Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What about Fallout 76 or whatever it is? I personally feel like it still looks like rear end, but I am biased because I cant stand the engine they use and the movement profiles of pretty much everything. Nothing looks like it weighs anything and just all looks really awkward to me.

Are they actually doing another single player Elder Scrolls game?

Fallout 76 isn't even an RPG. It's an open-world shooter with crafting mechanics - aka combination of the two main gimmicks used by AAA when they try to make their big cash cow.

There are not even any NPCs in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

There are not even any NPCs in the game.

And yet there's supposedly going to be a campaign? I'm curious to see how they execute that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Another great thing about that quest is that despite the great pacing, they also don't stop you from skipping most of it by being a bit clever and remembering Geralt can magically influence the minds of animals and just direct the goat right to the Pellar's place no problem.

I just had one of those moments like when I realized you can save Paul Denton in the original Deus Ex... :stare:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

El Jeffe posted:

And yet there's supposedly going to be a campaign? I'm curious to see how they execute that.

Be the campaign you want to be!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is that what passes for a teaser these days? :marc:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Is that what passes for a teaser these days? :marc:

Up until then it was just a figment of our imagination so it was nice to see it confirmed. I've been playing those games since daggerfall so i'll alwasy be excited to get mad at bethesda again

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sydin posted:

A lot if it will hinge on TES VI. Skyrim catapulted Bethesda from well known but otherwise pedestrian game studio to cultural phenomenon. It can't afford to only manage the level of "okay but not great" that Fallout 4 did.

Morrowind is one of the best games ever made IMO. Not sure I'd describe Bethesda as pedestrian.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Up until then it was just a figment of our imagination so it was nice to see it confirmed. I've been playing those games since daggerfall so i'll alwasy be excited to get mad at bethesda again
I guess my point is that if I were to get excited about that game, seeing that trailer would not get me any more excited than say, a press release with saying "Yes we are officially making TES 6".

CottonWolf posted:

Morrowind is one of the best games ever made IMO. Not sure I'd describe Bethesda as pedestrian.
It is indeed a great game, however it did not have nearly the popularity or staying power that Skyrim did, comparitively.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I guess my point is that if I were to get excited about that game, seeing that trailer would not get me any more excited than say, a press release with saying "Yes we are officially making TES 6".

It is indeed a great game, however it did not have nearly the popularity or staying power that Skyrim did, comparitively.

Thats only because Oblivion came out much closer to Morrowind than this will to Skyrim, and Skyrim's release timing worked real well for it to weasel its way onto multiple platforms and poo poo and bethesda raked in the cash.

Morrowind was legit mind blowing when it came out, and some of its storytelling methods are still relevant today, and the world design was loving amazing for the time. As a result I'll always have a soft spot for TES games and their story/lore, the turrible MMO as an exception cause gently caress that.

It is totally not going to happen, but I sure hope they paid attention to W3 and at least try and and incorporate a stronger central story with real characters into the game instead of the garbage Skyrim had.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I tried to play Morrowind for the first time recently.

It aged so poorly as to be virtually unplayable, imo

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

CottonWolf posted:

Morrowind was brilliant and clever and inventive and then they followed it up with Oblivion, which was the most cliché, paint-by-numbers fantasy pastiche you can imagine, with the world's worst implementation of level scaling. And to top it off they spent 95% of their voice acting budget to have Patrick Stewart read half a page of lines so the rest of the voicework is riddled with bland deliveries and mistakes.

What I'm saying is that I'm looking forward to playing TES VI for a hundred hours so I can detail exactly why I hate it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I tried to play Morrowind for the first time recently.

It aged so poorly as to be virtually unplayable, imo

it definitely has. If it came out 2-3 years later, it would likely be a very different story since the mods could force the graphics and such much further along, and more easily. nostalgia is the only thing that can get someone through it now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The graphics are fine, it's the dialogue system, combat, movement... that are unbearable. I wanted to like it so much, but there just wasn't anything redeeming about the whole experience.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

steinrokkan posted:

The graphics are fine, it's the dialogue system, combat, movement... that are unbearable. I wanted to like it so much, but there just wasn't anything redeeming about the whole experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNXYrAkUntU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
One of the more notable things about W3 as a successful Western RPG is that you actually have a main character who's a character rather than a player avatar. And he doesn't even look like AAA Marine PC Dude.

