Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thanks for the advice on Istanbul and Five Tribes. I think I may get the former and wait until I can try out the latter in a cafe or shop; from videos it looks both fun and potentially maddening, and it's hard to tell which.

Now I just have to convince myself that I need to spend more money on board games, especially with that CSI free shipping. What do I need a hundred dollars for anyway, besides food and healthcare and rent? :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

atholbrose posted:

Just one shelf? Just two?

Not shown: the other shelf in this room, the two in the dining room, the boxes of exiled games in the basement...

You think you can stop. At one point, so did I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEcRZeO9DAg

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

CaptainRightful posted:

Some of those have expansions inside them (LOTR LCG is packed tight!). Some have Planos. The purple binder is full of Dominion. CoB and the Gric are in my "to sell or trade" section.

I'd play all of those with you.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

I just put a hard limit on myself to encourage more plays of the games I really like and prevent buying new hotness until the hype settles. We're moving into our new home soon (first time buyers and we have a dedicated game room woo), so I may add a third 2x2 kallax.

Congratulations on the house.

So I got my first package of games this week from recommendations in this thread which included Patchwork and Keyflower. Me and my wife got in two plays of Patchwork and we are already addicted. I'm not big into any sort of puzzles but there is something about the game that has me hooked. It's also fast enough that you can get multiple playthroughs in when you have small children. Up next is learning the rules of Keyflower so we can get a game in hopefully this weekend.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rad Valtar posted:

So I got my first package of games this week from recommendations in this thread which included Patchwork and Keyflower. Me and my wife got in two plays of Patchwork and we are already addicted. I'm not big into any sort of puzzles but there is something about the game that has me hooked. It's also fast enough that you can get multiple playthroughs in when you have small children. Up next is learning the rules of Keyflower so we can get a game in hopefully this weekend.

You're hooked because it's good.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

I'd play all of those with you.

I'm only 4 hours away from the UP! Maybe we could meet up in Milwaukee?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm in the lower peninsula now, but the UP is in my future. I would seriously consider a long weekend to meet up and play games. What state are you in?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Game 2 of The Colonists basic mode. I decided to give the basic mode another shot, I hosed up pretty badly last time. This time went much better, I came out with $61 VP this time around, much better than $51 last time! I still hosed up a few times, but they are easy mistakes to avoid in the future. Mostly how critical the positioning of the spaces is. Next game I think I will try age two, using the quick start rules. I don't think I will try a full game until I have played each age individually, so I can see how they fit together.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rad Valtar posted:

Thanks! Any goons in Florida are invited to the first game night.

For learning Keyflower, the hardest part was organizing the tiles accordingly. These two aids also help with simplifying things and answering questions about tiles

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/89990/keyflower-summary

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/93416/tile-summary-player-aid

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

I'm in the lower peninsula now, but the UP is in my future. I would seriously consider a long weekend to meet up and play games. What state are you in?

I'm in Chicago. We've got tons of boardgamers here, it's well worth a visit. At least one other contributes to this thread.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Well poo poo, I'm only four hours (max) from you as well. Do I spy a cribbage board in there as well?

I'm semi serious about a good weekend. I owe my girlfriend a fun weekend in a big city, so maybe I can convince her to spend a night and a morning playing games.

Anyway, I'm in Grand Rapids, which is super close. I'd love an excuse to have a ftf COIN night.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

al-azad posted:

I'm mostly familiar with the 3rd edition but the old edition has a time limit as well so I don't know. Either people are literally taking 10 minutes to perform their turn or Dracula isn't maturing vampires.

I was dumb we're playing 3rd edition, I think she wasn't maturing vampires at all, or we were finding them, but it dragged on for a while. Turns also took kind long. Idk what exactly the rub was.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I was dumb we're playing 3rd edition, I think she wasn't maturing vampires at all, or we were finding them, but it dragged on for a while. Turns also took kind long. Idk what exactly the rub was.

Don't forget that once all three despair tokens are on the board Dracula gets 3 influence every time he goes to a city. Once you hit that point if Dracula hasn't been encountered yet it's pretty much a downward spiral to the end.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Lord Frisk posted:

I also live in the lower peninsula. It seems every thread I'm in has a ton of Michigan goons.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
God damnit, I was all excited that Castles of Mad King Ludwig got here, and I noticed the plastic wrap around the room cards was slightly tore and the top card had the surface slightly scruffed. Not a big problem, but I looked at the rules and I should have 50 room cards and I have 49. gently caress :(

At least I got it from Amazon and they have good support so I've already thrown up an exchange and should hopefully get it Sunday with any luck.

