Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No hugs in Japan.

This is the official committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a plot point in the original comic that Motoko Kusanagi is very obviously a fake name. Kusanagi is a famous sword in Japanese folklore, "Motoko Kusanagi" is the Japanese equivalent of "Jane Excalibur"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vintersorg posted:

No hugs in Japan.

This is the official committee.

No Blacks, No Koreans, No Hugs.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I guess they're boldly going one more time.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Shoehead posted:

I guess they're boldly going one more time.

:dong:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BOLDLY GOING WHERE BUNCH OF PEOPLE HAVE GONE BEFORE

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Boldly going forward because they cannot find the reverse

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And by boldly going forward we mean it's another loving prequel.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

EMERGENCY STOP NEVER USE

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Boldly going onto a straight-to-digital service near you.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this! posted:

And by boldly going forward we mean it's another loving prequel.

Does it really matter? I mean, even at its most serialized Star Trek was still mostly an episodic show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guy Mann posted:

Does it really matter? I mean, even at its most serialized Star Trek was still mostly an episodic show.

Well yeah as a prequel is gonna do a lot of foreshadowing poo poo that you will have to see the previous movies or shows to understand which makes it not episodic.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 30, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm actually worried the show won't be very episodic since it's coming out in TYOOL 2017 (maybe?) And every goddamn show has to be serialized nowadays.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yeah as a prequel is gonna do a lot of foreshadowing poo poo that you will have to see the previous movies or shows to understand which makes it not episodic.

I doubt it's going to do a lot of foreshadowing. It'll probably drop some fan wank references, but it's not like it shares any major characters with other Star Trek shows

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm actually worried the show won't be very episodic since it's coming out in TYOOL 2017 (maybe?) And every goddamn show has to be serialized nowadays.

I don't know if this information is out of date, since I think it came from Fuller, but I thought I heard that the show was doing season long arcs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it's not gonna be episodic.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sorry old chap, between the global non-Brit audience and the immense age gap here I think you're stretching it too far :o:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think you're stretching it too far :o:

Much like Kirk Johnson.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not a poster, but: it's like there's a loving competition to do the worst 'How do you do, fellow kids!' marketing with Spiderman Homecoming:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Much like Kirk Johnson.

:stonk:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MikeJF posted:

Not a poster, but: it's like there's a loving competition to do the worst 'How do you do, fellow kids!' marketing with Spiderman Homecoming:

are 99% of faces of actors on posters pasted on digitally? Because it certainly seems like it to me. Or I'm just such a shut-in that any face gives me an uncanny-valley reaction.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You know, I don't think he's actually suspended between those two buildings.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Is an embarassing photo session actually written into every contract with Entertainment Weekly or what?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Glad they finally worked NBD into it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

Is an embarassing photo session actually written into every contract with Entertainment Weekly or what?

That's Federal law bro, that said Tom Holland will be awesome forever because of that Umbrella performance.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Guy Goodbody posted:

I doubt it's going to do a lot of foreshadowing. It'll probably drop some fan wank references, but it's not like it shares any major characters with other Star Trek shows

You say that but then I stumbled upon a few episodes that happened in Enterprise where Riker and Troi were observing things. 200+ years before TNG even began. There's gonna be a shitload of stuff like that in this to rope fans in. Frakes is even directing an episode.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-jonathan-frakes-directing-the-next-generation-a7813796.html

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

You say that but then I stumbled upon a few episodes that happened in Enterprise where Riker and Troi were observing things. 200+ years before TNG even began.

That was the last episode of Enterprise and was meant to be the 'finale' of 18 years of continuous trek rather than just of Enterprise itself.

Everyone hated it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The worst part of post-TNG Trek is everything having to slobber on TNG's knob. but anyway, thread content

I like this one because it looks like an old CED cover

speaking of CED, enjoy this cover with James Kirk portrayed by Mads Mikkelsen

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Nihonniboku posted:

I mean, the woman she portrayed was a light skinned black woman.

She looks a lot like Rachel Dolezal in that poster.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if this information is out of date, since I think it came from Fuller, but I thought I heard that the show was doing season long arcs.

Hannibal did a good job balancing season-long arcs with episodic serial killer of the week plots, I know Fuller has since exited the show but I would be happy with something like that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"I need you do a me a poster for Star Trek."
"What's it about?"
"It's a sci-fi show created by Gene Roddenberry."
"Sci-Fi show starring Gene Barry. Got ya."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Guy Mann posted:

Hannibal did a good job balancing season-long arcs with episodic serial killer of the week plots, I know Fuller has since exited the show but I would be happy with something like that.

Eh, I wouldn't say it did a good job balancing the two. It sort of half-assed it in the first season and then just gave up in the second. Which is fine, but I wouldn't necessarily single it out as an example of them balancing well.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
C'mon they had someone who replaced people's brains with beehives!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is this show streaming somewhere? Hopefully, Netflix or Hulu. Because I'd like to see that.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Davros1 posted:

"I need you do a me a poster for Star Trek."
"What's it about?"
"It's a sci-fi show created by Gene Roddenberry."
"Sci-Fi show starring Gene Barry. Got ya."

This is good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

Is this show streaming somewhere? Hopefully, Netflix or Hulu. Because I'd like to see that.

Hannibal is on Amazon Prime.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Hannibal was so good.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Unfortunately American Gods is garbage fire of bad decisions so I'm kind of glad he's no longer involved in Discovery.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr. Squishy posted:

And the lady who did that was the actress who played Honey Bunny in Pulp Fiction. 🤔

Lizard Combatant posted:

Unfortunately American Gods is garbage fire of bad decisions so I'm kind of glad he's no longer involved in Discovery.

Actually it owns. A lot of people complained about the drawn out pacing of the main plot but it it's an adaptation of a best-selling book that most of it's audience has already read so taking it's time and having fun with the universe is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

muscles like this! posted:

Hannibal is on Amazon Prime.

Ooh, I can use that, too!