Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Were the Ananta even a beast tribe by Garlean standards before the Empire pushed them into accidentally summoning Lakhshmi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Saint Freak posted:

He won't need to when he becomes the WoL's husband and can just point you at gods to kill because you're bored.

Renegret posted:

But I joined the flames to become Raubahn's husbandfu and by golly I will never betray him like that.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Just a big fuckin lol if you think the WoL is only going to have one husband

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Both Ala Mhigo and Doma were steamrolled fairly quickly when the empire rolled in. Ala Mhigo because it had just experienced a ruinous civil war to overthrow an insane king with a bad haircut, and Doma because it's society was so insular and corrupt that the leaders were unable to put up a real resistance and there were a bunch of people eager to stab their countrymen in the back (in some cases literally). They put up more of a fight in Doma but still never had a chance.

Basically when Gaius showed up in an airship the size of a small mountain at the head of a magitek army, the locals were already pretty much boned.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rand Brittain posted:

Were the Ananta even a beast tribe by Garlean standards before the Empire pushed them into accidentally summoning Lakhshmi?

This is something I was actually wondering. Especially since the Lupin/Lupan/Whatever were fighting (against their will) on the Garlean side despite being a Beast Tribe.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A husbandfu in every port citystate.

Unfortunately I already have Raubahn, Alphinaud, Aymeric, Haurchefant, and Hunberct Longhaft

to name a few

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Saint Freak posted:

I realized the real weapon against primals is the friends we make along the way. Especially the friend called Living Weapon God Slayer Warrior of Light.

I mean, remember Cid sorta joking during either Delta - or Sigmascape that your last resort against Omega was the WoL proving themselves the most powerful being in creation?

That would up happening, pretty much full-stop.

And then we go bearing down on anyone who summons a Primal like the goddamn Terminator, because the WoL is a player character.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how the story suggests Tsukuyomi was a weak Primal or whatever and every DF party with her is like "lol what's a stack marker?"

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
This thread: "Gaius is a monster and the empire is terrible for genociding beast tribes"

Also this thread: "lol gently caress the sahagin and kobolds am I right, go Maelstrom"

Renegret posted:

A husbandfu in every port citystate.

Unfortunately I already have Raubahn, Alphinaud, Aymeric, Haurchefant, and Hunberct Longhaft

to name a few

I'm not saying you have to pick just one, but IF YOU DID...

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Gaius was explicitly a social Darwinist who was wholly on board with "might makes right" as a philosophy, hence the whole yelling "Eorzea is mine by right!" at you during his boss battle. You're straight up told that the only reason he objected to Project Meteor was out of pragmatism, since he'd rather conquer a populated region than a burning hole in the ground where the survivors just hate your guts.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'm not saying you have to pick just one, but IF YOU DID...

FMK: FFXIV Husbandfus

Hunberct Longhaft, Raubahn, Haurchefant, in that order

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Rainuwastaken posted:

This thread: "Gaius is a monster and the empire is terrible for genociding beast tribes"

Also this thread: "lol gently caress the sahagin and kobolds am I right, go Maelstrom"

There's a difference between murdering someone because they're terrible and murdering someone terrible because you want to steal their stuff.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I submit to the "level is an indicator of time" theory, which means that because there's a small questline at level 12ish over by Red Rooster Stead where the kobolds have tunneled out and are harassing the farms, the Maelstrom is justified and Merlwyb did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Marathanes posted:

His actions as the viceroy of Ala Mhigo are the best argument so far for his irredeemablility though. I hadn't considered that he might be personally responsible for planning/directing the dehumanizing treatment of the Ala Mhigan people. Watch, we'll find out in the future that he opposed such actions, but he was overruled by the Emperor/Zenos and they try to present him as a repentant, responsibility accepting character (like a fictionalized version of Albert Speer or something? Someone that acknowledges they did something really bad and tries to make up for it in whatever way they can? I dunno man).

