Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Tae posted:

I never understood people calling Mika one-note, but it's also generally rare for a non-hysteric psychopath to be displayed in media

That is interesting. I remember thinking he reminds me of Amos from The Expanse. There were a few things from this show that reminded me of The Expanse to the extent I wonder if the writer(s?)s were inspired by the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

That is interesting. I remember thinking he reminds me of Amos from The Expanse. There were a few things from this show that reminded me of The Expanse to the extent I wonder if the writer(s?)s were inspired by the books.

Probably not, since the basic concepts for the show were being put together in 2010-ish, and the Expanse only started in 2011, but that doesn't rule out convergent evolution. Mika's got a pretty clear mecha lineage, after all, with Rei Ayanami, Chirico Cuvie, Setsuna F. Seiya, Chirico Cuvie, and Heero Yui all marking precedent.

One thing about Mikazuki is that he gets a lot of bits of minor characterization in the background, and comparatively little explicit discussion of What He's About in the foreground. His irritation with Cookie and Cracker learning to read better than he does, his half-assed apology to Hush for nearly breaking his arm, his shielding Atra from the horrors of fish... he gets a lot of good moments that show personality, but they're seldom a major focus. (My favorite is probably when he tries to work out the deaths in the Calamity War on his fingers.)

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

chiasaur11 posted:

(My favorite is probably when he tries to work out the deaths in the Calamity War on his fingers.)

A lot of these did stand out, but this one in particular was fun. Very practical way to conceptualize 1/4, and he was probably never taught that. Smart kid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1709603996141519192?t=qyghwtj96PiIoxzUAKawpw&s=19

SEEDGoog

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The previous one looked better:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jackhunter64 posted:

The previous one looked better:

That's just a Rick Goog Marine Dias mashup

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Actually don't mind the SEED goog. More because it's almost more of a continuation of the Guaiz r than the Gelgoog

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Arc Hammer posted:

That's just a Rick Goog Marine Dias mashup

Exactly :getin:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
It's just a Zaku.

Edit: Sorry, ZAKU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argas posted:

It's just a Zaku.

Edit: Sorry, ZAKU

Eh, not really. It's a GuAIZ with a more ZAKU-ish head. The GuAIZ was already the SEED Gelgoog so they're just mixing Gelgoogs together.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I don't understand the bigger shield. They already had F91/Victory style shield emitters in the SEED timeline... why a big physical shield?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/deltythe73rd/status/1709606999724564884?s=46&t=I20r8D0jN-R9K3Lm8A1Bmw

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That Gyandum is loving hideous

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I don't understand the bigger shield. They already had F91/Victory style shield emitters in the SEED timeline... why a big physical shield?

In the SEED EU there are some melee weapons that can disrupt beam shields but not physical ones so I imagine it's best of both worlds.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Also SEED MS work on limited power (running out when plot convenient) or banned Nuclear tech and beam shields take a lot of power.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At this point I'm going to have to wait to see how these designs (mechanical and character) look in motion. The gunpla kits look decent enough but I'm not sold yet with the profile images.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I agree with the above tweet, the rightmost Gundam, Force Impulse, looks the best of that lineup

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Freedom looks better than the Strike Freedom at least.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The Freedom looks better than the Strike Freedom at least.

All they really needed to do was remove the dumbass gold/silver plated joints.

I fully realize the irony here as I build my RG Hi-Nu, which has copper and silver accent parts. But unlike SF, the Hi-Nu uses them as accent rather than the whole loving frame being some garish bling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

All they really needed to do was remove the dumbass gold/silver plated joints.

I fully realize the irony here as I build my RG Hi-Nu, which has copper and silver accent parts. But unlike SF, the Hi-Nu uses them as accent rather than the whole loving frame being some garish bling.

Yeah, it's mostly the same design (at least in lineart with wings folded) but a bit less bulky, no chest cannon, and for some reason the face is grey without the standard Gundam red.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Reminds me of the Zeta Gundam, especially since it can also transform into a plane

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/xxnike0629xx/status/1709618357308158463?s=46

Guess this is also the loser jobber squad other MS Daniel Harper and the rest of those clowns ride in

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 4, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

Reminds me of the Zeta Gundam, especially since it can also transform into a plane

Actually looking at it...

I'm going to bet this is a ReGZ version of the Freedom. It seems like it has the original Freedom's loadout (no funnels) and in general is paired back from the original. This is what Kira'll start in and there will be an upraded one down the line.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It keeps getting worse

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The faces on the revamp Gundams are so loving UGLY. SEED really does reach for new depths we didn't know were there.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The faces on the revamp Gundams are so loving UGLY. SEED really does reach for new depths we didn't know were there.

I liked a bunch of SEED's basic aesthetic out of nostalgia, such as the stupid backpacks, and even I'm loving cringing at 'we have shovel knight at home' posse.

Having the force impulse there makes it so much worse.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Even the art for the actual mecha looks off, it's almost on purpose at this point.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, not really. It's a GuAIZ with a more ZAKU-ish head. The GuAIZ was already the SEED Gelgoog so they're just mixing Gelgoogs together.

Not seeing it. While the head is the primary Zaku element present, the legs are also more Zaku, though that's just "Gen 3" zaft stuff in general.

The only thing guaiz about it in my eyes is that it's supposed to be a gelgoog.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Guaiz head looks more like a Kämpfer wearing a League Militaire Gun-EZ as a helmet

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 4, 2023

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
the real gundam seed freedom is the seed of freedom from gundam it planted in us by making us lose faith in gundam

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll hold out for Thunderbolt season 3 coming to save us like King Arthur returning to save Britain.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I'll hold out for Thunderbolt season 3 coming to save us like King Arthur returning to save Britain.

I expect the outcome to be much the same.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/GundamPlanet/status/1709656082379841884

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Nice to see that SEED designs are still inexplicably and utterly repulsive to me.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmOxELVTpSs

I have such a wide variety of questions.

Not the least is why the power rangers color thing for the new guys. Why. Why. Why.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That looks so cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Not the least is why the power rangers color thing for the new guys. Why. Why. Why.

Honestly that CGI looks a lot better than I expect.

I remain convinced Rising Freedom is going to be a 'first part' MS and we'll see an upgrade of some kind for the endgame of the movie.

As far as the color thing: color-coded MP MS aren't really a new thing. They're just doing specific spot coloring instead of the whole suit. Not really down with it but it isn't like the previous series didn't give everyone their own custom-colored MS.

Is... the new Gyan supposed to be Shin's suit? The Gelgoog Menace looks like Lunamaria's.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

This looks...not great? Animation and CGI quality looks like a step down from Hathaway or even Doan's Island.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neo_Crimson posted:

This looks...not great? Animation and CGI quality looks like a step down from Hathaway or even Doan's Island.

I don't think the animation is worse technically at all, it's just a different style and especially a different style of coloring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh my god the new suits are named Shiva and Rudra Excuse me, they're named Shi-ve.a and Rud-ro.a.

That is some SEED-rear end naming.

Edit:

Immortal Justice gets an MA mode too.