Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That reminds me, the last time they tried to get an American Akira remake off the ground word got out that Testuo's name had been changed to Travis. :v:

http://screenrant.com/akira-movie-images-art-chris-evans-gordon-levitt/

I'm okay with Travis Touchdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tars Tarkas posted:

If they are doing Akira, they better make it as dumb as possible, this is my white whale of potential so awful it becomes legend movies and I will claim it's blubber! I'm talking majority white cast with Asian names, cyberpunk dystopia that's less depressing than reality, weird spirituality that makes no sense, pointless bullet time, action scenes that are confusing, Mr. T having a supporting role, the villain based on Bernie Sanders, Johnny Akira dating an underage girl, a Jesus allegory, Nazi dinosaurs, and pseudo-philosophical debates where the hero is revealed to be a death cultist.

Yeah, Scott Pilgrim was loving garbage.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Young Freud posted:

It's not just the nuclear annihilation, but also occupation, both the fear of foreigners' occupying your land as well as living under occupation. A good part of the manga is people living in the aftermath of Akira's singularity and living under this new almost-unknowable power that's being exploited by criminal elements. In addition, Japan is forced to bring in the UN and the Americans to help deal with the situation. It even plays out on a small-scale, with the revolutionary Ryu, who is aimless now that the revolutionary cells have been either wiped out or meaningless after Akira dropped his bomb, meeting who he thinks is a scout of some sort but finds out that he's an Japanese-American Green Beret sent to assassinate Akira and Tetsuo with a biological weapon.

Right, but the problem is that this has little to do with 'the unique aspects of the Japanese psyche'. Akira is perfectly well-accepted by and understandable to western audiences.

Your description above is borderline identical to Red Dawn, its superhero remake Dark Knight Rises, and - frankly - more than half of the films in the postapocalyptic / alien-invasion genres.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Look what you don't seem to understand is that Akira and GitS are uniquely Japanese, because they have Japanese names and are anime, the only medium that understands me back.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

anime is bad tho

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

anime is bad tho

no

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

get this: anime is better than wrestling

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Vegetable posted:

Why not combine the two

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Lol, Shia LeBeouf's latest movie, Man Down, premiered in the UK and literally ONE person went to see it in the entire weekend.
Oh well. People liked American honey at least
I think. I dunno I never saw it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

Why not combine the two

Excuse me sir that is an Asian man not an anime

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right, but the problem is that this has little to do with 'the unique aspects of the Japanese psyche'.

When was the last time someone drop atomic weapons on America? When was the last time America was occupied by foreign troops? When was the last time America had a coup de'tat? All those where recent memories when Akira was made, if not held by Otomo or the generation of Japanese "baby boomers" following the war, but by their parents and elder colleagues.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Young Freud posted:

When was the last time someone drop atomic weapons on America? When was the last time America was occupied by foreign troops? When was the last time America had a coup de'tat? All those where recent memories when Akira was made, if not held by Otomo or the generation of Japanese "baby boomers" following the war, but by their parents and elder colleagues.

The implication of this is that not only can't you translate Akira into an American film, you can't translate Akira into a Japanese film. If you need to have experienced all this to connect to it, it's all but dead as a work of art.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 5, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sir Kodiak posted:

The implication of this is that not only can't you translate Akira into an American film, you can't translate Akira into a Japanese film. If you need to have experienced all this to connect to it, it's all but dead as a work of art.

That's probably true

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Mars_Bluff_B-47_nuclear_weapon_loss_incident
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands_Campaign
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot
Close enough

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's probably true

Except, it obviously isn't, considering all the Americans who seem to have enjoyed the cartoon. And it's not like moving it to America would make it less relatable somehow. It would just continue to be what it already is for most of the audience: a story set in an understandable but somewhat alien setting, much like many sci-fi stories.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Except, it obviously isn't, considering all the Americans who seem to have enjoyed the cartoon. And it's not like moving it to America would make it less relatable somehow. It would just continue to be what it already is for most of the audience: a story set in an understandable but somewhat alien setting, much like many sci-fi stories.

Who said anything about enjoyable. That's not a high bar to hurdle

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who said anything about enjoyable. That's not a high bar to hurdle

You're right about my phrasing, but there's plenty of fantastical stories that use unfamiliar circumstances to valuable ends.

Battle: Los Angeles puts Americans in the position of the technologically-outmatched peoples that America goes to war with. That this is an alien experience to Americans is part of what makes the movie interesting.

It is entirely appropriate and valuable for film to take inspiration from unfamiliar life experiences to communicate those experiences to an audience. The ability to do so is part of the power of film.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 5, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

Battle: Los Angeles puts Americans in the position of the technologically-outmatched peoples that America goes to war with. That this is an alien experience to Americans is part of what makes the movie interesting.

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(1996_film)
... and hundreds and hundreds more.

America getting invaded by superior forces has been a popular theme for a long time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The fear of foreign invaders, whether real or imagined, is inherent to the concept of a nation state. The US isn't exempt from it just because it sat at the top for the past few decades.

Also make it a shared cinematic universe with Ghost In The Shell and .... um ..... Fist Of The North Star, I guess??

Don't forget Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.

