Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Donnerberg posted:

We're still waiting for the Internet to freak out about another Overwatch thing.

Ain't they freaking about the new Monkey character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
A new monkey irritates me, because while I don't mind Winston all that much, I hate all other great apes aside from Orangutans and Baboons.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

RCarr posted:

This thread desperately needs a title change.

"Stop punching me in the moonbase you loving scientist"?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm like 95% certain there's not going to be another monkey character

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Do many people actually care about those Loot Box things? I got like 30 of them unopened.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why not just open them then

the contents are determined when you get the box so there's no point in sitting on them

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Yaws posted:

Do many people actually care about those Loot Box things? I got like 30 of them unopened.

nah people don't care about loot boxes

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i'm like 95% certain there's not going to be another monkey character
That's the same certainty I had that the zarya, bastion and 76 skins were a practical joke and a dig at OW knockoffs. Then they released them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

wit posted:

That's the same certainty I had that the zarya, bastion and 76 skins were a practical joke and a dig at OW knockoffs. Then they released them.

Bastion skin is cool and does not belong in this list :mad:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one look at the heroes of the storm skins for the overwatch heroes will tell you that it's never a joke

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
zarya skin is good and cool

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

IronicDongz posted:

zarya skin is good and cool

It's the number one clown suit in the game.

So it all comes down to your preference in clowns.

Overwatch: stop stepping on my clown shoes you loving mime

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 17, 2017

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

It's the number one clown suit in the game.

So it all comes down to your preference in clowns.

Overwatch: stop stepping on my clown shoes you loving mime

I reckon Sombra would make an excellent mime. I know its bastion's gimmick, but a mime fits her style of play; prancing around behind people silently, playing with invisible poo poo and being really annoying.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

wit posted:

I reckon Sombra would make an excellent mime. I know its bastion's gimmick, but a mime fits her style of play; prancing around behind people silently, playing with invisible poo poo and being really annoying.

And accomplishing nothing useful.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Maple Leaf posted:

re: Orisa is a bad character:

A while back I posted a guide on Orisa in the Tryhard thread. I've collectively put in close to 100 hours on the goofy robo-cow-cop (and you can tell she's a cow and not a horse because she has horns) so I like to think I at least know half the poo poo I'm saying, even if I'm just a lowly Diamond.

tl;dr, though, the most attractive parts about Orisa is that, while her weapon isn't as strong as Soldier's, her shield isn't as strong as Reinhardt's, and her HP isn't as large as D.Va's, she's one of the only characters that has the flexibility to do all of their jobs, even if she's not as good as having the real thing. No, her shield isn't as good as Reinhardt's, but it's not supposed to be, and if it were, there would be no reason to pick Reinhardt. No, Halt isn't as good as Graviton Surge, but it's an ability with an eight-second cooldown and Graviton Surge is a once-per-push Ultimate. You shouldn't judge Orisa on her individual parts against other characters because they aren't supposed to stack up; you should be judging her as a whole.

I'm not trying to convince Orisa is the best character in the game, far from it, and she gets absolutely buttblasted by Tracer and Genji. I'm just trying to convince people that she's not useless.

WIth the recent tuning buff, blocking straight damage her shield is actually better than Rein's as you don't need to hide around a corner for your shield to recharge. You also use the shield as a longer range Winston bubble to isolate an Ana from healing her teammates. I've also managed to save a few people with hooks and block Earthshatters with the shield but those are like a once every 5 or 6 games type thing. Then again I might just be poo poo :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bolow posted:

WIth the recent tuning buff, blocking straight damage her shield is actually better than Rein's as you don't need to hide around a corner for your shield to recharge. You also use the shield as a longer range Winston bubble to isolate an Ana from healing her teammates. I've also managed to save a few people with hooks and block Earthshatters with the shield but those are like a once every 5 or 6 games type thing. Then again I might just be poo poo :v:

Nah, it's actually real tricky to reactively block an earthshatter with Orisa's shield because it has more delay than Rein's in coming up, you have the projectile launch and then there's a very brief bit where it's "unfurling" after it hits the ground where it won't block the shatter either, so your timing has to be incredibly, almost predictively, precise to pull it off.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

wit posted:

BEEN HERE ALL ALONG

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Nah, it's actually real tricky to reactively block an earthshatter with Orisa's shield because it has more delay than Rein's in coming up, you have the projectile launch and then there's a very brief bit where it's "unfurling" after it hits the ground where it won't block the shatter either, so your timing has to be incredibly, almost predictively, precise to pull it off.

It's not that much different from the standard Rein-games you have to play when playing him trying to bait out the shatter. 90% of Earthshatters are about as subtle as a Reaper wraith forming into the middle of 6 people when it comes to telegraphing them. The main problem is the shield cooldown, that and I'm usually focusing on other people that aren't the Rein because my in-game play generally doesn't have me worrying about having to counter play him in a significant manner.

Roadhog hook on the other hand basically requires you to position the shield perfectly and see the Roadhog in the process of throwing the hook to actually block it.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I've been having a lot of fun on solo comping this weekend, maybe the novelty factor of the brawls has either chilled out or occupied the angry shitheels because they seem a little more spread out.

