Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

e: I just noticed that the title that appears in the comic isn't even the same on header on the left.
That's more in line with the true spirit of SBaHJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Rorus Raz posted:

That's more in line with the true spirit of SBaHJ

I like that they also have the wrong color shirts on.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Really digging the gradient hair-to-skin coloring too. KC's SBaHJ aren't quite there just yet, but I do think he's improving (unproving?) at them.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess we can give it the treatment. I can't exactly remember the Hussie Approved Method for making GBS threads up SBaHJ, but here you go.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Rorus Raz posted:

I guess we can give it the treatment. I can't exactly remember the Hussie Approved Method for making GBS threads up SBaHJ, but here you go.

Hussie does something with jpeg artifacts but this is neat, it looks like a scan from an ad in a 80's-90's comic book (it helps that green's sb and hj look like one of the numerous ren and stimpy rip offs from the 90's...)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He reduces the quality to 0 along with another thing or two, but then screenshots his desktop, pastes it, and does it until he gets that proper look.

KC Green could do something though.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Andrew, 27 September 2014 posted:

Giga-Almost-Unpause, Probably.

Let's see if I can "tldr" a few things up top, since this news item might begin to nose dive dramatically through the vertical space of this web layout. Am I finished HS yet? Um, nope. But I think enough is probably enough on the site's indefinite period of hibernation, so it's likely I will just start posting some stuff I have anyway, starting next month. Either mid or late October, let's say.

I said it would be a long pause, didn't I? Let's face it, a gigapause is just one big rear end pause. It contains the smaller word "giga", which, in addition to literally meaning "one billion", you will find to be the root of the word "gigantic", which as we all know, means super huge. This intriguing fact reminds us that in our culture of words, we hold the number one billion as the indivisible quantum of general bigness, as a matter of principal. Food for thought!

We're coming up on almost a year since I paused. So that means I got like, SO much done on the story, right? Wow, no. Innumerable unspecified problems happened which badly prevented this from being true. I'd estimate out of those 12 months, I maybe squeezed in a grand total of 3 months worth of work on HS in there. Kinda dribbled across the year in the most frustrating way possible. So, I'm just gonna cry uncle on this dogshit pause and start posting stuff, but probably in a regimented way so I don't blow through everything I have too fast, thus giving me some time to work on the rest.

Back at the onset of the pause, I said I'd just post everything at once. (I was oversimplifying. I had always intended to stagger the final content to whatever extent, so as not to destroy the server.) But also that "post everything at once" idea was predicated on actually sorta... having it all done. Which as I have already culpa'd, is not the case. So I'm improvising at this point. I'll (probably) relaunch the story next month, come up with some kind of update schedule, and we'll see how it goes.

What have I been doing all year? Let's chalk it up to, in this order of relevance, a swirling multitude of Daunting Life Challenges, a flurry of accidental weird adventures causing me to thrash wildly across the nation, and the escalating complexities of running a business while tending to peripheral creative projects, not the least of which has been overseeing the development of an expensive video game. Actually, all things considered, I'm surprised at how much I actually HAVE gotten done this year. It just happens that "making a ton of HS pages" isn't one of those things.

What were the problems? What were the adventures? Sorry, nothing to see here. Me and the General Public just aren't that tight, and wild sob stories ain't my bag (unless they pertain to visits to the Olive Garden). Well, maybe I'll mention some things some day. But definitely nowhere in the proximity of a virtual stage adjacent to the sphere of rhetoric which could conceivably be construed as a series of excuses for why a mammoth load of free entertainment hasn't been finished yet. Did you follow that? Look over there. (When you look back at me, I am slowly rolling into a pile of trash.)

The good news is, I'm still all about horses. Did you know that about me? It's true as poo poo. Horses; wow. Pretty good weird big animals? Or pretty GREAT weird big animals??

What else should I say here. Oh.

We've also been chipping away at upgrading the server over the last year. It's been surprisingly complicated and slow-going. Actually, prior to the pause, it was one of the most difficult things about updating, having an insufficient server that was GUARANTEED to crash every time I posted something. This was even after many, many upgrades over the years. It gets a little demoralizing trying to make tons of cartoons every day for a small nation of lunatics when the server constantly struggles to keep up with the ever-burgeoning readership, no matter how much I upgraded it. This was one of the (lots of) factors which contributed to me finally just saying, gently caress it, time to pause.

