Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SpaceDrake posted:

So for the Ys fans here, and I know you exist and are Righteous Men, Ys Origin is now definitely landing this month.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/04/ys-origin-comes-to-steam-with-english-text-in-may/

Cannot loving wait. Absolutely cannot loving wait. Especially since, in a lot of ways, it's the best of the Ark Engine-based Ys games. And after this, that'll leave just IV and V unreleased here.
It shall be done. This should hopefully provide us with a version that will run well on Windows 7.

Ys IV is getting that Vita remake, so we'll have to wait for that at least. Ys V has only been released on SNES and is kind of mediocre (or so I hear). Maybe another re-release for that is on the way.

And then we'll have them all :allears: Well, all the ones that matter anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Personally I've been using my Vita for Disgaea 3 and Tactics Ogre. Waiting on Persona 4, but try 3 if you haven't.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
welp beat Shadow Hearts 2 & 3 over the course of two months. Great games playing them back to back really makes you appreciate the improvements to the battle mechanics they made in 3. Better thought out systems and harder gameplay, though the game is still easy even if it isn't a complete cakewalk like 2.

And now I'm kinda looking for something to replay in my PS2 rpg games in between practicing fighting games. I'm honestly leaning towards Star Ocean 3. Having played it before, can someone give me an honest review of pretty much every aspect of the game from plot to gameplay mechanics. Get as indepth as possible, I honestly wanna hear some opinions.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

And now I'm kinda looking for something to replay in my PS2 rpg games in between practicing fighting games. I'm honestly leaning towards Star Ocean 3. Having played it before, can someone give me an honest review of pretty much every aspect of the game from plot to gameplay mechanics. Get as indepth as possible, I honestly wanna hear some opinions.

Plot is hilariously bad in multiple ways, battle system loving owns and there's a lot of replayability there due to multiple difficulty levels and battle trophies. Also given that it's a Tri-Ace game there are post-story optional dungeons and bosses that are mind bogglingly difficult.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So I was thinking of trying Ys. I've got a PSP so I'm torn between 7 and Oath in Felghana. Any opinions? Both?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oath is the best game in the series, 7 is new twists on that formula. Get Oath.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Not sure where to ask this so I thought this thread would be as good a place as any.

I've decided to replay an old favourite; Knights of the Old Republic, I'm gonna do the sequel afterwards and the sequel to that never (Because I just don't MMOs, shame they're doing this to the Elder Scrolls instead of continuing the series in singleplayer format, but eh, that's another post)

Anyway, regarding KotOR I've got two questions.

Firstly, are there any mods that are worth bothering with or content restoration patches like there are for the second?

Secondly, while it's kinda cool to play as a non-jedi for a bit, the fact that your old classes skills and abilities become useless when you become a Jedi is really annoying. What's also annoying is that I'll waste 3-4 potential Jedi levelups in a game where 20 is the level cap, on some other class I won't be using anymore. Aside from just -not- levelling up and probably dying a poo poo ton on the intro planet, is there anything I can do to get all my sweet, sweet Jedi levelups without flat out cheating and turning invincibility on for the first planet?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

A Sometimes Food posted:

So I was thinking of trying Ys. I've got a PSP so I'm torn between 7 and Oath in Felghana. Any opinions? Both?

If you have a PC, it might be better to get Oath off of Steam. Definitely pick up 7 for your PSP at some point though, it's good stuff.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

V-Men posted:

Just the other day I found myself jonesing for a JRPG I could play on my PC.

I'm pretty sure the creator has another jRPG on PC, there's also those two side-scrolling ones whose names I can't remember at the moment. Barkley: Shut up and Jam, and emulators. The freeware thread has at least a couple more on PC as well.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

TehGherkin posted:

Firstly, are there any mods that are worth bothering with or content restoration patches like there are for the second?

I'm not sure what it's like now, but when I played a modded KOTOR on PC a few years ago, I became trapped forever on some stupid new area. There wasn't an exit and I already saved several times down there. Lost my 4/5ths of a playthrough thanks to mods :(

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

A Sometimes Food posted:

Get Oath first, but if you like that then you'll almost certainly enjoy any of the recent Ys games

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Could anyone recommend an old-school party RPG? And when I say old school, I mean old, Baldur's Gate was new-fangled for me when it came out. Obviously I haven't been playing RPGs for some time, except for Avernum/Avadon and Grimrock

Turn-based combat would be awesome (I worshiped the old Realms of Arkania), as long as it's not jrpg-style.

