Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

So for punchy fightbots we're looking at Banshee, Dragon, Grasshopper, Shadowhawk, and Firestarter. The kicker is going to be balancing speed & initiative against armour & weapons, such that you can both close to melee range and survive closing to melee range. If I had to guess, I'd say either a fast Heavy (ie Dragon) or maybe just the Shadowhawk. The Banshee has plenty of killy bits, but it's not going to catch anything other than another Assault mech.

I want to try an HBK-4P with JJs as a melee mech, it's annoying that you can't have half-tons of MG ammo since it means if you have an odd number of support HPs and want to actually use them you end up having to drop armour (or possibly depending on how the final game has the rear armour thing, you have to throw on a load of extra rear armour - which might not be a bad thing for a brawler)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I want to see how a punchy/kicky Grasshopper works.

I hope its half as dumb as I'm envisioning :allears:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
300+ damage alpha on a non-assault sounds :discourse:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It shouldn't be too hard to mod in a new half-ton ammo bin item, weasel. Not just for MGs either if you feel like it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I am disappointed we can't do engine fuckery. Maybe with a mod but that seems like it might be more hard coded?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pharnakes posted:

I am disappointed we can't do engine fuckery. Maybe with a mod but that seems like it might be more hard coded?

Is it not possible to change engines? I guess it would make the different chassis have more specific roles if it isn't possible to change engine sizes/go XL.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Dramicus posted:

Is it not possible to change engines? I guess it would make the different chassis have more specific roles if it isn't possible to change engine sizes/go XL.

There is no functionality in the HBS Mech Lab to support engine changes. I'm not even sure you can alter it manually in the mech json files.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dramicus posted:

You'd have to make distinct chassis variants via mod if you want the options for new engines, sadly.

That, at least, is very easy, but it has the bad campaign side effect of adding a ton of clutter to however many mechs you might be keeping around in your inventory if you have essentially a Cicada 2A and Cicada 2A2 (aka cicada with sane engine instead of stock).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly I like being stuck with the engines you get. Swapping them out makes mechs waaaaaay too same-y and leads to there being clear best chassis based mostly on their weapon hardpoints.

Plus, all the poo poo I ever read in the source books etc pointed to weapon swaps being a major pain in the rear end. "Rebuilt the whole goddamned mech in a factory" kind of pain. The kind of thing that was worthwhile for major states to do when they needed to downgrade some lostech design after its XL engine too one too many hits, but not something your average merc command is going to do in the field.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Without endo and XLs available the options for building the best gun/punch platform aren't really all that extensive anyhow, either. I guess the real semi-ignoring fluff game reason not to deal with engine swaps is that it would make inventory a gigantic nightmare to deal with a pile of 150/155/160/165/170/175/.../.../400 engines.

...Aside from the fluff reason of replacing the engine being basically building a whole new mech.

(That said I'm sure as hell putting in some of my favorite tweaked out variants when I'm playing through because it's fun and I can, and I'm really fuckin glad that's possible in this game!)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Plus I always liked in BT how some mechs were just super situational to the point of kind of being bad.

The Cicada is a great example. It's not quite a bad mech, but it's very much situational as hell. It's pretty much built to run down typical scout lights and kill them. Vs. a locst it's going to kill it every day of the week, and if it's scouting itself it can run away from or outfight most of the other things its' going to see in that role.

Now, in a pitched battle compared to other mediums? Dead as gently caress and quickly at that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Plus I always liked in BT how some mechs were just super situational to the point of kind of being bad.

The Cicada is a great example. It's not quite a bad mech, but it's very much situational as hell. It's pretty much built to run down typical scout lights and kill them. Vs. a locst it's going to kill it every day of the week, and if it's scouting itself it can run away from or outfight most of the other things its' going to see in that role.

Now, in a pitched battle compared to other mediums? Dead as gently caress and quickly at that.

I mean... the Cicada 2A has the same armor and fewer guns than the Locust 1E :v:

It's very bad.

(Yes it is better than the basic Stinger and Wasp though)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 17, 2018

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I haven't been following closely but I thought the Warhammer and the Marauder were going to be in, what happened there? Speaking as someone who started playing in the 80s there is a huge gap in THIS IS BATTLETECH heavy mechs in that list. Those two plus no Archer is almost blasphemous, and somebody, someday, needs to accept that the Crusader is a cool mech and put it in a video game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I haven't been following closely but I thought the Warhammer and the Marauder were going to be in, what happened there? Speaking as someone who started playing in the 80s there is a huge gap in THIS IS BATTLETECH heavy mechs in that list. Those two plus no Archer is almost blasphemous, and somebody, someday, needs to accept that the Crusader is a cool mech and put it in a video game.

Harmony Gold sued everyone. They're currently getting their asses kicked (suit dismissed with prejudice against HBS, PGI still in the fight) so it's looking OK, but if they'd waited on the suit the game would have been delayed too much.

The upside is that the game is highly moddable and those models are basically already out there due to PGI releasing them in MWO (which is what a big part of the suit is about over there). Now, you would still need to animate them, but that's well within the scope of what nerds can do.

I give it a few months before there's a mod that dumps them in. If we're lucky PGI gets its suit tossed too and HBS puts them in officially.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

I give it a few months before there's a mod that dumps them in. If we're lucky PGI gets its suit tossed too and HBS puts them in officially.

The Warhammer has already been modded in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The beta mod was kinda janky though, so it might take a bit for it to get in and working well.

But one way or another, Mods or Official, we will have all the Unseen featured in MWO eventually.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You'll probably have every MWO mech crammed in eventually since the models are all readily available.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Skippy McPants posted:

You'll probably have every MWO mech crammed in eventually since the models are all readily available.

