Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Kids childcare got a case on Monday, reported today. Not yet listed on the website. They weren't there Monday but I'll be amazed if no one else got it to pass it along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

They're not doing pressers any more
Covid is Over

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010

Helith posted:

They're not doing pressers any more
Covid is Over

Honestly at this point, what the gently caress is there to say. They are just rehashing the same poo poo everyday.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Lol that they were so focused on opening up Sydney that they didn't realise til today that the plan as was would be de facto locking down regional areas

quote:

Deputy Premier Paul Toole said workers in regional areas who have received one vaccination dose will be permitted to return to their workplace from October 11 and will be given a grace period until November 1 to receive their second dose.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

10 people at household gatherings. Have fun!

I fail to see how this helps foot traffic-starved small businesses all these changes are supposed to be helping but I'll take it.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
List of stuff which changes on Monday in relatively easy to read format.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ccine-milestone

This coming weekend is when we should start seeing any surge from last weekend's grand final parties.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The no masks in office buildings is a really bad idea.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Phigs posted:

The no masks in office buildings is a really bad idea.

I'd prefer it was government mandated but there is nothing to stop masks being required by individual businesses/organisations or to stop people wearing them if they wish. I don't think now is the right time to drop the mandate and I don't believe doing so will make people more likely to return to the office. It could have the opposite effect and make fewer people willing to work on site.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Getting rid of office mask mandates is loving trump poo poo. When we've abandoned contact tracing containment and COVID is pinging randomly around the community, masks are a very basic and sensible way to reduce that unpredictable risk. The whole problem with the situation the NSW government has fostered over the last three months is that it's no longer possible to be highly confident that the person you're talking to hasn't been exposed, because nobody loving knows who has or hasn't been exposed.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Shutups nerds it's time for a CONSERVATIVE SPRIIIINGG! gently caress YEAH!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Chadzok posted:

Shutups nerds it's time for a covid SPRIIIINGG! gently caress YEAH!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Chadzok posted:

Hating Arabs Spring.

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002
It will be interesting to see how many teachers the changes to the NSW return to class plan will catch out. I'm not scheduled to have my second dose until Week 3 of term which would have been fine but now I'm going to miss a week, which my school is absorbing.

I'm sure this will impact a number of teachers and education staff as they didn't get any sort of priority until September and most I know took AZ, with the longer period between vaccinations.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Chadzok posted:

There's been no election, but the change in Premier means conservatives are winning!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

how long do people think perreotet will last? next elections in 23 and he's such an obvious weirdo he might be another campbell newman

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I saw a good write up on this when the coalition won the 2019 election, and it was that governments tend to win "one election too many" and then suffer a severe backlash. At the time it was pre-COVID but the economy was looking shaky and the analysis was that the coalition would probably look back and wish that ALP had won it.

I.e. successful governments will go into their last term, reach too far, and then get absolutely hammered at the next election rather than a modest defeat.

See the QLD fiasco when Newman took power and the opposition could fit in a minivan.
The substantial majority ALP got in 2007 after Howard went too far on workchoices.
Recent WA result.

You can read the tea leaves whichever way you want, but it's generally accepted that Australians vote governments out, not in.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
*conservative nutjob tells everyone they are not required to wear masks*

Businesses, workplaces, managers, individuals: Well that's that , we cant wear masks anymore.

(you kind of hope sane sensible people at all levels will step up to fill the responsibility-void, but nah?)

Boner M fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 7, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I saw a good write up on this when the coalition won the 2019 election, and it was that governments tend to win "one election too many" and then suffer a severe backlash. At the time it was pre-COVID but the economy was looking shaky and the analysis was that the coalition would probably look back and wish that ALP had won it.

I.e. successful governments will go into their last term, reach too far, and then get absolutely hammered at the next election rather than a modest defeat.

See the QLD fiasco when Newman took power and the opposition could fit in a minivan.
The substantial majority ALP got in 2007 after Howard went too far on workchoices.
Recent WA result.

You can read the tea leaves whichever way you want, but it's generally accepted that Australians vote governments out, not in.

The most recent WA election doesn't seem to fit the pattern.

I think that Covid-19 has thrown the existing cycles entirely out of whack and it's pretty much impossible to guess how the election next year will go.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

how long do people think perreotet will last? next elections in 23 and he's such an obvious weirdo he might be another campbell newman

The Opposition is useless so there's no threat to him from that direction. Nobody in his own party is charismatic so even if there's a leadership spill I'm not sure it will go anywhere.