I tried the beta of Age of Decadence and while it's trying to do a lot of great stuff it just doesn't seem to hold my attention

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Cowcatcher posted:

Could anyone recommend an old-school party RPG? And when I say old school, I mean old, Baldur's Gate was new-fangled for me when it came out. Obviously I haven't been playing RPGs for some time, except for Avernum/Avadon and Grimrock

Knights of the Chalice is an old-school sprite-based D&D ruleset game in the vein of the Gold Box games or BG1. The demo for it is a little self-contained adventure separate from the main campaign. It's also fairly tough, too.

It's filled with potential for all sorts of fun moments. There was an adult black dragon blocking the exit to a cave, so I had a wizard shoot webs all over it to slow it down while a fighter used a potion to grow to giant size and wrestle the dragon down while the rest of the party stabbed it in the neck repeatedly.

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 7, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Knights of the Chalice is an old-school sprite-based D&D ruleset game in the vein of the Gold Box games or BG1. The demo for it is a little self-contained adventure separate from the main campaign. It's also fairly tough, too.

It's filled with potential for all sorts of fun moments. There was an adult black dragon blocking the exit to a cave, so I had a wizard shoot webs all over it to slow it down while a fighter used a potion to grow to giant size and wrestle the dragon down while the rest of the party stabbed it in the neck repeatedly.
Ah man, I really like this game. Do note that it uses the 3.5 ruleset, so it's much more akin to the modern day Temple of Elemental Evil as far as the gameplay goes. That means lots of rules regarding movement and a laundry list of feats to customize your character. Thankfully he went with a smaller class base (warrior, cleric, mage) to keep things mostly sane and the user interface will explain most feats to you. The underlying mechanics though (e.g., what "concentration" does), I can't remember if there's a built in help system or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OLpqEZMAE - the official gameplay video, just a small taste

I feel for that developer though. He developed, what I thought, was a pretty great engine (especially the AI it seems) but he can't afford the risk to make any additional games with it. He's also not a US resident so the kickstarter door is closed to him. I think he's just kicking the sequel can slowly in his off-time.

[e]It's also super easily breakable, unfortunately!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 7, 2012

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rascyc posted:

[e]It's also super easily breakable, unfortunately!
Faithful to the source material, in other words. :v:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Cardiovorax posted:

Faithful to the source material, in other words. :v:
Hmm, I kind of wish it was breakable in that respect!

The problem is, the guy wanted people to get to level 20 so he ended up putting in an excessive amount of encounters in the back half of the game. As a result, you get gobs of experience and money dumped on you. I am talking like millions of gold.

So if you are familiar with 3.5 at all, there's an entire feat-set for crafting that consumes XP and gold. It doesn't really put a dent in what's being used though, so you can end up crafting an entire library of scrolls and such.

Moral of the story: don't use crafting if you want to keep the game remotely challenging!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Can anyone recommend a horror/paranormal themed RPG that is NOT SMT/Persona or overtly anime-styled? Something with a good atmosphere to it would be great. Something with awesome music would be even better.

And a tag-on question: The reason I ask is, myself and a group of friends want to try our hand at game development, and our initial discussion determined that our best choice for a first project may be an old-school turn-based RPG, as that would present the fewest hurdles in actual development and execution, and the idea of a horror-themed, maybe lovecraft-styled RPG was floated. I know we'd be trading development difficulties for stylistic/storyline writing difficulties, but does that idea sound interesting to anyone on this board at all?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MockingQuantum posted:

Can anyone recommend a horror/paranormal themed RPG that is NOT SMT/Persona or overtly anime-styled? Something with a good atmosphere to it would be great. Something with awesome music would be even better.

There's the Shadow Hearts games on PS2, but they're pretty anime (nowhere near Persona levels though). The first is okay but a bit primitive, the second one is awesome and I never got very far in the third. The first two manage to be both pretty dark and serious and have some of the genuinely funniest bits in any RPG, especially the second.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

There's the Shadow Hearts games on PS2, but they're pretty anime (nowhere near Persona levels though). The first is okay but a bit primitive, the second one is awesome and I never got very far in the third. The first two manage to be both pretty dark and serious and have some of the genuinely funniest bits in any RPG, especially the second.

Man, uh, the Shadow Hearts games are way way more anime than Persona ever could be.