It pays to always check your pieces to make sure they match when unboxing--never really had to do it before. I should probably be more diligent about that in the future.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 20, 2017

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

Depending on which part of Michigan you're in, Ferndale (metro detroit area)is where my game group is, plays every Monday night and draws 30-60 people. PM if you want details.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

al-azad posted:

Don't forget that once all three despair tokens are on the board Dracula gets 3 influence every time he goes to a city. Once you hit that point if Dracula hasn't been encountered yet it's pretty much a downward spiral to the end.

I figured it out.

A hunter doesn't have to search to find a clue for dracula. If they enter a city Dracula's been in, Dracula just reveals that card.

We were confusing this game with Letters from Whitechapel's rules, where you have to search to reveal that location.

Problem solved.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 20, 2017

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Kerro posted:

What do you think of Concept? It sounded like an interesting idea but wondered if it would actually be fun to play.

I have had great success playing Concept with all skill levels. Expect the first few rounds to be slow while people discover what icons exist on the board and what fancy stuff they can do with them. Play out the first few clues for them and narrate what your thought process is as you play it.

I also like to play the game in a Co-op Mode, where everyone is trying to collectively reach a point target before we go two times round the table. It puts a limit on the play time and adds some tension to the game.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Lord Frisk posted:

Anyway, I'm in Grand Rapids, which is super close. I'd love an excuse to have a ftf COIN night.

You ever go to OOTB on Wednesdays for game night?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I really enjoy Food Chain Magnate, and would like to consider other Splotter Games/ Games that get bunched in with them as heavy weight.

Can anyone speak to the general mechanics of Roads and Boats, Indonesia, Great Zimbabwe, and The Gallerist? They all seem to not neatly fit in any one euro game category, and sort of do their own things like Food Chain Magnate.

Also will there be any imminent availability issues with any of them that should affect purchasing order? I know Roads and Boats is already impossible to find. What's the deal with Indonesida? It looks like it came out in 2005, but many sites have it for preorder now?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
In pandemic legacy, if you lose the first round of the month do you keep all the bad poo poo on the board? We lost first January game and kept no good or bad thinggs... have we stuffed up?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
All city-decay, game-end upgrades, and plot-related mechanics changes carry over from failed games. You should never remove a sticker. Remember, you can get game-end upgrades even when you lose.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

teacup posted:

In pandemic legacy, if you lose the first round of the month do you keep all the bad poo poo on the board? We lost first January game and kept no good or bad thinggs... have we stuffed up?

I'm curious about how you even managed this. Did you remove all the stickers and put them back on the sticker sheets?

But as Krazyface said, you shouldn't remove anything from the board, and always get game-end bonuses; it's your consolation prize (that and increased funding)

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
We just noted down what was lost and didn't actually put the stickers on as we didn't think it'd count- will fix up from now on!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
My group is under the suspicion that the players are trainees at the CDC, given that it can effortlessly wipe out every disease twice a month, while our team of scrubs can barely contain them without 4 or 5 Outbursts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megasabin posted:

I really enjoy Food Chain Magnate, and would like to consider other Splotter Games/ Games that get bunched in with them as heavy weight.

Can anyone speak to the general mechanics of Roads and Boats, Indonesia, Great Zimbabwe, and The Gallerist? They all seem to not neatly fit in any one euro game category, and sort of do their own things like Food Chain Magnate.

Also will there be any imminent availability issues with any of them that should affect purchasing order? I know Roads and Boats is already impossible to find. What's the deal with Indonesida? It looks like it came out in 2005, but many sites have it for preorder now?

Indonesia got rereleased last year.

I'd need to make an effort post about the other three.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lump Shaker posted:

You ever go to OOTB on Wednesdays for game night?

No, only because I used to work night shift, so it was super inconvenient. I guess now that I'm awake during the day I should try to remedy that.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Lord Frisk posted:

No, only because I used to work night shift, so it was super inconvenient. I guess now that I'm awake during the day I should try to remedy that.

