Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandroid Candycorn
Jun 2, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Ten bucks for a digital outback dunny? Tell him he's dreamin'.
Yeah, but how much would you pay for a physical version that came pre-filled with real developers' poo? I bet a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

All of those boxes are "RSI HATS", and they all have individual shipping labels.

It looks like 10 hats and 10 shirts.

insanity

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Clifford is a sick sick man

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Schedule Report is out :toot: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Archered from :reddit:...

Feature Complete:
  • Surface Outposts
  • Debris Fields
  • Item 2.0 Ship Conversion – Part 1
  • Stamina
  • IFCS Performance Improvements – New Addition
  • Planetary Tech
  • Solar System Tool
  • Behring P8-SC
  • Klaus And Werner Gallant Rifle
ETA Changes:
  • Surface Outposts Lighting - June 26th (new)
  • Mission Givers - 9th June (was June 2nd)
  • Insurance - 9th June (was 2nd June)
  • Doors & Airlocks - 22nd June (was 31st May)
  • Cargo - 16th June (was 2nd June)
  • Commodities - 9th June (was 2nd June)
  • Kiosk Support - 9th June (was 2nd June)
  • Persistent Damage, Ammo And Missiles - 7th June (was 2nd June)
  • Inventory System Support - 16th June (was 2nd June)
  • Rover And Dragonfly In Ships - 16th June (was 2nd June)
  • Mission Manager App - TBD (was 2nd June)
  • Ship Selector App & Insurance Claim - 15th June
  • Mission Board App - TBD (was 1st June)
  • Mobiglass Overhaul - TBD (was 2nd June)
  • AI Turrets - 9th June (was 31st May)
  • Environment Probe - 9th June (was 2nd June)
  • Volumetric Fog - 9th June (was 30th May)
  • New Message Queue - 9th June (was 31st May)
  • Physics Serialization - 9th June (was 2nd June)
  • RSI Ursa Rover - 9th June (was 2nd June)

9 complete, 16 delayed with new ETAs, 3 delayed with TBDs, and 1 new (lighting taken out of the "completed" Planetary Tech)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bbchops posted:

Ah, code reuse, the software panacea!

Space ships, space stations, they're basically the same, right?

Kellanved posted:

:psypop:
Why... are these people reinventing the wheel? It's the most frustrating poo poo, I went through it once I started programming for a living then I realized that I should git gud and read some loving books so I don't waste my time.

In big projects like this, shouldn't there be some sort of coding standard (that also includes the basic poo poo), enforced by the coding SS? It might suck, but the project won't grind to a halt if Joe goes on vacation.
I'm an utterly abysmal programmer, and even I know that a team has to have standards for things like brace placement, indentation, variable names, etc., if only so the programmers don't start murdering each other over K&R vs. Allman styles the moment you turn your back.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Honestly, the most upsetting thing is the Ryzen desktop wallpaper.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tokamak posted:

Honestly, the most upsetting thing is the Ryzen desktop wallpaper.

It's pretty ugly but those are baller CPUs, especially for cost. They're already lowering the prices of them and will supposedly lower them again pretty soon because they got extremely high yields from their manufacturing process.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Quavers posted:

Schedule Report is out :toot: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Feature Complete:
  • Surface Outposts
  • Debris Fields
  • Stamina
  • Planetary Tech
  • Solar System Tool
  • Behring P8-SC
ETA Changes:

9 complete, 16 delayed with new ETAs, 3 delayed with TBDs, and 1 new (lighting taken out of the "completed" Planetary Tech)

If only Bill hadn't gotten that hangnail, all of this would still be on schedule.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

grimcreaper posted:

I would just like to take this tine to thank you for one hell of a laugh. Totally worth it.

Any time, the game is an absolute blast. Finally got some missions with other players and it is everything I wanted Star Citizen to be. Dodging klingons in a nebula with me playing the helm, while a half-drunk captain shouts abuse at the engineer whenever he spikes the power too high- absolute perfection.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Schedule strategy; every week pop your head in to each office and ask "is it done yet?" If the answer is no then push the schedule back one week.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
http://kotaku.com/richard-garriott-reassures-shroud-of-the-avatar-backers-1795774769

kotaku posted:

Fans on Reddit and Shroud of the Avatar’s official forums were surprised by the equity crowdfunding site’s disclosure of Portalarium’s financial state, which stands at $528,000 in the bank with monthly expenses of around $230,000. That seems rather low, considering that the game managed to raise $11,614,524 since the initial crowdfunding drive in 2013, via a mix of Kickstarter, early access game sales, pledges, and special events like telethons.

https://www.seedinvest.com/portalarium/series.b/product

:munch:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Quavers posted:

Feature Complete:
  • Surface Outposts
  • Debris Fields
  • Stamina
  • Planetary Tech
  • Solar System Tool
  • Behring P8-SC
ETA Changes:

heh, I think we are going to see more "new" tasks that are related to the feature complete.. Apparently they are feature complete, but lacking features to be actually complete.

