:goonsay:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't get what's supposed to be illustrated there, it looks like he is pinching the canvas with his toes and twisting it, through his shoes??

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

It's just to show that he has Very Strong Toes, he isn't literally deforming the canvas.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
go ippo

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

hwordhan posted:

Looking at chapter 1187 it seems like Ippo has finally found the hole that was made for him.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

:vince:

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!
:perfect:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapter 1189 is out.

Ippo having more trouble in his second return after a lose match that his first, but still handily gonna win.

and since mangastream adds fanart for other series but not Ippo...

x

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Huzzah! posted:

chapter 1189 is out.

Ippo having more trouble in his second return after a lose match that his first, but still handily gonna win.

and since mangastream adds fanart for other series but not Ippo...

x

But that's the best part. All of Mangastream's fanart is terrible.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Two new chapters.

http://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1190/4556/1

Ippo poised to claim his first kill in the ring.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ippo is going to murder a person.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
*snuffs out a man's life*
ippo: but what does it mean... to be strong?????

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

legitimate lol from me, friend

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
coach's advice of "punch harder" finally paying off

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

ElGroucho posted:

legitimate lol from me, friend

same

ippo you're a 5 foot mike tyson just accept it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, canonically, Ippo is *at least* as strong as Takamura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpw3ItaYac0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Let's just fasttrack all of this nonsense; the next evolution of the Dempsey Roll is a gun.