Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Oof, that stinks. I may wind up selling the little guy as it's unlikely I'd want to mess around with FTP and that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly it's not difficult, I just use ftpd on the 3DS and Filezilla on my PC. The worst part about it is you should leave a fair bit of time if you're going to transfer a game to or from it, because the 3DS' WiFi card ain't so great.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
https://store.ifixit.co.uk/products...=32_IF258-027-2 Ifixit UK has some 3DS XL batteries in stock. Does the New 3DS XL take the same battery or do they have their own?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re the same iirc

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battery-pack-rsoc-103976/

yeah SPR-003 is for both the original and new XL models

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The Metroid 2 remake is a decent platformer on the system, and there is Shinobi, which is fine.
Other than that I can't think of many apart from the Kirby games and Mario 3D land of course

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nybble posted:

Any other good recommendations? Especially action or platforming, I feel like that's my blind spot for games on the system.

Super Monkey Ball is fun and makes good use of the 3D. Also don't overlook the 3D Sega classics. Outrun, Space Harrier, and Gunstar Heroes all look great in 3D

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

repiv posted:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battery-pack-rsoc-103976/

yeah SPR-003 is for both the original and new XL models

Ah thanks, I'll pick one up as a backup then. My original one is still good but it'll be nice to have.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I tried Kid Icarus recently which is supposed to be one of the best games on the platform but I find the controls really janky and annoying to use. Looks reasonably nice, at least.

Also tried Mario Golf which I'm mostly powering through based solely on the strength of watching Waluigi's various emotes at the end of each hole. In fairness, not sure what I was expecting to get out of a golf game.

I've gotten hooked on... Angry Birds, of all things (don't think I've played/thought about it in ten years). There's a lot of content in that 3DS version! The 3D is mainly just menus and a bit with the background, but it still looks/controls pretty well.

Any suggestions for good "long flight" games I might not already have? I guess by that I mean single player, no internet connection needed*, no weird waggle controls with accelerometer (sorry, Warioware).

*mostly thinking in terms of having to look stuff up

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 15, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Mufuckin Picross. Any of them. And any of the 3DS Kirby games (except maybe Epic Yarn)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pocket Card Jockey.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

For rhythm games: theatrhythm or the other rhythm game the name escapes me…

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

rhythm heaven?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

rhythm heaven?

Goodness, thank you. yes.

Great airplane games. You may think tapping would bother people but there's so much ambient noise and everyone has headphones you can go wild.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

C-Euro posted:

Shots fired
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1672288633703809024?t=Ym3TYVl8aX7PYL-PCqE2Ew&s=19

I still need to do a first-time mod of my 3DS :( Haven't downloaded the latest firmware at least!

Ok this pushed me to play one of the games I bought, a little 3ds eshop exclusive Attack of the Friday Monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9EfUyLIUUg

It was cute and short, like a few hours, and that was a good length. I know there's a series of these kinda kid slice of life games, very chill, but not much game to it, you just walk and talk and play a simple card game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fall down, bo bo bo-byuun!

I am your boss now :colbert:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mierenneuker posted:

Fall down, bo bo bo-byuun!

I am your boss now :colbert:

:negative:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Goodness, thank you. yes.

Great airplane games. You may think tapping would bother people but there's so much ambient noise and everyone has headphones you can go wild.

You can use the buttons on the 3DS Rhythm Heaven so it's not going to be obnoxious on a plane like the DS one would be.

As far Angry Birds, I will go into bat for the console ports (360 is my jam) because you cannot play the original game on a phone anymore. Whether you bought it or not, the phone version is now a hellhole of IAP and ads.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

~Coxy posted:

You can use the buttons on the 3DS Rhythm Heaven so it's not going to be obnoxious on a plane like the DS one would be.

As far Angry Birds, I will go into bat for the console ports (360 is my jam) because you cannot play the original game on a phone anymore. Whether you bought it or not, the phone version is now a hellhole of IAP and ads.

It's because those darn stupid consumers wouldn't buy the monetized sequels, so they had no choice but to cripple the original to force them to migrate.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Heath posted:

Mufuckin Picross. Any of them. And any of the 3DS Kirby games (except maybe Epic Yarn)

Back when I followed the Switch thread more closely I tuned out everyone raving about Picross. Well, tried it a few days ago and it's very much my jam. A relaxing challenge, like doing a crossword.

Any general tips for starting out on ones where most of your numbers are 1-4 would be very helpful.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I hadn't thought of rhythm games, will have to give that a go!

~Coxy posted:

Hadn't thought of dipping in to the mobile versions again, but they did Peggle dirty in the same way. I still have a 1st gen iPad with the original game on it, my partner and I call it "the Peggle board".