I feel like there's no way there isn't a big DLC or battletech 2 set in 3050s just because of how iconic those original clan mechs are

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just checking since my only experience is MW2 Mercs and MWO. The concept of "quirks" in MWO is something completely fabricated for the sake of game balance, right? There's no equivalent in BattleTech to the idea that, for example, the WHK-PRIME fires higher velocity cERPPC shots than anyone else just because it's a WHK-PRIME firing it, right?

(there's no clans yet in this, I know, just pulling an example out my rear end)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Just checking since my only experience is MW2 Mercs and MWO. The concept of "quirks" in MWO is something completely fabricated for the sake of game balance, right? There's no equivalent in BattleTech to the idea that, for example, the WHK-PRIME fires higher velocity cERPPC shots than anyone else just because it's a WHK-PRIME firing it, right?

Tabletop Battletech does have Quirks, people were just talking about them in PTN's LP thread for a few pages not too long ago.

HBS BT instead has uncommon/rare weapons and equipment with minor bonuses attached.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I like being stuck with the engines you get. Swapping them out makes mechs waaaaaay too same-y and leads to there being clear best chassis based mostly on their weapon hardpoints.

Plus, all the poo poo I ever read in the source books etc pointed to weapon swaps being a major pain in the rear end. "Rebuilt the whole goddamned mech in a factory" kind of pain. The kind of thing that was worthwhile for major states to do when they needed to downgrade some lostech design after its XL engine too one too many hits, but not something your average merc command is going to do in the field.

To midly misquote a friend "Mechs are too customizable, MW4 got it right." ...."so I put a laser in its knee".

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ciaphas posted:

Classic battletech quirks are more like, the Highlander has reinforced legs, so it takes half damage when performing a DFA attack. Or a certain mech might have better long range targeting, or be good at hitting aircraft, like the Jagermech.

There's also fluff quirks that don't impact gameplay, but make things like spare parts easier or harder to find.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Xarbala posted:

Tabletop Battletech does have Quirks, people were just talking about them in PTN's LP thread for a few pages not too long ago.

HBS BT instead has uncommon/rare weapons and equipment with minor bonuses attached.

That LP thread is a megalithic monster that for some reason I'm trying to catch up on from the beginning :gonk:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ciaphas posted:

That LP thread is a megalithic monster that for some reason I'm trying to catch up on from the beginning :gonk:

ITS SO WORTH

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So basically Quirks are a thing but my knowledge of them from MWO probably doesn't apply?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

sebmojo posted:

I'm guessing isildur will have snuck an Easter egg in there, otherwise I'm revoking the gently caress out of her goon card fyi

I hope there's an event where you can choose to not award your mechwarriors their bonus money and instead invest it with a shady businessman named Doobie

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pay their salary in ClanCoin

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ciaphas posted:

Just filter it to PTN's posts only. Then get ready to read 200+ pages of PTN posts.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Bubbacub posted:

I hope there's an event where you can choose to not award your mechwarriors their bonus money and instead invest it with a shady businessman named Doobie

I need a Grover House joke

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

sebmojo posted:

I'm guessing isildur will have snuck an Easter egg in there, otherwise I'm revoking the gently caress out of her goon card fyi
We try to be pretty subtle about our bullshit callouts, but they're in there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

HBS Cicada has the misfortune of being an engine on legs that still has to deal with the same initiative order of even the slowest medium. Because lights always get to go first whether you are a Cicada walking at 210 or Centurion walking at 120.

"I go 210! That means I can keep up with the fastest light mechs-gently caress the Locust has 5 pips of evasion again." Also according to a chart someone put up, the Cicada has a whopping 25 melee. A spider punches at 30 and it's up from there for lights. The only thing with a weaker melee is the Locust 15 tickle damage.

All that said? I can't wait until someone inevitably works out how to gently caress poo poo up with a Cicada :allears:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Section Z posted:

All that said? I can't wait until someone inevitably works out how to gently caress poo poo up with a Cicada :allears:

Running around and lasering heavies in the robutt?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Section Z posted:

I strongly suspect it's going to involve that pilot skill that makes you take initiative as if you were a weight class lighter. You can already do the same thing with a kintaro to hilarious effect, but the extra speed might be useful for really darting in and out like a crazy man.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I think on a Cicada I'd rather have the shoot-then-run Ace Pilot skill. You know, if you held a gun to my head and made me keep the Cicada to begin with.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bubbacub posted:

isildur posted:

We try to be pretty subtle about our bullshit callouts, but they're in there.

The stairs are filled with gas after an accident, crew need protection to get to the mechbay.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

I need a Grover House joke

sebmojo posted:

The stairs are filled with gas after an accident, crew need protection to get to the mechbay.

The stairs are also insulated.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ciaphas posted:

So basically Quirks are a thing but my knowledge of them from MWO probably doesn't apply?

Yup! Quirks as they exist in MWO were just made up whole cloth to try and make each chassis/variant more than a collection of weapons hardpoints.
Vs TT, where every single Stalker and Jenner have the "No/minimal arms" or every single Jager has AA targeting.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm permabanned mech pilot Fleastomper58.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

Classic battletech quirks are more like, the Highlander has reinforced legs, so it takes half damage when performing a DFA attack. Or a certain mech might have better long range targeting, or be good at hitting aircraft, like the Jagermech.

There's also fluff quirks that don't impact gameplay, but make things like spare parts easier or harder to find.

I was actually just reading about them: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Design_Quirks

There are apparently a bunch of negative quirks I've never heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
that battletech lp is completely incomprehensible.