Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
!!first proper league match!!

Because of Reasons, there's like 28-30 guys in our squad for this season, so there's a pretty aggressive squad rotation policy going on. Anyway, this week was our second match, the first I played in, and I actually did... really well, considering it was my first match of league football ever. Played at rightback, apart from a confusing five minutes at left-wing in which I was immediately found out as totally ineffective. Got singled out for praise by the coach afterward, and I feel like it's starting to click for me. Unfortunately, we lost 3-1 - our goal was a beautiful curling fluke of a diagonal cross - looking good at the start of both halves but dropping off as the match went on.

The good thing is that the squad is really big on all turning up for the matches, whether you're picked or not, and all going out for drinks on the night, so there's already a strong sense of spirit (apart from one really shiftless, arrogant guy who doesn't communicate except in grunts, shrugs and whining).

The one thing is I started pretty bad and took a while to grow into the match, which has happened in like every match I've played so far. Hopefully at some point I'll just be good from the start. Still, I'm feeling confident of keeping my spot for next match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
All through high school I was a forward. When I played pickups after high school I started dropping back to defending out of sheer frustration and competitiveness, because no matter how often I'd score the other team would score right back. That's when I learned that a lock down centerback or stopper could be just as vital to winning than a good striker at amateur levels.

Where I live we have a league with 5 divisions with promotions and relegations. Up until we got to first division I'd play stopper like a defensive midfielder and would man mark if a team had a stand out striker. I'd usually end up one of the top goal scorers.

In first division and premier we had to switch to flat four because the teams started having two or three guys that could out run anybody on our team on the field at one time. I'm 37 now and my legs just aren't cut out for chasing 25 year old Africans and Islanders anymore.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Played my first full in match in over a year, i really need to get back to doing more cardio jfc

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Cheers for the kind words y'all, suicide has been temporarily postponed until the next gently caress up. I've got two weeks to get my confidence back, so I might have to find something I'm good at and just rock it for a bit.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

cosmicjim posted:

Breaking a bone doesn't really hurt. What happens to tissue around it is what hurts. So the pain involved in breaking bones varies wildly.

Um what? I've broken many bones and never knew this.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Bones do have nerves. Bones do have pain, but pain from inflamed tissue generally hurts much worse.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
The new cranberries album is really good

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Where can I find positional videos for fullback or wingback play? And basic defensive fundamentals?

I play 2-3x a week in Miami. Weekdays is 8v8 with keepers and than sat/sun is a full 11 on 11.

I am not very technically gifted but I'm strong and fast. Very fast. Im typically the fastest person without the ball and one of the fastest with it. I played Division I baseball in college, and (american) football, baseball and ran track in high school. I'm athletic, that's my strength as a player. I can also use my left foot naturally which is cool and good.

Now....i can't do much but knock it past you and beat you in a race to it, but I can cut in and finish or lay it off. However, I play in Miami, so we have plenty of little South/central american kids who can do all the sexy poo poo and dance around and play midfield and foward so typically I take my rear end back to the defensive line and plug in at CB or LB cause maybe one other kid will play defense. So I'm looking for some basic fundamental defensive tips irt to technique, positioning when to press, how to play 2v1s poo poo like that.

I've been invited to play on both an 8s and 11s team in basically the same position. LB so I'm interested in learning that primarily as well as some CB. In 8s (and sometimes but more rarely 11s) I function closer to a Complete Wingback (thanks FM) in that I am basically isolated up and down the left wing by myself so I can choose to involve my self offensively when I want. This is up to gameflow and positioning and stuff that I'm still developing a sense for but I can run all game and get in behind during the 88th min as quick as I would in the 8th. Which is kinda required cause holy gently caress it's a long God drat field I'm on an island on.

Offensively I'll either come in late for an outlet pass or to finish, or I'll bomb forward for a cross or pass in behind. I make threatening runs. Typically I'll play conservatively for the opening of a match and when the opposition FB either tucks in or stops looking down the wing (particularly if the midfield I play behind is staying central) I'll make a run off him in behind and they boot it to me in the corner or on the through.

I would like to solidify my defensive abilities though and this is what I'm more concerned with because if I move up or get picked up by better people I don't have the skill/technique to become an offensively gifted player. I've only played for a year. Also im 27.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I don't know about videos. I'm sure you could find something on youtube, but it's a crapshoot between some nerd over at that zonal marking blog overanalyzing Dani Alves' impact on the modern offensive fullback or a couple random chumps drumming up business for their elite soccer academy.

Basic defending is really straight forward:
You stay close to a player in your area. Close is a relative term. It's a distance where you know you can reach that person should they receive the ball and where you can recover and track them if they make a run. If you have more than one player in your area, you need to communicate with your midfielders/centerbacks/fullbacks to cover those players.
When your team doesn't have the ball, you stand ball-side, goal-side. This means if the ball is on the right side of the field, you are on the right side of the player you are defending and you are between that player and the goal.
When the other fullback goes forward, you stay back.
When the player is in front of you and has the ball, you don't dive in or try to nick the ball. You stand them up and force them to make a move. If you're behind them, do whatever you can to dispossess them or slow them down.