Btw, last week they announced the schedule on May 26. They announced schedule changes that stuff whose estimated delivery dates had long expired, and some of those dates were just a few days off. The (impossible it seems) volumetric fog was re-scheduled for the same day that the previous week schedule was announced (May 26). Yet now it's June 9th? As is message queue?

eg

Quavers posted:

Changes:
VOLUMETRIC FOG
(...)
ETA is 26th May (was 18th May)

NEW MESSAGE QUEUE
(...)
ETA is 31st May (was 22nd May)

PHYSICS SERIALIZATION
(...)
ETA is 2nd June (was 26th May)

I mean I am not surprised but drat CIG is terrible.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Okay team, time to pull together. Everyone go buy a $10 outhouse RIGHT NOW.

Nov 24, 2014

kotaku posted:

"We earn about the same amount as we spend every month," Garriott said, "and that has been true for the majority of the existence of this company."

It's been four years, and the game is still pre-alpha. It's far from feature-complete despite a plan to launch later this year.

"We keep doing what we're doing," he said. "That's how we've been operating for four years.

I guess I just don't understand software development...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mandroid Candycorn posted:

E:

do you guys think divinity taken human form actually poops?
John Romero is fine as gently caress.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

226 posted:

I guess I just don't understand software development...

I'm looking forward to the new NoClip documentary. It appears Garriot had a hand in the original launch of FFXIV.

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Time for some stories:

So I fired up Bridge Crew for the first time today. After a brief time playing around in the tutorials I decided to launch a single player mission rather than inflict myself on anyone else as a bridge officer. The basic setup for single player is that you are in the captain's chair, and generic AI npc's are sitting at all the other stations. You get the objectives and the big picture and you can touch various buttons on your chair to pull up additional information, and send commands to the npc crew by gesturing at them and picking off a radial menu. You can also take the stations over and do the jobs yourself, but the AI are generally competent. Except for Ensign Rao. gently caress that guy.

Our first mission is some kind of shakedown cruise- it's possible that Starfleet did not trust me to handle their fully armed "Science vessel" after some incidents during simulation. Apparently you shouldn't tell your instructor "Today is a good day to die!" the second he hands you control of the helm. So we're out doing the usual star trek poo poo- scanning a bunch of hosed-up cargo ships that all seem to have flown into a space minefield(!) somehow. Let's talk about space-mines for a minute. Shouldn't these be really easy to avoid? Like, in a normal minefield, you've got to walk across the flat surface that they are presumable buried under. But in space you can just fly around them. Well, you could. Ensign Rao apparently came from the Khan school of piloting, the one where they don't teach you about the third goddamn dimension. Also for some reason he had a disturbing tendency to read the "Engage target" order as "Fly directly at the target and rub it on your cheeks like a downy bunny."

So this predictably leads to several moments of panic as I, Engineering, and Tactical are all scrambling to make up for Helm's incompetence. I boost phaser range up past 20km and order tactical to begin sniping the mines out of the sky long before Ensign Rao can give them a hug. Crisis passed, we come to our first downed cruiser. Something something radiation, something something quantum neutrinos, beam us off the ship, I'm not really listening... wait, did they say scuttle? I get to blow up a friendly ship, on my first day in starfleet! They'll even thank me for it! I order tactical to begin beaming everyone aboard and begin counting down the seconds until I can issue that sweet sweet fire order. Finally, the moment arrives.

Three problems with that, as it turns out. First of all, Ensign Rao has not given up on his commitment to personally inspecting the loving grundle of every goddamn space object that I target, and while we've been beaming people aboard, he has crept within 5 km of this ship. Second, ships tend to make... really big explosions when you blow them up. Safe range for this thing is like 25km. I'm not a nuclear physicist but I'm pretty sure that's a whole loving lot of megatons, especially in space where there's basically nothing to transmit the energy. Third, that whole thing with beaming people aboard? Apparently it requires lowering the shields. Tactical didn't deem that important information, I guess. They also didn't feel like raising them was a high priority afterwards.

So this thing goes up like someone left the gas on over the weekend in grandma's apartment while we're right up its rear end in a top hat with absolutely no shields. The entire bridge kicks like Ensign Rao finally got that close encounter he keeps aiming for, and suddenly half of my bridge is on fire and the other half is eyeing the escape pods. Somehow, miraculously, the ship holds together. I shove Engineering out of the way and take over the repair crews- 26% hull and virtually every system is crippled. But whatever! It's my first day on the job, I'm sure every captain comes back from his shakedown cruise with just a little more than one quarter of his ship still displaying the original paint. I give all of my crewmen the stink eye and explain that nobody is ever going to mention this. Nobody. Also, I resolve that Ensign Rao is going to have an unfortunate airlock accident the second we get off duty.

