Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My senator's office has poked the VA with a stick and we're now waiting for a response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The VA is now ignoring both me and Senator Manchin's office.

What the gently caress do I do now?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I spoke with my case manager at my senator's office. In response to her "hey, it's been over two weeks, what gives?" email the VA sent the same "give us two weeks" email they sent three weeks ago. After getting that she made some phone calls, reached nobody, and left voicemails that haven't been answered.

I called the White House VA hotline so I think I've done everything I can do.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

This is going to sound flippant, but isn't intended to be:

Op ed in the Washington Post?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

SquirrelyPSU posted:

This is going to sound flippant, but isn't intended to be:

Op ed in the Washington Post?

I have cj Chivers number and the number of an editor of the New Yorker, does that help out?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
McNally when you're on MSNBC over this remember GIP. do it for the GIPpers

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TheWeedNumber posted:

I have cj Chivers number and the number of an editor of the New Yorker, does that help out?

Maybe? Then again I'm concerned if I go to outside channels the VA will just get intransigent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, can you tell Rachel Maddow that I like her show?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

McNally posted:

Maybe? Then again I'm concerned if I go to outside channels the VA will just get intransigent.

Dunno, it already seams that way.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

text me if anything then

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Dunno, it already seams that way.

Right now I'm operating under the theory that they're delaying because they can't find my paperwork. Case worker at Manchin's office send them fresh copies.

TheWeedNumber posted:

text me if anything then

Thumbs up emoji.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/robinsreport/status/1456675183201329155?s=20

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why would he care? It's free money going to schools.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Given the hygiene practices of liberal arts professors, the man was wrong on the reason but sure cognizant of the future

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hobo jungles isn't probably the right phrase, but if I recall from either Bud Day or Yaeger (I think it was Day's) autobiography, didn't a bunch of places spring up after the war specifically to claim that sweet, sweet, GI Bill cash just like in the mid 2000's?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

Why would he care? It's free money going to schools.

The WWI bonus army and public perception of veterans throughout the interwar period was not sterling. Many people viewed vets as bums who couldnt adjust to the meager reality of pre-ww2 America and freeloaders who wanted a handout (the bonuses they were promised when they signed up to fight)

Also back then colleges were upper crust institutions where connections were forged. Making money hand over fist is more a recent development in higher education

Mehsticles
Jul 2, 2012
Would there happen to be anyone here currently studying overseas through VA benefits? My partner is currently studying here in the UK, however has been told that due to the US gvt wanting access to some form of data of any US students at the school, and UK schools not wanting to play ball, all VA funding for overseas will be pulled as the UK considers it illegal to provide this (who'da thought it). As the funding is done yearly rather than it being approved as a 3 / x year course, they simply won't be able to afford the additional years of study here.

So my partner is one year into a degree they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford (couldn't without VA benefits), and we seem to just be poo poo out of luck. Their student visa will be rescinded also, so it appears we're going to have to look at getting married a bit sooner (and their finding something they want to do other than study here). They don't particularly want to move back to the US, and I currently have some medical issues that I wouldn't be able to afford having in the USA. Re funding, It's a niche problem to have, so google doesn't return much on it.

The university says nothing they can do, it is not legal for them to provide the data, and that's that (fair). The VA, well. Doesn't appear to say much at all. Has anyone else heard of this? Or can think of anything we might not have?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Got a message from my dad. A letter from the VA arrived for me.

It's the letter dated September 8th that I already saw that my VR&E counselor emailed me.

I shared the good news with my case worker at Manchin's office and she told me she spoke with the VA today and they are currently reviewing my case. Fingers crossed this gets resolved soon.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

Got a message from my dad. A letter from the VA arrived for me.

It's the letter dated September 8th that I already saw that my VR&E counselor emailed me.

I shared the good news with my case worker at Manchin's office and she told me she spoke with the VA today and they are currently reviewing my case. Fingers crossed this gets resolved soon.

That’s good news to hear

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Mehsticles posted:

Would there happen to be anyone here currently studying overseas through VA benefits? My partner is currently studying here in the UK, however has been told that due to the US gvt wanting access to some form of data of any US students at the school, and UK schools not wanting to play ball, all VA funding for overseas will be pulled as the UK considers it illegal to provide this (who'da thought it). As the funding is done yearly rather than it being approved as a 3 / x year course, they simply won't be able to afford the additional years of study here.

So my partner is one year into a degree they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford (couldn't without VA benefits), and we seem to just be poo poo out of luck. Their student visa will be rescinded also, so it appears we're going to have to look at getting married a bit sooner (and their finding something they want to do other than study here). They don't particularly want to move back to the US, and I currently have some medical issues that I wouldn't be able to afford having in the USA. Re funding, It's a niche problem to have, so google doesn't return much on it.

The university says nothing they can do, it is not legal for them to provide the data, and that's that (fair). The VA, well. Doesn't appear to say much at all. Has anyone else heard of this? Or can think of anything we might not have?

This is a problem at a lot of non-US schools right now. I know one group collecting stories and lobbying for a legislative fix. You can reach them at VeteransCaucus@democratsabroad.org

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 10, 2021

Mehsticles
Jul 2, 2012

Dorstein posted:

This is a problem at a lot of non-US schools right now. I know one group collecting stories and lobbying for a legislative fix. You can reach them at VeteransCaucus@democratsabroad.org

Thanks Dorstein, appreciate it. Fingers crossed something comes of it!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I got a response from the VA today.

In the mail. In Scotland. Postmarked 19 October.

quote:

Under 38 CFR 21.130, VRE station 315 (Huntington Regional Office) does not have the authority or jurisdiction to approve foreign training. A request was made to the Pittsburg Regional Office on your behalf and per your request to transfer your VR&E services to the regional office of jurisdiction. The request was denied.

Under 38 CFR21.130 and M28C.V.C.1 Foreign Cases, the documentation provided did not meet the 38 CFR21.130 and M28C.V.C.1 requirements for legal residence in Scotland for the length of time necessary to complete the training. Additionally, the personal hardship criteria in 38 CFR21.130 and M28C.V.C.1 was not met.

Cool, denying me because I didn't provide something they didn't ask for. Doesn't sound like moving goal post to me at all. Nope nope, cool.

And they're still saying I can use VR&E to pursue a degree that doesn't exist in the US, too. Awesome.

I notice they didn't say anything about my argument saying the program I'm pursuing doesn't exist in the US, so there's that at least.

I'm really thinking about giving up and just using my GI Bill.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I spoke with my caseworker at Manchin's office. She seems less than pleased that the VA is telling her they're still working on this despite having made a decision a month ago. She asked me to put together my next supplemental claim and send it to her so she can be sure the VA gets it and starts working on it in a timely manner.

It came across as "so I can shove it up their asses," so hopefully this gets it done.

Meanwhile I also sent it to dad so he can send it to them through the normal channels. Via postal mail. In the year 2021.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

McNally posted:

I spoke with my caseworker at Manchin's office. She seems less than pleased that the VA is telling her they're still working on this despite having made a decision a month ago. She asked me to put together my next supplemental claim and send it to her so she can be sure the VA gets it and starts working on it in a timely manner.

It came across as "so I can shove it up their asses," so hopefully this gets it done.

Meanwhile I also sent it to dad so he can send it to them through the normal channels. Via postal mail. In the year 2021.

You might be too late to make the 4:30 autogyro, probably need to send it via telegram.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

You might be too late to make the 4:30 autogyro, probably need to send it via telegram.

I lold

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin

hobo jungles, like wild hoes and bohemians, animal house, or homeless fools and bo peeps? Or like Upton Sinclair's jungle?

This is a neat thread by the way, and having called it for the trainwreck between academia and the military is part of why I picked up on it.

Sometimes I could go for venting somewhere like this. Sometimes I feel like a train wreck for the University being varied degrees of 'of' and 'for' both academia and the military, depending on the research I suppose, or the applications of the work. Or having gone with the intent of contributing and pursuing studies and research peacefully in my field as people were going University or College to get a degree and a job, and still are, and it undermines humanities, sciences, liberal arts, all of it. I don't feel like I have to go into detail about why I feel ok posting in this thread, I didn't finish my bachelor's while there was traumatic poo poo going on in my studies and all of it. When I went, in order to attend, I had to sign up for California Selective Service, and at the time I went it stated I would agree to be drafted if there was a draft. My closest point of reference for a draft was what they did during the Vietnam war, and getting drafted is for situations where people are actually killing each other in armed poo poo that people protest for good reason, and so my mindset was always to find in my studies and work what would prevent wars or be applicable to preventing drafts or violence that isn't necessary. And it feels sometimes that my resource as a person and human and worker and student got really overlooked. So, thanks for this thread!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

U of Chicago is where Richard Spencer did his masters, so it seems like maybe there’s some issues in that institution

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Internet Wizard posted:

U of Chicago is where Richard Spencer did his masters, so it seems like maybe there’s some issues in that institution

It’s pretty much the dark heart of gently caress the Poor economic theory

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Internet Wizard posted:

They also came up with the Anti-Trust analysis standard that has allowed countless massive mergers and otherwise illegal behavior to take place. They suck!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
VA got back to me regarding the supplemental claim I sent in after they told me I didn't prove I'm legally residing in Scotland for the duration of my program. They've denied my claim because I didn't prove I'm legally residing in Scotland for the duration of my program. I sent them my residency permit and my entry visa, this time I sent them my housing contract and a letter from the university outlining how long my program is.

I am so loving tired of this bullshit.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
got an a in o chem 2

gonna go cry now that was rough

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

got an a in o chem 2

thats impressive though, good work

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

got an a in o chem 2

:getin:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Lots of looking at questions and going "it's that one" with no loving idea how we get there from the start. P-kewl

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

maffew buildings posted:

got an a in o chem 2

Nice.

Me too, back then.

Still have occasional visions of boat-chair flips despite not doing any chemistry for a decade.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Graduated. In my fifties, double major, 4.0.

Bit of a boast here, but if I can earn a degree, you can as well. Check your benefits, there are time limitations. C31, C33 expire and there are constant changes so please benefit from what you have earned.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you separated after 2013, Post 9/11 does not expire.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Booger Presley posted:

Bit of a boast here, but if I can earn a degree, you can as well. Check your benefits, there are time limitations. C31, C33 expire and there are constant changes so please benefit from what you have earned.

Congrats on escaping the lib indoctrination facilities!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Booger Presley posted:

Awesome dude, congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
This is my last semester. I was really excited for a fun one, I even secured housing to live in walking distance of campus despite only having one class in-person 3x a week, mostly to try and have a good fun semester around campus.

Looks like covid is planning otherwise, but that's life sometimes. We're rawdogging it and going straight to in-person, no 2 week quarantine period or anything.

The university sent out an email, their mitigation plan is rapid testing anyone in on-campus housing when they show up this weekend, and then a test per week like previous semesters... a choice quote: "Every student should have an individual plan for isolation housing if you have a positive COVID-19 test and quarantine housing if you are exposed to someone with the virus." which is one of the funniest things I've read so far this year for Ohio State, a campus of over 60,000 students.. and "Students in university housing should know that on-campus isolation and quarantine housing continues to be limited. Space is not guaranteed." which is just insane to me.

But I'm almost done and I'm still excited for it.