Everything else with regard to defending is just stuff you pick up over time. It's reading a player, knowing where their teammates are, and anticipating what that player wants to do with the ball based off of that. Other than that, the best tip I can give is to be aware of the space you create between yourself and your next closest team mates when you press someone. Based on where on the field you're pressing, is it really worth it? Are you giving the other team an avenue to play through?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That's a really good summary. Only things I would add is to not to drop behind the center backs to leave people onside and to try to anticipate where the ball is going so you can close down players before they have dangerous and playable options. There are guys who run at players like idiots and make it real easy to break the line but there are also guys who play like freelance ball-watching sweepers who routinely let the line get pushed into their own six yard box without putting in a challenge.

Oh, it's an aside but when the ball is dead attempt to get into position before play restarts, especially if a very good and fine teammate has been begging you to do that all season.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I frequently play goal in 5v5 or 7v7 and I'm decent at it, rushing out on those pitches is fun.

The other day I was forced to play goal on an 11v11 match because the keeper cancelled last minute and it was a loving nightmare, lost like 11-0 with 7 of those goals being breakaways caused by a bad offside line and me not knowing how to rush out on a big field, and on the others I didn't have a chance because I was way out of position. That'll teach me to think I could just do it with zero preparation lol

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Simone Poodoin posted:

I frequently play goal in 5v5 or 7v7 and I'm decent at it, rushing out on those pitches is fun.

The other day I was forced to play goal on an 11v11 match because the keeper cancelled last minute and it was a loving nightmare, lost like 11-0 with 7 of those goals being breakaways caused by a bad offside line and me not knowing how to rush out on a big field, and on the others I didn't have a chance because I was way out of position. That'll teach me to think I could just do it with zero preparation lol

Get the ball and then get the man op

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it's not really your fault if your defenders are leaving you with one on one situations to deal with. the advantage is always with the attacker.

what I would say is that depending on your level however the best tactic is firstly not to come rushing out of your box if the ball is at the attacker's feet.

if it's a through ball and you think you can get to it you should try - also why you should stand towards the edge of your 18 yard box when your team is in possession; so you can sweep up any through balls.

however let's assume that the ball is at the attacker's feet, firstly you should drop back when you see the through ball has been collected, or the run is being made, to about the edge of the six yard box, this covers a lot of the angles if the guy is coming down the wings.

at a relatively low levely however the guy still needs to put the ball in the net, and what I've found is that if I just stay on my feet, lower the angle and make myself big, force the guy to make the shot - chances are they'll miss. if they curl it into the corner, fair enough, good finish and you blame your defenders.

if you are constantly going to ground in an attempt to steal the ball from the attacker, you allow them to react and just take it past you. plus if you keep doing that, you're predictable.

stay on your feet and in your box as long as possible, if the attacker misses a couple one on ones, he'll be nervous the next time, and you might be able to grab it while he hesitates.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah it wasn't one on one, it was two or three on one. Thanks for the tips though, I'll try them if I ever do that again but I probably just try to avoid it instead.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol if it's two or three on one you're hosed and it's the defender's problem not yours

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol @ the fatty goalkeeper cabal coming out of the woodwork.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
im not a goalkeeper op

gks are lame

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

I’m not fat anymore!!!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shrapnig posted:

im a fully paid up member of the goalkeeper's union

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Goalkeepers Unite!

Also yeah everything in that big post is correct

My addendum:

Learn to be ok with blaming your defenders for leaving you in unwinnable 1-3 on one situations. If you actually manage to salvage the situation make sure to tell the defenders exactly what they did wrong so they don't keep doing it. Unless you completely gently caress up (like just fall over and let the attacker walk past you) it's not your fault for being beaten in that situation.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gary Neville thinks goalkeepers should save seven or eight out of ten one on ones and I think he's right.

Get your fat rear end off your line and cover your angles.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
for a one on one yeah sure, but if you've been left with two or three attacking players bearing down on you with your defenders shrugging their shoulders and looking at each other on the half way line because they've given up already there's not much you can do

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

If we're counting "pressure them into missing" as "save" then I don't have an issue with that.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
yeah, and at a low level they're much more likely to miss if you don't commit yourself because they are also shite

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I had a game a few weeks back where I think I saved about 7 or 8 one on ones because I just ran to the edge of the box, made myself as big as possible and they just panicked and weakly drilled the shot straight into my midsection. Was hilarious.

We still lost because our forwards are loving terrible at scoring goals at the moment.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think 50% of stopping one on ones (and penalties) is relishing the chance to humiliate the attacker. It's still pretty hard but if you eat up space with little steps and take a chance on what you guess he wants to do you've got a chance against players who aren't great. If you are making guys try to chip you, you're probably doing it right.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

iajanus posted:

I had a game a few weeks back where I think I saved about 7 or 8 one on ones because I just ran to the edge of the box, made myself as big as possible and they just panicked and weakly drilled the shot straight into my midsection. Was hilarious.

We still lost because our forwards are loving terrible at scoring goals at the moment.

