Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

PrinceRandom posted:

He looks like nic cage which has to be worth something

He plays football like Nic Cage too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

DariusLikewise posted:

Jay Cutler on the Texans doesn't really sound that bad.

I agree but herp derp two grown men might not be able to coexist in a work relationship that would be mutually beneficial if they could just grin and bear it and act professional herp derp

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter
Eagles traded for Ravens DT Timmy Jernigan, per source.

Tell me about this man

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Good interior pass rusher who takes the occasional play off but you only have him for the last year of his contract.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

89 posted:

Tell me about this man

x-posting

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/849345291258146816

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Last year of his deal and they just signed people so Ravens being smart and ditching guys they know will be overpaid

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

89 posted:

Tell me about this man

Eagles trade 74 for Jernigan and 99

I like this trade. Move down 25 spots for a pretty good DT. Good move

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Eagles trade 74 for Jernigan and 99

I like this trade. Move down 25 spots for a pretty good DT. Good move
Its a one year rental though. Unless the Eagles are going to have a ton of cap to extend him?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its a one year rental though. Unless the Eagles are going to have a ton of cap to extend him?

Trade down, get a cheap one year rental and a comp pick.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
lol gently caress how bad was the Texans offer

https://twitter.com/toddarcher/status/849355127702126594

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MrLogan posted:

Trade down, get a cheap one year rental and a comp pick.

The comp pick is the big thing here. If they are smart about free agency next year, they'll get another third for him, plus get a year of solid play at a position of need.

This is a good deal for the Eagles. Depending on what the Ravens do, it could be a solid move for them also.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

sigh

SIGH

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How did you gently caress this up, Texans? How?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Houston is restricted by the salary cap. CBS is not.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Sataere posted:

Less chance of getting broken in half in the booth above.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rick Smith

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sataere posted:

yeah but CBS isn't offering Romo $15M a year to do booth commentary or anything

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Is there anythign preventing Jerry from giving Romo a $20m "gift" once he's retired :tinfoil:

(probably)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jernigan isn't getting a 3rd comp pick next year come on guys

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Good interior pass rusher who takes the occasional play off but you only have him for the last year of his contract.

why are these weird rear end pulls always something that its impossible to prove or disprove

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Amy Pole Her posted:

It depends on his season and what other players are competing with him for a big contract at the position. I mean, a fourth or fifth is probably more realistic, but he should net something. And if he breaks out in a big way in a contract year, he could be the best DT/DE on the market.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

TheChirurgeon posted:

yeah but CBS isn't offering Romo $15M a year to do booth commentary or anything

Those guys make pretty good money though. Is there somewhere that shows what top tier play by play and color guys make.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Sataere posted:

It depends on his season and what other players are competing with him for a big contract at the position. I mean, a fourth or fifth is probably more realistic, but he should net something. And if he breaks out in a big way in a contract year, he could be the best DT/DE on the market.

He's never really shown that level of ability and I'm a big fan of his from FSU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

RGIII is probably done, right?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

I was thinking a fifth or sixth depending on how his final year goes. Every free agent loss being a third round pick is the new every backup QB being worth a second rounder.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Intruder posted:

I agree but herp derp two grown men might not be able to coexist in a work relationship that would be mutually beneficial if they could just grin and bear it and act professional herp derp

I don't know about you, but I've seen plenty of examples of grown people being dumb, self destructive jackasses at work.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Yaws posted:

Are you posting from 2014?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sataere posted:

Those guys make pretty good money though. Is there somewhere that shows what top tier play by play and color guys make.

Yeah but it's like "Very comfortable to average joes" money and not "You won't miss football at all" Money. It's hard to nail down what they make exactly (though I've seen some reports that suggest that the highest-paid sports casters make upwards of $5m/year), but I did find that Simms' net worth is about $14M and I'd wager that most of that came from non-TV revenue (endorsements, speaking gigs, etc.) In contrast, that's less than what Romo made last year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Yaws posted:

Eh, someone will sign him eventually if that's what you're asking. As a starter probably something like...

TheBizzness posted:

Are you posting from 2014?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sataere posted:

The comp pick is the big thing here. If they are smart about free agency next year, they'll get another third for him, plus get a year of solid play at a position of need.

This is a good deal for the Eagles. Depending on what the Ravens do, it could be a solid move for them also.

You're also guaranteed to get Jernigan's best effort, plus first shot at signing him if he does kick rear end.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

purkey posted:

I don't know about you, but I've seen plenty of examples of grown people being dumb, self destructive jackasses at work.

Well this is true

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Amy Pole Her posted:

He's never really shown that level of ability and I'm a big fan of his from FSU

Yeah, I do agree with you. I am more saying hypothetically that the DT class next year is not very top heavy and contract years can do some funny things to a guy.

I honestly don't even know why I seem to be taking this stand, since I agree with you about him. He's a nice player that I wouldn't mind having on my team, but mostly unspectacular. He just feels like the type of dude who gets overpaid.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah but it's like "Very comfortable to average joes" money and not "You won't miss football at all" Money. It's hard to nail down what they make exactly (though I've seen some reports that suggest that the highest-paid sports casters make upwards of $5m/year), but I did find that Simms' net worth is about $14M and I'd wager that most of that came from non-TV revenue (endorsements, speaking gigs, etc.) In contrast, that's less than what Romo made last year.

I thought Skip Bayless made crazy amounts of money. Is he the exception to the rule? Maybe my barometer is off on this one.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Nick Mangold is taking his first FA visit to the Ravens, per Manish.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Sataere posted:

Yeah, I do agree with you. I am more saying hypothetically that the DT class next year is not very top heavy and contract years can do some funny things to a guy.

I honestly don't even know why I seem to be taking this stand, since I agree with you about him. He's a nice player that I wouldn't mind having on my team, but mostly unspectacular. He just feels like the type of dude who gets overpaid.

I thought Skip Bayless made crazy amounts of money. Is he the exception to the rule? Maybe my barometer is off on this one.

Skip got something like 4/22 from Fox. He was apparently underpaid for a while

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Diva Cupcake posted:

Nick Mangold is taking his first FA visit to the Ravens, per Manish.

That's surprising. Mangold did a radio interview in which he talked about his football obsessed Cleveland relatives and how much he hated Marty Mornhinweg. Unless I read about that on the 1st...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Rams signed John Sullivan

Also 3rd round comp picks are for players that get 12+ million dollar a year contracts

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
And would also mean the Eagles aren't signing other dudes that would nullify your compensation.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

Rams signed John Sullivan

Also 3rd round comp picks are for players that get 12+ million dollar a year contracts

Here's the players who netted their team a 3rd round comp pick this year after leaving and their APY:
code:
MIA	Olivier Vernon	$16,750,000
CAR	Josh Norman	$15,000,000
BAL	Kelechi Osemele	$11,200,000
LAR	Janoris Jenkins	$12,400,000
SEA	Russell Okung	$10,400,000
DEN	Malik Jackson	$14,250,000
CLE	Alex Mack	$9,000,000
KC	Sean Smith     	$9,250,000
PIT	Kelvin Beachum	$8,968,750
SEA	Bruce Irvin	$9,000,000
NYJ	Damon Harrison	$9,000,000
Unless you lose a top tier player or someone overpays for one of your guys (looking at you Okung), you aren't getting a 3rd.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Man In their defense a lot of average dudes got 3rd. Sean Smith? OKUNG? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Sean Smith was good before that contract, I swear!

He just ended up being very bad once he went to Oakland. Which is also good, so I approve even more.

• Locked thread