Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you think holy is a boring button you aren't pressing it enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

homeless snail posted:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
No one is in a party with me nor am I near anyone right now as I do some quests and I keep hearing harp noises??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

verbal enema posted:

No one is in a party with me nor am I near anyone right now as I do some quests and I keep hearing harp noises??

Someone is probably close enough that you're hearing their Performance action.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

verbal enema posted:

It's the ghosts getting prepped for the halloween event.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

homeless snail posted:

:emptyquote:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Gravity being a level 52 spell instead of level 50 is bullshit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think it's a problem that all the cool spells come after level 50 and therefore the first 50 levels suck. Also for down leveling in dungeons. They should fix this. Thanks.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Finally managed to solo T13 today. Bahamut is holding out on me when it comes to books, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CYBEReris posted:

only annoying thing about leveling AST is how late Gravity comes, everything else is fine

And Malefic II. :colbert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

AST is the best healer. Pet classes are bad, WHM is hyper boring to play and is the most brain dead class in the game.

AST requires being better at this game than I will ever be. Managing the cards is just too much, and if I'm understanding this Earthly Star ability correctly, you have to actually manage its timing to get its maximized AoE heal off at the right time (seems like you have to use it at least 10 seconds before you'll need it, but no more than 20?). I realize that I could still perform just fine for almost all normal content even if I'm doing the cards super sub-optimally, but it would bother me the entire time.

The scales and horns are fine on other characters, but they do not belong on my protagonist.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Earthly Star autopops you know.

Also disgusting. You're one of those people who would use the No Scales/Horns mod.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I’ve mellowed back out on 4.4, probably because I’ve logged on the past couple of days and gotten actually good dungeons and stuff in roulettes. Gubal HM, Dun Scaith, and The Vault are a good reminder of why this game is worth playing, though I still don’t know why it gives me crap like Chrysalis and Dzemael so often. Or why O10S is such a pain, but details.

Also, after some back and forth in my static, SCHOOL IS BACK IN SESSION. Which is to say that I'm back to raiding on noted Best Job Scholar, and I can break out my favorite glamour again! :eng101:

Also, if any Aether DPS players (preferably DRG, MNK, NIN, or a caster would probably work too) need an MC static, let me know. We probably won't implode for at least a couple more weeks!

and one picture of elezens on a beach for good measure

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 14, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ytlaya posted:

AST requires being better at this game than I will ever be. Managing the cards is just too much, and if I'm understanding this Earthly Star ability correctly, you have to actually manage its timing to get its maximized AoE heal off at the right time (seems like you have to use it at least 10 seconds before you'll need it, but no more than 20?). I realize that I could still perform just fine for almost all normal content even if I'm doing the cards super sub-optimally, but it would bother me the entire time.

ES is easy, Smaller Heal for the first ten seconds it's out, 1 half second to transition, 10 seconds of being a big heal. It auto pops at the end of the last 10 seconds or you can pop it early. Pressing it in transitional phase makes it hold off popping until it's proper big. It's one of the best spells in the game and all you really have to do is know there's gonna be an aoe/stack mechanic in the next 10 seconds and slap it down. It makes white hole mechanics a joke.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That is a huge book, where do I get one?

Also, I was annoyed that AST get Helios before Benefic after I had to heal story Ifrit using only Helios, but APPARENTLY Benefic and Benefic II are different spells and I've healed my way up to 60 without using my bread-and-butter spell.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Time to go 46 to 49 and then kick these imperial dickheads in the nuts and boobs

Also the Monk Job feather is good because it doesn't make my pompadour disappear

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 14, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Redecorated my exterior for the fall, feels good walking through it with the falling leaves and the benches

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Rand Brittain posted:

That is a huge book, where do I get one?

Also, I was annoyed that AST get Helios before Benefic after I had to heal story Ifrit using only Helios, but APPARENTLY Benefic and Benefic II are different spells and I've healed my way up to 60 without using my bread-and-butter spell.

That's Tsukuyomi's Codex, so it's an Ex Primal weapon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm sleep darting imperials in the MSQ now. Yugiri commented on me being a Ninja and said Oboro would be proud.

I like how they really don't pull any punches about how brutal the imperials are.

edit: I thought I recognize this Isse's guy's VA, and it turns out it's the same guy who does Urianger, lol

edit2: lol that I don't have any dialogue option that isn't going along with Yugiri into Zenos's super obvious trap

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 14, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I redid my room.

Ytlaya posted:

lol that I don't have any dialogue option that isn't going along with Yugiri into Zenos's super obvious trap

I'm sure things will work out.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

obliviously walking into traps is extremely heroic

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Any loser can walk into a trap.

Heroism is deliberately walking into a trap and then succeeding anyway because the God of the plot demands it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
No see, because they KNEW it was a trap, thats why they succeed. If you know a trap is a trap then its fine to just run into it, it wont work if you already know its a trap.

