Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Elderbean posted:

Is there anything you should add or remove from your diet while on a stimulant? Any supplements worth looking into?

Yeah, caffeine is bad, but I can't really any foods that it disagrees with. However, try to have protein-filled breakfasts rather than carb-filled ones or no breakfast at all. Like, sausage and eggs rather than cereal or toast. And in general, eating healthy real food makes you feel way better and more alert than processed crap. The only supplement I bother with (besides a multivitamin) is fish oil (for omega-3). I feel it kind of works for me and it's supposedly pretty good for your brain in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Avoid processed sugars.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Is there anything you should add or remove from your diet while on a stimulant? Any supplements worth looking into?

My doc said to avoid eating anti-acids and grapefruit in the morning when I take my pill since that apparently interacts with adderall? Oh, and milk decreases the effectiveness too.

Caffeine is fine but you can't do the 10 cups of coffee or energy drinks to wake up anymore. I already have enough stomach problems as it is so too much caffeine makes me puke stomach bile.

TheBigBad posted:

Avoid processed sugars.

Everyone should be avoiding too much processed sugars :colbert:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Got 30mg of vyvanse to try, took my first one today. Was on 10mg methylphenidate, incase anyone else is curious about switching. Previously, 10mg of adderall gave me pretty bad palpitations and sweating.

My doc said it might not be fully dialed in, but it'd be good to gauge side effects, since that was my primary concern.

Only been a couple of hours, and my impression so far is pretty good.

Almost no jitteriness or sweat. I don't feel "on" like I would when Ritalin would kick in, which was like a kick in the pants. Mostly feel collected and relaxed, and it feels pretty invisible. Like, I'm in control.

Really mellowed out, but not tired. I was scared it would make me sleepy since that's a huge thing I have to combat when I'm not medicated. The other big thing too, I don't feel detached or antisocial. On the flip side, I don't feel aggressively social, like I gotta talk to a million people or ramble someone's ear off.

Guess I'll see if it stays the same.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
I actually had my appointment last week and was diagnosed as ADHD. The doctor thinks that my slight depression/anxiety issues all stem from the ADHD and are at any rate not enough of an issue to be diagnosable on their own. The doctor seemed really surprised and not to quite believe me that I don't really have issues reading books, especially considering that I can't sit through a movie. Lots of questions asked about possible learning disabilities, also lots of questions about things like kindergarten, which I had trouble answering because who even remembers being four?

I've been on Concerta for exactly a week now and I'm pretty neutral on it. My doctor started me at 18mg, going up to 27mg after 2 weeks and 36 starting two weeks after that. I weaned off of caffeine prior to starting Concerta.

First day felt really fuzzy, no energy, husband commented that I seemed a little less scattered. It didn't really feel like the honeymoon period I've seen people describing. Since then most of the fuzziness has gone away and most of the scatteredness has come back. Main effects are that I only forget what I'm doing about once a minute instead of every 5 seconds, and I've been sleeping really well. The need to do 4 things at once is now only a need to do 3 things at once.

I am now super sensitive to caffeine. I made these muffins (which are delicious btw) and one muffin now does what a redbull did before, but with more jitteriness and a more noticeable crash. Concerta + 2 muffins + background music let me get my taxes done!

No headaches. My appetite is normal. I get hungry a little more often, and eat a little less per sitting, but am consuming the same total amount, which is good. I bring the same lunch to work but now am more likely to eat a little at lunch and the rest during coffee breaks instead of all at once sitting during lunch.

I'm interested in seeing what happens when I go up to 27mg next weekend.

miryei fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 6, 2014

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

miryei posted:

Lots of questions asked about possible learning disabilities, also lots of questions about things like kindergarten, which I had trouble answering because who even remembers being four?