Hopefully it can handle it now, but guess we'll see. It all runs on fancy clouds and such now. Which has been tricky to configure for such a complicated site utterly dependent on all the garbage rear end-backwards code I've written over the years. Maybe... maybe once I start updating again, nobody will notice?? Man, wouldn't that be sweet. It will just be me and like a cozy little clique of 50 randos and 10 web bots, just like the old days. We'll bring this sucker home together, then hit up the local bargain Italian restaurant to celebrate. (Then a horse nuzzles me out of my sleepy dream fantasy, and the hammock flips over and dumps my screaming body on to the lawn.)

Feels a little odd even TALKING about revving up this monstrosity again. It's been pretty serene on the web these days. I've been reluctant to even drop a pebble into the pristine glass-like state of the fandom, before being good and drat well ready to. Why wake the beast prematurely? We'll enjoy more than our share of blistering pandemonium when all is said and done. We are slowly building to a particular moment I foresee on the horizon. It's not just characterized by the end of the story, though that should be a factor. It's more than that. Things I have planned, and some other things we'll say may be fortuitously aligned. Invisible pieces of a heinous machine all snapping together, mechanically congealing with a grim sense of purpose. I'm tentatively branding to this moment as The Rapture, and it will be more than you can bear. More than anyone can. And everyone won't.

How has your year been?

well, the end is nigh

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

What I'd expect to see here is some joke about the image on the shirt getting shittier and more artifacty over time. But since KC Green is completely oblivious to that aspect of SBAHJ I'm not sure what'll happen instead

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

What I'd expect to see here is some joke about the image on the shirt getting shittier and more artifacty over time. But since KC Green is completely oblivious to that aspect of SBAHJ I'm not sure what'll happen instead

The shirt will pull a more and more silly face

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

Apparently it will be played completely loving straight just like the novel.

Whoever said it is right: I think he really does take these things at face value.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I sincerely hope there will be more Doctor Who references this time around.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

how the gently caress does someone not get sbahj so much

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Maybe not getting SBaHJ is the manner in which KC Green is recreating their terribleness? Instead of doing a good job of emulating the art style and writing he's getting it all wrong, which is a way of keeping with the comic being deliberately sloppy. At least, if I were him that's what I'd claim retroactively.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Dolash posted:

Maybe not getting SBaHJ is the manner in which KC Green is recreating their terribleness? Instead of doing a good job of emulating the art style and writing he's getting it all wrong, which is a way of keeping with the comic being deliberately sloppy. At least, if I were him that's what I'd claim retroactively.

Or maybe he's just writing it like a normal comic instead of a purposely bad one.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can we really know what is in kc green's mind/heart/brainmeats

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mostly i just wanted to use the word brainmeats

good night, friends

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Dolash posted:

I'd been wondering the same thing. I think it's approaching the point where only a Strider could know for sure.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
If you guys keep whining about good comic artists I'll have to make another schizophrenic post so watch out. (I think I compared it to Ulysses before that pbs video BTW. So cool.)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Under the vegetable posted:

If you guys keep whining about good comic artists

Don't worry this hasn't happened yet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

KC Green is good, but his recent stuff has had some odd priorities, giving a lot of attention to relatively esoteric themes while leaving the comedic elements perfunctory or leaning heavily on metahumor to carry the jokes. He's getting avant-garde in a way that risks leaving his audience behind.

With Paradox Space, it's plain that Green's Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff is not attempting to be like Hussie's. He seems to be using the aesthetic of shittiness to explore what a comic can be when freed from nearly all formal prescription, which was certainly an element of the original SBaHJ, if not the one that defined the project or the one that struck readers most powerfully. I think that one element isn't enough to support it on its own, though; the original version is far richer not just because it's shittier, not just because it's a more plausible facetious satire, not just because of the enormous paratext describing the fictional circumstances of its creation, but because all those things together give it more directions for its jokes to swerve in.

However, Hussie likes Green's interpretation, likely because it expands on one of its more underdeveloped and profound aspects, namely formal transgressions. His work is characterized by formal experimentation, so it's understandable that this outlook would appeal to him.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I feel like the content of Green's SBAHJ is fine but he doesn't go the distance to make it even shittier when he's done making the comics, so instead of something closer to the original we get something that hits all the notes of "a comic that is pretty bad, but ironically" without all the effort to make that irony wrap it back around to funny.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bongo Bill posted:

KC Green is good, but his recent stuff has had some odd priorities, giving a lot of attention to relatively esoteric themes while leaving the comedic elements perfunctory or leaning heavily on metahumor to carry the jokes. He's getting avant-garde in a way that risks leaving his audience behind.

