Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Nessa posted:

Dammit, this avatar is smaller than I wanted it to be. I should have made it bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sounds pretty tough
May 17, 2012

Being an asshole is just part of my manly essence

Motherfucker posted:

Just because its 'non American' food doesn't mean that it isn't made from American imports by American companies.

this doesn't make sense

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Nessa posted:

Dammit, this avatar is smaller than I wanted it to be. I should have made it bigger.

it's cute though :3:

Aesop Poprock posted:

pizza, too. also pasta is a lot better in the north

lots of food is good in the north. I like regional cuisines, they each have something good to offer. not a fan of the Paula Deen school of southern food though.

Motherfucker posted:

I'm not implying but outright stating that the constituent products that your food is made from are shittier than other first world countries and that you're probably biased against foods which are good because you live in a lovely country where bread is literally sweet.

Maybe that's why you think things that are good are bad, because they are bad, for you but not for me.

Just because its 'non American' food doesn't mean that it isn't made from American imports by American companies.

I lived in Ireland and the food was pretty good there but the second I got to the UK things got nasty. They couldn't even make a decent panini, what's up with that.

Oh Portals the bread pudding recipe was awesome, I ate almost all of it myself over the course of many days. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

please :nws: tag this

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

ugh stop being jerks guys

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I'm not implying but outright stating that the constituent products that your food is made from are shittier than other first world countries and that you're probably biased against foods which are good because you live in a lovely country where bread is literally sweet.

Maybe that's why you think things that are good are bad, because they are bad, for you but not for me.

oookay then, I don't eat white bread but whatever. I think it's funny you're using that as a defense for a pie that is literally made out of corn syrup and pecans, which is a combination I find sickly sweet and unpleasant. you're free to enjoy it though

I will admit that american confectionery is poo poo

Nessa posted:

it's cute :3:

amarantinesky posted:

Oh Portals the bread pudding recipe was awesome, I ate almost all of it myself over the course of many days. Thanks for the recommendation :)

good to hear! :)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Ilikegrapes posted:

this doesn't make sense

It's like saying that there's no way taco shells could be made in America because they're 'not American'

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Portals posted:

Exactly. That is exactly what is being said. Only about all food in America, confectionery included.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

It's like saying that there's no way taco shells could be made in America because they're 'not American'

okay I thought you were dissing american cuisine, not american ingredients

not that that makes your argument any more intelligible, pecans are native to north america and corn syrup is heavily processed no matter where it's from

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

amarantinesky posted:

I didn't have high expectations but it was custardy and meringue and just awesome in every way

I've also made this a few times

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/08/never-too-much/

it's amazing and super rich.

i'm sure this is really good but i'm laughing imagining give it to a little kid for their birthday cause they'd probably cry

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

amarantinesky posted:

ugh stop being jerks guys

shut the gently caress up

sounds pretty tough
May 17, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

When I buy something and the packaging is in Arabic I'd say there is a slim to none chance that it was manufactured in American, left America, and then returned to be sold here.

Contrary to what you may believe your country isn't the only one on the planet that imports food.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Portals posted:

oookay then, I don't eat white bread but whatever. I think it's funny you're using that as a defense for a pie that is literally made out of corn syrup and pecans, which is a combination I find sickly sweet and unpleasant. you're free to enjoy it though

it's cute :3:

Some American candy is pretty dismal but overall it's not the worst. It was basically impossible to even get dark chocolate in Ireland / UK and they have all sorts of aerated chocolate bars which are pretty weird.

When I was in Munich I went to a chocolate shop that also served fresh desserts and drinks, it was seriously heaven. We need more of that in the US.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

stop posting the avatar you're triggering my PTSD

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

shut the gently caress up

no

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Portals posted:

okay I thought you were dissing american cuisine, not american ingredients

not that that makes your argument any more intelligible, pecans are native to north america and corn syrup is heavily processed no matter where it's from

I am dissing all aspects of food in America.

I am broad-level dissing.

It would be a challenge to find shittier food than the food in American and that's probably the reason everyone is so short.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:horse:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ilikegrapes posted:

When I buy something and the packaging is in Arabic I'd say there is a slim to none chance that it was manufactured in American, left America, and then returned to be sold here.

So what you're saying is non American food is good?

What the gently caress were the odds?

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Ilikegrapes posted:

Contrary to what you may believe your country isn't the only one on the planet that imports food.

oh yeah this

amarantinesky posted:

Some American candy is pretty dismal but overall it's not the worst. It was basically impossible to even get dark chocolate in Ireland / UK and they have all sorts of aerated chocolate bars which are pretty weird.

When I was in Munich I went to a chocolate shop that also served fresh desserts and drinks, it was seriously heaven. We need more of that in the US.

there are several insanely good chocolatiers around the bay area, I was talking about readily available confectionery like hershey's

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

amarantinesky posted:

it's cute though :3:

Thanks! It was either this or a cute bat. Considering that I am from the Canadalands, I figured the polar bear would be appropriate.

People have been making fun of me in other forums, so it was time for a change.

sounds pretty tough
May 17, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

That actually is not even close to anything I was saying at all

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

I am dissing all aspects of food in America.

I am broad-level dissing.

It would be a challenge to find shittier food than the food in American and that's probably the reason everyone is so short.

wait is there a stereotype now that americans are short

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Apparently? Weird.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

reese's are pretty good :shrug:

pretty much any hershey's candy is better than those Russel-Stover valentine's hearts though.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

america is a melting pot of cuisines on the coasts, sorry if your view of american food is purely the stuff from the midwest

sort of like how tons of people in the US are ethnically mixed

amarantinesky posted:

pretty much any hershey's candy is better than those Russel-Stover valentine's hearts though.

I have to disagree with you on reese's, those are kinda gross

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

amarantinesky posted:

:catstare:

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

wait is there a stereotype now that americans are short

yeah I'm not really sure where that came from. Asian people are pretty short but have decent food so it doesn't make a lot of sense. also food in remote African villages is probably pretty bad, I'd rather eat American stuff.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I think the moral of the story is that everyone has different feelings about foods, and some people have weird hangups (including me)

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
:nessa:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
don't troll unless you're masterclass

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

amarantinesky posted:

Hershey kisses are pretty good. I've always been a big fan of the cookies and cream bars and am glad they turned them into little bite sized drops.

Favourite North American chocolate is probably Nestle. My uncle used to work for them, so we'd often get big boxes of chocolate bars. Coffee Crisp, Areo, Kit Kat and Smarties! Though I still think M&M's are better than Smarties.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Putty posted:

:nessa:

DEVIANTART KNOWER SPOTTED :siren:

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Portals posted:

I think the moral of the story is that everyone has different feelings about foods, and some people have weird hangups (including me)

agreed.
and I should probably get some sleep.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

more skeleton jokes posted:

Southern food is good, northern food is garbage

clam chowder would like to remind you who won the civil war

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Pick posted:

DEVIANTART KNOWER SPOTTED :siren:

nessaplz

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Pick posted:

that is elitist

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

this was my senior quote

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pick posted:

teach me your ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

step aside posted:

that is elitist

... :hf:?

• Locked thread