He's made a hug tactical error in side-lining Chant. Let's see if he can recover from it.

He definitely won't last if his "normal summer" sees the return of harsh lockdown.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/kyle...ook_dj1p5b1kwbc

He's already made a powerful enemy in Kyle Sandilands. So who knows?

But seriously, I know Kyle and Jackie O are inexplicably popular in Sydney. Do they have any actual influence over public opinion? Also would this "You, a conservative politician, cannot come on my young persons music radio show!" performative bullshit have any actual effect on his popularity/electability in the state?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

license to post

they're gonna do it, sales was pushing this poo poo last month on abc as well

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
gonna tweet at scott right now with the following text "eat my farts you terrible fuckman"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

"Kyle and co-host Jackie 'O' Henderson were chatting to celebrity psychic Georgina Walker"

LOL

Know nothing about Kyle, but he banned him after learning about the guy being anti gay, anti abortion, so at the very least not 100% poo poo.

NSW may be poo poo in many ways, but I think those two, particularly very obviously anti-gay is rightfully going to be a big deal if he tries to say/do anything on that.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

The most recent WA election doesn't seem to fit the pattern.

Yup you're right. Brainworms on my part.

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 7, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

license to post

me, a scaredy king, posting from my coward's palace

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Me in 6 months: gee i wish we could get Gladys back.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

license to post

I mean who couldn't see the Voller decision would end up being used like this?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Boner M posted:

*conservative nutjob tells everyone they are not required to wear masks*

Businesses, workplaces, managers, individuals: Well that's that , we cant were masks anymore.

(you kind of hope sane sensible people at all levels will step up to fill the responsibility-void, but nah?)
Knowing most managers I have met, that is exactly how it will go

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Hospitals no longer require any additional Federal crisis funding just prior to let 'er rip day because the states have had time to prepare.

This is fine.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I like this trend of making massive impactful decisions based on arbitrary numerical triggers.

MervBushwacker
Jun 18, 2018

kirbysuperstar posted:

gonna tweet at scott right now with the following text "eat my farts you terrible fuckman"

get his rear end

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can't wait for Premier Brownie Points to cause a huge surge in cases.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

random unrelated incidents popping into my head for no reason:

tudge publicizing protected centrelink information as revenge for telling people how hosed centrelink is
porter suing people on twitter for talking about him being a rapist
dutton suing a person for being mean to him on twitter
barilaro suing whats his name for defamation
laming threatening defamation for talking about what a hosed up freak he is, stalking people, hiding in bushes and taking upskirt photos of women
dutton, again, wanting environmentalists named so vigilantes can "Let their families know what you think of their behaviour."
mark latham having an unverified twitter account under his own name for the longest time that nobody could confirm was him that tweeted abuse at women he hated

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The alternate universe where Latham was PM must've been wild.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Eediot Jedi posted:

The alternate universe where Latham was PM must've been wild.

A racist unhinged misogynist as PM?

Yeah, that would have been a real change.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Phigs posted:

I like this trend of making massive impactful decisions based on arbitrary numerical triggers.

When 2 party preferred for the government drops below 47% everyone has to throw a shoe at the PM.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Prime Minister Latham would have already overseen Australia becoming a nuclear wasteland after provoking the Russians too far in the wake of MH17

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember much about Latham when he was Labor leader except he broke a taxi driver's arm and shook John Howard's hand real hard. Was he a known bigot back then or did he develop that later on?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't know about whether or not his bigotry and misogyny were well known, but the fact he was a bullying oval office with anger issues was public knowledge.

My dad was an umpire at VCA level, and through his umpiring friends he heard stories of Mark Lathams arseholey behaviour playing Sydney grade cricket. Lotsa suspensions for abusing umpires, and tantrums when given out etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

My dad was an umpire at VCA level, and through his umpiring friends he heard stories of Mark Lathams arseholey behaviour playing Sydney grade cricket. Lotsa suspensions for abusing umpires, and tantrums when given out etc.

lol my Grandfather taught him cricket in high school for Busby High. My mum, who absolutely hates the word, said he was a massive loving oval office that everybody hated. Had the personality of King Dick that didn't think his poo poo stunk.

I went out to ask, to double check I had it right, and she's going off about him as she used to have to pick up all the cricketers in her van and she hosed hated him :laffo: