Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The only commentary I can remember listening to over an animated film, at the moment, would be one of the two commentaries on the Aladdin: Diamond Edition Blu-Rays. I think it's got both Clements and Musker on it, as well as some other people; I forget which crew members the other one has. (Neither is new to the Blu-Ray AFAIK, though, since they're put under a separate "DVD extras" category from the rest of the Blu-Ray's extras.) I don't know if I've listened to any others; I rarely listen to such commentaries in general...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Little Mermaid's commentary is great. It has Ron and Jon and Alan Menken. It helps alleviate my somewhat unfounded conception of Menken as a glory hog because he plays clips from Howard Ashman interviews to get him in on it too.

Also Iron Giant's on the blu ray from last year.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Unmature posted:

Little Mermaid's commentary is great. It has Ron and Jon and Alan Menken. It helps alleviate my somewhat unfounded conception of Menken as a glory hog because he plays clips from Howard Ashman interviews to get him in on it too.

Also Iron Giant's on the blu ray from last year.

Man I need to get the Iron Giant Blu Ray.

First I need a Blu Ray player, though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like the commentary for The LEGO Movie. At one point, they actually get Elizabeth Banks on the phone to pipe in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

I like the commentary for The LEGO Movie. At one point, they actually get Elizabeth Banks on the phone to pipe in.

Aw poo poo I'd forgotten about that, that whole sequence was hilarious.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Das Boo posted:

The one for Fantasia was really neat. I'm in awe of the ingenuity and innovation required from stop-motion (also intimidated out of the field by it), and it's very, very interesting to hear about the practices I take for granted in my own. Plus the sheer work that went into pulling of effects you'd never really considered, like the spirits in the Bald Mountain segment.

A lot of the commentaries for the early Disney films are fascinating because they're done by animation historians and as such go into great depth concerning the conditions under which those films were produced and the techniques which were used. Pinocchio is another good example.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Several C-spam avatars have convinced me that Trump's first a is a lion, so Hedrigall should be pro-Trump imo.

This hurts me btw :(

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Samuel Clemens posted:

A lot of the commentaries for the early Disney films are fascinating because they're done by animation historians and as such go into great depth concerning the conditions under which those films were produced and the techniques which were used. Pinocchio is another good example.

Ooh, that's great to hear! I picked up Pinocchio on Blu-Ray recently and haven't had a chance to check out the commentary.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Unmature posted:

LT has such a broad spectrum of things it covers that your best bet is to scroll in the feed and see what tickles your fancy. Plenty of animation related episodes. They also do Talking Simpsons as its own show which is great.

The new LT episode about the history of the Disney Afternoon with an interview with Tad Stones is one of the best episodes ever.

It's an incredibly slow/boring day at work today so I'm listening to this episode and yeah it's really interesting :)

I think I'll go through the Laser Time archive tonight and make a list of episodes to check out. When's your thing come out?

My popculture/media podcast crew of choice is Screen Junkies, but sadly they don't do a lot of animation-related things.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

This hurts me btw :(

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Animation Thread 2017: Secretly the designated Right-Wing Furry thread BTW

Updated.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:negative:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Okay, I'm watching Aristocats, which as we all know is my autobiography, but jesus the beginning of this movie is dull. Were kids supposed to be enthralled by this extended sequence of some old woman talking to her super old crusty lawyer?

e: ok cats are talking, i'm back in

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Okay, I'm watching Aristocats, which as we all know is my autobiography, but jesus the beginning of this movie is dull. Were kids supposed to be enthralled by this extended sequence of some old woman talking to her super old crusty lawyer?

e: ok cats are talking, i'm back in

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
No.

Aristocats update: Movie good but one scene with the butler vs dumb dogs was enough, this second one is obnoxious. 8/10, not enough cattes

edit: That Asian cat, jeez... *tugs collar awkwardly*

edit 2:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 5, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

It's an incredibly slow/boring day at work today so I'm listening to this episode and yeah it's really interesting :)

I think I'll go through the Laser Time archive tonight and make a list of episodes to check out. When's your thing come out?

My things were mostly behind the Patreon wall but I did a stream with Dave that's on the YouTube channel.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Popeye DVDs that came out a while ago had some good commentaries of the "animation historian" variety.

Also I remember when I was younger I watched the Road To El Dorado commentary at some point, and I did a double-take at one part where they said "poo poo" a bunch of times while discussing the line "Holy ship!"

