Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Welsh rabbit is just cheese and toast.

Cheese made from the enslavement of animals. Close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yeah but they're alive, aren't they? When they sent Tom Paris to prison it was basically Club Med, so I'm sure farms are lovely for the animals too.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Fair enough.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 22, 2022

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

Essentially, yes. For some of them, like Tyrol, it works.

For some of them, like Ellen and Saul, it's mind numbingly weird and creates all sorts of continuity problems.

For others, like Anders and Tory, it's 'lol who cares' and 'lol this would have had more impact if it was Billy' respectively.

I guess one out of five isn't too bad?

BSG had no plans past New Caprica and then the writer's strike torpedoed their original, grittier plan. Everything just kind of... ended. It wasn't a bad ending by any means but it was just... an ending. Things finished in a way that was acceptable but slightly disappointing.

That, and a lot of people were pissed that they talked about angels and God and poo poo.

I got the impression that BSG's ending was the first inkling a lot of people had that angels and God and poo poo are typically unsatisfying answers to any questions

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

In the future, milk is obtained consensually by bestiality lactation fetishists, from uplifted cows.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Are they Betazoids?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Tighclops posted:

I got the impression that BSG's ending was the first inkling a lot of people had that angels and God and poo poo are typically unsatisfying answers to any questions

Maybe, but it was consistent throughout the show. Six says she's an angel as far back as the miniseries.

The problem is Battlestar removed any sense of ambiguity as the series went on. Was Baltar crazy? Did he have a chip in his head? Was he seeing an actual angel? Up until the end, the show kept things ambiguous. Much like Roslin's visions - was she actually a prophet, or was she just high on anti-cancer drugs?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Are they Betazoids?

Why haven't the Betazoids just taken over everything? Just like to gently caress too much.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Baronjutter posted:

Contemporary political issues and social commentary in MY scify?! Get this poo poo out trek!!!
This is why the new movies are awesome, they aren't trying to "say" anything or make me think about anything.

Social commentary and exploring the human condition is literally what Star Trek is about. This may come as a shock, but Star Trek isn't really a show about spaceships or hard science. It is a show about human beings on Earth, but frames its stories in a science fiction setting so they are easier to digest. They're morality plays in space.

Well, that's what TOS, TNG and DS9 are about anyway. VOY is a show about boring people doing technobabble space magic to fight space aliens. Voyager is the epitome of playing it safe and wasn't brave enough to make episodes with a message because it might offend potential viewers.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No it's a show about a lost spaceship are you sure you watched it?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I used to try to get a friend to watch Voyager. He called BJs slowneck so Janeway became "Captain Slowneck".

e: for non random content - Sisko is the man. We're going for all of DS9.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Milky Moor posted:

BSG had no plans past New Caprica and then the writer's strike torpedoed their original, grittier plan.

What was the original plan?

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Or maybe it's a psychological thing because they know that replicated stuff is made out of recycled poo poo.

That's kind of how the food cycle works though, but I could totally see some people not seeing that.

(although the TNG tech manual says that as long as they have enough foodstock aboard, they actually tend to not recycle the poo poo like that aboard ship, since it's more energy intensive)

criscodisco posted:

How? How could it possibly taste like poo poo unless you ordered a big bowl of poo poo, hot?

I'm sure if we cornered the writers who loved to bag on the replicator food, they'd admit to something along the lines of "well, we wanted to introduce flaws in this techno-utopian society" or "well, we wanted to make things more ~relatable~ for the audience, so we decided to make replicator food more like microwavable TV dinners, lol".

I think there's a plausible way to have both delicious replicator food and an appeal for hand-cooked food too, though, at least for starship crews. My idea is that when you order "beef steak, medium-rare" from the computer, it's going to give you the exact same medium-rare slab of beef every time. No surprise, no variation. Sure, you can add some spices to it, you can splash steak sauce or butter or ketchup if you want, but every time you're gonna get the same taste and consistency out of the meat itself. Why? Because even with 24th century computer technology, there's still a finite amount of space, and there are so many other dishes to include - and not just from Earth, but also from numerous other worlds in and out of the Federation - that it's not practical to store patterns for all the variations on the same dish, let alone several different preparations of the same option.

