Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Will I ever be able to buy any Soma? Or is it something I should hoard till the final boss?

Im sitting at the 3rd Palace boss, if I use my 1 Soma I can win.
You can get one in a later Palace, its location is fixed. Not gonna go into specifics so I don't spoil things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ah that reminds me, how do I get my free items and skill cards from the dlc?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Will I ever be able to buy any Soma? Or is it something I should hoard till the final boss?

Im sitting at the 3rd Palace boss, if I use my 1 Soma I can win.

If it's from the dlc, I'm pretty sure most people recommend just selling it early on to buy the best equipment for the first dungeon

So basically, use it whenever you want it really doesn't matter much.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fulchrum posted:

Ah that reminds me, how do I get my free items and skill cards from the dlc?

In your room, check the shelf you put your suitcase on.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ah, I mistook Tae as the Devil arcana so now I'm behind on my S. Link with her. :negative:

...oh well, I'll just have to use one of those movie days late into the guide to catch up.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Pro Tip: Even after you complete all the Trials of the Burgers you can still repeat the challenge anyways as often as you like. You still get 3 Guts points as well as a free 10 Big Bang Burgers. They're only like 30 HP heals but hey you get them for 500 yen (if done at night).

Also I love the meta commentary this presents.

"Wow you didn't even flinch at that dude how did you get so ballsy?"

"...I ate a lot of giant hamburgers."

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Aw man, maxing Sun is surprisingly heartfelt. I'm into it, Yoshida you're my boy.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I think Sun and Temperance are my favorite confidants. Their storylines are just incredibly bold. I barely remember those links from P3 or P4. P3 Sun was the dying artist I think?

Now that I'm near max rank for most confidants, I think it's safe to say this is my favorite set ever. There are a few clunkers, like Ann, but all of the rest have something interesting to say about the person and society.

The Mementos mechanics also make me feel way more involved in them.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Saagonsa posted:

If it's from the dlc, I'm pretty sure most people recommend just selling it early on to buy the best equipment for the first dungeon

So basically, use it whenever you want it really doesn't matter much.

I ended up using it and died anyway, had to restart the boss fight. :doh:

But on the bright side it was much easier my 2nd try since I realized (Palace 3 Boss) you can target the boss on the giant piggy bank without Morgana telling you first.

So I beat it and didn't have to use my precious soma.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Am I the only one who, after staring at the loading screen for long enough, starts thinking up the sick Phantom Thief memes that would exist in this world

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
poo poo, I just finished Palace 2. I'm way behind everyone else. Loving the game, though!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

brainwrinkle posted:

I think Sun and Temperance are my favorite confidants. Their storylines are just incredibly bold. I barely remember those links from P3 or P4. P3 Sun was the dying artist I think?

Now that I'm near max rank for most confidants, I think it's safe to say this is my favorite set ever. There are a few clunkers, like Ann, but all of the rest have something interesting to say about the person and society.

The Mementos mechanics also make me feel way more involved in them.

Sun in P3 is so effing sad and wonderful.

Sun in P4 is bad.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Sun in P3 is so effing sad and wonderful.

Sun in P4 is bad.

Depends which Sun you choose.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Aw man, maxing Sun is surprisingly heartfelt. I'm into it, Yoshida you're my boy.

yoshida 2020 TORA TORA TORA

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Finally got to name my troupe. Team "Sin Eaters" is a go.

Game's great and the translation really did shake off its stiffness but I get the feeling these vast gulfs of PLOOOOOT are really going to chew up time I need to actually do stuff.

e: I'm also loving how proactive the group is compared to P3 and P4. There, you were waiting for someone to get in trouble so you can save them. But the Thieves are literally sitting around a table and going "okay, who do we gently caress up next?"

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

Finally got to name my troupe. Team "Sin Eaters" is a go.

Game's great and the translation really did shake off its stiffness but I get the feeling these vast gulfs of PLOOOOOT are really going to chew up time I need to actually do stuff.