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Aristocats update: Movie good but one scene with the butler vs dumb dogs was enough, this second one is obnoxious. 8/10, not enough cattes

Half-agreed, because Lafayette is so fun. Not sure why the French dogs have country bumpkin accents though.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

You know, I was thinking about the Aristocats the other day and Edgar has to be the worst Disney villain ever. You could have the cats accidentally fall off a car and have the journey home and the plot would basically be the same

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So ended up having that Cloudy with Meatballs tv series on in the background while waiting for SU, and good christ it's just. so. bad.

nerdman42 posted:

You know, I was thinking about the Aristocats the other day and Edgar has to be the worst Disney villain ever. You could have the cats accidentally fall off a car and have the journey home and the plot would basically be the same

Not to mention the whole thing started because he thought cats had literally nine lives was really bad at math and logic. If he stopped for five seconds and realized those cats would need a custodian, none of it would happen.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 5, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

nerdman42 posted:

I genuinely agree that he's the worst of the lot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

So ended up having that Cloudy with Meatballs tv series on in the background while waiting for SU, and good christ it's just. so. bad.

They were going to have a marathon of it all weekend a week or so ago and they had special bumps for it airing, but they backed out of it at the last minute, so its days are probably already numbered.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

They were going to have a marathon of it all weekend a week or so ago and they had special bumps for it airing, but they backed out of it at the last minute, so its days are probably already numbered.

Holy poo poo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Unmature posted:

Holy poo poo

It was also going to be interspersed with airings of the first movie. Additionally, on the previous Monday, the schedule called for an entire day of the new Ben 10. Now, you have to keep in mind that this was the week after it premiered and the show had about 5 episodes to its name. This was also changed, but this had to have been an absolute last minute thing because the Ben 10 airings were still on my cable box's schedule.

And like, the bumps for the Cloudy weekend were still airing, it was just kind of a normal schedule with some of the Cloudy series and a couple airings of the movie.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Robindaybird posted:

There was something on Cartoon Network besides Teen Titans Go?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SolarFire2 posted:

There was something on Cartoon Network besides Teen Titans Go?

I think CN was hoping that Cloudy would become the new Teen Titans Go

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I hadn't even seen Cloudy, but I suspect fans of the movie would hate the series more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

I hadn't even seen Cloudy, but I suspect fans of the movie would hate the series more.

They fuckin' pull some garbage retcon to have Sam, who was distinctly established in the movie as having never been to Swallow Falls, present during Flint's high school years.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Before we move entirely on from Aristocats chat, I want to share that the piano cover of Everybody Wants to Be a Cat is good stuff.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I think CN was hoping that Cloudy would become the new Teen Titans Go

CN has been digging for a new TTG (I.E.: Something cheap as hell but marketable anyways) for some time now and it's starting to make me sad. Something decent needs to blow up so that stupid executives start copying that for a few years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

readingatwork posted:

CN has been digging for a new TTG (I.E.: Something cheap as hell but marketable anyways) for some time now and it's starting to make me sad. Something decent needs to blow up so that stupid executives start copying that for a few years.

They're also bleeding shows dry. Regular Show's ended, Adventure Time only has 2 years left, Gumball's future is up in the air, Clarence and Uncle Grandpa have stopped production, they premiered a new episode of the Powerpuff Girls reboot on a Sunday afternoon between two movies, so that's pretty much dead...I'm hoping OK KO is the hit they need.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

They're also bleeding shows dry. Regular Show's ended, Adventure Time only has 2 years left, Gumball's future is up in the air, Clarence and Uncle Grandpa have stopped production, they premiered a new episode of the Powerpuff Girls reboot on a Sunday afternoon between two movies, so that's pretty much dead...I'm hoping OK KO is the hit they need.

Same. Ian is a cool dude (and also a goon) and deserves a win.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and Steven Universe has it's weird bomb schedule... that inevitably gets leaked before it actually airs. I've never seen a show that has such issues with poo poo not leaking.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Robindaybird posted:

and Steven Universe has it's weird bomb schedule... that inevitably gets leaked before it actually airs. I've never seen a show that has such issues with poo poo not leaking.

The leaks are purposeful.

Cartoon Network now wants people to just watch on their app, and puts the bombs on the app ahead of time to encourage its use.
Piracy is simpler from app than from television.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What's a bomb in the context you guys are using it here? Like, several episodes at once?

edit: Hedrigall, I found a book for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Beast-Classic-Animal-Brides/dp/0143111698

quote:

“[This] new book from Penguin . . . provides some historical context [to the Disney film]. . . . Most of the stories about young women and animal grooms follow a predictable pattern. . . . But the Penguin book also includes plenty of stories in which the genders are flipped, pairing young men with animal brides.” —The New Yorker

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 6, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Drifter posted:

What's a bomb in the context you guys are using it here? Like, several episodes at once?

They release an episode or two a day for a week and then go into radio silence for some 3-8 months.
I KEEP. MISSING. MY poo poo.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Weak burn, man

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Weak burn, man

Not a burn. Just thought you could read classically about it the world over instead of paying people on Patreon money to draw it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Not a burn. Just thought you could read classically about it the world over instead of paying people on Patreon money to draw it.

Ooh slightly better burn, 6/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wait Cartoon Network has an app? I've been wanting a legal way to check out Stephen Universe, is it good?

The app I mean