And, hell, maybe you got lucky and the pattern they used for mac and cheese is just perfectly aligned with your tastes - it's amazing, it's the best you've tasted, and you can't get enough; when you go back home you're going to s(ubspace)-mail yourself the ID code on that replicator pattern so that you can continue to enjoy it long after you're done with adventuring in Starfleet.

But maybe the tomato soup is just a little 'off'. You like tomato soup, though - always have - and so maybe you replicate the ingredients and set about making it yourself. Or maybe you just get bored and want to introduce more variety and uncertainty in your life.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Eddington describes the problem of replicated food perfectly. Why are you inventing new theories?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I've always sort of assumed the whole "always the same" thing about the replicators, but I'm the type that could eat a supreme pizza for dinner every night and be happy, even though I love trying new food.

My dad ate 2 Banquet chicken pot pies every day for lunch for 35 years :psyduck:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I vaguely recall an episode about Troi bitching to the computer about it always giving "perfect" chocolate sundaes or whatever.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
"THIS ICE CREAM IS TOO DELICIOUS I HATE MODERN TECHNOLOGY!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That was actually Troi telling Ryker that his PowerBeard was chafing her.

That whole scene is rife with oral undertones.

In the Enlightened and Uplifted federation, humanity always goes back for seconds.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
What is the IP/copyright on replicated food? I mean, what if you go into a little hole in the wall and you find that perfect mashed potatoes and gravy or chocolate cake. Could you take an order to go and throw it into the replicator scanner and have it all the time?

I could see something like there being people with private food thumbdrives that they maybe keep off the main computers. Their own private stock of food and drink that aren't a part of the official Starfleet menu loadout that they'll just let the replicators access for them specifically.

I mean, I don't think the replicators will let you order extinct food or food made from sentient life. Like you've got a hankering for dinosaur or whale? Or you want to consume some replicated human flesh? Drink the blood of your enemy all the time with every meal.

FilthyImp posted:

But if the replicator can't replicate a delicious sear, or burnt, then that explains how Poppa Sisko's Down Home Gumbo Shoppe and New Orleans Slop Shack is such a delicacy.

Everyone should have a little George Foreman grill in their quarters to slap their replicated meat on to fix that.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 21, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
In the pleasant bright federation future the one true currency is grey market food scans.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

What is the IP/copyright on replicated food? I mean, what if you go into a little hole in the wall and you find that perfect mashed potatoes and gravy or chocolate cake. Could you take an order to go and throw it into the replicator scanner and have it all the time?

I'm reading a book right now called Trekonomics and it makes a compelling case for "prestige" and "reputation" being the fundamental currency of the Federation.

So you wouldn't have to go to a brick and mortar location to get that specific chocolate cake because it would eagerly put it in the main database. And you wouldn't hide that chocolate cake file on a thumb drive, because having your name on that recipe as it is enjoyed by billions of satisfied citizens makes you wealthy in Federation society.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Like, I'm pretty sure the whole reason why people risk their lives and join Starfleet is because if they didn't, they would just be extremely bored and stay in the holodeck all day. Since you no longer have to work to survive, people work anyway because it's something to do.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FrensaGeran posted:

I'm reading a book right now called Trekonomics and it makes a compelling case for "prestige" and "reputation" being the fundamental currency of the Federation.

So you wouldn't have to go to a brick and mortar location to get that specific chocolate cake because it would eagerly put it in the main database. And you wouldn't hide that chocolate cake file on a thumb drive, because having your name on that recipe as it is enjoyed by billions of satisfied citizens makes you wealthy in Federation society.

Ah, yes. The "exposure" economy.

But seriously, that sounds like an interesting read.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
My favorite TNG episode was that one where they found the cryogenically frozen Americans from the 90's and they were all like b-b-b-b-but MY CAPITALISM.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Noctone posted:

My favorite TNG episode was that one where they found the cryogenically frozen Americans from the 90's and they were all like b-b-b-b-but MY CAPITALISM.

I just watched it and The Neutral Zone is indeed cool and good. Patrick Stewart activated Shakespeare-mode when he tore Gordon Gecko a new rear end in a top hat at the end.

Also Marc Alaimo.

Also portent of Q Who though I don't think it was intentional at the time cause they hadn't come up with the Borg yet.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

criscodisco posted:

They do show a morgue. There was the episode where that group of scientists were testing a device that let shuttles fly inside stars, and the guy died from star exposure. His body was in the morgue and Crusher wanted to autopsy him and Picard said "absolutely not it's against their religion" and Crusher was all "lol whatevs" and did it anyway.

