Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Donald Trump
Ben Carson
Marco Rubio
Ted Cruz
Jeb! Bush
Carly Fiorina
John Kasich
Rand Paul
Chris Christie
Mike Huckabee
Bobby Jindal
Rick Santorum
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Three Olives posted:

OK can someone please explain to me how the fantasy football questions were so out of line?

Two multi-billion dollar unregulated gambling companies factually involved in major insider trading ethical issues in the millions of dollars backed by politically powerful business interests and...

Talking about fantasy football questions is so ridiculous, I won't even entertain it!

liberal media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mitt Romney posted:

How did Trump do?

Good: I'm really proud of my company, I've hired thousands of people and nobody on this stage can say that.

Bad: Spieled about China in response to TPP subject, was reminded by Rand f'n Paul that China isn't in the TPP and he just wasted his time.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ted Cruz is winner of the debate by virtue of recreating one of the most infamous primary political gaffes in American history and getting away with it scot-free.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Worse, trump even LOOKED stumped.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

God, the inevitable Clinton/Rubio debate is going to be something to watch. He's going to get absolutely destroyed.

Imagine every debate being like Biden v. Ryan.

I don't know if I can handle that.

memy posted:

From 538

How would this graph change if it counted "talking past the bell" as an interruption?

I'm guessing Fiorina would be way out in front.

Deep Hurting has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Nov 11, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also, is kasich more of a commie than sanders?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Baloogan posted:

Your Overton window is built on Groverhaus.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Hurting posted:

This overconfidence is how we got Obama/Romney Round 1.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

There's definitely a balance. Paul came off too sidelined without interpreting, but Kasich and Fiorinia seemed too aggressive.

Total Questions:
Kasich: 7
Trump: 11
Bush: 9
Rubio: 10
Cruz: 8
Carson: 12
Fiorina: 6
Paul: 9

Total Interruptions:
Kasich: 7
Trump: 2
Bush: 4
Rubio: 3
Cruz: 4
Carson: 0
Fiorina: 6
Paul: 1

Q:I Ratio:
Kasich: 1
Trump: 5.5
Bush: 2.25
Rubio: 3.33
Cruz: 2
Carson: SYS ERR
Fiorina: 1
Paul: 9

I'd say Cruz, Bush and Rubio had the right Q:I ratio.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Guys, Karl Rove thought Jeb won.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I still can't deal with Carson wanting to get rid of all deductions. What the gently caress kind of madness is this.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Deep Hurting posted:

Six hours of "proceed, senator"

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Montasque posted:

Are we sure he didn't mean that he thought W could still win the popular vote in 2000?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

How did Trump do?

Rove said Trump did well. Take that for what it's worth.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Montasque posted:

The Party won't let Jeb rest until they're good and through with him.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Montasque posted:

How did Trump do?

Rove said Trump did well. Take that for what it's worth.

I think he had a clear net positive night. He had two zingers laid on him but by weak candidates (not rubio, not cruz, not carson) and so they didn't matter at all.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Baloogan posted:

If Kasich was important enough to get more scrutiny, you'd all see that he's just a run-of-the-mill midwest conservative. He's got plenty in his closet to make him unelectable.

He's got to stand on a stage with insane people to appear normal and palatable.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Rexicon1 posted:

Your Overton window is built on Groverhaus.

cryptofascist

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I think he had a clear net positive night. He had two zingers laid on him but by weak candidates (not rubio, not cruz, not carson) and so they didn't matter at all.

Rand stump'ed him. Trump's entire popularity is based on his unstumpableness. His shield is down!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Rexicon1 posted:

I still can't deal with Carson wanting to get rid of all deductions. What the gently caress kind of madness is this.

well you see 10% is good enough for God so

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
The Trump CAN be stumped, that's the takeaway from tonight

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Montasque posted:

Rand stump'ed him. Trump's entire popularity is based on his unstumpableness. His shield is down!

I mean he didn't really. I think Trump can wheel around and say China should have been reeled in with a better trade plan or individual trade plan and that's what he meant, not that China was in the TPP.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
also why the gently caress are republicans all about welders all of a sudden

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Mitt Romney posted:

How did Trump do?