As part of my diagnosis, I needed to have my father fill out a lot of health information that I couldn't possibly have known. Nice to know that I (or I suppose my mother) had a normal labor and delivery? It makes sense, since the whole point of an ADHD diagnosis is to rule out any other possible brain issues that could cause the same issues.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

My doc said to avoid eating anti-acids and grapefruit in the morning when I take my pill since that apparently interacts with adderall? Oh, and milk decreases the effectiveness too.

Caffeine is fine but you can't do the 10 cups of coffee or energy drinks to wake up anymore. I already have enough stomach problems as it is so too much caffeine makes me puke stomach bile.

Everyone should be avoiding too much processed sugars :colbert:

Citric acid can lower the effect of adderall, so if you get upped to too high of a dose or absentmindedly take a second dose you can drink some orange juice to make it through the super jitters. (Yeah I've done it).

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I had no idea about any of these interactions with Adderall, neither the citric acid nor the milk. I drink a ton of milk but have never noticed any issues.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm kind of impressed by all the hoops you people had to go through to get diagnosed with ADD -- I just went in to see a psychiatrist for depression, talked a bit about what was going wrong, and after filling out a questionnaire that I could've falsified after about 5 minutes of reading the Wikipedia article on ADD, was sent out with prescriptions for two months of stimulants and a follow-up appointment.

I remember walking out, myself not convinced that I actually had ADD. Fortunately the stimulants worked wonders and I've been taking them ever since.

miryei posted:

I'm interested in seeing what happens when I go up to 27mg next weekend.

Basically the effect will be stronger and your appetite will be even more subdued (watch out). I started on 27mg and when I upped my dose to 36mg, I barely ate for a couple days and would find myself almost starving when the meds wore off in the late evening. It normalizes itself after a week or so as you build tolerance, so don't freak out if your first couple days on a higher dose don't go so well.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm kind of impressed by all the hoops you people had to go through to get diagnosed with ADD -- I just went in to see a psychiatrist for depression, talked a bit about what was going wrong, and after filling out a questionnaire that I could've falsified after about 5 minutes of reading the Wikipedia article on ADD, was sent out with prescriptions for two months of stimulants and a follow-up appointment.

I remember walking out, myself not convinced that I actually had ADD. Fortunately the stimulants worked wonders and I've been taking them ever since.

What country do you live in if it's okay to disclose that? I live in Canada but I'm old enough that when I hit grade school the ADHD/"they're drugging our kids!" panic started. Almost everyone was going absolutely bonkers over the idea of kids getting diagnosed and treated with ritalin and I think that stuck pretty hard to almost every doctor or family member I've talked to. The best doctor I had who helped me get diagnosed in my early 20's didn't even know there was stuff like Wellbutrin being used for adhd since the field moves so fast. If he hadn't been so open minded to me going and doing research on my own for him and working with him I probably still wouldn't have medication sorted out.

There's also the issues of things like countries not even allowing you to have stimulants or still haven't caught up to the times and only offer adderall or ritalin IR. Can't imagine how painful that must be.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

What country do you live in if it's okay to disclose that? I live in Canada but I'm old enough that when I hit grade school the ADHD/"they're drugging our kids!" panic started. Almost everyone was going absolutely bonkers over the idea of kids getting diagnosed and treated with ritalin and I think that stuck pretty hard to almost every doctor or family member I've talked to. The best doctor I had who helped me get diagnosed in my early 20's didn't even know there was stuff like Wellbutrin being used for adhd since the field moves so fast. If he hadn't been so open minded to me going and doing research on my own for him and working with him I probably still wouldn't have medication sorted out.

It might be a provincial thing -- I'm from Quebec. I'm right next to Ottawa, meaning that there are two universities and two CEGEPs within a 10 minutes drive, so the quick recognition of ADD might even just be a local quirk.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 6, 2014

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Evidently Medicaid will pay for genetic testing to see which drugs you metabolize quickly. Someday when were all old they will be able to swab your mouth and tell you which stimulant would have worked for you. Renaissance RX was the company, but I suspect there are several.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

TheBigBad posted:

Evidently Medicaid will pay for genetic testing to see which drugs you metabolize quickly. Someday when were all old they will be able to swab your mouth and tell you which stimulant would have worked for you. Renaissance RX was the company, but I suspect there are several.

