Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/darrendreger/status/1674809148083453953?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

Wait does the Yzerplan include taking on players for nothing and then buying them out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I would love him in Pittsburgh. He hasn't panned out as that number one dominant top pairing guy, but I think he's still a hugely capable and valuable player. That said, as Eric rightly points out, the Pens are going to do some big beautifully dumb things. Like Bunting and Tarasenko and who knows. If they can dump Petry and Granlund Gost might be on menu along with god knows who else.

Very good chance Bunting ends up in Pittsburgh for the aforementioned 5x6 at the least.

Hanifin sucks and is very overrated. Tools are good but his instincts are awful. Like a dollar-store Matheson.

They won't go near Gostisbehere. The kind of defenseman that works best in Sullivan's system is also the kind of defenseman Sullivan hates and doesn't want to play. It's weird.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/darrendreger/status/1674809148083453953?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

Wait does the Yzerplan include taking on players for nothing and then buying them out?

yeah that's a bit strange.. the other piece they got in that trade is a dude that might well end up go play in the KHL.. That's the legit Darren Dreger account?

Detroit just doesn't seem to be making alot of headway in general. I know they've been talked up as a potential team to watch the last couple years but unless they make some huge moves to switch things up real quick here I think it's Ottawa that is the potential next New Jersey team to watch make a huge surge up the standings. Detroit is looking more like the next Philadelphia right at this moment.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yes this is the year Ottawa becomes good, we all say for the 4th consecutive year

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

At least Ottawa and Buffalo are fun teams even if they’re bad. Detroit has been bad and boring.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kailer you can come back for 1.5 million

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Duchene bought out???

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Detroit being in a wild card spot and getting absolutely destroyed in back-to-back games by the Sens so hard they tanked and sold at the deadline owned

They’re in a weird spot, don’t really have a blue chip forward prospect to build around after all these years of tanking. Berggren and Raymond are both young top 6ers, but Marco Kasper and Nate Danielson seem to project as middle 6ers. Flipping Hronek for 17 was a good move, but they probably should have flipped that pick

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Duchene bought out???

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1674810769458823168?t=jZk45VtJaNEI1shAcz6Seg&s=19

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

So he's the best forward on the market now right?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Well at least this stuff is funny.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

poo poo, the buyouts are wild

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Very good chance Bunting ends up in Pittsburgh for the aforementioned 5x6 at the least.

Is Dubas really going to be the one to overpay Bunting after getting a front row seat to his dumbassery? Dubas is loyal to his dudes, but even he seemed fed up with Bunting by the end.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Starsfan posted:

yeah that's a bit strange.. the other piece they got in that trade is a dude that might well end up go play in the KHL.. That's the legit Darren Dreger account?

Detroit just doesn't seem to be making alot of headway in general. I know they've been talked up as a potential team to watch the last couple years but unless they make some huge moves to switch things up real quick here I think it's Ottawa that is the potential next New Jersey team to watch make a huge surge up the standings. Detroit is looking more like the next Philadelphia right at this moment.

Yeah, no room for Yamamoto on the roster, the point of the trade was to get Kostin. Which is not a signing I really understand, but whatever. It does sound like he's definitely not going to the KHL.

Detroit is treading water and will be 7th in the Atlantic once again, and something is going to have to change. But I think Ottawa is shooting their shot too soon and will just be stuck in mediocrity. Not enough in the pipeline but not a good enough core. Detroit is looking to have four lines worth of middle six talent and just needs to be able to make a couple splashy acquisitions.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duchene is one year removed from a 43g PPG season. Barry Trotz is going scorched earth.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I hope whatever the Penguins do is funny and not bad but it'll probably be really bad as they thrash around hoping to regain anything and get worse and slower in the complete opposite of what Sullivan's system requires.

Edit: idk for forwards it's like Duchene and Tank are best available I think?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Nashville having $3.5mil of dead cap space until 2028 because of the Duchene and Turris buyouts is funny

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I love how useful to good players like Mike Rielly, Matt Duchene and Kailer Yamamoto are being bought out and meanwhile buying out Suter isn't even in the realm of contemplation for Jim Nill

GM of the year folks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Nashville having $3.5mil of dead cap space until 2028 because of the Duchene and Turris buyouts is funny

they will have $12m of dead cap next year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Not sure why they prefer a buyout for Duchene vs what they did with Johansen. Though i guess they wanted to keep a retained salary slot open and don't intend to be a cap team for a few years???

