Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
Guys I think CIG may have found a better way than nested GOTO statements...:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I was thinking more complimentary than comparing someone to Fishmech. Tenement Funster maybe.

edit: just joking.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

Splitting poo poo down into manageable pieces is not something that you do in year five, however.

I think it's okay as long as you give it a codename and version number

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Only in SC land can the equivalent of "we're building a car, and this year discovered you can weld metal together instead of banging on panels with rocks until they fuse" will get a standing ovation.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
Naw that's crazy talk. Like telling Ben he doesn't have to have a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts as a side every meal.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

I was thinking more complimentary than comparing someone to Fishmech. Tenement Funster maybe.

edit: just joking.

He has a heroic rapsheet at least.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

Why… why did the UEE kill my family?

I grew up in a poor mining village on Lago in Nexus. I can barely remember my childhood… the love of family, a warm bed, stories my Mother told me of heroes fighting monsters. Little did I know that I would become the monster.

In 2933 my life abruptly changed. I was only a child then. One day I was salvaging parts off of a wreckage… and it began. The UEE unleashed a brutal assault on my village. I could see the smoke rising in the distance. I ran home only to find my family had been murdered and my village destroyed. A pirate found me searching through the rubble and offered to let me board his ship. We escaped and hid in Cathcart before the UEE could find us.

I lost everything that day.

I had nowhere to go. He took me under his wing as his own child. He taught me how to survive… how to fight. Most importantly, he taught me the old ways… the Lemegeton… how to hack consciousness with ritual… with blood. I fell in love with him… but I never revealed it to him… or anyone.

We operated in very nefarious parts of the galaxy… sometimes profitable, but always dangerous. One day, while doing a drug trade, we were caught in a UEE sting operation. We were tried and sent to prison.

I never saw him again.

In prison, I was treated like a piece of meat. Every night the guards took turns having their way with me. I’d close my eyes and pray… I prayed to the spirits for vengeance. One night, the guard that came into my cell was drunk, he could barely stand. I knew this was my opportunity. As he began to violate me, I shanked him in the eye. After quickly grabbing his weapon and key codes, I released as many of my cellmates as I could. We overtook the complacent guards and made our escape sustaining only minor injuries.

I’ve been on the run ever since.

I reunited with my old comrades and began preparing… preparing for my fight against the system. With hate in my heart, I began to assemble a fleet… waiting for the day my love would be released from prison and together we’d unleash our vengeance. This was the birth of the Anarchy Crime Network… and the day I became 4narchistX.

Join the fight.

:stare:

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
Ah, code reuse, the software panacea!

Space ships, space stations, they're basically the same, right?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

DarkRefreshment posted:

Standard prison rape fantasy in SC fan fic. Nothing new here

I can't tell the difference between fan fiction and the official lore.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

Roberts' Law: Any game (real or theoretical) that does not have Chris Roberts at the helm is always closer to completion than one that does.
Corollary: Any game (real or theoretical) that does not have Chris Roberts at the helm is always higher quality than one that does.

Roberts Scale Scale to measure the ammount of deviation between a crowdsourcing project initial pitch and final delivered product. 1 being objectively exactly what was pitched and 10 being Star Citizen.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

why do shitzens always write the worst kind of fanfic

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

In prison, I was treated like a piece of meat. Every night the guards took turns having their way with me
That... that is not how I treat meat. I hope this person isn't a butcher.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

:chloe: What is it about star citizen that attracts crazy fuckers with rape fetishes and fantasies.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Sunswipe posted:

That... that is not how I treat meat. I hope this person isn't a butcher.
If you don't season your steaks without at least three loads then I feel bad for you. MoMA back me up on this.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

:chloe: What is it about star citizen that attracts crazy fuckers with rape fetishes and fantasies.
You can do anything in the 'verse. ANYTHING.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/870750895851487232

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU2DazrjD-A/

can wait

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

The inevitable consequence of being incarcerated

See ? No AIDS protection increase dramatically the occurrence of rape.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Have a look at the incel thread in GBS and you will understand the mind of the citizen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

CIG: this week we cover how we can store game text as 'text' in what's generally called 'strings' in computey language so we no longer have to do our legacy 'scan of chris' handwriting + lovely OCR software' setup

Citizen: :aaaaa:

I'm starting to believe the CIG database is actually some guy with a notebook trying to keep up with everything by hand.

Eventually they will discover a relational database and CR will be all "I have developed a new way of data handling that will improve the world!" :downsbravo:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

actually, this 100% owns and is the coolest thing ive seen from star citizen yet

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

:ughh:

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
:psypop:
Why... are these people reinventing the wheel? It's the most frustrating poo poo, I went through it once I started programming for a living then I realized that I should git gud and read some loving books so I don't waste my time.