:aaaaa:

I wonder if that'd help nail down my issues with stimulants. The doc would be able to make a good case for it. And I'm on WA State Medicaid right now.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

I don't know what drugs they have figured out, but hey worth a shot with all that you've had to try.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll
Any recommendations for dealing with hyperactivity? It used to not be such an issue, but over the last few months it's been driving me bonkers, and nothing I can find or do seems to help. I can't take any of the usual meds because they interact with my antidepressant. I exercise, meditate, eat well, and so on yet I am still incredibly restless and constantly going out and staying busy even when I'm exhausted. My psych prescribed clonidine, which helps because it just makes me too sleepy to move. :v:
Not really suitable for most of the day, obviously.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

How long do you exercise for? You should be doing at least 40m of serious, mouth-breathing, chest-pumping exercise a day, preferably in the morning (so effects last). Swimming, running, biking, martial arts, things that make you work and have to think/pay attention at the same time. If you're just zoning out on a treadmill/stationary bike it might not be working in the way its intended.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

The riding bikes works so well because you get to take in so much sensory while flooding yourself with endorphins and getting exercise. So ride a bike.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

It might be a provincial thing -- I'm from Quebec. I'm right next to Ottawa, meaning that there are two universities and two CEGEPs within a 10 minutes drive, so the quick recognition of ADD might even just be a local quirk.

What?! Dude, you got so lucky. I'm in Montreal and I had to shell out close to two thousand dollars for the tests to get my diagnosis/accommodations, same for a few others I know...

Re: Milk, orange juice, etc., Adderall and other amphetamines (e.g. Dexedrine... Not so much Vyvanse since it activates elsewhere) are sensitive to pH. Roughly speaking, if your stomach's especially acidic they'll be weaker, and if your stomach's especially basic they'll be stronger. How exactly this works out can depend on your metabolism though, and it's not a good idea to experiment. Taking your pills with orange juice, cranberry juice, or soda/cola/coke/pop/whatever-you-call-it-carbonated-beverages (super acidic!) can definitely screw things up though!

Milk shouldn't have much of an effect though. It's neutral to very slightly acidic.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Culinary Bears posted:

What?! Dude, you got so lucky. I'm in Montreal and I had to shell out close to two thousand dollars for the tests to get my diagnosis/accommodations, same for a few others I know...

What? I went to a public psychiatrist, paid nothing, and came out with a diagnosis and a prescription. Did you go through private psychologists or something of the sort?

Oracle posted:

How long do you exercise for? You should be doing at least 40m of serious, mouth-breathing, chest-pumping exercise a day, preferably in the morning (so effects last). Swimming, running, biking, martial arts, things that make you work and have to think/pay attention at the same time. If you're just zoning out on a treadmill/stationary bike it might not be working in the way its intended.

I find that exercise actually reduces the effects of the meds, so I typically leave it for the evening. I've been and had been exercising heavily for years before getting diagnosed, however.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hi everyone! So I think it's a little funny that I honestly can't remember if I've posted in this thread before. (I have in the psych thread, I know that much, at least!) I was trying to read through the thread, but there is a LOT LOT LOT of it, so after giving up on it for months, I decided just to read this last page and call it a day. :iamafag:

Interjecting, I'm a 31 year old woman, married with a 2 1/2 year old, forgot that bit and can't think of where to seamlessly throw it in.