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Back when I followed the Switch thread more closely I tuned out everyone raving about Picross. Well, tried it a few days ago and it's very much my jam. A relaxing challenge, like doing a crossword.

Any general tips for starting out on ones where most of your numbers are 1-4 would be very helpful.

After you’ve taken care any of the large numbers that are at least half of the size, and then mark the X’s where appropriate, you can then suss out where some of those smaller numbers fit.

An easy one is when you get a “3 3 2” on a 10-size row/column; the numbers plus X’s = 10 and you can complete it immediately.

It can feel like a chore sometimes, but adding the X’s really help you visualize and mark off sections to make finishing the puzzle quick after a certain point.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Picross 3D on the DS and Picross 3D Round 2 are among the best games on their respective systems. Great games.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re also some if the best games of all time

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Kinda disagree. Too many dimensions. Normal Picross will never be beaten

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It was beaten, by Picross 3D Round 2

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The major key that solves a lot all on its own is to add the numbers plus the number of numbers (to account for the minimum spaces between the marked groups), minus 1 (to avoid the "fencepost error"), and compare to the length of the row/column.

For example, if the row is of length 15 and you have "5 4 2", then 5+4+2+3-1=13, which is 2 less than 15, so you can place regions starting 2 inwards, with ??xxx???xx?????.

If you write out all the ways to place 5 4 2, you'll get a feel for what this does/why this works.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Picross 3D 2 is one of the best games of all time until you start seeing blocks whenever you close your eyes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

For real though Picross 3D is the best answer. DO get those.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Alxprit posted:

Kinda disagree. Too many dimensions. Normal Picross will never be beaten

I'm with you. Always preferred standard picross and the e series on 3ds is unmatched. I've played each of the 8 of them 2 or 3 times. The ones on switch aren't the same cause I don't like playing picross with a controller (3ds continues to be the best Nintendo handheld)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does the touch screen on the switch not work?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Resdfru posted:

I'm with you. Always preferred standard picross and the e series on 3ds is unmatched. I've played each of the 8 of them 2 or 3 times. The ones on switch aren't the same cause I don't like playing picross with a controller (3ds continues to be the best Nintendo handheld)

3D picross isn't really very hard but in theory offers dozens of mini-puzzles in one to make a fun pixel block thing. I just like the presentation of the thing. The little blurbs and animations. Chiseling is also just so satisfying. Voxelgram is a good take on it too even if the controls are a bit wonky. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Picross 3D. It's on Steam and the Switch so... yeah.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's hosed up picross 3D round 2 removed the weird hideous duck mascot from the original game

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Resdfru posted:

imo the 3ds picross games seem harder than the switch ones

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Resdfru posted:

There's a Picross e9 that only came out in Japan that I just finished last night.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Heath posted:

Does the touch screen on the switch not work?

It does but I can't find the stylus in any of the little holes!

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Oops double post

WHY BONER NOW posted:

imo the 3ds picross games seem harder than the switch ones

100YrsofAttitude posted:

3D picross isn't really very hard but in theory offers dozens of mini-puzzles in one to make a fun pixel block thing. I just like the presentation of the thing. The little blurbs and animations. Chiseling is also just so satisfying. Voxelgram is a good take on it too even if the controls are a bit wonky. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Picross 3D. It's on Steam and the Switch so... yeah.

I'll have to try it again. I think the last time I tried the 3d one was the original ds, however long ago that was

Breadallelogram posted:

There's a Picross e9 that only came out in Japan that I just finished last night.

Oh nice, thanks I'll get this

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok I found a thread called 3DS homebrew and the last post is from 2015

According to Reddit as of 2015 flashcards are dead technology and everyone has gone to custom firmware

https://www.reddit.com/r/flashcarts/comments/6u7f59/a_note_about_flashcarts_for_playing_3ds_games_on/

Can someone give me the run down on what the best firmware is, how I can backup my existing games/saves etc

I think the last time I powered it on was 2020 during lockdown to check on animal crossing stuff so presumably I can root it

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Hadlock posted:

Ok I found a thread called 3DS homebrew and the last post is from 2015

According to Reddit as of 2015 flashcards are dead technology and everyone has gone to custom firmware

https://www.reddit.com/r/flashcarts/comments/6u7f59/a_note_about_flashcarts_for_playing_3ds_games_on/

Can someone give me the run down on what the best firmware is, how I can backup my existing games/saves etc

I think the last time I powered it on was 2020 during lockdown to check on animal crossing stuff so presumably I can root it

https://3ds.hacks.guide/ may have an answer to the saves. I did my 3dses ages ago and lost all my saves on the 1st but kept them on the 2nd so I know it's possible.

Luma3ds is more than likely the only cfw you should run

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

http://3ds.hacks.guide/ has everything you need to hack your 3/2DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok cool thanks much :cheers: that's tonight's project I guess