I don't think they'll take that track with him. The characterization of Gaius - including in his 4.4 dialogue - is that he's a true believer in the need for the world to have a firm guiding hand, but that he's otherwise a reasonable person who detests unnecessary cruelty and ruling through fear. It's likely that he really did try and treat Ala Mhigans well, stopped the production of Black Rose, and avoided indiscriminate slaughter. His failure isn't in him committing overtly evil acts; his failure is in believing in a horseshit imperialist philosophy in the first place, the result of which will be exactly what he was trying to prevent - indiscriminate slaughter and oppression through fear - every time.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

Naw, not even close. This thread has properly called out Limsa Lominsa's bullshit again and again.

So on the one hand you have the WoL butchering tempered beastmen, because as far as everyone knows there's no coming back from that, and working for an organisation that promotes diplomacy. On the other we have Gaius and his RAH RAH RAH GARLEAN MANIFEST DESTINY and making deals with spooky ghost dudes in order to get a shiny new weapon of mass destruction to be used to erase all beastmen.

Hmmmm.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Did the Garleans more directly persecute beastfolken in 1.0 or something? Like they obviously aren't fans of their poo poo but they just don't seem to have a lot of beastfolk to genocide. Even the primals are mostly a problem now because of the super-efficient methods the Ascians have leaked out, before then didn't it take like an entire national project to summon?

As for Tsukuyomi I imagine she had the advantage of the aether in the mirror, but also, Yotsuyu's grudge was considerable.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I get the impression that Gaius has pretty much given up on ruling and is intent to find a way to die while also taking as many Ascians with him as possible. It may be built up as another toxic revenge scheme preventing someone from finding redemption, or he might choose to divert from that due to intervention, etc.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Maelstrong forever, but also they aren't currently genociding the Sahagin and Kobolds. Being on the wrong side (at least with the Kobolds, Sahagin not so much) in ongoing skirmishes, sure. But there's no order to exterminate all the Kobolds, last I checked.

Also I am best friends with some Kobolds and Sahagin how dare you.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Limsa doesn't want to actively kill all the kobolds, no, but they do want to push into their territory as much as they can and take all their resources and at a certain point that's basically indistinguishable.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I just recently started playing and I'm slowly working my way through 2.2 while leveling crafting professions through beast tribe quests.

Did the Bahamut raid as a diversion last night, it was awesome! It was my first time in a raid setting in a MMO, despite playing WoW 10+ years ago, and I was impressed by how thematic things were.

2.2 quests are terrible, I'm just teleporting talking to a guy and teleporting.

edit: People like Maelstorm because of the later outfits, right? Gridania is racist and Uldir is corrupt so might as well go with the faction with a well tailored uniform.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

KPC_Mammon posted:

I just recently started playing and I'm slowly working my way through 2.2 while leveling crafting professions through beast tribe quests.

Did the Bahamut raid as a diversion last night, it was awesome! It was my first time in a raid setting in a MMO, despite playing WoW 10+ years ago, and I was impressed by how thematic things were.

2.2 quests are terrible, I'm just teleporting talking to a guy and teleporting.

edit: People like Maelstorm because of the later outfits, right? Gridania is racist and Uldir is corrupt so might as well go with the faction with a well tailored uniform.

If you're at all interested in PVP, Maelstrom also generally has their poo poo together more than the other two on many data centers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Maelstrom winning at Frontlines is a self-reinforcing loop. They win at PVP, so people motivated to win at all costs join them to win at PVP.

Also remind me to post my shotcaller Frontline macros when I get home. I swear they tack on an extra 20% win rate to Maelstrom.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 9, 2018

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Have genuinely just started instantly leaving in disgust every time I get a single-pulling tank in EX roulette. I can find other things to do for half an hour.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I spent a lot of time doing PvP this weekend, but not frontline.

Hot take: the feast is fun. I hadn't ever really done it before this weekend and I was surprised at how much fun I had with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Gaius wants to wipe beast tribes off the map, he just doesn't think unnecessary casualties should be part of that. Still, I'm pretty certain he sanctioned Livia's assault on the Waking Sands. So he's not above killing non beast people.