Nothing like having the useless impotent cunts up front having a go when you lose your 5th game in a row 1-0. Just loving score you flogs

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
LOL @ all the goons coming out of the woods for goalie chat.

In outfield player news, I've been playing LW/LB pretty consistently the last few weeks so thats nice. I play 8v8 or 11v11 on tuesdays and small 5/6 games on Thursdays with my company on a rooftop field.

The 8/11 games are pretty fun and I've been getting pretty good at beating people down the line offensively, I've developed a nice little sequence where I run at you, jab step and then basically just knock the ball on past the defender. If I get a big cushion, I still just run at you and than look for a pass so I can continue my run. I've scored a handful of goals from cutting in and just firing one off so that's nice too.

My latest 8's game I started in LB and was playing pretty well but I had the worlds laziest and shittiest LM in front of me. I usually ask hey are you gunna stay back or go forward to get a sense of how I'm going to be playing and this dude was like oh i'll stay back...so I go foward cool...and than this guy just ends up floating around the box waiting for a pass. I'm like whatever I'll stay back, but i guess this jackass was tired and started actually staying back so no we're overloaded on the back...it was just really frustrating. He would just kind of float around aimlessly and with no regard to positioning or where he is in regards to himself, his team or the opposition. Luckily the CB on my side was pretty good at covering so we handled it but that dude was such a pain in the rear end to work with.

On the bright side i assisted in a goal by one touching a cross with my left foot to a strike who was streaking down the middle of the box who than one touched it into the net. it was nice.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The new op title should be something about being too fat to run

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Totally fine with keepers being subhuman for thread purposes or whatever and this is not a counterpoint to that but in fact a much worse "I sighed as I drew my goalie gloves" post.

This might just be an NYC area thing, but there is a shortage of keepers in casual leagues. I started just spot filling in when our keeper missed games and we couldn't get a sub (shortage) and by virtue of not being totally incompetent at it / not wanting the dude who can barely catch and/or is afraid of a fast moving ball back there (same guys who you don't want in the wall, there are a lot of them) started getting way more requests than I could agree to from guys who were now on different teams. Lot of guys also can't ping a ball a decent distance, which is a liability on goal kicks when teams find that out and start pressing.

Anyway, so now I play in two games a week, usually one as a fullback or winger and usually one as a goalie. You would never mistake me for a guy who played keeper in division 1 college (for American players that's probably the clearest Mason-Dixon quality line IMO) but it's kind of fun to be actually improving at something even though I'm well past my prime.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I know lots of 11v11 keepers here but they're all irresponsible flakes even though we even offer to cover their part of the pitch rental if they play for us. These are friendly matches between offices so I guess what I need to do is hire a good keeper and make up a job for them to do.

On 11v11 I rather play center back or defensive midfielder, especially now that even though I'm still a fat gently caress I can run around for 90 minutes without dying.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

pangstrom posted:

"I sighed as I drew my goalie gloves"

Pls new thread title

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like the new title but that is also a strong contender

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I'll have you goons know that I am fat old shite and a centreback so where is your god now

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

pangstrom posted:

Totally fine with keepers being subhuman for thread purposes or whatever and this is not a counterpoint to that but in fact a much worse "I sighed as I drew my goalie gloves" post.

This might just be an NYC area thing, but there is a shortage of keepers in casual leagues. I started just spot filling in when our keeper missed games and we couldn't get a sub (shortage) and by virtue of not being totally incompetent at it / not wanting the dude who can barely catch and/or is afraid of a fast moving ball back there (same guys who you don't want in the wall, there are a lot of them) started getting way more requests than I could agree to from guys who were now on different teams. Lot of guys also can't ping a ball a decent distance, which is a liability on goal kicks when teams find that out and start pressing.

Anyway, so now I play in two games a week, usually one as a fullback or winger and usually one as a goalie. You would never mistake me for a guy who played keeper in division 1 college (for American players that's probably the clearest Mason-Dixon quality line IMO) but it's kind of fun to be actually improving at something even though I'm well past my prime.

Keeper shortages have been a thing everywhere I’ve played in rec leagues. When I moved to Colorado, I joined my friend’s team right away and pretty soon was playing four nights a week for different teams.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Tongues posted:

I'll have you goons know that I am fat old shite and a centreback so where is your god now

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Simone Poodoin posted:

I know lots of 11v11 keepers here but they're all irresponsible flakes even though we even offer to cover their part of the pitch rental if they play for us. These are friendly matches between offices so I guess what I need to do is hire a good keeper and make up a job for them to do.

On 11v11 I rather play center back or defensive midfielder, especially now that even though I'm still a fat gently caress I can run around for 90 minutes without dying.

I miss playing for free because of this. Keeper is hell on your body for turf when you get older. I wish there were decent grass fields in the states.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm playing this fall on a field turf field. my only boots are the predators from cir...2005 or so, with metal studs. are those going to be illegal and or a bad idea in this situation?

edit: these things

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Metal studs tend to be illegal in casual leagues, in my limited experience of 5 years. But I'm also in America, and we are all wieners that suck at football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wouldn't use metal on turf cause your knee is gunna tear before the turf does if you get stuck