I'm also calling this a feature not a bug, but muting team chat just shuts them up, seems I can still type things at them without having to read their replies as people will respond to me on mic when I forget and type at them.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Kokoro Wish posted:

A new monkey irritates me, because while I don't mind Winston all that much, I hate all other great apes aside from Orangutans and Baboons.

I hate every ape I see from Chimpan-A to Chimpanzee.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I will say that the recent buff to Orisa's shield cooldown is a pretty big deal; since when aggressively deployinga the shield, I find that the cooldown is over more often than not as the shield is about to break. If it breaks well before my cooldown is up, I Fortify and try to get to cover so I don't get CC'd or otherwise picked before I get away.

She's easily my favorite hero right now, so I'm clearly biased about her relative power, and even still I do think she's still on a weak side. I agree that she's a jack-of-all-trades hero, which in a competitive setting, is not necessarily a desirable identity.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I just wish that the m1 was hitscan

everything else in orissa's kit is fun

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I started playing OW again (hadn't played since Orisa was added) and I honestly didn't get the impression she's weak at all. It's kinda funny because when I wasn't playing I saw complaints she was too strong but maybe that was an earlier version of the hero.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I started playing OW again (hadn't played since Orisa was added) and I honestly didn't get the impression she's weak at all. It's kinda funny because when I wasn't playing I saw complaints she was too strong but maybe that was an earlier version of the hero.

Pros: Can keep a shield at least as often as Rein, has a decent ult if your team can take advantage of it, can get some heckin' boops
Cons: Melts like an ice cube in a blast furnace to even a marginally competent team with flankers, deals a laughably poor amount of damage, is fully boned if the enemy team "attacks from two directions at once", one of the slowest things in the game

Overall: Situational but usable

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

To be honest I feel like "the hero people use if rein is needed but no one wants to play rein" is a perfectly ok place for a hero to be in. Plenty of people including me just don't find rein fun, but now if I'm in a game that clearly needs a tank I have one that I can play that I actually enjoy playing. It might not get her anywhere in high level comp where people are chasing the best meta but most of us aren't those people.

Not that I'll object if her damage or her ult gets a nice boost, mind you.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Orisa's the first tank who can create barriers AND has a ranged weapon, which is legitimately nice to have in the roster. I'm not real big on melee-range fighting in an FPS, so when my team wants/needs a shield tank I like having an option that can do the shooty shooty pow pow and such.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I wonder if Orisa would actually be good if she was hitscan. She'd certainly be decent, at least.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I like Orisa for point defense. Rein is better for pushing but it's nice to have someone who can shield the choke whose offensive contributions, while modest, don't depend on charging out of position.

It's not like Rein is substantially less boned if he comes under fire from multiple directions either. Even in the best case scenarios you've effectively taken his shield out of the picture as he switches to melee or retreats to a more defensible position.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Theta Zero posted:

I wonder if Orisa would actually be good if she was hitscan. She'd certainly be decent, at least.

With the damage and RoF she has now, she'd be pretty nuts.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

She'd suddenly become loving great. Flankers are her biggest weakness and she'd get a huge benefit against them by switching to hitscan.

E: at my poo poo low plat/high gold tier.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jeza posted:

With the damage and RoF she has now, she'd be pretty nuts.

orisa has the lowest dps in the game so idk about that. she'll be able to finish kills a lot easier tho; I have people with a sliver of health round a corner all the time when I'm orisa and hitscan would help with that

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

She'd be OP as poo poo with a hitscan weapon. They'd probably need to take another 50 rounds out of the magazine and give her McCree levels of fall off damage before that even remotely approached the same post code as balanced.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Manatee Cannon posted:

orisa has the lowest dps in the game so idk about that. she'll be able to finish kills a lot easier tho; I have people with a sliver of health round a corner all the time when I'm orisa and hitscan would help with that

Consider it like this:

Orisa has 132 DPS at all ranges with no falloff, and 150 bullets in a clip.

Soldier:76 has, with zero falloff, 167 DPS with 25 bullets in a clip. Obviously with falloff that drops off pretty precipitously.

Plus her spread is fairly tight and never increases.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

soldier was one of the worst heroes in overwatch when he had like 2 less damage than he does right now

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Make it hitscan but with a damage ramp up time and spread ramp down time. So if she can hold LMB for like 8 whole seconds she gets a murder beam but otherwise it's completely worse than it is now. Less peakaboo and more rambo.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

soldier was one of the worst heroes in overwatch when he had like 2 less damage than he does right now

2 less damage per bullet. That drops his dps from just shy of 167 dps to 149 dps, and before the recent minor nerf it was 175dps. That's a big goddamn jump, not even factoring headshots.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

per bullet is what I meant, yea

don't get me wrong, orisa'd see a huge jump if they made her histcan and changed nothing else, but people are way overstating it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think they'll ever make a rapidfire hitscan weapon with no damage falloff.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

what is sombras dps? it has to be lower than orisa's right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's 160, so quite a bit higher. It does have falloff though.