Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that didn't really hit me in Gears of War until I played the second one is that the first one is really bad at show don't tell which is weird for a videogame. The reason the Y button is necessary in that one is because you genuinely can't tell what you are looking at at times, like with the first Berzerker, I pressed Y and it pointed me to a smashable door, and my reaction was "It is? I had no idea that was breakable..." as it looks so similar to the rest of the wall. Still a distinct texture, but not one I'd have looked for unless the game told me it was there. The second one is much easier to figure out as it's visually far more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The subtitles in Shadow of the Tomb Raider looks really ugly.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wolfenstein 2/The New Colossus
The game has a neat perk system where you level up perks and get bonuses based on how you play, like getting headshots or kills with heavy weapons etc.
Except these only go up to like level 5, and you quickly max out all the ones relevant to your playstyle like halfway into the game.

I wish they just kept on rolling upwards forever, but with incrementally smaller rewards, or gave points to spend in stuff, or something.
It's always a bit annoying when a game has a progression system that just stops being relevant after a bit.

Though, I gues I'm thankful they didn't shoehorn in levels/experience to manage the perks, atleast.

e: also the game has a weapon upgrade system, except the majority of them are just garbage you don't bother picking unless you just have upgrade kits to spend.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Jan 4, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I'm wishing I didn't buy Jedi: Fallen Order. I got it because I thought it would be a tight and difficult action game like Dark Souls or something. I guess it's fairly difficult (playing on Jedi Master), but the controls are just so terrible that I can't get around it. The sliding and rope jumping crap is very bad, navigating the planets with no fast travel is just horrific, and the combat is just... not good either.

The parry is definitely the worst thing. It's like halfway between Sekiro and Dark Souls, but taking the worst of each. It just doesn't work. You need to not be blocking in order to parry, fair enough. But if an enemy tries to combo you, and you parry the first hit, the combo doesn't stop (like it does in Dark Souls) and it's incredibly hard to parry the rest of the attacks by tapping the block button (unlike in Sekiro). If you parry the first attack, you pretty much need to then hold the block button or else you're gonna get hit by the rest. So why parry at all? Even if the enemy only throws out one attack, the parry timing mostly feels weird and inconsistent anyway.

Then if you ignore the parry, the game just feels like a really sloppy brawler where you slide around dodging all over the place. Apparently the game is pretty short, too, so I'm actually decently far into it, which also surprised me because I thought I was pretty much at the beginning. Alongside the performance issues and load times on PS4, I dunno. I really liked Titanfall 2 so I kind of expected more from Respawn.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, when pawns and dwarves get mad about clothing quality and you have to keep tabs on the status of each individual's clothing and make a new set for each and every person who has a trashed up pair of clothes. Why not just put in a mender job who will take existing thread and cloth and fixes up gear automatically. Or just not deal with it all together.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Giving BotW another go, and for all my issues with it I think the one most ingrained at the very base level is that the UI just tells you if your inventory's full when you open a chest with a weapon or shield, without giving you a pop-up submenu to discard something. I'm already sick of it a few hours in because much of the game is entirely designed around that type of treasure chest reward balanced against your limited slots. So almost every single time you go through the same cycle of opening the chest, then backing out to your inventory screen to discard something, then going through the whole chest animation a second time.

So insanely aggravating after dozens/hundreds of repetitions, but something that would've been super easy to fix in testing for a huge QoL improvement.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Mechwarrior 5
Holy poo poo the game needs the ability to choose drop zones.
For one thing, rather than usual Mechwarrior "Superheavy* mechs are huge slow vulnerable firing platforms that are best deployed supported by a variety of lighter mechs", MW5's metagame is essentially "Drop only Superheavy* mechs because they have the most bang and most armor and you can only drop 4 total mechs, so dropping anything else is a waste of a slot"

They are still slow as poo poo, though. Some of the ""best"" go at a whopping 32 m/s (lighter/faster can get 100 m/s+). The random missions will sometimes drop you 3000m+ away from the target zone, meaning a shitload of meaningless walking.

Then we had this poo poo

The target had a hugeass canyon around it. Like the map was purpose-made to piss me off. Guess where evac was?

