Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

^^ this is pretty hilarious because I am someone who the navy desires due to my schooling and they wanted me to do a direct commission thing and then the second they learned I have ADHD they backpedaled so hard and basically told me there's no way I would ever be allowed in any military branch.

Yeah, it's weird. There are a lot of things that prevent you from enlisting that don't result in a discharge if they come up after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Been diagnosed while in the military. The only thing that is affecting my career is that if im being deployed, I need extra screening before being deployed.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Goddamn posted:

Huh, same here. Gave me a lot of trouble in beginner piano lessons whenever the book had a simplified version of e.g. some bit of Mozart that hosed with the timing or melody. And I still find it hard to think/speak in terms of "that's a G note, that's a C note..." - I know which one I'm talking about, but I have trouble associating it to a label.

Another thing that I wonder if it's related - I have an extremely hard time with peoples' names, even though I'll easily remember plenty of other minor details about them. Which sucks because people assume if you don't remember their name you just don't remember them. Lots of awkward "Heeey... it's you! How have you been?" Anyone else get that?

I think it has to do with a name not being a "real" piece of information. It's just a sound, not anything that anyone is or does or tangibly has. And it's not even a consistent attribute - "Mike" isn't a group of people that have anything to do with each other, as opposed to "likes hockey" or "teaches math". Not to sound like I don't understand why people use names, I'm just wondering how my brain works.

If I'm trading phone numbers with someone whose name I've forgotten (pretty loving likely) I'll either ask them to type in their name and number themselves or ask them "So what name should I put you down as?" so I can avoid people thinking I don't care about them because I don't remember their names, like, in case they might have an alternate spelling or something. Of course if it's a straightforward name like Mike or whatever I'm hosed but it hasn't backfired on me yet... I hope it isn't transparent but I'm trying to cope, man.

I also have no memory for faces, I mostly go by hair, build and clothing style. Someone changes their look and I'm totally lost.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

I'm really loving tired of feeling like an idiot, guys

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

If I'm trading phone numbers with someone whose name I've forgotten (pretty loving likely) I'll either ask them to type in their name and number themselves or ask them "So what name should I put you down as?" so I can avoid people thinking I don't care about them because I don't remember their names, like, in case they might have an alternate spelling or something. Of course if it's a straightforward name like Mike or whatever I'm hosed but it hasn't backfired on me yet... I hope it isn't transparent but I'm trying to cope, man.

I also have no memory for faces, I mostly go by hair, build and clothing style. Someone changes their look and I'm totally lost.

I do this exact same thing and it really works. It's never let me down yet!

I also have just about no memory for people's faces. Once, my best friend shaved his head, and came up to me on the street and started talking to me. We had a five minute conversation. I thought it was just some random guy being friendly the whole time. I misidentify people all the time and it makes me feel like such an idiot. It happens equally between people of different races but I always feel like a complete rear end when I mix up people from other races. I feel like a walking stereotype of "thinks people from other races looks the same." I swear, I don't think that, I just think that everyone looks the same. :v: Just the other day, I was at an event advertising for a student org I'm in. This Chinese girl comes up to me who is in the same organization as me and tries to talk to me because we know each other. I totally fail to recognize her and tried to advertise the group to her. She got so annoyed, and I felt so terrible and racist.

Fluorescent fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 12, 2014

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

So I'm back ashore and I tried scheduling a follow-up. The only real problem I have with Adderall is that I have a reasonably high metabolism so I burn through the XR in like 4 hours. I just wanted something a little more effective, I'm not jonesing for more amphetamines. The doc told me a lot of his patients take two 20-30 XR daily which seemed like an alarmingly high dose.

Maybe I'm wrong though, I'm new to this poo poo.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

Have you been diagnosed for it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

I also have this problem.
When I was younger it wasn't really important and I didn't even realize it, because I didn't meet a lot of people.
But these days I meet so many new people and I really have to focus on remembering their faces and names.
It also doesn't help that I meet a lot of these people at concerts and clubs.
Although it's a good excuse the next time if they discover you don't remember them.
I just say the music was so loud, blablabla...

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheBigBad posted:

It happens to everyone. We are not particularly special in this way.

I honestly get this impression from a LOT of the things people are posting.