So, I started looking in to mental issues when I started having panic attacks near the end of last year. After jumping through a lot of hoops, I had an appointment with a psychiatrist who gave me a prescription for meds for anxiety and depression, and suggested therapy. WELL.... after getting through the two weeks of sample packs on the meds, my insurance denied paying for the actual prescription because they said the doc should have tried a generic brand first, THEN the office mysteriously canceled my appointment the day before, and I was already two days off the meds. Thankfully, they did the trick of snapping me out of my depression and panic attacks, though. So when I tried calling to get another appointment, they told me that for some reason I needed to go back to my regular doc and get ANOTHER referral? "We just don't want you getting stuck with a bill..." Yeah, the place seems a little crappy. So, since then, I haven't been back.

ANYWAY! Why I'm here! When I was looking into making a psych appointment, and looking into my issues, I started learning about ADHD for the first time and it's like a light bulb flicked on. Between my looking at things and seeing how they fit, my husband looking at things and saying they fit, and talking to my mom about how I was as a kid (after getting over the BS, "Oh yeah, you definitely couldn't pay attention as a kid, but I fixed it because I'm such a great mother! :downs: " [Yes, that is an honest, direct quote.]) I think it's pretty safe to say I may have found what's been the root of my problems my whole life.

I don't have a heck of a lot of time before work so I won't get into it much more (I posted more about it in the psych thread awhile back) but I was curious about how you all feel about going to the doctor and getting a diagnosis. Is it worth it? Has it helped? How many of you are going through therapy as well as being on meds?

Also, on the meds... part of my problem is sleep. Like yesterday, I ran out to the grocery store because we were low on milk, and out of bread. So my husband and I go through our shopping list figuring out what else we should pick up. I run out to the store, run around getting everything I need... in the car on the way home, forgot the drat bread. Ok, I'll run out tomorrow (today) and get it because I need to stop for gas, anyway *grumblegrumble*. That should have been it, but I was seriously up half the night dwelling over that drat bread and thinking about having to run out and I did so much today, I don't want to run out maybe my husband can stop, but I need to get gas anyway, but it's not like I'm buying bread AT the gas station, I can stop in the morning for gas, but I don't like having to rush I'm always late anyway, so I guess I'll stop after work, unless I forget again...

Yeah, you get the picture.

So I guess my question is about sleep. I mean, they treat ADHD with stimulants. Would medication make the sleep worse? The last thing I want to do is have to take a stimulant during the day and something to make me sleep at night. That just wouldn't work for me, I'm WAY too sensitive about sleep drugs.

Ok, I am SO MAD, because I seriously had a second question about the meds but I forgot what it was already. :(

Anyway, I guess I just want to see if it's all worth it. We're tight on money, and the co-pays really add up at $30 a pop. I'm more than likely going to make an appointment soon because it's all making a LOT of sense and my husband's really encouraging it, but we need to wait for our cash to get settled first anyway, so I figured I might as well post here in the mean time.

miryei posted:

I am now super sensitive to caffeine. I made these muffins (which are delicious btw) and one muffin now does what a redbull did before, but with more jitteriness and a more noticeable crash.

Could part of the crash be from the sugar in the muffin? Although, I guess there's a ton of sugar in a redbull, too... I just know when I cut the sugar out of my coffee, I started feeling a LOT better afterwards.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

What? I went to a public psychiatrist, paid nothing, and came out with a diagnosis and a prescription. Did you go through private psychologists or something of the sort?

Yeah, I went private, but I pretty much had to. For months every single place I'd call up was really adamant that they only take children with ADHD, if anyone at all. Although I may have missed out on some French-speaking avenues since I had recently moved here and didn't know the language. FWIW there's some private place that does the evaluation for (only) $900 now that I was thinking of doing when it's time to get re-evaluated, but of course free is better wherever free exists...

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Read this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Delivered-Distraction-Getting-Attention-Disorder/dp/0345442318

Have your husband read it.

It will give you all kinds of coping mechanisms to overcome the stupid poo poo we suffer so you can build good habits that cost nothing and still have milk and bread.

Do you need a diagnosis? No idea- do you need the medication? Just your writing style lends itself to the armchair call- uh yeah. But ultimately that's up to you.

