Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

It's hard to show off both the campaign and the turned-based combat in a reasonable amount of time. For sheer enthusiasm, a bunch of people in the thread like this one.
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OncJWeODv2M

Can't speak for the quality of it because I haven't watched it, but it looks like these guys recorded a stream a few hours ago..

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can someone explain Clan invasion "bidding"?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bieeanshee posted:

Not NB, but wanted to take the opportunity to offer a word of thanks. Inclusivity is awesome. :)

same!

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Baron Porkface posted:

You lose on purpose and then the fox farms you for spare parts. That's bidding in a nutshell. Emphasis on nut.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Baron Porkface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Since you already got your witty answers, they would bid to see who could use the least amount of Mechs / elementals / dropships, etc., to fight a battle. The one who said they could do it with the least got to attack and prove how badass they were. This caused the Clans a lot of problems.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

But also won some warriors much glory. To the Clanner, it works out

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Internet Explorer posted:

Since you already got your witty answers, they would bid to see who could use the least amount of Mechs / elementals / dropships, etc., to fight a battle. The one who said they could do it with the least got to attack and prove how badass they were. This caused the Clans a lot of problems.

Specifically caused them problems because it would turn out that the attacker was not as badass as they thought they were.

It's an interesting story device that explains why the clans don't just overrun every planet they come across.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Yarp. Bidding was also supposed to be a way to reduce the amount of damage caused by conflicts. For example, two Trinaries (15 mechs) could be facing off over control of a factory. The combatants (especially if they respected each other) could progressively bid lower and lower, until they got down to a 1 v 1 mech duel, which would be seen as less wasteful as only two mechs would be "officially" involved.

Of course, if one side perceives the other as breaking terms of the final bid (such as acting "dishonorably"), then the conflict opens up to everyone who was part of the initial bid (for example, in the scenario described above, it would be Trinary vs Trinary if they started at that point).

DrPop fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 19, 2018

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
The wolves and bears are sort of famous for bidding away orbital naval support, with immediate and very obvious effects. At the time this was going on, another clan glassed a town from orbit after they got btfo'd by the local yakuza.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

How Disgusting posted:

The wolves and bears are sort of famous for bidding away orbital naval support, with immediate and very obvious effects. At the time this was going on, another clan glassed a town from orbit after they got btfo'd by the local yakuza.

For context this was generally because the Clans quickly realized the spheroids had no actual warships left so it became pretty boring and not glorious at all

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

UberJew posted:

For context this was generally because the Clans quickly realized the spheroids had no actual warships left so it became pretty boring and not glorious at all

Is space combat a thing within the BT universe? I am ignorant and this seems like a thing which should exist.

I know of aerospace fighters but nothing beyond that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nickiepoo posted:

Is space combat a thing within the BT universe? I am ignorant and this seems like a thing which should exist.

Yes, but it's rare because warships are ruinously expensive and hard to build.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Nickiepoo posted:

Yes, but as with everything else, most naval assets belonging to Successor States went the way of the Dodo during the Succession Wars.

Naval conflicts (with big ol' ships) don't really begin again in earnest until the late FedCom Civil War/Jihad era, when a bunch more factions either had more WarShips (in the Inner Sphere) or were less reserved about blowing each other's up (in the IS and in the Clan Homeworlds).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It was, but then the 1SW happened and conveniently WarShips and the orbital dockyard that produced them were considered "priority targets".

There are only a few left, if any.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Space fights between fighters and dropships we're definitely a thing, but jumpships were off limits for most of the playable history because they were lostech.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
So it's a Dune-ish situation where interstellar travel is too important to gently caress with.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

isildur posted:

The amount of poo poo I've had thrown at me over this. Uggggh. Still, I've had NB people contact me to thank me for it; one of those is worth a hundred angry KotakuInAction posters.

Add me to the list of people saying thanks, it's always a pleasant surprise when a gender neutral option to be referred to as shows up in a game. :toot: Hype as poo poo for the game to release, if the username didn't give it away.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, more or less, Nickiepoo.

I mean the real reason is the entire universe has been shaped so that stomping around in giant robots is the focus instead of railgunning planets from 3 AU out, but there was a fluff 'understanding' between the powers that jumpships were too important to destroy. Mostly. Except when someone did and/or tried, but that was bad.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The Battletech Universe always makes me wonder what would happen if mankind makes contact with an alien civilization who didn't waste all their resources on giant robots and killing each other.