BUT! I do have a quirk that I think might be (a little?) ADHD related. I'll often be listening to a song or piece of music and want to listen to a particular portion again, so I'll back the track up a little beforehand (so I can hear the build-up, as well), and then I'll start thinking about something else, and before I know it, oops! We're already passed the part that I wanted to listen to and I missed giving it my full attention. So I back the track up again, and while running through the build-up I start drifting off again and then-- oops! I wasn't paying attention to the music again, so once more I back the track up and.... and so forth until I finally manage to catch the part I want to hear while giving my full attention into appreciating it, or I've gone through the cycle about half a dozen times and finally decide "Aw, gently caress it."

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Music is a very visual experience for me, a good song will just trigger a swarm of rapid images. I spend a good chunk of my free time painting though. Not sure is that's ADHD related or I'm just a spatial thinker.

Lately I've been all about geometric shapes so I just imagine really stark portraits of people intersected by slabs of wireframe or some poo poo.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

it's not that bad

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Has anyone taken Dexedrine IR? I have a feeling that that's going to be my next experiment, as Dexedrine Spansules were the stimulant that worked the best for me - with the exception of the GERD. But, I also learned that I shouldn't have been taking the Dex Spansules on an empty stomach, which might have been one of the issues with it causing the heartburn problem. Thus, making sure that I take it with food!

This would be on top of the Lamictal.

(And Vyvanse was just a disaster. So, no.)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

And changed my mind. Called the doc, and am making an appointment to see if Strattera + Lamictal will work. I do remember that Strattera didn't get bad until I hit a higher dose, and maybe the Lamicral will counteract that. And the Lamictal calming down my general anxiety also helps. Like yesterday, I learned that I only have 1 week to write a 7 page paper for Anthro, instead of two weeks. So, just started to calmly plan it out.

If I was on Ritalin, I would have started crying. Same if I wasn't on anything. So, yes. The Lamictal is working for me like a charm.

I just may not be able to handle amphetamines.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Frog 1.0 posted:

Been diagnosed while in the military. The only thing that is affecting my career is that if im being deployed, I need extra screening before being deployed.

If you get deployed, will they give you up front X weeks/months worth of a Schedule II stimulant that normally requires a paper prescription each month in order to be dispensed?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

samizdat posted:

If you get deployed, will they give you up front X weeks/months worth of a Schedule II stimulant that normally requires a paper prescription each month in order to be dispensed?

I'm on a ship and I've spent a decent amount of time at sea but I finished my deployment before I actually got diagnosed. I'm fairly certain the corpsman onboard can stockpile certain drugs but they usually coordinate the right amount with the pharmacy on base.

Aircraft carriers have pretty extensive facilities onboard and they can provide care to smaller ships within their respective areas of operation.

My ship isn't going on any long underways now that deployment is over so I just pick up my prescription on base. Last time they gave me 90 days worth.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 17, 2014

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Those of you that take Strattera - do you take it in the morning or evening? Does it matter? I get mine tomorrow, but not till the afternoon, so it might be more efficient to start a night schedule that night, instead of in the morning the next day.

FWIW, I normally don't have sleep problems, only when I have a lot of caffeine in the evening. Which will obviously stop when I get on the Strattera.

(And now, to make a second cup of coffee....)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 17, 2014

dentata
Mar 29, 2012

Qu Appelle posted:

Those of you that take Strattera - do you take it in the morning or evening? Does it matter? I get mine tomorrow, but not till the afternoon, so it might be more efficient to start a night schedule that night, instead of in the morning the next day.

I take Strattera 40mg BID--as close to 12 hours apart as I can. My brain doc recommended it after 80mg in one dose was making my stomach hurt unless I ate a giant meal with it. 40mg is much easier on my stomach. As far as I know, it doesn't matter when you take it--AM or PM is fine; my doc recommended I take it at night if it made me sleepy or if it made my stomach upset. Also, it took me about six to eight weeks to see the benefit of Strattera and probably about three to four months until I saw a huge difference. I never realized how anxious I was and how bad my mood swings/social avoidance was until after seeing Strattera's affects. It seems like a lot of people in this thread haven't had good results with Strattera but for me it is magical, a magical :catdrugs:.