With Paradox Space, it's plain that Green's Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff is not attempting to be like Hussie's. He seems to be using the aesthetic of shittiness to explore what a comic can be when freed from nearly all formal prescription, which was certainly an element of the original SBaHJ, if not the one that defined the project or the one that struck readers most powerfully. I think that one element isn't enough to support it on its own, though; the original version is far richer not just because it's shittier, not just because it's a more plausible facetious satire, not just because of the enormous paratext describing the fictional circumstances of its creation, but because all those things together give it more directions for its jokes to swerve in.

However, Hussie likes Green's interpretation, likely because it expands on one of its more underdeveloped and profound aspects, namely formal transgressions. His work is characterized by formal experimentation, so it's understandable that this outlook would appeal to him.

He's not avant garde at all.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think he's just depressed or something, whateves

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Bongo Bill posted:

I think the issue is that if you corrected the spelling errors and changed the two leads' faces it would be virtually indistinguishable from gunshow.

I like gunshow, and I like SBAHJ, but I like each for different reasons. Chocolate and Peanut Butter they ain't.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
KC Green shows off his deep knowledge of the SBAHJ canon by inserting a cameo appearance of a cult favorite SBAHJ character, the squirrel. That's loving awesome, imo

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I kinda hope we see some new music soon. I really like some of the stuff that's been produced for Homestuck, but I didn't really like Cherubim.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
gamzee is the best and I hope he kills kanaya

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Gamzee is interesting because I'm like 99% sure Hussie is intentionally writing the character by not making up a plan for him and just having him do whatever and coming up with the explanation after the fact.

I'd still take Kanaya over him, though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

gamzee is the best and I hope he kills kanaya

Tavros is the best I hope he kills Hitler.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
kanaya is boring

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
e: ^^^boring like Philip Rivers in a bolo!!!
e2: wait that is boring. poo poo

somehow that was worse than i expected.

well done kay cee green. well done.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 3, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Rorus Raz posted:

I can't exactly remember the Hussie Approved Method for making GBS threads up SBaHJ, but here you go.

What is the exact method? If I were to ask the fandom, they'd probably make fun of me for being unable to find the relevant obscure long-deleted Formspring post that's only archived in one deeply-buried forum post, and their link to it would probably be to a tinyurl for a shock image.

Here's an image I once made with multiple layers of saving as a lovely JPEG, minus any of the other mysterious secret steps Hussie may have used.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Presumably he saves it as a jpg with the lowest quality, copies it into the same document, repeats until it looks appropriately Sweet Bro and Hella Jeffy. Maybe throws in a few sharpen filters and resizing with nearest neighbor filtering.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Martini Mice-Cream posted:

The news post seemed like he was full of frustration on how this hiatus turned out. I wonder if he lost any enthusiasm in trying to finish this comic and is he going to end up power rushing through it with the possible consequence of it having unanswered questions about certain plot points and an unsatisfying conclusion?

He could easily clear up those plot points in books and such that the fans would have to pay for. They would call him a maggoty oval office... while buying them.

Leaving fans haing about something forever and ever would be a bad idea for what may have been the reason that Hussie didn't reveal the problems that kept him from working on Homestuck: the fans would take action. I think they are entirely likely to do something really horrible and lovely if something got them upset en masse.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Dude, it's a bunch of people with grey paint of their faces, not the mafia.

Martini Mice-Cream
Feb 17, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Dude, it's a bunch of people with grey paint of their faces, not the mafia.

I think you underestimate how crazy some fans can be, even if they just happen to like Homestuck.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Martini Mice-Cream posted:

I think you underestimate how crazy some fans can be, even if they just happen to like Homestuck.

Especially if they just happen to like Homestuck.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Presumably he saves it as a jpg with the lowest quality, copies it into the same document, repeats until it looks appropriately Sweet Bro and Hella Jeffy. Maybe throws in a few sharpen filters and resizing with nearest neighbor filtering.
When he goes to save it, instead of saving it, he just sets it to the lowest quality and takes a screenshot of his desktop and then cancels the save and pastes that and cuts out the comic. Repeat until proper "quality."

Trust me, I tried just saving an image at the lowest quality over and over, and you quickly hit a ceiling on how lovely it gets. Hussie really does put a lot of effort into making SBaHJ look low-effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

In my dream, Hussie is just letting KC do sbahj out of pity and doesn't have it in his heart to tell him, to his face, how bad it was. It's that.