Unless the antagonist planned on the protagonist knowing that the trap was a trap and therefore the antagonist had another plan to trap a hero who knew they were walking into a trap.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So the MSQ is sending me back to Eorzea, but first I must do this quest where I help this failson wolfman. (oh wait it's not sending me to Eorzia, I mixed up the Azim Steppes and Gyr Abania for some reason)

edit: I'm looking forward to the expansion after next that is about the trade wars between Lolorito and Doma, now lead by the oligarch warlord Gyorin.

edit2: I feel like this business of giving each zone at least one long quest chain where you meet a bunch of random NPCs is relatively new to Stormblood; don't remember this being as much of a thing in Heavensward, at least to the same extent. It reminds me of what WoW does with its zones, and it's probably one of the better things to "copy."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 14, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Special quest chains in the overworld zones also happened in Heavensward (and in fact flying in those zones used to be locked behind them!) though after aether currents were changed the quests became much less obvious.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Did the HW questlines have the little pictures in the quest window to make it super obvious like SB does?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I believe they did.

Thundarr posted:

Special quest chains in the overworld zones also happened in Heavensward (and in fact flying in those zones used to be locked behind them!) though after aether currents were changed the quests became much less obvious.

Yeah, I remember they existed, but I don't remember them being quite as long or involved. Like, there was the one where you help that mog dude who wanted to become part of the mog-guard (and other similar things), but I don't remember chains like that having quite as much in the way of cutscenes and NPC involvement as the Gyorin/wolf-dude or "guy who can only fish up bomb-fishes" quest chains. Like, the fact I can't remember them super clearly despite having just played through them recently kinda speaks to that, while I doubt I'll forget that the Ruby Sea is the zone with bomb-fish dude, etc.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 14, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How did I forget bomb-fish guy?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only not MSQ quest-line from HW that I remember is the only as you progressed you kept coming back and trying to help that brume kid and they ended up freezing to death in an alley anyway.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like these fantasy Mongolian clothes and hope I get some for my character.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

I like these fantasy Mongolian clothes and hope I get some for my character.

Good news! The drops from the level 65 dungeon, and some of the leveling gear for both crafters and gatherers, shares that look.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I started playing the FF14 free trial a couple months back, and it’s been fairly enjoyable. I started as a pugilist because I hear they have fun quests, but I soon ended up drifting over to the mage classes. So far, Thaumaturge feels strongest. As soon as I got Drain, I seemed to be basically unbeatable if I just spammed Drain after blowing my initial MP on damage spells and then switching to ice MP regen mode.

It’s not useful in dungeons, and I still need to use Sleep if I get attacked by groups, but so far being a blasty mage feels like the strongest solo class. I’m a little worried about hitting the money csp, hovering around 24k gil at level 25, and all my gear is current. Definitely looking forward to seeing how things change when I can promote to Black Mage later!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Almost done...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

avoraciopoctules posted:

I started playing the FF14 free trial a couple months back, and it’s been fairly enjoyable. I started as a pugilist because I hear they have fun quests, but I soon ended up drifting over to the mage classes. So far, Thaumaturge feels strongest. As soon as I got Drain, I seemed to be basically unbeatable if I just spammed Drain after blowing my initial MP on damage spells and then switching to ice MP regen mode.

It’s not useful in dungeons, and I still need to use Sleep if I get attacked by groups, but so far being a blasty mage feels like the strongest solo class. I’m a little worried about hitting the money csp, hovering around 24k gil at level 25, and all my gear is current. Definitely looking forward to seeing how things change when I can promote to Black Mage later!

Money shouldn't really factor into gearing, at least when you're playing your first class/job. I'm level 65 now on my main job (which has switched around a bit but is Ninja now) and only really used money optionally for buying some (likely unnecessary) gear for other jobs I'm leveling. I'm trying to save it up for when I do more crafting stuff later (I'm up to a little over 3.2M now).

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

Saint Freak posted:

Almost done...

Glad to see you have Weaver at 70 since you probably go through a steady supply of socks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Almost done...

Same.

Soon I'll be free of the grind!

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Same, just got SAM left

Although I am leveling it by mopping up every sidequest I haven't done so far, so it's gonna take awhile.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I finished all my jobs about a month ago, gearing and using them is taking much longer. There's a bunch of lvl70 skills I've never used.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I just relearn all the classes I don't normally play when it's time to level them in the next expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ytlaya posted:

Money shouldn't really factor into gearing, at least when you're playing your first class/job. I'm level 65 now on my main job (which has switched around a bit but is Ninja now) and only really used money optionally for buying some (likely unnecessary) gear for other jobs I'm leveling. I'm trying to save it up for when I do more crafting stuff later (I'm up to a little over 3.2M now).

Welcome to Clan Weeb, enjoy the teachings of Oboro-san