Mine are the Diamond Dogs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Pro Tip: Even after you complete all the Trials of the Burgers you can still repeat the challenge anyways as often as you like. You still get 3 Guts points as well as a free 10 Big Bang Burgers. They're only like 30 HP heals but hey you get them for 500 yen (if done at night).

Also I love the meta commentary this presents.

"Wow you didn't even flinch at that dude how did you get so ballsy?"

"...I ate a lot of giant hamburgers."

"Wow you sure are charismatic and just kinda all around nice to be around."

"Why yes, I take weekly baths with the elderly."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

<- is 40 hours into this game
<- is in the run up to the 4th dungeon
<- only just discovered Takemi sells accessories
<- is a giant moron

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Hahaha, Chihaya is not subtle at all

"Do you like older women?"
"Hell yeah I do"

Still not gonna date ya tho

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Immediately after dedicating a shitton of time to reading all the contents of my bulging burlap sack of books, I found the one that lets you read them at x2 speed. :eng99:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Okay but really I'm a dad. is probably the hardest I've laughed at any joke in a video game ever

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

Okay but really I'm a dad. is probably the hardest I've laughed at any joke in a video game ever
You and me both brother

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I had to step down from merciless on the boss of the second palace. I just couldn't manage it. The first palace's boss was very hard, but still manageable. The second palace itself was easier than the first palace, but that boss is really rough. The lack of money and exp makes it all the tougher. I was only level 14, and that was after a nontrivial amount of grinding. I turned down the difficulty, and easily turned him inside out. The difference was immense. Still a hollow victory though. I was really hoping to just be able to plow through to the third dungeon, to put the SP regen accessories to good use and allow for easier grinding.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

JT Jag posted:

<- is a giant moron

She doesn't sell the accessories until you're Death Rank 5 with her I think.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SADAYO MADE ME TAIYAKI

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Mine are the Diamond Dogs.

I went with Rene By Day. Its the only aspect of the story that the game is unlikely to reference, and it even fits thematically.

JT Jag posted:

<- is a giant moron

I was unsure if I was grinding way too excessively or not. I'm at 50 hours and just beat the second. I think I answered the question.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I named my club No Ryujis

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Saagonsa posted:

really the writers saw the jokes about people loving 'completely insane/rear end in a top hat protag' as an option in 4 and went with it this game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fulchrum posted:

I was unsure if I was grinding way too excessively or not. I'm at 50 hours and just beat the second. I think I answered the question.

How do you manage this without both getting excessively bored and running out of SP?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

What's better: Makoto's red eyes or Futaba's purple eyes

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bewilderment posted:

How do you manage this without both getting excessively bored and running out of SP?

There's a lot of shadows you can kill in one turn if you get the drop on them and just use melee. If you pick your targets right so you leave just the ones who apply buffs, you can not use anything.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Fulchrum posted:

I went with Rene By Day. Its the only aspect of the story that the game is unlikely to reference, and it even fits thematically.

How?

I'm at 24 hours and I'm getting close to unlocking the 3rd dungeon.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I keep thinking about Shadow Kamoshida's conversation artwork. It's such a good :smug: face.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

FauxLeather posted:

Immediately after dedicating a shitton of time to reading all the contents of my bulging burlap sack of books, I found the one that lets you read them at x2 speed. :eng99:

That one is a total troll book, doesn't it require you to read all the Jinbocho books first?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Infinity Gaia posted:

That one is a total troll book, doesn't it require you to read all the Jinbocho books first?

Yeah, I saved those for last especially, because they each take three sittings to get through. I'm fuming.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finally have best boy on my time, hallelujah.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Game, why the heck did you give me Kindness for the S.Link that REQUIRED MAX KINDNESS?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Baal posted:

I finally have best boy on my time, hallelujah.

weird I figured you already would have been to Yusuke's part...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I removed Yusuke from my team as soon as I got Goro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I rolled a fusion failure, and now I am extremely terrified of Caroline and Justine