Probably the most daunting thing for a studio trying to imitate that is how much background material informs Geralt as a character. Vesemir alone had more character and depth going on than most game studios can manage. Then again, the Baron was their own creation, iirc, and his storyline has more depth than whole franchises.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CottonWolf posted:

Completely agree on Morrowind, I meant pedestrian in terms of their popularity with the general public at large. Morrowind was good but it was really only played by RPG nerds at the time and still is. Skyrim was played by literally everybody. Like, it has Super Mario levels of recognition with the public. My grandmother knows what Skyrim is. That's how big Bethesda hit it with TES V.

I don't envy Bethesda their job in having to live up to that level of hype for the next game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This game really hit my completionist nerve. Now all the grand master swords and armor are adorning the villa, except for the set I'm wearing

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm still annoyed that there are more Witcher armor sets than there are armor stands in Corvo Bianco.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Don't diss Bethesda. If those games don't work for you, it's fine, but if they do... Even the Bethesda games I've liked least I've dropped hundreds of hours into.

I'm looking forward to Fallout 76, the world needs more persistent coop games, it's a zone where AAA has dared to tread, but it can bring innovation, polish, and most importantly, players.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Don't diss Bethesda. If those games don't work for you, it's fine, but if they do... Even the Bethesda games I've liked least I've dropped hundreds of hours into.

I'm looking forward to Fallout 76, the world needs more persistent coop games, it's a zone where AAA has dared to tread, but it can bring innovation, polish, and most importantly, players.

W3 came close, but no game has yet matched the singularly unique experience I had when I first watched a sunset in morrowind as that soundtrack played and I realized just how different it was than anything else I had ever played.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I’m still waiting on the game that iterates and improves upon Star Wars Galaxies. Plenty to work on there but I just love the core concept. And 76 at least gets close to doing that.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

W3 came close, but no game has yet matched the singularly unique experience I had when I first watched a sunset in morrowind as that soundtrack played and I realized just how different it was than anything else I had ever played.

I know just what you mean but have had two comparable experiences in W3 where a scene is idyllic in the purest sense of the word, bolstered by having been on so many harrowing adventures in war-torn hellholes like Velen. The first was slowly approaching An Skellig by boat at sunrise with that vibrant purple sky as that music kicked in for the first time. The second was trotting along a vineyard and a row of windmills in Toussaint with that Ennio Morriconesque woman softly chanting in the background.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sydin posted:

Completely agree on Morrowind, I meant pedestrian in terms of their popularity with the general public at large. Morrowind was good but it was really only played by RPG nerds at the time and still is. Skyrim was played by literally everybody. Like, it has Super Mario levels of recognition with the public. My grandmother knows what Skyrim is. That's how big Bethesda hit it with TES V.
This is exactly what I was trying to say earlier, only explained way better.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I think Geralt works better than bioware main heroes because he has very well defined relationships with the people around him; I genuinely think that what makes Geralt work is that, especially in Witcher 3, he does not seem to be the focus of the story but the people he loves.

I do think tho, that while CDPR grew immensely with each instalment, only witcher 3 clearly set itself so above other rpgs to be genre defining; witcher 1 and witcher 2 were good and great games but I don't think it's fair to say they were miles above all the rest, it comes down to personal preference. Witcher 3 though was more than just a good story but clearly miles ahead in quest design and so on.

I would say though that wither 2 was better than Dragon age 2 because, plot aside, da2 suffers from terrible execution across the board. While already in witcher 2 you could see a clear dedication to detail.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Any one have an issue with a mod disabling fast travel somehow? I just fired up a new game and when i interact with a signpost and pull up the map, clicking on the signpost just does nothing. Only mods I can think of that I have installed that would gently caress with it are friendlyhud and colored map markers. I'm not using fast travel from anywhere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Skyrim might have been the fantasy game juggernaut of 2011 but Witcher 2 was my favourite game that year for being so vastly different to the BioWare and Obsidian style rpgs I'd played up until that point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's this idea that Witcher 2 was a badly received game, but the reality is that it received absolutely rave reviews. Meanwhile Skyrim is... well, sort of the default RPG, to put it kindly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

There's this idea that Witcher 2 was a badly received game, but the reality is that it received absolutely rave reviews. Meanwhile Skyrim is... well, sort of the default RPG, to put it kindly.

