Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Who wants to take a stab at guessing what this year's -gate will be?

What was last year's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

abelwingnut posted:

i'm in apple's upgrade program. do verizon stores honor that, or do i need to go to an apple store?

Go to Apple, Verizon only cares about people on their upgrade program.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone tested the wider fov on Face ID? Can you do tabletop unlocks a little easier?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Probably going to upgrade to an 11 or 11 Pro at some point once stock replenishes. Which Spigen case should I get if I’m a big dumb clumsy oaf who drops his phone like once a week? I’ve had my SE in the Spigen Tough Armor for 3 years and it’s been fine so I’m tempted to get that again but from a quick Googling it sounds like I could get away with a slimmer Spigen and still protect against drops. Also losing the home button and getting a bigger phone makes me a little bit more apprehensive of a bulky case if I can avoid it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Dave posted:

What was last year's?

"Beauty-gate" :what:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Dave posted:

What was last year's?

There was "beauty-gate" with the camera smoothing people's blemishes and "charge-gate" where people had to tap their screens to initiate charging when plugging in their phones.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

We need better iPhone scandal names, nothing can top Bendghazi

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

Anyone tested the wider fov on Face ID? Can you do tabletop unlocks a little easier?

Only slightly a little wider. It absolutely won't work from say, the distance and angle a computer mouse would typically be from you. It also still only works upright; no iPad Pro upgrade that works in landscape.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Night Photo Mode Yoga Pants Undies-Gate

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Phone Actually Works Really Well And Has Minimal Bugs and Issues Compared to the Hundreds of Other Garbage-Tier Android Phones-gate

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

It's a good keyboard but it really needs the dang punctuation and number keys on long press like the google keyboard

Just press the 123 button and drag.

Long press requires you to memorize what the alternate character is for that key.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
What is the best photo app to use in order to get the most out of my new 11 camera? They normally do a story about the updated ones on the App Store, but they didn't this year for some reason.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know its probably just servers getting slammed but anyone else having trouble getting onto the 13.1 Beta?
Its been stuck on downloading for like an hour. (not moving, bar halfway)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So has anybody just walked into an Apple Store and bought a phone today? According to iStockNow there are only three locations in the entire United States that have any model of the Pro in stock (all in Washington!), which makes me suspect that most stores just aren't properly reporting inventory today? Or maybe this website is bad, I dunno I just found it an hour ago.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

So has anybody just walked into an Apple Store and bought a phone today? According to iStockNow there are only three locations in the entire United States that have any model of the Pro in stock (all in Washington!), which makes me suspect that most stores just aren't properly reporting inventory today? Or maybe this website is bad, I dunno I just found it an hour ago.

I was in my local Best Buy earlier and they had every model (though not every color) in stock. Obviously YMMV but we may be past the days of extended sellouts. Maybe.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
My 11 Pro arrived and is all set up and pretty and goddamn is the OLED a massive difference. Holy moly.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Just press the 123 button and drag.

Long press requires you to memorize what the alternate character is for that key.

It's not very hard to memorize the characters that are written on the key on a keyboard that has 10 corresponding keys across it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Dave posted:

What was last year's?

Shoddy Intel modems. The one on my XS Max had tons of issues staying connected until a software update finally fixed it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there any difference between Apples $40 clear case and Best Buy's $13 one?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

It's not very hard to memorize the characters that are written on the key on a keyboard that has 10 corresponding keys across it.

I'm more referring to all special characters. I can probably guess what number is under which QWERTYUIOP character.

Also we can't even get a default iPad calculator app because Jobs thought it looked ugly. Do you really think we're ever going to get superscript numbers on our keyboard? Never happening.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LODGE NORTH posted:

In the sense that I'd suggest you just buy a $5 one from Amazon instead of either case, no.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

LODGE NORTH posted:

ALLEGEDLY the TPU material Apple uses is less prone to yellowing than the cheap ones are, but take that with a hearty pinch of artisinal French sea salt. Even if it's remotely true, it's not enough to make me pony up 40 bucks for a plastic phone case, that's for drat sure.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I won a pair of first-generation AirPods with the charging case at a work raffle. I have no use for them so I'd like to sell them, but I'm not sure what a reasonable price would be. I see them for around $140 on Amazon but they're from sellers who evidently have a reputation for price gouging, judging by the comments. Any thoughts?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hooah posted:

I won a pair of first-generation AirPods with the charging case at a work raffle. I have no use for them so I'd like to sell them, but I'm not sure what a reasonable price would be. I see them for around $140 on Amazon but they're from sellers who evidently have a reputation for price gouging, judging by the comments. Any thoughts?

$100

I've seen them as low as $120 so if you want to sell them do it for $100.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Restoring is taking too goddamned long. I have places to be!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

MarcusSA posted:

$100

I've seen them as low as $120 so if you want to sell them do it for $100.