I finally moved here at the beginning of the year so I'd be down for gaming once my schedule has been settled( have a 3 month old schedule to work around); however, I did start going to OOTB on mondays for net runner. I live pretty close to downtown.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Megasabin posted:

The Great Zimbabwe is the other one I play a lot of and really enjoy. It's unusual in a few ways.

Fundamentally it's a tile map and the game is about route planning to/with resources. First to reach a certain VP goal wins.

The unusual knobs are:

- There is also an economic thing going on with cattle as currency but currency is just a means to an end, no VP value itself.
- Obtaining advantages adds to your VP goal. The more advantages you "buy" the more points you need to win.
- Turn order is bid on, and there is a very important gear shift involved. At the beginning of the game turn order bids are often cheap and not super important. It becomes very much the opposite as the game goes on and demand begins to outstrip supply. Reading this ongoing situation and riding it are critical to winning. Ignore it and you'll find yourself the richest loser on the board.
- Bids for turn order as well as payments for resources go back to the players in a nearly-closed-loop economy, creating a race condition of not who has the most cash, but who can spend it the most effectively.

It's a candidate for "good for you but better for me: the game" in a way.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 20, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

teacup posted:

We just noted down what was lost and didn't actually put the stickers on as we didn't think it'd count- will fix up from now on!

I'll bring this up whenever anyone discusses a rules gaff in Pandemic Legacy: Read the rulebook extremely carefully. There are a few weird gotchas in there and it is very painful to correct mistakes if you catch them too late. At least you aren't the guy I read about who went ahead and opened all the dossier doors before their first game because they thought that's what you were supposed to do.

Read the rules!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SettingSun posted:

At least you aren't the guy I read about who went ahead and opened all the dossier doors before their first game because they thought that's what you were supposed to do.

:stonk:

Again, I have underestimated human stupidity.

The Colonists looks super dope from Rutibex's posts, might have to keep an eye out for that in the future.

I found out a few days ago that all of my AFfO solo challenges I had been saving to make the topic(4 at that point) had all not saved on my computer. :suicide:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

All the hockey dudes coming to the board gaming thread. You'll love Dominion, Jordan, it's incredible.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Ok so obvious question - is there any kind of hockey board game that is any good? I saw a soccer game that looks really cool, and I know there's baseball games that are pretty good, but what about our favorite sport? Management sim or game sim, doesn't matter. I have a game called NHL powerplay but it was not good the one time I played it. Lacrosse themed would also be acceptable.

On another note - I played Tash Kalar with my brother last night. He gave up about halfway through the game and complained about how the initial card draw was bullshit. We talked about it a bunch and then I flipped through his hand and played out the turn for him - he had the ability to gain VP on the turn he gave up and basically catch right up to me. He's an interesting guy... he gets incredibly frustrated if he doesn't understand the strategy right away, but won't ask questions during the learning game despite me prompting him to, which leads to stuff like this. After talking it through though he's always good to come back to the game and give it another shot. He said he wants to try it again.

I think I'll need to modify my approach to teaching him games and maybe enforce a "cards up" rule in our first game with new stuff that doesn't just build on game types he already knows.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Johnny Truant posted:

:stonk:

Again, I have underestimated human stupidity.

The Colonists looks super dope from Rutibex's posts, might have to keep an eye out for that in the future.

I found out a few days ago that all of my AFfO solo challenges I had been saving to make the topic(4 at that point) had all not saved on my computer. :suicide:

nooooooooooo

I've been waiting for those!

Also you should have just posted with the first one, why wait?

nooooooooooo

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm really looking forward to it.

Ok so obvious question - is there any kind of hockey board game that is any good? I saw a soccer game that looks really cool, and I know there's baseball games that are pretty good, but what about our favorite sport? Management sim or game sim, doesn't matter. I have a game called NHL powerplay but it was not good the one time I played it. Lacrosse themed would also be acceptable.

Ehhh not really that I know of. I have the hockey hall of fame game and it's as bad as it sounds. Strat-O-Matic is generally well regarded but it's pretty bare bones, especially for someone with experience in fantasy hockey. I can't even think of many sports themed games that are good. Baseball Highlights, Thunder Alley, Winner's Circle, maybe Flamme Rougue.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

silvergoose posted:

nooooooooooo

I've been waiting for those!