The two Chapter Twos thing gave all the game critics a boner, but a significant percentage of the actual players bounced off it. TBH, as much as I am a fan of W3, I... find it hard to stay engaged with W2 for some reason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

steinrokkan posted:

"Wide as an ocean but deep as a puddle" has huge appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Bethesda games have good exploration, dungeon-crawling, character customization, and modability. The modability is important because their games at release tend to be buggy as hell and benefit tremendously from mods.

I'm not saying Bethesda games are bad, I've played a ton of hours in most of them. They have a pretty simple formula that they stick to and don't really push the envelope in any way.

W3 is genre-defining in demonstrating you can have an RPG that is both a mile wide and a mile deep as opposed to inch(es)-deep like F4, DA:I, or Andromeda.

edit: that's not to say W3 is remotely perfect, there are plenty of areas for improvement. The combat is serviceable and most players find it fun, but it could be better, particularly in terms of stats and combat mechanics because a lot of that is pretty opaque. How does armor penetration work? What enemies even have armor? Who knows!

XP and levels were a mistake, imo. Just give players ability points for completing larger quests or something, side quests going gray and no longer awarding XP is a disincentive when gamers are conditioned to chase every last scrap of XP they can find.

Crafting is needlessly complicated although much improved from the previous Witcher games. Inventory management is rather clunky.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 7, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The problem with W2 Chapter 2 breakpoint is that you miss a lot of key information when you choose one of them, and most people aren't keen on replaying games this long.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think my least favorite part of W2 were the forced stealth sections.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Witcher 2 has a lot of "this is a currently popular game mechanic" segments that stick out like a sore thumb because they're in such stark contrast to the rest of the package. Stuff like the stealth missions or the quick time events or the obvious doors-hiding-loading-screens are off-putting.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Any one have an issue with a mod disabling fast travel somehow? I just fired up a new game and when i interact with a signpost and pull up the map, clicking on the signpost just does nothing. Only mods I can think of that I have installed that would gently caress with it are friendlyhud and colored map markers. I'm not using fast travel from anywhere.
Check your coloured map markers compatibility. I had the exact same problem and that was the cause. There is a special version you have to download to make fast travel work. Or maybe it was Show All Quest Objectives... do you have that installed?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What’s all this poo poo talk about Witcher 2? That game is phenomenal and second only to its sequel. It came out the same year as Dragon Age 2 and Skyrim and blew both of them out of the water as far as I’m concerned. That said I’m a series fanboi, so forgive me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Witcher 2's plot stands out on its own as being the most intricate in the series and for taking the most steps away from the book canon. It's an extended prequel to Witcher 3 which itself feels like a true sequel to the novels, but let's not act like Witcher 2 was perfect. Sure, its combat is better than DA2 and Skyrim, but it's not great, and it had some weird technical issues. Plotwise, it's awesome, but requires a double time investment from the player to figure out what the hell is going on, and it didn't have as many contracts as the other games.

When it's good, it's phenomenal, but let's not act like it's flawless.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's mind boggling that Witcher 2 came out the same year as Skyrim. I feel like I played W2 years before it. Maybe I just didn't pick up Skyrim when it came out?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Witcher 1 had the best combat out of the three, it went the furthest towards making Gerald seem like the whirlwind of death I feel he should be. 2 & 3 made him seem sluggish and clumsy in comparison.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just finished Blood & Wine. I'm so glad I finished everything else in the game before spending the last few hours wrapping up the story. It felt so appropriate to hang up my last set of witcher gear, change into regular clothes, and admire the view outside Corvo Bianco with Yen relaxing - knowing there was nothing else to do.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Just finished Blood & Wine. I'm so glad I finished everything else in the game before spending the last few hours wrapping up the story. It felt so appropriate to hang up my last set of witcher gear, change into regular clothes, and admire the view outside Corvo Bianco with Yen relaxing - knowing there was nothing else to do.

It's one of the best endings to a game ever done that I know of. It's insane how much a labor of love Witcher 3 was.