Oh, he's still a terrible person for sure; it's just that the rest of the Empire seems to be even more terrible. Like, during ARR I got the impression of the Empire being sort of paternalistic colonialists who commit a bunch of evils with a sort of civilized/pseudo-ethical mask, but Stormblood seems to be making it clear that they're even worse than that and ARR was actually painting them in a comparatively positive light.

(the assault on the waking sands is actually probably one of the more excusable actions, since the Scions are at least a kinda-sorta para-militaristic organization)

Failboattootoot posted:

Naw, Gaius genocided a fair number of beast tribes too. He is poo poo.

To be fair, the WoL is kinda guilty of this as well. With the exception of the minor "good beast people" factions, we slaughter nearly all beast tribe folks because most of them are in the process of trying to summon primals.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 9, 2018

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Can't summon a primal if you don't have any believers to summon :greenangel:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bolow posted:

We only beat up beastmen that wear the wrong gang colors.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Bolow posted:

Even Gaius eventually realized this wasn't gonna work and instead rebuilt a machine to permanently kill their gods in front of them. The machine just also happened to be a gigantic magical nuke and he just didn't know about it, woops.
We'll see where the story goes, but they've kinda settled on Gaius being as noble as a true-believing garlean can get, but the base ideology is irredeemable to begin with.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Is this where we go to DPS-shame?

I'm the DPS, and I was standing in the overlapped Big Bang AoEs on O9 but the LB3 cast was already almost done. :eng99:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The thing I'm interested to see is how Gaius responds to the knowledge that his beloved mentor is a condescending jerkass Ascian, and everything he was taught by Solus is the exact opposite of his true aims.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rainuwastaken posted:

Also this thread: "lol gently caress the sahagin and kobolds am I right, go Maelstrom

The kobolds got a raw deal once, but Merlwyb didn't order that. She can't help that they have a tiny island that people fled to after The Calamity. Maybe the kobolds could try and share.

And the Sahagin started it, they get whatever they get.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Monathin posted:

I'm the DPS, and I was standing in the overlapped Big Bang AoEs on O9 but the LB3 cast was already almost done. :eng99:

All these macros are absolutely cringeworthy.

Except boost.jpg. Boost.jpg is a cool guy.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

GATHER ROUND MY BROTHERANS

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Monathin posted:

I'm torn between scolding you for using a LB macro or complimenting you for being incredibly self aware about it.

And also I guess the source is pretty good too.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Renegret posted:

I'm torn between scolding you for using a LB macro or complimenting you for being incredibly self aware about it.

And also I guess the source is pretty good too.

This tier has shown us that even the end boss thinks LB macros are Important and Powerful so I say macro away, friend.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, guess I have to make Unlimited Blade Works macros for Flèche or Contre-Sixte now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Even if Gaius was a cool and noble person out to conquer people in the humane way he still, y'know, conquered them.

And that pretty much always sucks for whoever's conquered.

Also don't forget the Fordola flashback where her dad's stoned to death on his way to see Gaius and the Imperials do nothing because it's standard Imperial doctrine to let the locals have their tiffs amongst themselves because it makes them easier to manage.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I gotta come up with an LB3 macro for Satellite Beam. It begs for one, and I have no idea why Omega uses the BRD one instead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Even Omega doesn't want to play Machinist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The thing to remember is that while Gaius may personally be a little less of a jackass than other Garleans, like seeing merit in Rhitahtyn, he sure as hell did nothing to stop his subordinates from being super racist and prejudice. Nevermind what happened in Ala Mhigo when he's ruling in Garlemald's name, consider that even when he broke off and defied orders to conquer Eorzea with his own legion, he still couldn't or didn't get a handle on his own subordinates despite clearly recognizing that other Garleans would be racist towards Rhitahtyn. Hell, he even admonishes his men for abandoning Rhitahtyn because he assumes they abandoned him to die, when Rhitahtyn told his men to retreat and gave his life for them.

He's less of a jackass than many other Garleans but it's definitely not because there's a little good in him. He's just more pragmatic in his self-serving ways.