*Yes I know they are called Assault, not everyone knows MW terminology ya nerd

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Leal posted:

Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, when pawns and dwarves get mad about clothing quality and you have to keep tabs on the status of each individual's clothing and make a new set for each and every person who has a trashed up pair of clothes. Why not just put in a mender job who will take existing thread and cloth and fixes up gear automatically. Or just not deal with it all together.

In Rimworld you can set them to only wear clothing of 50%+ durability (and at least normal or good quality or whatever you want.)
You can then set the tailor to always have at least x amount of pants/shirts/etc in storage of at least 50% durability, and your pawns will swap them out whenever they need to. Whenever they change their 49% shirt for a 100% shirt the tailor will see you have one good ahirt too few and make a new one.

You can automate these things so you don't have to keep tabs on your pawns individually, and gives you a lot of control over what they wear.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Taeke posted:

You can then set the tailor to always have at least x amount of pants/shirts/etc in storage of at least 50% durability,

Oh god dammit

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished Death Stranding and that game has a similar problem to MGSV where there are a bunch of weapons and items that the game never gives you a good reason to use. Your interactions with enemies/the world aren't complex enough that you need stuff like decoy cargo or a grenade that causes enemies to slip and fall.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

muscles like this! posted:

I finished Death Stranding and that game has a similar problem to MGSV where there are a bunch of weapons and items that the game never gives you a good reason to use. Your interactions with enemies/the world aren't complex enough that you need stuff like decoy cargo or a grenade that causes enemies to slip and fall.

So, if it's anything like MGSV, those things are secretly absurdly overpowered and Chip Cheezum will eventually provide extensive video evidence?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mario platformers still having 'lives'.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Necrothatcher posted:

Mario platformers still having 'lives'.

id like to add any 2d platformer with autoscrolling screen sections or anything resembling the battletoads bike race level

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

ASenileAnimal posted:

id like to add any 2d platformer with autoscrolling screen sections or anything resembling the battletoads bike race level

No, it’s “meta”! Meta means making jokes about bad mechanics but still having the bad mechanics, right?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

It really is a setting with limited possibilities. Even New Vegas 200 years after the bombs dropping everything looks bombed out and lovely outside of a few places because thats the aesthetic people want. I wish Sawyer had been able to finish his Fallout tabletop game and published sourcebooks instead rather than having to keep continuing a loose storyline.

OWB for Hearts of Iron has kind of become the best Fallout thing in quite a while just reasons like this. Just wait till me and another goon get done shoving (western at first) Canada in.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Leal posted:

Oh god dammit

Yeah, no joke, but take a good look at all the menus and options and stuff. It's kinda surprising how much you can automate and tailor (heh) to your exact needs.

Another helpful tip: when you're crafting stone blocks for example, have a low priority stockpile for just blocks right next to the bench, then set the bench to drop at that stockpile in the bill. Your block crafter will keep churning them out without constantly hauling a single set of blocks to the stockpile, instead just dropping them at his feet for your haulers to take them to the higher priority stockpile whenever is convenient. You can do this with every type of item you craft and it makes everything so much more efficient.

In the workbill you can also set the job for a specific pawn, or only pawns with a minimum level of that particular skill.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

A multi-game annoyance: Characters having a move that's hard to do, so that trying to use it in a combat situation leads to failure and death. Currently I'm being annoyed by the chain dash in Hyper Light Drifter, but there's also the dash attack in various Ys games and to a lesser extent the kick in Dark Souls.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The move in those Ys games (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is really weird. I've never managed to do it when stopping after prolonged movement, only by standing still, moving in a direction for a split moment, then shortly after stopping again attacking. In Ys 6 there's a part where you have to use that move to reach a platform, but the platform is very small too so it'll take a few tries to land on it and not accidentally run right off. IIRC at least it's for some optional thing, but I don't actually remember what that got you.

e: oh, and the chain dashing in Hyper Light is extra annoying because the timing on chaining dashes changes every dash up until a certain point where it finally becomes constant (but also very tight)

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Jan 5, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A small thing that if the characters hadn't called attention to it wouldn't have bothered me: In the Gears of War games (I've beaten 1-3 now), Carmine establishes that the gear helmets have filters for air in them, so he isn't bothered by dust and poison. Marcus multiple times in Gears 2 whines about bad air making it hard for him to breathe, notably in the Riftworm's intestine and on the boat at some point ("Should we be breathing this crap?" "Too Late.."). That's why Gears have helmets Marcus! PUT ON YOUR HELMET!