It was awesome when I first started taking it--I could take it at ~midnight and wake up at 4-5 AM and able to jump right out of bed feeling like I had gotten a ton of rest... Now for whatever reason, about a year after taking it, it has stopped doing that. :( (Which is fine, I should obviously be getting 7-8 hours of sleep at night anyway...) It also makes me sweaty at night but this usually subsides after routinely taking my medicine correctly. If I take a 2-3 day break from Strattera I get all sweaty again for awhile. But on the flip side of that, prior to Strattera my anxiety made me sweaty/hot during the day... so :shrug: I'll take night sweat vs. day/anxiety sweat.

I also take Vyvanse for the attention/concentration aspect of ADHD. Basically, I need a combination pill of Strattera + Vyvanse and I'll be all set. I'm sure when Strattera's patent is up they'll try to formulate something stupid like that and charge out the rear end for it. :rolleyes: There's a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory that came out a few years ago called Vimovo made by Astra-Zeneca which essentially is a combination of generic naproxen and generic omeprazole...yet Vimovo got a patent and is outrageously expensive. But you could take a naproxen pill and an omeprazole pill (I think you'd have to take omeprazole like a half hour before taking naproxen) and get the same effect as Vimovo. But if you want the convenience then :shrug:.

Anyway, with Strattera + Vyvanse I finally feel like a normal person and it rules.

Fake Edit: Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread with their experiences pre/post diagnosis--it's what finally got me to go get tested and I'm much happier/better off for it. :)

dentata fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 17, 2014

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Thanks for the reply, and congrats on getting tested!

Last time I tried it, I took it in the AM, which caused issues on a higher dose. I'm going to try the pm dosing, and see if that works better for me.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

When I was on it PM was way better.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
For the people who have found a way to get off caffeine, how has it impacted your ability to wake up, the effect of your prescription stims, and other poo poo like that? I spent half the day today feeling strung out after a shitload of coffee and now I'm at a point where I'm trying to meter that poo poo if not eliminate it entirely. Kinda sucks cause I really like coffee and I spent a lot of coffee poo poo recently but if it works better I might do that.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

signalnoise posted:

For the people who have found a way to get off caffeine, how has it impacted your ability to wake up, the effect of your prescription stims, and other poo poo like that? I spent half the day today feeling strung out after a shitload of coffee and now I'm at a point where I'm trying to meter that poo poo if not eliminate it entirely. Kinda sucks cause I really like coffee and I spent a lot of coffee poo poo recently but if it works better I might do that.

Waking up is dependent on engagement rather than drowsiness for me nowadays. If I have something cool to do, I'm up. If not, I drag around and it really has nothing to do with stims. I sleep better with meds during the day because my brain can rest at night.

I switched to decaf and I serve it without telling people since my wife doesn't use caffeine either. No one comments and I still enjoy my nice coffee equipment.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

To those of you who took Adderall, how did it make you feel? I'm just trying to gauge my experience against others I guess.

I'm suprised because I haven't experienced any dry mouth or a loss of appetite. It just makes me feel perky and alert and I find that it's easier to recall information or to get involved with my work.

There are occasional days where I just feel irritable though.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Elderbean posted:

To those of you who took Adderall, how did it make you feel? I'm just trying to gauge my experience against others I guess.

I'm suprised because I haven't experienced any dry mouth or a loss of appetite. It just makes me feel perky and alert and I find that it's easier to recall information or to get involved with my work.

There are occasional days where I just feel irritable though.

If I take two by accident (which is a thing because I forget that I took it when I first woke up) I'm super productive, but then get hit with a really bad crying session as it wears off at night, or really irritable. I also find that on any dose it pretty much fixed my worst overeating and digestion problems.

On the generic I got weird sweating problems but I've always been sweaty. I think the most noticeable thing being on adderall is that the "brain fog" is gone. I no longer go through my day feeling like I'm walking/thinking through a thick haze.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

On 5 mg of the stuff, it'd be really good during the day - but then I'd have a crash as the evening came in. Like, I'd be crying at sad stuff on the TV, etc. Basically feeling verklempt. I was on that dose for months, until i felt that it wasn't working effectively for me, and I needed a higher dose.

I did notice that when I needed to do a task, I was able to just *do* it. All of the hesitation was just gone. I once built a table from Ikea, that I had been neglecting for weeks, in 20 minutes the first night on the drug.