Okay they have a morgue but they hardly ever go to space port or whatever. They are on like 5 year missions. They lose dozens of people.

And even if they did transport the bodies somewhere, what are they going to do with them? Does Rape Planet #37 Alpha have spare cemetery plots for Tasha Yar? What about when the Borg shoot space lasers and kill like 20 dudes at once? Crewman melted into the floor today, we totally cut her out and are storing her body and the chunk of floor plating she is fused with in the morgue!

They are recycling their corpses and eating them. Nobody talks about it because they are supposed to be above that kind of aversion (like being racist toward specific molecules or something) but they all still get the creeps when they notice an increase in their replicator rations after every major battle.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

"I'm sorry, we can only transport two people at once. The morgue was full so we're keeping some corpses in the transport buffer."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Every time they bump into another ship they start passing corpses back and forth based on where they're heading to. It's like free Prime shipping. It'll take a lot longer, but your body ends up going where it needs to.

That or you're dead, it doesn't matter. They disintergrate your corpse and back home Starfleet replicates an inert copy based on your transporter logs to pass off to the next of kin instantly, so they don't have to see that you were partially dissolved by a giant amoeba.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I assumed they gave everyone the ol photon torpedo burial at sea tradition thing, or something else if they're from some weird culture.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The space torpedo thing is a cover. To keep up morale within the Federation, the 'official' line is that every dead crewmember has been reassigned to a long-term, deep space assignment.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Fat Shat Sings posted:

also dead bodies. They never have space funerals like when they shot Spock into space and people die all the time.

Like, they never show a morgue.

So people are just eating all the dead redshirts all the time.
and Keiko's plankton stew that Miles dumps in the receptacle when she's not looking

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

strap the corpses to the hull of the ship and let space freeze dry them. rehydrate them at the nearest space station.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I assumed they gave everyone the ol photon torpedo burial at sea tradition thing, or something else if they're from some weird culture.

Yeah, that's what I always assumed, too. A ship isn't going to carry around a bunch of corpses, they're either going to cremate them or dump them out into space.

However I always assumed that they recycled poo poo into food, too. I mean, it makes sense. If they just flush their poo poo out into space, they're wasting some perfectly good poo poo they could use as fertilizer or replicator materials. Plus, how would you like to be flying in a shuttlecraft and have some space turd hit your windshield?

Of course, I mean, in that case, it makes logical sense to recycle dead crewmen into food too, but I'm pretty sure most Federation cultures would greatly frown upon that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So replicators need matter to do their stuff, but where do they get their matter from? Is there a central matter bank or does each replicator have its own storage? A series of matter pipes all over the ship? Or something super inefficient like beaming the matter to each replicator every time it needs a re-fill?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
They get put in torpedoes, alright. Their base atoms and molecules are broken down and reconstructed into energy and material for weapons.

"Mr. and Mrs. Jones. Starfleet regrets to inform you of your son's death, but is proud to say this biomatter was converted into materials for a photon torpedo which was instrumental in destroying an enemy ship."

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Gammatron 64 posted:

some space turd hit your windshield?

What was Neelix even doing out there

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Replicators create matter from energy, unless I'm misremembering canon.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Isn't that what shields are for? Giant Klingon space turds.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sten Freak posted:

Isn't that what shields are for? Giant Klingon space turds.

I believe you are thinking about navigational deflector dishes actually
:goonsay:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Noctone posted:

Replicators create matter from energy, unless I'm misremembering canon.

nah they use energy to manipulate existing matter. I assume they have big containers of boron or some dumbass thing that's easily available to beam from random space poo poo and then they use their infinite energy warp drives to manipulate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So the ships in trek use anti-matter to make tons and tons of power, which then drives everything else, but where do they get the anti-matter? Fuel doesn't really ever seem to be a problem for them, so I assume they just have decades worth of antimatter to fuel the ship? I guess that's why when a ship loses containment it really really blows. But in that case all the ships destroyed in those big tight starwars-esq DS9 battles should have wiped out every other ship nearby once their fuel went up. Unless they have some safe way of storing something that they can then turn into anti-matter safely and it's only the anti-matter currently "burning" in the core that is a danger?