Thanks, that's about what I figured. Someone on Nextdoor offered $80 and that seemed a bit low.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well I got lucky and drove by a Verizon while in Wyoming for work. Walked in and said “got any pros?” Half joking. They had the only one in the whole town and I bought it.

Can’t wait to get home so I can go buy a saddle brown case.

The 11 pro is one slippery pickle.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alright let's get back to just posting cute pet photos bunch of babies iPhone 11 edition.

The ultrawide lens is decidedly a first-gen Apple attempt -- functional, pretty solid given enough light, kinda standard otherwise. Like the telephoto's debut on the 7+, it works and it's there, but it's got room to improve. Lots of fine detail loss in anything less than optimal lighting.

Night Mode, on the other hand... I've only tested it once so far. Here's the main/wide lens with no Night Mode, point and shoot. On my displays, this amount of lighting looks about correct. Not much light in this hallway with the lights off.

Here's the same point and shoot with Night Mode enabled. :discourse:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

What is the best photo app to use in order to get the most out of my new 11 camera? They normally do a story about the updated ones on the App Store, but they didn't this year for some reason.
Halide has been the app touted by the Apple blogger folks for a while, not sure if it’s updated but will soon enough I’m sure. And default Camera app for night mode I guess?

For video I dunno, Filmic? It’s the one they demoed at the keynote, it’s been around for a while iirc.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Two questions

I haven’t bought a new phone in like 5 years. Is bad battery memory not a thing anymore? Mine came at 80% and I’m not doing anything to break it in like discharging it or fully charging it, I’m just using it normally. Good?

I get that the 0.5 setting uses the new wide camera lens, but what’s up with the other 2? I tried messing with it by changing from 1 to 2 while covering different lenses and it’s inconsistent. Are they both used sometimes? Does it just auto pick which one to use based on the picture and zoom setting?

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
The camera app does sort of auto-pick between a software zoom on the 1x/wide lens and actually switching to the 2x/telephoto lens depending on lighting/how close the thing you're focusing on is. I wish there were a way to force the camera app to always use the hardware zoom...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

We still doing the portrait photos of our pets in here?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

FLOOR_MASTER posted:

The camera app does sort of auto-pick between a software zoom on the 1x/wide lens and actually switching to the 2x/telephoto lens depending on lighting/how close the thing you're focusing on is. I wish there were a way to force the camera app to always use the hardware zoom...

Do not second guess the camera! Apple knows how to take a picture better than you!

Honestly in this day of computational photography and the probably tens to hundreds of millions they’ve spent in R&D and dev time it’s probably only halfway joking anymore.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Rolo posted:

Well I got lucky and drove by a Verizon while in Wyoming for work. Walked in and said “got any pros?” Half joking. They had the only one in the whole town and I bought it.

Can’t wait to get home so I can go buy a saddle brown case.

The 11 pro is one slippery pickle.

I swear all new Apple products must use the same disinfectant/cleaner because my iPhone 11 pro is slippery as gently caress and so is my One True Case (Apple Saddle Brown Leather Case)
I can feel it on my fingertips after using it for not a long period of time

Also, obligatory One True Case 1yr old & new photo

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Back to the big phone life. Screen is good.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Pants Donkey posted:

Back to the big phone life. Screen is good.

I just went from iPhone XS Max to 11 Pro and I’m loving life. I can fit it in pockets without having regrets and honestly I barely notice the size difference outside of the keyboard and one hand use being easier

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Trip report from 7 Plus to 11:

Phone is very good.

Green is a great color, though I had the jet black 7+ and that will always be the best finish in my opinion.

Have to unlearn some 3D Touch things but yes, this is an amazing phone so far. The speed of Face ID is amazing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My sweet rear end brown leather gets here on Sunday so I gotta be carefullll for two days.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
New phone is great, just like the old phone but faster! I have two minor issues which aren't real problems but:

1. About half the time when I delete an e-mail it will load a blank page/email and say 'No Message Selected' and I have to swipe back to e-mail and then I can load another e-mail, delete that, and have the same issue.
- If I close all of my apps and just use the mail.app this goes away temporarily
- If I reboot it goes away temporarily
It does this on both my 8 Plus and 11 Pro so I figure it will go away with the update next week. Anyone else experience this?

2. I'm a poor so I signed up for monthly AppleCare+ coverage and when I go into Settings.app it says to Add AppleCare+ Coverage. I click in and sign in and it says my device is not eligible. When I check coverage by signing into apple.com it verifies my coverage. Is that normal for month-to-month AppleCare+ or something up with the OS?

Again, not problems. Just wondering what's up. FaceID seems so much faster than TouchID on iOS but on my work Android they're about the same speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there no way to show the battery percentage in the top without grabbing the corner?