However, Koudelka, the first game in the series for the PS1, is actually probably what you're looking for. It's basically Victorian Resident Evil: The RPG.

The SH franchise really gets more and more wacky anime as it progresses. It goes from fairly series to somewhat lighthearted/grim, to recruiting a luchadore vampire who wields a frozen fish, to invading Area 51 aided by a crazy old man who wants to be a ninja and a drunken master kung-fu cat who works for Al Capone.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 7, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Dunno if this is exactly what you're looking for but <I'm a moron.> is about vampires and is WRPG-esque.

Edit: err VV that's the game I was thinking of. I forgot the name. My bad.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 7, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

And a tag-on question: The reason I ask is, myself and a group of friends want to try our hand at game development, and our initial discussion determined that our best choice for a first project may be an old-school turn-based RPG, as that would present the fewest hurdles in actual development and execution, and the idea of a horror-themed, maybe lovecraft-styled RPG was floated. I know we'd be trading development difficulties for stylistic/storyline writing difficulties, but does that idea sound interesting to anyone on this board at all?

How about Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines?

RPGs are a fairly complex first project. Many of the individual parts that go into it are simple but time-consuming and tedious, especially writing up the various databases full of monster and player statistics, damage algorithms, experience tables, etc. In the end, it can be hard to prevent the user interface from feeling sterile and dull (Breath of Death and Cthulhu Saves the World both suffer from this).

I'd suggest starting with something simpler that at the same time isn't braindead and uninteresting. Maybe a graphical adventure game or a platformer?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

It sounds like Demons Souls, Dark Souls, and the Kings Field games would be right up your alley.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Man, uh, the Shadow Hearts games are way way more anime than Persona ever could be.

Persona 3+4 are literally harem anime dating-sim games with combat, the Shadow Hearts games contain wacky anime high-jinks, which is the lesser of the two in my opinion.

Okay, maybe they contain a lot of wacky anime high-jinks....

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

It sounds like Demons Souls, Dark Souls, and the Kings Field games would be right up your alley.

Definitely, although the games are sparse on music outside of boss fights.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

MockingQuantum posted:

One that might fit the bill is Knights in the Nightmare, though the RPG elements in that game are kind of light, it's more of an action/strategy game. It does have an extremely dark theme, amazing atmosphere, a great soundtrack, and it's a VERY unique game. The story is pretty decent too, though it's told in the most confusing way possible.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What's the general attitude around here to Final Fantasy XIII? I just got it on PS3 for next to nothing, fired it up for an idea of what it's about (I'm deducted to finishing Dragon Quest VI before I dive in to anything else) and I was kinda wtf at the first 5 minutes of the gameplay, thrown into some weird sci fi setting with a too cool afro sporting guy with a bird living in his hair and a powered up super hero woman fighting a massive machine. What happened to RPGs where I'm a 15 year old boy waking up in our cottage to the sound of my mother/father/guardian calling me for breakfast?

Is this game all hard sci fi action stuff?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BadAstronaut posted:

What's the general attitude around here to Final Fantasy XIII? I just got it on PS3 for next to nothing, fired it up for an idea of what it's about (I'm deducted to finishing Dragon Quest VI before I dive in to anything else) and I was kinda wtf at the first 5 minutes of the gameplay, thrown into some weird sci fi setting with a too cool afro sporting guy with a bird living in his hair and a powered up super hero woman fighting a massive machine. What happened to RPGs where I'm a 15 year old boy waking up in our cottage to the sound of my mother/father/guardian calling me for breakfast?

Most people hate it, a few people like the combat and a couple of the characters but still hate everything else.

It, like most FF games since, oh, VI I guess, is a mixture SF and fantasy stuff, XIII is just a lot more on the SF side. Also it starts in the middle of the plot and slowly explains itself, which is probably the only thing I liked about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

The game is a mess of sci-fi and some fantasy elements and the plot basically forces you along for the ride while it careens wildly out of control near a cliff for 20 hours before finally giving you the wheel just as it goes over the edge.

"Moms are tough"

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

a medical mystery posted:

How about Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines?

RPGs are a fairly complex first project. Many of the individual parts that go into it are simple but time-consuming and tedious, especially writing up the various databases full of monster and player statistics, damage algorithms, experience tables, etc. In the end, it can be hard to prevent the user interface from feeling sterile and dull (Breath of Death and Cthulhu Saves the World both suffer from this).