Good:
- Stumped Fiorina (The base doesn't really like uppity women, especially when they don't have a leg to stand on.)
- Embarassed Kasich, who came off as rude and rambling
- Reiterated that he's the strongest anti-immigrant guy out there and Jeb and Kasich, already looking weak as hell, had some half-hearted attacks on him that basically failed
- The most focused on CHINA

Bad:
- Looked genuinely stumped by Rand
- Recycling a lot of the same points, but I doubt that that matters too much. His current shtick is working pretty well.
- Stumpings were much less severe than usual. Sign of mercy?

Overall, not a bad performance but not great. I think Trump knows that he can get away with just saying the same old things until the field narrows down at which point he'll have to do some homework.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

spoon0042 posted:

Desperately trying to prove that something can melt steel beams.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

spoon0042 posted:

Because a welder's just about the only thing that could get Trump to shut his loving mouth,

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Joementum posted:

Desperately trying to prove that something can melt steel beams.

:chanpop:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The vocational stuff is probably the only thing I agree with any of this poop-people on.

Now let's talk about making vocational training not outrageously expensive and provide a decent wage and benefits for said workers.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

spoon0042 posted:

It's vague enough to not be the previous manufacturing jobs that used to be available as decent-paying jobs for high school graduates in the US until Republican-style policies were themselves responsible for continually driving everything to a race-to-the-bottom wage issue and thus outsourcing to the 3rd world.

The funny thing is, the whole "why do we stigmatize vocational training?" rhetorical question is actually easily answered by the fact that conservatives have for decades degraded its respectability by cutting their benefits and pay by denigrating unions, etc. So these manufacturing jobs were now "quickly-disappearing poor-people labor". Cultural stigma doesn't magically come from nowhere.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
DID TRUMP WIN

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The welder thing is random, but it's just "Plumber 3.0" for this cycle.

What I want to know is, what dazzlingly fabulous unicorn's rear end did they pull the goddamned gold standard from in TYOOL 2016?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

no...

Hillary won.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

The vocational stuff is probably the only thing I agree with any of this poop-people on.

Now let's talk about making vocational training not outrageously expensive and provide a decent wage and benefits for said workers.

Republicans will be doing none of those things. That's what makes the whole rhetorical exercise so bad; under the most minute scrutiny, it is their complete unwillingness to back competitive wages for workers at these jobs that their respectability went down the shitter. Tech work has, for now, replaced that field entirely and prettymuch sucked up all the investment and wealth instead. The US doesn't make things anymore, and a lot of it has to do with neoliberal economics.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Do It Once Right posted:

no...

Hillary won.

TRUMP

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Did anyone do an analysis of how often taxes were discussed tonight because holy poo poo it must have taken up 3/4 of the debate

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Neeksy posted:

It's vague enough to not be the previous manufacturing jobs that used to be available as decent-paying jobs for high school graduates in the US until Republican-style policies were themselves responsible for continually driving everything to a race-to-the-bottom wage issue and thus outsourcing to the 3rd world.

The funny thing is, the whole "why do we stigmatize vocational training?" rhetorical question is actually easily answered by the fact that conservatives have for decades degraded its respectability by cutting their benefits and pay by denigrating unions, etc. So these manufacturing jobs were now "quickly-disappearing poor-people labor". Cultural stigma doesn't magically come from nowhere.

maybe we should have like free community college or something, idk, just a crazy idea

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

nachos posted:

Did anyone do an analysis of how often taxes were discussed tonight because holy poo poo it must have taken up 3/4 of the debate

Taxes are spooky ghosts that at the same time destroy the world and devour the dreams of our youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

nachos posted:

Pretty sure they didn't change anything from their tax plans that have already been analyzed. Prettymuch all of them raise the deficit by trillions of dollars, some more than others.

I don't know how to quantify the "Let's just get rid of all taxes and abolish the IRS" plans, because they're not even worth putting math towards.

• Locked thread