When I ramped up to a huge dose of 10 mg, the crash shifted from 'feeling teary at Doctor Who' to 'Oh God, this is the worst sadness ever I can't handle the pain I need to end it all'. This was also on name brand Adderall extended release, as that was the only one that my old insurance company would pay for :wtc:.

And that ended *that* little :catdrugs: trial.

Caveat: I'm apparently one of those people who just cannot handle stimulants. Luckily, last time I tried the Strattera, it worked well on a low dose. So that + Lamictal may be all that I need. Fingers crossed! (And the pharmacist and doc want me to take it in the morning, initially, though it may make me drowsy. Here's hoping I don't crash out in Trig class tomorrow!)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 18, 2014

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
Adderall was a nightmare for me. I took 20mg for a couple weeks and started hallucinating gnats and that people were talking about me from across the room. I became paranoid that all my friends had turned against me. I felt robotic and flat. On lower doses, it makes my emotions go crazy. I'll be extremely happy and upbeat for an hour, then suddenly I'll have a thought like "What's the point of all of this?" and I'll become so depressed and sad that I've actually had suicidal thoughts. I'm also really anxious the whole time.

Luckily, Ritalin does not do any of that except the increased anxiety part.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Huh, it's interesting to hear how it affects other people. The whole experience has been pretty light for me. Honestly it feels like I'm just getting high and that's not what I want.

I should have my follow-up soon, so I'll see what the doc wants to do.

The Navy only prescribes generics as far as I know. Are there any infamously bad ones?

The generic I'm on is an orange capsule that reads M. Amphet Salts 20mg and it's evidentally made by Global Pharmaceuticals.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fluorescent posted:

Adderall was a nightmare for me. I took 20mg for a couple weeks and started hallucinating gnats and that people were talking about me from across the room. I became paranoid that all my friends had turned against me. I felt robotic and flat. On lower doses, it makes my emotions go crazy. I'll be extremely happy and upbeat for an hour, then suddenly I'll have a thought like "What's the point of all of this?" and I'll become so depressed and sad that I've actually had suicidal thoughts. I'm also really anxious the whole time.

Luckily, Ritalin does not do any of that except the increased anxiety part.

Ritalin did everything to me that Adderall did to you. I also felt pain in my ribs from anxiety, where I was constantly tensed up and couldn't relax or breathe properly.

Elderbean posted:

Huh, it's interesting to hear how it affects other people. The whole experience has been pretty light for me. Honestly it feels like I'm just getting high and that's not what I want.

I should have my follow-up soon, so I'll see what the doc wants to do.

The Navy only prescribes generics as far as I know. Are there any infamously bad ones?

The generic I'm on is an orange capsule that reads M. Amphet Salts 20mg and it's evidentally made by Global Pharmaceuticals.

I'm not sure if people other than me have experienced, but generic adderall xr is poo poo. It gave me the worst headaches and really uneven absorption so I'd have random periods of the day where I'd either be maniac or depressed and lazy. Plus the crashes were terrible. Shire brand Adderall Xr is expensive as gently caress but worth every penny to me.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Huh.

I'm on my 4th day of Strattera. While it ramps up my anger a tiny bit, I trust that that will go away. Cutting out the caffeine will help.

Because it's actually working well for me - I've started making concrete plans to move to a place closer to school (I have a few months to do this, so I'm in no rush), started to clean my room, and, most importantly, for signed up for WA State Medicaid :obama: Obamacare :obama: , as I currently have no income. Once I ask a few more questions re: my doctors, I can cancel my expensive COBRA plan.

And now, I'm calmly starting my Trig homework, which isn't due until next Tuesday. (It's 45 really difficult problems.)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I've been taking Ritalin 10mg x2/x3 a day for over a year now and am wondering if I need to look into trying something else...

I think this will help me just get my thoughts down and organized, and maybe get some feedback from other people. My only other adhd medication I've tried is 10mg of adderall once, and while it was pretty effective (and opened the door for actually seeking help) it gave me pretty bad heart palpitations.

I think the worst effects from the ritalin is the ridiculous inconsistency. Some days 5mg is great and does all I need for 4-5 hours, and others I feel like 10mg is barely cutting it for 2-3 hours. The first hour is always really "edgy" and jittery, then it calms down a lot. Rebound is pretty hardcore bad, especially if I'm not staying on top of eating. One day I couldn't remember my frickin' PIN at the ATM. Like, the rebound can get so bad I get kinda scared of driving while its happening.