Also protecting the radar dishes during the Jacinto siege was really loving irritating.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BioEnchanted posted:

A small thing that if the characters hadn't called attention to it wouldn't have bothered me: In the Gears of War games (I've beaten 1-3 now), Carmine establishes that the gear helmets have filters for air in them, so he isn't bothered by dust and poison. Marcus multiple times in Gears 2 whines about bad air making it hard for him to breathe, notably in the Riftworm's intestine and on the boat at some point ("Should we be breathing this crap?" "Too Late.."). That's why Gears have helmets Marcus! PUT ON YOUR HELMET!

Also protecting the radar dishes during the Jacinto siege was really loving irritating.

Heroes don't wear helmets, it would cover their face. Particularly in gears of war it would be bad because you wouldn't be able to tell the slabs of meat apart if they didn't have different faces.

Game of thrones worked on the same principle.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Heroes don't wear helmets, it would cover their face. Particularly in gears of war it would be bad because you wouldn't be able to tell the slabs of meat apart if they didn't have different faces.

The brothers Carmine are my heroes. :colbert:

<3 those sweet bois.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ilmucche posted:

Your survivability in Gears of War largely depends on your muscle mass first and foremost. Not like, even in a physical firefight or anything; if you're a squad of normal soldiers wearing face obscuring masks, you're just going to get got. But if you're a grizzled and jacked monster man, you're basically immortal.

Unless you make the mistake of showing any emotion beyond stoic anger in the face of your enemy, or gleeful whimsy while murdering them. You gotta be careful any time a main character shows an emotion outside of that limited scope, or god forbid they care about something other than wanton destruction and slaughter. First time I remember that happening is in Gears of War 2, I think, where one of your squad just can't take any more torture and then he's dead.

Basically, what I'm saying is that If those poor carmine boys lifted more they might've lived.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

I hate the Former from Control. Who thought it was a good idea to have the boss punch holes in the floor in a fight where you’re constantly looking upwards and falling is instant death. Who liked it so much that you have to fight it twice.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you hate the former wait till you fight the latter

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Van Kraken posted:

I hate the Former from Control. Who thought it was a good idea to have the boss punch holes in the floor in a fight where you’re constantly looking upwards and falling is instant death. Who liked it so much that you have to fight it twice.

The only time you need to look up is when you're firing stuff at him, and therefore don't need to move. The only time you need to be moving is when he's doing smash attacks and you can't really hurt him, so you should be looking forward/at the ground.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Morpheus posted:

The only time you need to look up is when you're firing stuff at him, and therefore don't need to move. The only time you need to be moving is when he's doing smash attacks and you can't really hurt him, so you should be looking forward/at the ground.

Yeah maybe I was a bit overzealous about shooting at him. Mostly just mad at myself for somehow not learning after the first time I dodged left and then right, directly into the hole opened up by the first attack. And then forgetting that lesson again in between fights. When I type it out it makes me seem very stupid, because I am.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I did it a few times too. I don't think it's a very good boss arena.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Be patient and just throw his own eyebeams back at him, they do like 30% damage each and keep more holes from showing up on the floor.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
In FFXIV, a LOT of cutscenes start looking up and slooowly pan down. Then if it's multiple groups, it does a slow look at each group followed by a slow zoom in on the group that starts talking. If something 'surprising' is said, npcs are shown reacting to it, sometimes individually, also slow drawn out animations, and when the cutscene is over, everyone slowly walks away (sometimes one at a time) while you're locked in place unable to do anything.

It's a good game otherwise, but after a marathon MSQ session, stuff like this gets incredibly annoying.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah...it went better the second time but it's easy to get forgetful and just walk into a hole while you're dodging around. I was never happy with the whole "falling = instadeath" setup for that game, given the loading times and sometimes-sparse checkpointing. Usually it's bearable, but some trouble spots like that one feel like they'd work better if it just took out a chunk of health.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Playing through Hollow Knight for the first time and I am so sick of games doing that thing where the game hangs for a few frames when you hit things/get hit. It's always awful but it's worse here because if you hit the enemy just as it's attacking it freezes for slightly longer. It makes the game's timings feel real inconsistent and just generally always makes games feel laggy and less responsive. I hate that some form of it exists in like 50% of all games with melee combat and it's like 3/4ths of the reason I generally prefer my platformers/metroidvanias to be based on ranged characters as fewer devs add that sort of nonsense to ranged attacks. (albeit they often find other awful nonsense like randomized projectile trajectories)

Worse though, if only because I'm less used to it, is the deadening of the music and sounds when you take a hit. It's incredibly distracting and makes me much more likely to take another hit. The boss fights are more than hard enough without this annoying crap.