Quick Start: carry a small pad/diary and write the stuff down you're going to forget. Carry it everywhere. Ride Bikes. Avoid processed foods particularly sugar. Create places to put things. Keys go on the key rack or the key bowl. They go there every time- there is never any looking for your keys. etc. None of this costs money. Just effort.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I recently started up with SwolePT and the very first thing the dude had me do was start going to bed at the same time every night. It's helped immensely, I highly recommend A++

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

WolfensteinBag posted:

Also, on the meds... part of my problem is sleep. Like yesterday, I ran out to the grocery store because we were low on milk, and out of bread. So my husband and I go through our shopping list figuring out what else we should pick up. I run out to the store, run around getting everything I need... in the car on the way home, forgot the drat bread. Ok, I'll run out tomorrow (today) and get it because I need to stop for gas, anyway *grumblegrumble*. That should have been it, but I was seriously up half the night dwelling over that drat bread and thinking about having to run out and I did so much today, I don't want to run out maybe my husband can stop, but I need to get gas anyway, but it's not like I'm buying bread AT the gas station, I can stop in the morning for gas, but I don't like having to rush I'm always late anyway, so I guess I'll stop after work, unless I forget again...

Yeah, you get the picture.

Oh yeah. This is textbook ADHD. In 'Delivered from Distraction', there's a story of this woman and a cough drop wrapper in her car and how every time she gets into her car, she see this stupid wrapper and goes 'oh, I need to throw this away, next stop, I'll throw it away!' and then she gets to the store or wherever and grabs everything else except for the cough drop wrapper. She gets back in and goes 'poo poo, I need to throw that away, I'll do it next stop!' and so on and so on. Three years go by and it's still not thrown away.

Seriously, get the book, it's great. I've been medicated for 9 years and it is legitimately a lifesaver for me.

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

Prancerising in your dreams.

Added to the Amazon wishlist.

I've been on a low dose of lamictal (I think 37mg? One and a half pills each morning) for over a year, maybe two or three. I have pretty good moods in the morning- "I can do anything! That sad stuff is sad but isn't so bad." and getting more depressed/weird/spacey in the evening. and am perpetually tired. I have a ton of ADD type quirks that make me think I should try something for the ADD rather than raising the lamictal, which my psych wants to try. I watch an entire movie and then think, "What happened?" because I somehow just didn't take it in. I'm extremely interested in the details and making of things, almost more than the actual thing. I will open the fridge and forget what I opened it for. I've thrown forks in the trash and trash in the sink. I haven't mentioned any of these to the psych because I forget about it and we only meet once every three months. Psych thinks I'm depressed and said raising the lamictal would either help the evening depression and sleep or make me more depressed, which I would rather not experiment with, though I'd rather not experiment with anything. If trying anything new (even thinking about new meds makes me anxious :psypop:), I feel like it should be some ADD stuffs.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Effexxor posted:

Oh yeah. This is textbook ADHD. In 'Delivered from Distraction', there's a story of this woman and a cough drop wrapper in her car and how every time she gets into her car, she see this stupid wrapper and goes 'oh, I need to throw this away, next stop, I'll throw it away!' and then she gets to the store or wherever and grabs everything else except for the cough drop wrapper. She gets back in and goes 'poo poo, I need to throw that away, I'll do it next stop!' and so on and so on. Three years go by and it's still not thrown away.

Seriously, get the book, it's great. I've been medicated for 9 years and it is legitimately a lifesaver for me.

Oh my god I laughed SO HARD at this, because it is the story of my drat life!! Hahaha We jokingly call me Dory from Finding Nemo because I'll seriously forget what the topic of a conversation was halfway through a sentence.