Besides inconsistency, my mood and emotions feel... uneven. Some days I feel perked up and good-to-go, and others, a hazy fog with mild depression. The depression thing is VERY mild compared to what I used to experience before my diagnosis. I used to go through 3-4 month periods of just complete hopelessness, which hasn't happened in so long it gets scary when I have an off day.

The last couple of days I've really noticed it. After the horrible 1.5 hour rebound, my energy levels will spike and my humor floods back to me. But, generally, without any stimulant, I'm a fogged, extremely tired guy. A week where I ran out of script because of pharmacy issues, I really noticed what baseline was again. Tired all the time, couldn't even sleep because I couldn't focus on taking a nap, just insanity that I don't want.

It's weird, I swear the first 8 months were pretty much ideal and perfect, so I don't know what happened. Increasing my dosage to 20mg sometimes is hit or miss too, the jitteriness can be overwhelming. Strange.

With real health insurance and stuff coming up, I've been thinking maybe I should try something Long-Lasting, so it won't be so turbulent. Concerta and Vyvanse look interesting, but considering my previous experience with adderall... I'm hesitant. I have a friend who has had really good success with Concerta + ritalin booster.

Oh, I also get weird vision blurriness on ritalin, in my right eye. My doc didn't seem to think it was a big deal, and my eye doctor was like whatever, so ... whatever? It feels like my prescription drops a little, but maybe it's a blood sugar thing.

Ugh, I know this is gonna read all tweaked out. I tried my best. Gonna call my doctor this week and move my appointment closer to discuss options.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I moved from Adderall to Vyvanse because Adderall gave me nasty crashes and heart palpitations, but Vyvanse did neither (caveat: I'm also on 24 hour Wellbutrin and never took Vyvanse without it, so it could be cushioning the crash).

Vyvanse only contains dextroamphetamine (like dexedrine), while Adderall also has levoampethamine which is responsible for the very physical effects like heart palpitations and jitter (and on the positive side, the "woohoo get the gently caress out of bed!" feeling that I miss now... but it wasn't worth the tradeoff for me). No clue about the ritalin-based side of things though.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm considering Vyvanse because it supposedly lasts longer and has less of a crash.

I'm working 12-18 hours a day and Adderall definitely helps but I feel a little drained when it wears off while I still have 8 hours of work ahead of me.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Aaaand my phone somehow doubleposted.

I did go to the store yesterday and buy stuff I actually needed for work instead of bullshit. So that's a plus.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 22, 2014

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I've been taking Ritalin 10mg x2/x3 a day for over a year now and am wondering if I need to look into trying something else...

I think this will help me just get my thoughts down and organized, and maybe get some feedback from other people. My only other adhd medication I've tried is 10mg of adderall once, and while it was pretty effective (and opened the door for actually seeking help) it gave me pretty bad heart palpitations.

I think the worst effects from the ritalin is the ridiculous inconsistency. Some days 5mg is great and does all I need for 4-5 hours, and others I feel like 10mg is barely cutting it for 2-3 hours. The first hour is always really "edgy" and jittery, then it calms down a lot. Rebound is pretty hardcore bad, especially if I'm not staying on top of eating. One day I couldn't remember my frickin' PIN at the ATM. Like, the rebound can get so bad I get kinda scared of driving while its happening.

Besides inconsistency, my mood and emotions feel... uneven. Some days I feel perked up and good-to-go, and others, a hazy fog with mild depression. The depression thing is VERY mild compared to what I used to experience before my diagnosis. I used to go through 3-4 month periods of just complete hopelessness, which hasn't happened in so long it gets scary when I have an off day.

The last couple of days I've really noticed it. After the horrible 1.5 hour rebound, my energy levels will spike and my humor floods back to me. But, generally, without any stimulant, I'm a fogged, extremely tired guy. A week where I ran out of script because of pharmacy issues, I really noticed what baseline was again. Tired all the time, couldn't even sleep because I couldn't focus on taking a nap, just insanity that I don't want.

It's weird, I swear the first 8 months were pretty much ideal and perfect, so I don't know what happened. Increasing my dosage to 20mg sometimes is hit or miss too, the jitteriness can be overwhelming. Strange.