Also requiring a charm slot to show you where you are on the map is just mean and unnecessary.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

Oxxidation posted:

monster boy and the cursed kingdom is charming and all but its metroidvania elements really aren't doing it any favors, the map is very large and you are given very little indication as to whether or not you missed a chest or a door or an invisible wall

I know this is from a few pages back, but a character in one of the towns eventually shows you where missed chests are in exchange for Rainbow Drops.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Queen Combat posted:

Exactly.

Disco Elysium is the perfect game and I'll never play more than the three hours I did. It's perfect and I'm glad it exists and it deserves game of the decade but it's not for me I don't have the goddamn time.

It's actually not that long, like 20-25 hours maybe. It's almost entirely dependent on how fast you read. That '60 hours' estimate was if you do multiple playthroughs since it's impossible to get all the different reactions to everything on a single run.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

exquisite tea posted:

Be patient and just throw his own eyebeams back at him, they do like 30% damage each and keep more holes from showing up on the floor.

Yeah, but in the final phase of the fight you can no longer do that. The fungal boss also has bullshit in its final phase.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Nuebot posted:

Your survivability in Gears of War largely depends on your muscle mass first and foremost. Not like, even in a physical firefight or anything; if you're a squad of normal soldiers wearing face obscuring masks, you're just going to get got. But if you're a grizzled and jacked monster man, you're basically immortal.

Unless you make the mistake of showing any emotion beyond stoic anger in the face of your enemy, or gleeful whimsy while murdering them. You gotta be careful any time a main character shows an emotion outside of that limited scope, or god forbid they care about something other than wanton destruction and slaughter. First time I remember that happening is in Gears of War 2, I think, where one of your squad just can't take any more torture and then he's dead.

Basically, what I'm saying is that If those poor carmine boys lifted more they might've lived.

One of the Carmines is back in the new game and he got the message, ditched the sleeves, and got huge.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I think the only characterization I liked in the entire gears of war games was Carmine C. in GoW3. If you haven't played, the Carmines are brothers who show up in every Gears game in the first trilogy, and in the first two games brothers A. and B. Both meet grisly, untimely ends and that's when your heroes really buckle down and get poo poo done. Their voices are pinched and nasally, they're far less muscular, and they're always new and worried and nervous. In GoW3 Carmine C shows up and he's jacked as hell and super badass and competent. There's like 3 or 4 cutscenes were he almost dies or appears dead with fakeout musical stings and character reactions, but he always powers through and continues kicking rear end, completely defying both the players and the in-game characters expectations entirely, it's pretty great.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, I've been thinking about this for a while too. You know how good games will let you put on armor and then toggle whether it displays or not? Just do that in universe. It seems perfect for video games. Everyone can see each other's faces unless they're not a part of your army/unit/faction/etc, but if poo poo happens then they're not completely defenseless.

Van Kraken posted:

Yeah maybe I was a bit overzealous about shooting at him. Mostly just mad at myself for somehow not learning after the first time I dodged left and then right, directly into the hole opened up by the first attack. And then forgetting that lesson again in between fights. When I type it out it makes me seem very stupid, because I am.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, loved Carmine picking up and reattaching his helmet in the ending of 3. It's a shame they apparently don't keep showing up, It would have been nice to get a Carmine Sister in Gears 5 (because that's the one with the female protagonists)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, loved Carmine picking up and reattaching his helmet in the ending of 3. It's a shame they apparently don't keep showing up, It would have been nice to get a Carmine Sister in Gears 5 (because that's the one with the female protagonists)

The character who JD accidentally nukes with the hammer of dawn in act 1 was Niece Carmine iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The character who JD accidentally nukes with the hammer of dawn in act 1 was Niece Carmine iirc

Oh so they do do that? Cool, I don't have an Xbox 1 so didn't know that they keep showing up. The prior post implied they stopped after Gears 3