It would probably not be pretty.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Nickiepoo posted:

So it's a Dune-ish situation where interstellar travel is too important to gently caress with.

Bingo. JumpShips are near irreplaceable. Attacking one posses everyone off.

Also conveniently there's only one factory in the IS that can produce a Compact Kearny-Fuchida Drive (having one is the distinction between WarShips and JumpShips). And it's on Terra.

Controlled by ComStar.

Who control all interstellar communications.

Who are also sitting on the capital of the Star League, the most heavily defended planet in history.

Who are, of course, most assuredly pacifists. And completely trustworthy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Libluini posted:

The Battletech Universe always makes me wonder what would happen if mankind makes contact with an alien civilization who didn't waste all their resources on giant robots and killing each other.

It would probably not be pretty.

They'd be exterminated or enslaved by one of the aggressive, expansionist powers of humanity.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

Yeah, more or less, Nickiepoo.

I mean the real reason is the entire universe has been shaped so that stomping around in giant robots is the focus instead of railgunning planets from 3 AU out, but there was a fluff 'understanding' between the powers that jumpships were too important to destroy. Mostly. Except when someone did and/or tried, but that was bad.
They did have a smaller line of games devoted to space battles, but yeah. Gotta keep that focus on stompy robots.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

wiegieman posted:

Yes, but it's rare because warships are ruinously expensive and hard to build.

This is one of the most solid reasons in the background. WarShips are UNBELIEVABLY expensive. For reference, an old 3025-era Atlas, the AS7-D(which is the one we'll be seeing in this game), will clock you about 9.6 million c-bills by the old fluff. A hot-off-the-presses front line Clan Omnimech in the form of a Mad Cat, priced out for parts, is around 24 million c-bills. One of the new model WarShips the Inner Sphere begins producing once they get their technological groove back on, the Fox Class Corvette, runs about 16.5 billion C-Bills, and a Fox is actually the WarShip equivalent of a light mech. A McKenna, a famous ship-of-the-line and notable for being the personal flagship of Aleksandr Kerensky(grandpappy of the Clans and leader of the Star League's army) will set you back roughly 21.3 billion. The loss of a single WarShip is enough to be noticeable to the GDP of a successor state. Back in the old FedCom Civil War fluff there's a point where some Foxes tangle with an Avalon(a cruiser) and they all end up going down and one of the observers muses how he just watched the wealth of multiple planetary systems go up in smoke in about 30 minutes of fighting.

In addition, as stated, they're hard to build, hard to maintain, and are also incredibly hard to operate because there haven't been significant naval battles for centuries so there's no such thing as a veteran crew.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 19, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

isildur posted:

The amount of poo poo I've had thrown at me over this. Uggggh.

You just mentally translate those people's complaints into "You are awesome, your game is awesome, and I am mad at you for it."

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Warships became a lot more common after the Jihad/FedCom civil war

Regardless of the lore, tabletop provides minis and extensive rules for space combat

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

UberJew posted:

I thought the Lyrans had one left or something but it was some rusted junk barely working.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 19, 2018

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
But Warships used to be a thing so here came the clans with their refit warships expected some good old fashioned space fights, but nope, nobody to fight. Every single clan had aerospace pilot warriors who got to do approximately jack poo poo because there was just nobody to fight and no glory to be had in blasting ground targets

e: there were as mentioned IS aerospace fighters and armed dropships but it was just, outright no actual contest unlike on the ground where they could actually put up a fight, sometimes

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 19, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ImpactVector posted:

They did have a smaller line of games devoted to space battles, but yeah. Gotta keep that focus on stompy robots.

These rules live on! In Tactical Operations, Strategic Operations, and Interstellar Operations + the Tech Manual

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Phi230 posted:

These rules live on! In Tactical Operations, Strategic Operations, and Interstellar Operations + the Tech Manual
Cool. I had little doubt. Those two were just the ones I was familiar with (because the box sets are still in my basement from when I was a teenager).