Thanks so much for the recommendation, the book looks really great! And :10bux: is way better than at least two $30 co-pays, plus whatever else out of pocket for meds. I'll definitely be making some appointments in the near future, though. Thanks guys!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's likely. I'm in Alberta, and I've been waiting 5 months for my referral for an assessment to get processed through. I'm hoping that, even if it isn't ADHD, they can at least point me in the right direction. My inability to focus on anything unless I'm under severe stress is getting to be rather soul-rending. Even the things I'm nominally interested in as hobbies are impossible slogs to try and get anything done in after more than a few days. Hell, just getting the referral was like the story mentioned above; as my previous post in this thread implies, I've been waiting for two years to finally just go to the goddamn doctor because I kept putting it off!

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Princess Nebula posted:

Added to the Amazon wishlist.

Check, and mate. ;)

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

What the hell, I have some gift cards to burn anyway. I don't have a diagnosis yet but I imagine I'll benefit from it, plus my shrink seems on-board to try medication at some point.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man, having a long lasting drug that feels so light weight is a game changer. Redosing Ritalin constantly was exhausting and made me feel like a tweaker, but in comparison vyvanse is smooth and almost forgettable, in a good way.

Is delivered from distraction an updated driven to distraction? I still need to pick one (both?) those books up.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Man, having a long lasting drug that feels so light weight is a game changer. Redosing Ritalin constantly was exhausting and made me feel like a tweaker, but in comparison vyvanse is smooth and almost forgettable, in a good way.

Is delivered from distraction an updated driven to distraction? I still need to pick one (both?) those books up.

I have this problem. I keep feeling like a tweaker, like I have concentration but no soul. I can't be creative or find cool connections during my work but the work gets done nevertheless. When I'm on ritalin/concerta I'd like nothing else than be off of it, when I'm off of it I'd like nothing else than be on it. I feel like an addict and it's driving me crazy.

but I don't think I can get vyvanese in my country anyway so what are my options? Just get a coffee mill and buy beans in bulk?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

NeilPerry posted:

I have this problem. I keep feeling like a tweaker, like I have concentration but no soul. I can't be creative or find cool connections during my work but the work gets done nevertheless. When I'm on ritalin/concerta I'd like nothing else than be off of it, when I'm off of it I'd like nothing else than be on it. I feel like an addict and it's driving me crazy.

but I don't think I can get vyvanese in my country anyway so what are my options? Just get a coffee mill and buy beans in bulk?

Ugh I hated coffee rushes too. Yeah, I hated having to carry medication with me cause it only lasted 2-3 hours and the ups and downs were juste wretched. Zombieness and constantly "racing" against the clock to do things before the rebound kicked in.

Look into Dexedrine or adderall maybe? Dexedrine/vyvanse are effectively the same [d-amp]. Adderall is partially d-amp, with l-amp which causes a lot of the weird side effects, at least for me I believe.

You just might not react well to the methylphenidate family. Now it's time to check out the amps.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Ugh I hated coffee rushes too. Yeah, I hated having to carry medication with me cause it only lasted 2-3 hours and the ups and downs were juste wretched. Zombieness and constantly "racing" against the clock to do things before the rebound kicked in.

Look into Dexedrine or adderall maybe? Dexedrine/vyvanse are effectively the same [d-amp]. Adderall is partially d-amp, with l-amp which causes a lot of the weird side effects, at least for me I believe.

You just might not react well to the methylphenidate family. Now it's time to check out the amps.

I'm a Belgian that currently lives in Japan. Neither countries have any other medicine as a choice. Except strattera but I don't feel good about that.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wow what a bind. Ugh.

What about Wellbutrin? And at that stage, I'd almost wanna try straterra just incase it did work.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

I never made it through driven. It felt more like a diagnostic manual for parents written back when no one took it seriously. I found Delivered to be the best thing for me and the people around me to build a system that made me successful.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

NeilPerry posted:

I can't be creative or find cool connections during my work but the work gets done nevertheless.