Damage contained, for the most part, I sit back down in the captain's chair. Looks like there's one more ship they want me to go inspect before I get back to base. Okay, fine, how bad can it-

It's last reported position was just across the border in the Neutral Zone.

Ship name: The Kobayashi Maru.

Oh, just gently caress me then. Ensign Rao, go prepare a second seat in that airlock. I think my tour's ending here.

:holy: If the new Star Wars spoof flick is half as well written I'll be ecstatic.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm the idiots defending sota in the comments. Wonder how many of them split their disability checks between sota and sc.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a gem

argyle posted:

Read the independent accountant analysis included with the seedinvest PDF. The company, according to that firm, has $500k in the bank but an $18 million dollar deficit. The accounting firm review warns that without additional capital the company is in danger of bankruptcy.
http://kotaku.com/1795780649

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So, was it Garriott who wrote "keep doing what you're doing" in cig reviews?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Star Citizen saved me from a roasting from the other nerds at work yesterday so turns out it's good?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/870813200794742784

Huge milestone.

Mandroid Candycorn
Jun 2, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

benzine posted:

Clifford is a sick sick man big red dog

I'd like to take a moment to point out that I was recently diagnosed with schizophrenia and put on risperadone and depakote.

That means the entire time I was a star citizen backer I was an undiagnosed, untreated schizophrenic. And even that person had the sense to get a refund.

Makes u think.

necroid
May 14, 2009

no_recall posted:

Here's a gem

lol

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'd like to take a moment to point out that I was recently diagnosed with schizophrenia and put on risperadone and depakote.

That means the entire time I was a star citizen backer I was an undiagnosed, untreated schizophrenic. And even that person had the sense to get a refund.

Makes u think.

Antipsychotics own

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Amazing Zimmo posted:

So it looks like CIG is going to miss E3 again this year.

http://mp037jm24.mapyourshow.com/7_0/alphalist.cfm?alpha=C

also no RSI.

If they are part of another booth (e.g. Intel), they won't be listed.

Quavers posted:

Feature Complete:
  • Surface Outposts
  • Debris Fields
  • Stamina
  • Planetary Tech
  • Solar System Tool
  • Behring P8-SC
ETA Changes:

At this rate, it will be a miracle if 3.0 is out before Gamescom (Aug 22-26). Which makes sense, since Gamescom usually starts the year end fundraising push which ends with CitizenCon in Oct.

AbstractNapper posted:

heh, I think we are going to see more "new" tasks that are related to the feature complete.. Apparently they are feature complete, but lacking features to be actually complete.

Btw, last week they announced the schedule on May 26. They announced schedule changes that stuff whose estimated delivery dates had long expired, and some of those dates were just a few days off. The (impossible it seems) volumetric fog was re-scheduled for the same day that the previous week schedule was announced (May 26). Yet now it's June 9th? As is message queue?

eg

I mean I am not surprised but drat CIG is terrible.

I swear they're probably messing with the schedule by pushing back minor things instead of the actual major things that are delayed; so as not to cause panic. It's bullshit. Just like the funding track.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

There's a CryEngine/Water analogy in there somewhere...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

If they are part of another booth (e.g. Intel), they won't be listed.

Intel doesn't have a booth. They have a pair of media rooms. If CIG shows anything it will be a repeat of last year where it's done in a closed room to select people.

Open Development.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Intel doesn't have a booth. They have a pair of media rooms. If CIG shows anything it will be a repeat of last year where it's done in a closed room to select people.

Open Development.

That was Gamescom wasn't it?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

That was Gamescom wasn't it?

I don't think so. They skipped E3, but had a full blown presentation at Gamescon 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-3YBuFI3iI

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Makes u think.

Hope you're doing better.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Open Development.
Has anybody said Shroud Citizen yet?

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Open Development.

But they need to do that because spoilers/perfection/fidelity/you don't understand game development!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

It's getting redder and redderer! :ohdear:

Schedule began 7 weeks ago on April 14th 2017
  • 77 = Total tasks
  • 27 (35%) = Tasks completed
  • 11 (14%) = Tasks in-progress, not-delayed-yet
  • 32 (42%) = Tasks in-progress, delayed
  • 7 (9%) = Tasks in-progress, postponed/TBD

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Isn't that just the interface from the bottom of new concept ship sale pages?

Makes u think.

Hey Seraph.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hey guys two weeks to go before they finish the network code, who's excited?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Open Development.
Intel is also running the pc games show this year (the last few years it's been AMD) and supposedly there's supposed to be some SC footage

maybe this year we will get to see a crobbo letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

eXXon posted:

Hey guys two weeks to go before they finish the network code, who's excited?

Except there's no meaningful netcode work in the 3.x schedule.