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Also yeah Im pretty sure Comstar had a old Warship or two hanging around that they are keeping under wraps as well.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Axetrain posted:

Also yeah Im pretty sure Comstar had a old Warship or two hanging around that they are keeping under wraps as well.

Two fleets worth, in fact.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Phi230 posted:

I thought Warships became a lot more common after the Jihad/FedCom civil war

Regardless of the lore, tabletop provides minis and extensive rules for space combat

I can't recall much of the fluff about WarShips *after* the Jihad, but I know that a shitload of them were destroyed during it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

UberJew posted:

Imagine how the Clanner warship crews must've felt when they learned this. :haw:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Imagine how the Clanner warship crews must've felt when they learned this. :haw:

I would absolutely love to read fiction about how the warship and aerospace folks spent their time while the mechwarriors and elementals were fighting the actual invasion

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There's actually a bit in one of the old books where you get to see a Jade Falcon WarShip crew and the captain is absolutely disgusted and at the end of his rope because he's about to age out of the clan military system without any opportunity to actually win glory because there's no one to engage in glorious space battle with and no Clan ground commander is ever going to lower themselves to asking for orbital fire support against a defenseless ground target.

Ironically he's super excited because he gets his chance when Clan Wolf-In-Exile shows up in-system with a couple of WarShips but he's not able to meaningfully fight back because the slovenly technician caste members of his crew stopped bothering to pay attention to proper maintenance because they never expected their ship to actually go into combat, so the captain ends up disgraced for losing without a fight.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How successful where the clans invasion? Did they take significant a significant number of IS planets or did the IS manage to fight them off without significant loss?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

UberJew posted:

I would absolutely love to read fiction about how the warship and aerospace folks spent their time while the mechwarriors and elementals were fighting the actual invasion

Aerospacers still got to do stuff. The Sphere had the means to produce their own aerospace fighters, but even on worlds that didnt there were often still atmosphere-only aircraft around to fight, and Aerospace fighters would be used to fight mechs and stuff.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DrPop posted:

Yarp. Bidding was also supposed to be a way to reduce the amount of damage caused by conflicts. For example, two Trinaries (15 mechs) could be facing off over control of a factory. The combatants (especially if they respected each other) could progressively bid lower and lower, until they got down to a 1 v 1 mech duel, which would be seen as less wasteful as only two mechs would be "officially" involved.

Of course, if one side perceives the other as breaking terms of the final bid (such as acting "dishonorably"), then the conflict opens up to everyone who was part of the initial bid (for example, in the scenario described above, it would be Trinary vs Trinary if they started at that point).

Also, never forget that Clanners are basically exactly like the worst kind of grognardy wargamer, so there can be quite a bit of rules-lawyering and borderline cheating going on. For example, there's apparently one rule that allows you to re-activate the very last thing you bid away when it might make the difference. That's technically less-than-honorable, but still generally preferable to losing entirely. And since bidding tends to start by bidding away big items first and becomes progressively finer, the last thing you bid away might be like a single light mech or even just an individual weapon on a particular mech. So it's not usually a big deal either way.

Unless, of course, some rules-lawyer gets their hands on it. Like one commander who, instead of bidding bit by bit, just bid a full trinary (15 mechs or equivalent) away and left it at that. And when he started losing, he used that rule to get those fifteen fresh, pristine mechs right back, and suddenly outnumbered his opponent basically 2:1, while still technically being honorable and poo poo. At least as long as he managed to win. He actually didn't, because he was up against one of the rare Clan commanders who know even a tiny bit about strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

ComStar is secretly the most powerful faction in the Inner Sphere, and not just from a political, but a military point to.

Politically, any faction that goes against their aims can get put under an Interdiction, where they refuse to send any of this info. This is catastrophic enough that Great Houses balk at even considering pissing ComStar off, because an inability to communicate means you're hosed. The FWL almost fell when Marik realized ComStar was loving them over and got justified revenge.

But military wise they are sitting on a force of around 40 regiments of pristine vintage SLDF hardware. The only thing they lack is the pilots to drive them. And their mechs have all the LosTech toys.

It's why they absolutely lose their shot when the Clans show up, because this is an enemy force that actually out-techs them, and this goes completely against their prophecy that the Inner Sphere will collapse and ComStar will rise from the ashes to rebuild the Star League as its holy theocratic rulers.