Also you should have just posted with the first one, why wait?

nooooooooooo

Yeah I've really dropped the ball on making the new topic and keeping up with this, my apologies! I remember most of the scenarios, it's just the occupation card lists I'm lacking. I took photos of most of my playthroughs so I should at least have the first ~8 cards for each game.

I promise I'll get it up next week! I might ask for a day off next week so I can get my life in order(work and starting another class has got me :gibs:).

Sorry, again! :(

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Does Pandemic Legacy suffer if you don't play with a full group of four players? Right now it looks like we'll be playing with three.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm ready for new solo challenges

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Does Pandemic Legacy suffer if you don't play with a full group of four players? Right now it looks like we'll be playing with three.

We played with two (and only one character a piece) and it was great. It'll be fine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah I've really dropped the ball on making the new topic and keeping up with this, my apologies! I remember most of the scenarios, it's just the occupation card lists I'm lacking. I took photos of most of my playthroughs so I should at least have the first ~8 cards for each game.

I promise I'll get it up next week! I might ask for a day off next week so I can get my life in order(work and starting another class has got me :gibs:).

Sorry, again! :(

No apologies needed! I'm just eagerly awaiting. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

I've been playing Road to Enlightenment and I want to recommend it.

The game got generally bad reviews and has a very low BGG score. Many reviewers criticized it for being shallow and deficient in its gameplay, for not working mechanically and for having an incomprehensible rulebook. It sold so badly that the publisher cancelled a planned expansion. It retailed for about $60 at release and now sells for $12. This is a shame because it's actually quite good.

The central idea in Road to Enlightenment is that you are a European monarch striving to make your nation supreme in art, science, religion and war. You do this by making use of luminaries, cards depicting famous figures of the late Renaissance and Enlightenment. Luminaries have numerical ratings in various categories (warfare, ideas, banking, etc) and also have special abilities that can be used on their own or can assist other luminaries.

On each turn you take two actions, then collect taxes and pay for upkeep of your kingdom. You track your prestige on two bars, one for science and one for art, and you also keep track of the power of Catholicism versus Protestantism (which the game calls "anti-Catholic" because it includes Eastern Orthodox and some other Christian denominations that aren't exactly Protestant). Many luminaries can add to your prestige on the art and science tracks, and periodically you also have a chance to participate in a "census," which costs you one of your two actions but can advance your prestige a great deal. War takes place on a map of Europe. In the end the player with the highest cumulative prestige wins. That's it - the rules are neither complex nor long.

Each turn forces interesting decisions on the players - do you wage costly war to increase your own prestige and bring down a leader (probably France, which has special rules to represent the fact that everyone else in Europe both hates and envies Louis XIV)? Do you try to plan for an upcoming census? Do you use your luminaries for their special abilities, or to raise tax revenue? If you lean too hard on any one aspect of the game you can get yourself in trouble - neglecting finances especially can leave you vulnerable and lead to upkeep problems.

Dim-witted board game reviewers found all this VERY confusing. Some looked at the luminary card system and decided that Road to Enlightenment was a deck builder, but a very bad one; others saw the map (which strongly resembles Friedrich's) and decided that Road to Enlightenment was a wargame of conquest and maneuver, but also a very bad one. The game is neither of these things - it's more of a cross between a Pax game and Diplomacy.

I can almost see how reviewers came to these conclusions: the map of Europe is huge, colorful, and seems like it should be the center of the game, but it simply isn't. Military conquest is intentionally limited and abstract (you can never conquer more than five territories -that's right in the rules, and should have been a clue). Similarly I can see how the confusion about deckbuilding arose - the game does have deckbuilding aspects, in that you draw cards to build a group of luminaries, but it's actually much closer to a traditional card game where you draw cards into your hand and periodically discard them. The goal in Road to Enlightenment is not to thin your deck in order to build an efficient action engine, it's to make the best possible use of your hand and your very limited actions each turn.

Certainly the game is not perfect, and it definitely does not feel like a mechanically super-tight design, but it works quite well with the rules as written, and is actually interesting, tense, and thoughtful on the table. The production values are also excellent - nice wooden pieces, a fantastic board, and very good cards. For $12 it's certainly worth trying.