In big projects like this, shouldn't there be some sort of coding standard (that also includes the basic poo poo), enforced by the coding SS? It might suck, but the project won't grind to a halt if Joe goes on vacation.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Just got back from the student film project that I bought my way into with 100's of thousands of dollars worth of backer-funded film equipment #la #hollywood #film #actress #acting #hireme #ohgod #desperate #Imayneverbefamous #pleaseletmebefamous

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I don't see people talking about this little piece of ATV that absolutely could be the most important aspect of item 2.0 and more importantly, the future of Star Citizen. Forgive my formatting, I'm on mobile...

Check out the video from 20:15 - 23:05. Here, we learn the development strategy CIG is using to rework the Item 2.0 system. This strategy is considered "Best Practice" in the industry, as large companies begin to lose control and maintainability in their systems. Large applications or businesses made up of many different large applications lose the ability to create new functionality and maintain the code they have if everytime they need a task done, they write new code to do it. This sounds like the method taken in the original item system that has been a nightmare to maintain and increased time on creating new mechanics.

Breaking code out into reusable components is the way of the future... this code is then never copy pasted into new code blocks, but rather is referenced by the code that needs it. What that means, is when you go to implement a functionality in 1 ship, it carries over the existing, WORKING, logic to handle that action. If a change is needed to that functionality as a whole, it's 1 code change in 1 place for potentially DOZENS of use cases across all ships, stations, buildings, etc.

What we see here is not just an optimization for the 3.0 release, but an investment in the games future and maintainability. These kinds of development strategies mean we can see new content created faster, and existing content balanced, with fewer bugs.

:gizz:

this is the good stuff

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Berious posted:

why do shitzens always write the worst kind of fanfic

I'm curious to know why they enjoy the rape fantasy, or the hard criminal who becomes the military hero. That's generally not how those go. I'm not saying it can't, but I know a lot of military guys and people with secret clearances and none of them have done worse than a traffic ticket.

And the really high grade people who can't even talk about their jobs usually also come with incredible education backgrounds from good schools.

So yeah. It's ok. Just occasionally you just got to wonder why they think the way they think. :confused:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lol he could have just said he really really loves his wife, but no... he said star citizen

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

let's put aside the fact this guy has (probably more, at this point) than 50k into this. I honestly believe he could be a prime candidate for a case study and a thesis for a doctorates in a varying degree of mental illnesses; I mean, how loving sad is your life that your hobby is literally giving money to a gently caress up of a game company

Looking at poo poo like this is why CIG deserves to collapse

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

She probably needs a raise for how hard she works at CIG. Nights, weekends, never any time for herself or her true passion of professional acting.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

nawledgelambo posted:

let's put aside the fact this guy has (probably more, at this point) than 50k into this. I honestly believe he could be a prime candidate for a case study and a thesis for a doctorates in a varying degree of mental illnesses; I mean, how loving sad is your life that your hobby is literally giving money to a gently caress up of a game company

CIG deserves to collapse, but these idiot backers deserve about 3 seconds of sympathy and then hours and hours of ridicule. A fool and his money and all that. Jeez. What a great scam. Wish I'd thought of it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

He has a heroic rapsheet at least.

Shitposting to aspire to.

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Have a look at the incel thread in GBS and you will understand the mind of the citizen.

Counterproposal: You cannot unsee those depths once exposed.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

CIG: this week we cover how we can store game text as 'text' in what's generally called 'strings' in computey language so we no longer have to do our legacy 'scan of chris' handwriting + lovely OCR software' setup

Citizen: :aaaaa:

I'd upvote this, but I have run out of mouseClick(x,y) calls, and need to go order some more. What is the keyboard shortcut for inserting your credit card into the internet?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

nawledgelambo posted:

What even is all that, the bags are obviously shirts or something

The boxes look like they're direct from China, but I can't even think of anything that CIG is shilling that he would want or need like 10 of

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

bbchops posted:

Ah, code reuse, the software panacea!

Space ships, space stations, they're basically the same, right?

Actually: yes.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

nawledgelambo posted:

Just to get cleared up on this: That guy is a video game journalist/writer and those boxes are donated by CIG so he can hand them out in some online raffles/competitions, right?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
The best part of the collapse if going to be seeing lots of "I knew it was a risk, I got value for my money and that Serek Dmart wasn't right about anything"

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It attracted a lot of people, but the crazy fuckers drove everyone else away so now they're all that's left.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Sillybones posted:

Just to get cleared up on this: That guy is a video game journalist/writer and those boxes are donated by CIG so he can hand them out in some online raffles/competitions, right?

pretty sure he's just some weeb with a lucrative tech job

Sappo569 posted:

What even is all that, the bags are obviously shirts or something

The boxes look like they're direct from China, but I can't even think of anything that CIG is shilling that he would want or need like 10 of

If I remember right, those polaris t-shirts were just now starting to get into backers hands, so maybe that (who knows why anyone would want any amount of whatever is in those boxes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
So it looks like CIG is going to miss E3 again this year.

http://mp037jm24.mapyourshow.com/7_0/alphalist.cfm?alpha=C

also no RSI.