See, this is something that I worry about, although I suppose in the end it could be worth it. I need to still be able to function in a fast-paced, physical job (the only sort of job I'd be able to handle for over 8 years! :toot: ) and I don't want to lose my creativity because I work with dogs, and being clever in your approaches to training are a HUGE deal. But while I can do my actual work really well, I have a real hard time talking to clients, hearing on the phone, and I have to quadruple check myself when doing any sort of scheduling. I have enough compensation mechanisms in place that I can function pretty well, but that still doesn't help me when I have such a hard time actually looking at a person and having a conversation. I always joke that I use the dogs as a buffer, I can look at them, and pay attention to them, so I don't have to focus 100% on my clients, haha.

While I'm talking about jobs, I'm just curious if any of you have found things you've really thrived at. On one hand, my work does the trick for me: the hours are great, I have a set schedule so I have a great routine, I know the job backwards and forwards, I'm constantly moving around and doing different things, etc. I'm having some difficulties with other (personal) things at my work, though, so I've honestly been wanting to change for a very long time. I'm a groomer, and shops are a dime a dozen, and I could walk into a PetsMart or PetCo today and get a job, but honestly, I'd like to move on at this point. I feel like I've gone as far as I can go, and I do NOT want to own my own place, I definitely don't want that responsibility, haha.

I'm thinking of going back to school since I freaked out after my 3rd year and came home (this is 10 years ago, now). However, my husband and I agree that I'm not going to waste the money going back until I get on medication so I don't do what I've done at EVERY junction of my life like that and go all gung ho to begin with, then freak out under the pressure and quit. I'm also planning on taking very few classes at a time, so while I might take ANOTHER 10 years getting there, I'll at least be sane and have done well on the other end!

At any rate, this leaves me with a lot of time to think about what I want to do. I'm honestly REALLY interested in psychology, I briefly considered majoring in it before, but the insane amount of reading and writing put me off. I feel like I'm more disciplined now, but I also don't know if it's something worth tackling when I'm already over 30 with a family. Maybe I should do something more practical, instead. The door's pretty wide open on my choices, I may have 75 credits under my belt, but they're seriously ALL over the place, because I bounced around majors the entire time.

So how do you guys feel about your jobs? Do you feel like you're thriving in them, or do you feel like you struggle to get by?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

WolfensteinBag posted:

See, this is something that I worry about, although I suppose in the end it could be worth it. I need to still be able to function in a fast-paced, physical job (the only sort of job I'd be able to handle for over 8 years! :toot: ) and I don't want to lose my creativity because I work with dogs, and being clever in your approaches to training are a HUGE deal. But while I can do my actual work really well, I have a real hard time talking to clients, hearing on the phone, and I have to quadruple check myself when doing any sort of scheduling. I have enough compensation mechanisms in place that I can function pretty well, but that still doesn't help me when I have such a hard time actually looking at a person and having a conversation. I always joke that I use the dogs as a buffer, I can look at them, and pay attention to them, so I don't have to focus 100% on my clients, haha.

While I'm talking about jobs, I'm just curious if any of you have found things you've really thrived at. On one hand, my work does the trick for me: the hours are great, I have a set schedule so I have a great routine, I know the job backwards and forwards, I'm constantly moving around and doing different things, etc. I'm having some difficulties with other (personal) things at my work, though, so I've honestly been wanting to change for a very long time. I'm a groomer, and shops are a dime a dozen, and I could walk into a PetsMart or PetCo today and get a job, but honestly, I'd like to move on at this point. I feel like I've gone as far as I can go, and I do NOT want to own my own place, I definitely don't want that responsibility, haha.

I'm thinking of going back to school since I freaked out after my 3rd year and came home (this is 10 years ago, now). However, my husband and I agree that I'm not going to waste the money going back until I get on medication so I don't do what I've done at EVERY junction of my life like that and go all gung ho to begin with, then freak out under the pressure and quit. I'm also planning on taking very few classes at a time, so while I might take ANOTHER 10 years getting there, I'll at least be sane and have done well on the other end!