I'd suggest starting with something simpler that at the same time isn't braindead and uninteresting. Maybe a graphical adventure game or a platformer?

Thanks for the advice. We're by no means settled on an RPG, so this is good info for us to know going into development. We might still do one, just for our own edification, and just not publicly release it for the time being.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Bah. That sounds kind of... disappointing.

Is it super grindy with an annoying amount of random combat? My initial impressions were not super positive. Maybe I'll give it five or six hours and decide from there...

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

XIII's got an interesting premise but it's kind of ruined by the fact that all the characters are unbearable save afro guy. The combat is pretty fun once your options start opening up, but it takes a while before the game stops holding your hand through everything.

e:^ The game's more or less the same 6 hours in as it is at the start. People aren't exaggerating when they say the first 20-30 hours of the game is literally a series of hallways. It gets a little better at that point, but...yeah.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 7, 2012

Wendell
May 11, 2003

BadAstronaut posted:

Is it super grindy with an annoying amount of random combat? My initial impressions were not super positive. Maybe I'll give it five or six hours and decide from there...

I wouldn't say it's grindy, they even institute a cap for each area that you can't level beyond. But there are definite moments where you feel like it's sending too many drat fights your way.

The story is never really "good" at any point, and it's incredible how it just abandons all attempts at making sense by the end and falls apart into complete bullshit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

The game is, as others will tell you, basically an elaborate tutorial sequence where until you get about 20-24 hours in the game doesn't trust you to fully make your own decisions. To exemplify this point, until you beat the first boss you receive no XP because the game doesn't trust you to level up until then. The story on the other hand, treats you as though you wrote the drat thing and drops terms and concepts that make no sense even when you look them up in the in-game dictionary in between trying to figure out how in the world anyone has any motivations whatsoever.

Its not particularly grindy since battles are fast, fast fast and your leveling is strictly regimented and constrained. There is never anything to do outside of moving forward in dungeons and battling until the 20 hour mark and that point is actually just "you can stop going forward for a bit and fight a whole bunch of optional battles."

Once you reach this point if you want to kill the optional enemies/get the achievements horrifically tedious grinding becomes the order of the hour as money acquisition even at its fastest rate is tediously slow. And remember when I said the tutorial elements end when you get 20 hours in? Surprise, you actually unlock the last bits of your characters skills by beating the final boss.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BadAstronaut posted:

Key note, the enemies are on the screen so you can avoid fighting them if you like.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Troffen posted:

XIII's got an interesting premise but it's kind of ruined by the fact that all the characters are unbearable save afro guy. The combat is pretty fun once your options start opening up, but it takes a while before the game stops holding your hand through everything.

e:^ The game's more or less the same 6 hours in as it is at the start. People aren't exaggerating when they say the first 20-30 hours of the game is literally a series of hallways. It gets a little better at that point, but...yeah.

The only thing is the boss before that area is the world's biggest turd and will piss you off so much you'll turn off the game and forget about it. Every time I *want* to try to enjoy the game I load up my save and it's the same fucker. I just turn it off and don't even bother.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Somewhat related, I saw an FF XIII-2 demo on Live over the weekend and decided to give it a try. Despite my curiosity I turned the demo off within a minute of loading it up because everything about it was that bad. Like, the diction used in the combat menus was so offensively stupid that I couldn't even be bothered to try the game.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Barudak posted:

And remember when I said the tutorial elements end when you get 20 hours in? Surprise, you actually unlock the last bits of your characters skills by beating the final boss.
I get that you hate the game, but I don't think unlocking the top tier abilities of each class is really something you could consider a "tutorial element." Also, while it's probably not the best solution, it's at least an attempt to make sure that the final boss somewhat challenging on the first run. For example, some people in the Xenoblade thread are lamenting the fact that, if they have been doing a bunch of the extra content and going after all the unique monsters, the final boss is an underwhelming pushover because they're overlevelled. Keeping the top of the crystarium locked until you've beaten the final boss once is supposed to help prevent that. It also encourages you to do some postgame content because there's a new opportunity for progression. Like I said, not necessarily the best solution, but it's hardly a tutorial.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FF13 barely had post game content, though, is the other problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Wow, for a Baldurs Gate series fan such as myself, FFXIII now sounds utterly appalling and I'm probably going to just trade it in for something else...