That reminds me, the last time they tried to get an American Akira remake off the ground word got out that Testuo's name had been changed to Travis. :v:

Doesn't work. You need three syllables for the name to be properly shoutable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Only the Japanese can comprehend the highly advanced concept of Children Of Men But With Telekinesis.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Vegetable posted:

Wrestling is actually real life anime.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Samuel Clemens posted:

Don't forget Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.

Wrong time period, they'd have to use it's futuristic sequel Dint King, Inside King (Super Powerful Man) instead to fit in with the other films

It's never been translated into English because it's really not worth the effort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egkMNvizlSo

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Just have Tetsuo transform into a giant blubbery mutant Trump

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They made a sequel to Riki-oh and translating it wasn't worth the effort???? what in life is worth the effort, then?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Punkin Spunkin posted:

They made a sequel to Riki-oh and translating it wasn't worth the effort???? what in life is worth the effort, then?

Don't watch the video I posted, it's super disappointing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Who is ready for a whole bunch of Call of Duty movies and tv shows?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/05/call-of-duty-franchise-activision-blizzard-next-disney-marvel-film-franchise

quote:

Call of Duty’s makers Activision Blizzard are planning an assault to rival Disney’s Marvel Universe. It plans to use the multi-layered, interconnected approach that has made Marvel’s superheroes a dominant force in cinema to turn the first-person shooter into an all-conquering film franchise of its own.

Two people are tasked with pulling that off, Stacey Sher and Nick van Dyk, the co-presidents of Activision Blizzard Studios, an in-house production division that hopes to succeed where almost everyone else has failed by turning games into commercially and critically successful film and TV.
According to the pair, work on the Call of Duty films has already generated multiple scripts, and involved extensive research with military experts and retired soldiers. They are mapping out a Call of Duty universe which will draw on the feel of the different incarnations of the game rather than transposing existing plots. A first instalment could land as early as 2018 and, if all goes to plan, there will be more to follow.

“We have plotted out many years,” Sher tells the Guardian. “We put together this group of writers to talk about where we were going. There’ll be a film that feels more like Black Ops, the story behind the story. The Modern Warfare series looks at what it’s like to fight a war with the eyes of the world on you. And then maybe something that is more of a hybrid, where you are looking at private, covert operations, while a public operation is going on.”

Van Dyk adds: “It’s going to have the same sort of high-adrenaline, high-energy aesthetic as the game, but it’s not a literal adaptation. It’s a much more broad and inclusive, global in scope ... a big, tentpole Marvel-esque movie.”

"Marvel'esque"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That is going to be the worst multimedia empire I watch every iteration of.

Jesus, these loving people can barely write for video games, a medium with a much higher tolerance for nonsense.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Punkin Spunkin posted:

There are (bad) anime spinoffs too

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just imagine all of those many great, memorable characters from the Call of Duty franchise up on the silver screen!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Just imagine all of those many great, memorable characters from the Call of Duty franchise up on the silver screen!

Cant wait to see who they cast as the 1911 or the M4

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Samuel Clemens posted:

Doesn't work. You need three syllables for the name to be properly shoutable.

So call him Theodore.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Enos Cabell posted:

There was a dog in one of them, right?

Nothing in the rules says a dog can't kill terrorists.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Get Out is now the highest grossing debut film based on an original screenplay.

quote:

Jordan Peele's Get Out has passed The Blair Witch Project as the highest-grossing feature-length debut for a writer/director of an original screenplay. 1999's The Blair Witch Project held the top spot for nearly 20 years, until the huge success of Peele's first film.

As Forbes reports, as of March 31, Get Out has crossed the $150m mark in domestic sales. This is more than the $140m The Blair Witch Project made at the U.S. box office when it was released 18 years ago.

In March, three weeks after its release, Get Out crossed the esteemed $100 million mark, making Peele the first black writer-director to do so with their debut movie. Get Out was made for a budget of $4.6m.
http://www.thefader.com/2017/04/04/get-out-original-screenplay-record

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I realize it is technically his feature length writing and directing debut, but he's done so much writing on television and acting in films and television I feel he's a known name to the point where it's a little weird to call it a debut.

I really enjoyed the first 30 and last fifteen minutes of the movie. I had to go outside and take a work call for the middle 45, but coming back in late the parts I missed were easy to pick up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I must've missed it, but what was the consensus on the power rangers movie? Would a male in his late 20s who thought the saved by the bell segments of the original pr series to be kinda lame but serviceable and the actual morphed fights and megazord fights to be the coolest things ever enjoy it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The movie is kind of the opposite. The saved by the bell segments are legit good, the robot fight is servicable.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

There was a dog in one of them, right?

Nothing in the rules says a dog can't kill terrorists.
Voiced by Keith David.

"Ramerirez! I've been a good boy today, I wanna treat!"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Cod4 had that great bit where you were trying to defuse the nuke but it went off anyway, that was pretty novel for videogames, where you usually reload every time you die. Only movies I can think of with the hero failing to stop a nuke are Sum of All Fears and Dr Strangelove.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I will happily support a Call of Duty film franchise if everything is based on Black Ops2, so it's all conspiracy nuttery and slightly advanced but not too outlandish technology

All other Call of Duty is garbage and will not be supported :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Cod4 had that great bit where you were trying to defuse the nuke but it went off anyway, that was pretty novel for videogames, where you usually reload every time you die. Only movies I can think of with the hero failing to stop a nuke are Sum of All Fears and Dr Strangelove.

What about Fail Safe or Miracle Mile.

• Locked thread