At any rate, this leaves me with a lot of time to think about what I want to do. I'm honestly REALLY interested in psychology, I briefly considered majoring in it before, but the insane amount of reading and writing put me off. I feel like I'm more disciplined now, but I also don't know if it's something worth tackling when I'm already over 30 with a family. Maybe I should do something more practical, instead. The door's pretty wide open on my choices, I may have 75 credits under my belt, but they're seriously ALL over the place, because I bounced around majors the entire time.

So how do you guys feel about your jobs? Do you feel like you're thriving in them, or do you feel like you struggle to get by?

I don't have a job right now, but I've started translating documents from Japanese to English for a bit of compensation. When I'm on meds, I can work on a text for an hour or two straight, but I find it difficult to rephrase sentences in my mind. English and Japanese have practically no similarities, so I need to be very flexible with my translations. On meds, I tend to translate as directly as I can, without them I can find better ways to phrase what's trying to be said more naturally. My mind just feels slightly more fuzzy on meds.

EDIT: but when all is said and done, the clients usually just want a close approximation as fast as possible. They generally don't have the skills to even judge how good my translation is. So, practically speaking, doing them on meds is more effective.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Nicotine patches?

Article from Discover.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 9, 2014

Princess Nebula
Aug 15, 2013

Prancerising in your dreams.

WolfensteinBag posted:

When I worked as a stage/theatre technician, it was very easy to thrive. There is a set group of people while always meeting and working with new ones for short periods of time. There were new shows constantly, the tasks were extremely varied and things I knew how to do well, and it was an environment I felt at home with. One moment you're hanging lights, the next you're building a set, the next you're programming something, etc etc. The time went by quickly.

I currently still work in the creative field, but in a more office-y environment. It's very relaxed and full of fun people I genuinely enjoy; if it were a cubicle garden I would go nuts. Most of my work is coming up with technical solutions, which is where the ADD shines. There is a lot of work and I'm learning much on the job, so the big challenge is not zoning out when people explain things to me. My solution has been to take the major points of what they say and say it back to them to "make sure I've got it" and they can correct or confirm from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Princess Nebula posted:

When I worked as a stage/theatre technician, it was very easy to thrive. There is a set group of people while always meeting and working with new ones for short periods of time. There were new shows constantly, the tasks were extremely varied and things I knew how to do well, and it was an environment I felt at home with. One moment you're hanging lights, the next you're building a set, the next you're programming something, etc etc. The time went by quickly.

How do I get this job?!

I tried to get experience in that field by trying to contact the performing arts departments at the local colleges and universities to see about volunteering.

I got no responses. :(

---

As much as I did not enjoy working at my last company in the ad business (unreasonable deadlines, overtime, insane client demands), there was one big thing I enjoyed: Collaborating with a creative group of people and the short and varied projects.

While the company that I work for now treats me VERY well, the work is difficult (developer here). Not difficult in a technical sense. But, in a struggle to stay on task and get stuff done. At the place where I work now, each project is a several month long death march. Day in, day out, I come in and work on the same project. And because these projects require complying with the rules and regulations of the 3rd party companies we interface with, I have to do double-duty as a lawyer practically.

Even ON the medications, reading 50+ pages of legalese to even understand what the project requirements are is a struggle. Then on the technical side, I gotta slog through 80+ page technical documents to get our systems to interface with theirs.

It's times like these where I really wonder if software development is for me. I understand the concepts. I never had trouble there. But the amount of attention to detail required is just mentally draining. Again, even ON meds. Truth be told, as soon as I get home, the LAST thing I want to talk about is software. Or anything tech. I just want to break out my scotch, down one of my weed edibles and either watch mindless TV or play mindless games.

gently caress, I need to change careers. Of course, that means going back to school. Which means losing the company insurance. And by extension, affordable access to my meds. I only pay something like ~10-15 dollars for my meds. Last time I was uninsured, you could multiply those figures by 10-15 times!

Guess I ought to hit up a Sam's Club and buy 50lb bags of coffee...