With real health insurance and stuff coming up, I've been thinking maybe I should try something Long-Lasting, so it won't be so turbulent. Concerta and Vyvanse look interesting, but considering my previous experience with adderall... I'm hesitant. I have a friend who has had really good success with Concerta + ritalin booster.

Oh, I also get weird vision blurriness on ritalin, in my right eye. My doc didn't seem to think it was a big deal, and my eye doctor was like whatever, so ... whatever? It feels like my prescription drops a little, but maybe it's a blood sugar thing.

Ugh, I know this is gonna read all tweaked out. I tried my best. Gonna call my doctor this week and move my appointment closer to discuss options.

Have you tried concerta before? I find that it helps with rebounds and consistency, though overall it isn't that much different from ritalin. The problem I have with concerta though is that it's a bit too long-lasting, it makes it difficult to kind of predict if what you took will be enough. Like you, I find that 5 mg to 10 mg of ritalin works wonders occasionally, and other times I need 20 mg to get only a short period of focus. Concerta works all day so topping up happens so late in the day that it might function too long for your convenience(personally, I don't like feeling the effects of my meds on any day when I'm not staying inside).

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 22, 2014

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I haven't yet because it was way out of my budget until recently. I'll give that a shot too. I'm not really worried about lasting too long, since I already dose 7 days a week.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

I haven't yet because it was way out of my budget until recently. I'll give that a shot too. I'm not really worried about lasting too long, since I already dose 7 days a week.

Concerta and rtialin are the same formula. They are both generic.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Regardless the Concerta "generic" was 300 dollars vs 60 for methyphenidate ir.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

:aaa: Jesus Christ meds are crazy expensive in the states...

One thing I forgot to mention, Vyvanse has something like a 2 hour delay before it kicks in, so if you think that sucks Concerta might be a better bet. I think there's also "dexedrine spansules" that are basically Dexedrine XR. And I think the states have Daytrana, which is some Ritalin patch that you just take on or off whenever you want, but I don't know how it works or if it's at all easy to get.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Regardless the Concerta "generic" was 300 dollars vs 60 for methyphenidate ir.

If I had to pick between paying an assload for generic Concerta (that is not the Watson/Actavis repackaged brand Concerta) and an assload and a half for brand Concerta, I'd pay extra for the brand name. Or go without. I had a super bad go with the Mallinckrodt or whatever generic. Didn't do jackshit and I might as well have flushed my money down the toilet. Except for the two days out of thirty I took it that it hit me like a loving train.

Also yeah, if you're good on Ritalin, Concerta is the same stuff except in a fancy slow release capsule (it is the fancy capsule that you're paying for). Ride's a lot smoother than the IR Ritalin for me. It's gotten super subtle, so I don't really notice it until I run out and am off it for several days, at which point my house goes to poo poo and and I get backlogged on email, forget to pay bills, etc.

In general, I've been really happy with Concerta. Except when I tried a dose that was too high - since it's long-acting, you can't get off the raging bitch anxiety train quite fast enough.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Getting back to my meds after a long time without them has been a bit of a difficult adjustment. I've upped my dose to 54 mg (concerta) because 36 mg doesn't seem to feel right. The thing is, I can't really concentrate without feeling the euphoria coming on. It's like I need it as an incentive to get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Weird freakout happened on Strattera, which is :wtc:.

This is a drug that worked before, in small amounts. Needless to say, I stopped it for now.

(Now, before you all go :sigh: :sympathy: :bang:, etc, I understand. This is weeeeeird.)

So, I think that there's something else going on here, medically. I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday, to see what else is out there that could be causing this.

Because this is how the freakouts tend to happen: Crying jag, and then a complete absence of thought. It's like, cognitively, I can't function. Last time I felt like this that wasn't triggered by drugs was when I had an EEG test for seizures about 10 years ago, and they flashed me with a lot of blinking lights to trigger one. Even though the EEG didn't show anything, afterwards I did have a crying meltdown, with the subsequent 'brain vaccuum cognitive lacking' feeling. Like, if you would have asked me who the President was, I wouldn't have been able to name him. After half an hour or so, I felt competent enough to leave and catch a bus home (I don't drive), and after 4 hours or so, I was completely recovered.

So, something else is up. This can't just be ADHD drugs related.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 24, 2014