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

ThinkTank posted:

Duchene is one year removed from a 43g PPG season. Barry Trotz is going scorched earth.

I wonder how hard he shopped a trade at 50% retained? Duchene only had a 7 team no trade list

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Not sure why they prefer a buyout for Duchene vs what they did with Johansen. Though i guess they wanted to keep a retained salary slot open and don't intend to be a cap team for a few years???

Yeah, it's 3 years of pain followed by $1.5m for a few more on the Duchene buyout so I guess the Preds are flushing the next few seasons and want to keep a couple retained salary slots open for deadline moves.

There's also the risk that if they moved him with retention, he'd still get bought out in a couple years and they'd lose that retention slot long term. The Coyotes retained $800k on OEL, but because he got bought out they lose that retention slot for the next 8 seasons.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Buyouts, buyouts for everyone! (Please do Goodrow next)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Completely forgot OEL was on the Market. Can't wait for his Jack Johnson like contract. His play might even match.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Somebody earlier said all the UFAs this year are boring.

...but the buyouts... :unsmigghh:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Completely forgot OEL was on the Market. Can't wait for his Jack Johnson like contract. His play might even match.

His skating is gone, he'll go back to Sweden.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So the rangers are officially NOT buying out Goodrow. Which means they’re basically running back the same roster AND going to bridge K’Andre, which will hurt them in the long run

So far there’s not a lot to like about the Chris Drury regime

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I hope they extend Kane too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Nobody was willing to trade for Duchene? Or is it that Nashville doesn't want to retain salary?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Nobody was willing to trade for Duchene? Or is it that Nashville doesn't want to retain salary?

Likely the latter. Losing two retention slots for three years when you're rebuilding is a significant loss. It severely restricts your ability to make deadline deals.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

grack posted:

Probably some combination of the 2.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

OldSenileGuy posted:

So the rangers are officially NOT buying out Goodrow. Which means they’re basically running back the same roster AND going to bridge K’Andre, which will hurt them in the long run

So far there’s not a lot to like about the Chris Drury regime

Hopefully they go bargain shopping and run it back. The last time they did that they added Benny Poulliot and went to the cup finals, just sayin.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes this is the year Ottawa becomes good, we all say for the 4th consecutive year

Brought to you by the Linux desktop

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I hope whatever the Penguins do is funny and not bad but it'll probably be really bad as they thrash around hoping to regain anything and get worse and slower in the complete opposite of what Sullivan's system requires.

Edit: idk for forwards it's like Duchene and Tank are best available I think?

I already like the current roster better than last year's. Dubas would have to go pretty buck wild to gently caress it up.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mind_Taker posted:

At least Ottawa and Buffalo are fun teams even if they’re bad. Detroit has been bad and boring.

Buffalo is gonna be awesome this year*!

*might change depending on the moves Kevyn makes in the next couple of days

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Some guy at an airport ran into Michkov and says the timeline could be next season. Very reptutable

https://twitter.com/msh603/status/1674847560102445071?t=0Nnltxxtml-A9r6yEM8WDg&s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

shyduck posted:

Some guy at an airport ran into Michkov and says the timeline could be next season. Very reptutable

https://twitter.com/msh603/status/1674847560102445071?t=0Nnltxxtml-A9r6yEM8WDg&s=19

There's a non zero chance Michkov's dad was murdered for trying to find a way to get his son out of his contract, so I'd not hold my breath on that front.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I wonder if at some point the NHL just says “gently caress it we don’t care about KHL contracts”? The previous transfer agreement comes from a time when the KHL looked more powerful but I doubt they are currently much of a threat to poach significant NHL players or will be any time soon. There’s probably some trade law and/or IIHF concerns but idk, what better time to shiv a rival than when they’re widely considered an international pariah?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

I wonder if at some point the NHL just says “gently caress it we don’t care about KHL contracts”? The previous transfer agreement comes from a time when the KHL looked more powerful but I doubt they are currently much of a threat to poach significant NHL players or will be any time soon. There’s probably some trade law and/or IIHF concerns but idk, what better time to shiv a rival than when they’re widely considered an international pariah?

Because then the KHL will respond by refusing to let any Russian nationals go from the KHL to the NHL and would probably demand a bunch of Russian players come home. Bye bye Ovie goals record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

That's kind of surprising. I thought Yamamoto is decent and while his contract isn't great, it's also not a ton either. He's like 24 right? I think he'd be a good player to take a flyer on.